BT Development Mentor Program Archives » Suz and Steph - We are FULL... and off to train! Rss Feed  
Moderators: alicefoeller Reply

of 16

2012-12-31 5:42 PM
in reply to: #4555447

User image

Master
Minneapolis, Minnesota
Subject: RE: Suz and Steph - OPEN! Let's go SBR!!!
MerrickFL - 2012-12-31 3:35 PM

Hello all... Suz and Steph I would love to be a member of your group!

I am 38 and just getting started in Triathlon.  I signed up for my first race- May 2013.  I was a swimmer as a kid and did a lot of weight training in high school and college.  Once I got into the "real" world (aka working world) I started doing more running.  Last year I completed two half marathons, but after some injury issues I was looking for something different.  I decided with my background in swimming and my love of running, that Triathlon might be a great new challenge.

Currently I am starting to build up my cycling legs and getting back into the pool.

I am looking forward to any advice and help along the way and hope to be a helpful addition to your team.

Thanks,

-Alex

Welcome Alex! Where is Merrick?

You have a huge advantage being a swimmer AND a runner. Can't wait to see you progress! What does your training routine look like now?

Cheers!

2012-12-31 8:57 PM
in reply to: #4545748

User image

New user

Franklin, MA

Hi Everyone!  If there is still room in the group, I’d be interested in joining.  My information is as follows:

NAME:  Sheryl

STORY: Just turned 50.  I completed a couple of Sprint triathlons in the last two years and a few 5k’s.  I don't have an athletic background, so my goal was just to complete these events, which I did.  Over the past few months, I haven’t been consistent in working out and have gained some weight.  I’ve been eating more on the go, which has also contributed to the weight gain.  The time I have available to exercise is in the early morning, and although I love it once I get going, getting out of bed in the morning has been a struggle, as I haven’t been sleeping that well as of late.

When I decided to do my first triathlon in 2011, I had this intense sense of commitment, working out 6 days a week, no matter how tired I was, no matter what.  Since then, I’ve been “Trying to get that feeling again”, as the Barry Manilow song goes, but it has continued to elude me.  I’m hopeful that if I’m able to participate in this group, that it will help in this area.

FAMILY STATUS:  I’m in the process of a fairly lengthy journey to single parenthood, the stress of which I believe is contributing to my lack of energy, weight gain, and challenge to remain motivated.  I have two wonderful children who are very supportive of my fitness efforts…a daughter who attends a local junior college and works out a few times a week and a son who is in the 6th grade and is very passionate about baseball.

CURRENT TRAINING:  I haven’t been doing much the past couple of months but plan on using the BT 16-Week Sprint – Swim Focused Program.  The mileage for the event is pretty much the same as the triathlon I’m going to do this year.  It’s a 3 Swim, 2 Bike and 2 Run schedule.  I’m also going to add in some strength training.  My daughter purchased the P90X workout DVDs a while back, and they have some pretty intense strength training workouts that I’m going to mix in.

THIS YEAR'S RACES:  Sharon Sprint Triathlon in Sharon, MA, on August 11th.  I’m also going to try to do a few small road races as well.

WEIGHTLOSS:  This would be great!  Like you mentioned in your profile, I too am at my heaviest. When I started training, I lost about 10 pounds and that was it.   While attending a local triathlon expo, I heard a nutritionist speak.  She began by saying that when women train for triathlons, they don’t tend to lose weight because their bodies are always preparing for the famine that’s coming and the children they may bear…in other words, it’s genetic…which I found quite discouraging.  I’d like to drop about 40-50 pounds, so any help in this area would be much appreciated.

Thanks for your time.  I look forward to participating in this group, if there is still room.

2012-12-31 10:31 PM

New user

Mobile
Name: KimStory: A little over a year ago I had a health scare and was also experiencing high stress levels so I decided to change my lifestyle by seeing a naturalist, learning about nutrition, and working with a trainer. I am very goal oriented so I set a goal of being able to run an 8 minute mile with a group of collegiate athletes (I work on a college campus). Met the goals this fall, dropped 35 pounds, ended migraines...changed my life.Family status: I've been married for 22 years.. And lived in Mobile (coast of Alabama) all of that time. We have 2 active teenagers.. 17 and 14. 3 dogs, 4 turkeys, and a guinea pig.Current training: Was greatly impacted in August because of a Lis Franc injury. Since being released in November I have taken up crossfit 3 days a week and run 5k-10k once a week. Goals: I need ambitious goals to stay interested so I have decided to run some sprint triathlons and maybe a duathlon . I need to learn more about being a serious swimmer with proper form. And I am reading two books on triathlon strength training and the triathletes bible. I believe in the value of strength training because it was what helped me reach the 8 minute mile goal which at 47 and no athletic background seemed a little out of reach but with the right strength training I finally made it. I am also a detail/prep freak. So I like to do as much research and planning as is possible before ting something new. Needing motivation from folks in this age.....that I didn't wait too late to get interested in athletics.Possible races: Grandman in Fairhope, AL. Brett Robinson coastal triathlon in gulf shores, AL and maybe color Run in New Orleans.Would appreciate the opportunity to listen in and learn from you all. New friends are always a blessing.

Edited by Kleousis 2012-12-31 10:33 PM
2013-01-01 6:38 AM
in reply to: #4555698

New user

Orlando
Hey & Happy New Year everyone!Steph,Merrick is a nickname, so I just added on the FL. ;)As for current routine I just started the 20 week sprint 2x balanced beginner program from this site.Sadly I have not been able to run for the past month. I am dealing with either a hamstring or sciatica issue. Dr visit this Thursday to figure out the problem. But for now am able to complete the cycling and swimming parts of the training. So adding in some weights and core work too. I am in the second week of the program, will start adding info to my training log.Best,Alex

Edited by MerrickFL 2013-01-01 6:43 AM
2013-01-01 9:07 AM

total newbie here - 54 years old,  active , love to swim and bike- not really at all a runner, but I signed up for a mini-tri in 7 weeks so I need to get going. It's a 20, 20, 20 one at a nearby university.

live in snowy area so much of what I do right now is indoors, 

swim aerobics 3 times a week (community pool not open to lap swim), lap swim 2 days a week (access to pool limited), bicycle on spinner with dvd right now 2 times a week, and haven't done any running- I do snowshoe and cross country skis though and have access to indoor equipment at local university. 

So, I will be reading away here to make a plan.

2013-01-01 9:20 AM

Happy 2013!  Hope I can join your group:

NAME: Christine

STORY: I am a runner who finally figured out that cross-training prevents injury!  Ran the Chicago Marathon in 2010 after recovering from a pubic ramus stress fracture. Have trained for 2 other marathons that resulted in DNS due to various ailments from plantars facsciitis, calf strains and posterior tibialis tendonitis.  Bought myself a bike for my 40th birthday and have loved it!

FAMILY STATUS: Married for 4 years and we are raising our 3 teenage daughters (17,16, 15) from our previous marriages.  Life is never boring in our house.  Hubby is one of those "natural born" runners who seems to accomplish every single goal he sets.

CURRENT TRAINING: Running 3 days a week, spin class 1 day a week, Insanity fitness class 1 day a week, weight lifting 2 times a week.  I am going to start getting into the pool this week.  I have extremely limited swimming experience.  I am unsure about which tri training program to use at this point.

THIS YEAR'S RACES: At this point--Danskin Sprint in August and Wisconsin Half Marathon in May

WEIGHTLOSS: It has been a continual journey for me.  I am down 81 pounds from my heaviest and I am 28 pounds from my goal.  I have lost the weight by going to Weight Watchers.

Looking forward to learning from the amount of experience here!!

2013-01-01 1:09 PM

User image

Master
Minneapolis, Minnesota
suzimmer - Susie
stephsprint - Stephanie
Threejs
Lovey
Jeptha
Porsche_rn - Kaci
jslacker - John
soundslikeRT
alfredo1414
ConnieVisc
Turtle who Tris - Kelly
MerrickFL - Alex
lovetheseashore – Sheryl
Kleousis – Kim
trailgroomer
usa987 – Christine
familytri - Meg

We've got about 13 new members, a couple of favorites, and 2 leaders. I'm perfectly fine going to 20+ so I'll let you know when we have @ 8 or so more.

Please add these people to your FRIENDS list so you can look at their logs and send them encouragement. Here's how:

On your home page, click on the wrench that says SETTINGS
Then TRAINING BLOG CUSTOMIZATION
Then FRIENDS… add us all in there!
Practice visiting each other’s logs by clicking on their name… then their log… then clicking INSPIRE ME. It’s fun and really helps with inspiration! It’s nice to know someone else is looking at your workouts.

Edited by stephsprint 2013-01-01 1:46 PM
2013-01-01 1:13 PM
in reply to: #4555904

User image

Master
Minneapolis, Minnesota
Sheryl - Love the Seashore... what a great 'handle'!

Sounds like you were off to a good start and have gotten a bit sidetracked. That's fine, it's a new day and a new year! You have a great attitude and supportive children so go ahead!!

Nutrition is one of the tougher things to deal with but I think the main thing is to keep plenty of healthy food around so it's there when you need it. If you have to go to the store, it makes fast food and eating out way too tempting.

We're here if you need us!
2013-01-01 1:16 PM
in reply to: #4556175

User image

Master
Minneapolis, Minnesota
Christine welcome!

The races I couldn't do STILL bother me, but I try to move on. Your weight loss is impressive and I'm glad weight watchers works for you. Any extra weight is hard on the body.

Teenagers, wow... keeps things exciting I'm sure.

I too love the bike, where are you riding?
2013-01-01 1:19 PM
in reply to: #4556157

User image

Master
Minneapolis, Minnesota
trailgroomer - 2013-01-01 10:07 AM

total newbie here - 54 years old,  active , love to swim and bike- not really at all a runner, but I signed up for a mini-tri in 7 weeks so I need to get going. It's a 20, 20, 20 one at a nearby university.

swim aerobics 3 times a week (community pool not open to lap swim), lap swim 2 days a week (access to pool limited), bicycle on spinner with dvd right now 2 times a week, and haven't done any running- I do snowshoe and cross country skis though and have access to indoor equipment at local university. 

You must be in GREAT shape! Running is the one issue I have, maybe always will have, but I don't give up!! Pool access is such a big thing and I hope you can get your laps in at least a couple times a week. Where are you located? One thing you can do now while the weather is crappy is find some stairs and do lots of ab work... planks etc. Build some leg strength. Squats etc.

Cheers! and welcome!

Stephanie
2013-01-01 1:22 PM
in reply to: #4556047

User image

Master
Minneapolis, Minnesota
MerrickFL - 2013-01-01 7:38 AM

Hey & Happy New Year everyone!Steph,Merrick is a nickname, so I just added on the FL. As for current routine I just started the 20 week sprint 2x balanced beginner program from this site.Sadly I have not been able to run for the past month. I am dealing with either a hamstring or sciatica issue. Dr visit this Thursday to figure out the problem. But for now am able to complete the cycling and swimming parts of the training. So adding in some weights and core work too. I am in the second week of the program, will start adding info to my training log.Best,Alex

I went through the hip, sciatic, hammie, piriformis thing last year. I don't think we ever figured out what it was. Lot's of massage and yoga-type stretching along with strength training finally did it. Sounds like you are rounding out a nice program already, can't wait to see what you log!

Stephanie

2013-01-01 1:29 PM
in reply to: #4555960

User image

Master
Minneapolis, Minnesota
Kleousis - 2012-12-31 11:31 PM

Name: KimStory: A little over a year ago I had a health scare and was also experiencing high stress levels so I decided to change my lifestyle by seeing a naturalist, learning about nutrition, and working with a trainer. I am very goal oriented so I set a goal of being able to run an 8 minute mile with a group of collegiate athletes (I work on a college campus). Met the goals this fall, dropped 35 pounds, ended migraines...changed my life.Family status: I've been married for 22 years.. And lived in Mobile (coast of Alabama) all of that time. We have 2 active teenagers.. 17 and 14. 3 dogs, 4 turkeys, and a guinea pig.Current training: Was greatly impacted in August because of a Lis Franc injury. Since being released in November I have taken up crossfit 3 days a week and run 5k-10k once a week. Goals: I need ambitious goals to stay interested so I have decided to run some sprint triathlons and maybe a duathlon . I need to learn more about being a serious swimmer with proper form. And I am reading two books on triathlon strength training and the triathletes bible. I believe in the value of strength training because it was what helped me reach the 8 minute mile goal which at 47 and no athletic background seemed a little out of reach but with the right strength training I finally made it. I am also a detail/prep freak. So I like to do as much research and planning as is possible before ting something new. Needing motivation from folks in this age.....that I didn't wait too late to get interested in athletics.Possible races: Grandman in Fairhope, AL. Brett Robinson coastal triathlon in gulf shores, AL and maybe color Run in New Orleans.Would appreciate the opportunity to listen in and learn from you all. New friends are always a blessing.

Kim, you sound a bit Type "A", which means... you are where you belong!! You need to be goal oriented and a plan executer to do this sport. AND you need to read and learn... which you already do. I have a library of Tri books not to mention everything on my poor Kindle!! Yes strength training is key, strength = speed and endurance. Not to mention fewer injuries... as the Aussies say "good on ya"

I started all this at 46, had a couple of bike accidents, a bad foot problem etc etc. But I love it. Getting to the gym is a life long issue for me, and I'd love to know how you get yourself to DO it!

8 minute miles. I can only dream of that... I'd like to get to 10:00

There is sooooo much information on this site... the articles are fantastic and the forums... well browse the forums and look for people in your area to start... the once you pick some races, there are more forums for those. Fun... what do you do at the college?
2013-01-01 1:39 PM

Happy New Year.  My name is Meg and I live in NJ.  I am totally new to triathlons, but have decided to train for one this summer.  When discussing it with my family, my daughter and husband both agreed they were onboard to train with me.  We were thinking of doing a tri as a family.  My goal is to complete it not worry about time, as I have been inactive for about 13 months.  I used to train hard 5 days a week /2 to 3 hours a day when I was working towards my black belt and krav level two certificate.  Once I received both, i took some time off and put on 30 pounds so I have huge motivation to get training!

I have read some training guides, but I was wondering if anyone had advice and motivation for us as a family.  

I will be 40 in march, enjoy the swimming, hate the running and like to bike as long as I can enjoy the ride!

If there is still room, I'd like to be included in your group.  Thanks.

2013-01-01 1:51 PM
in reply to: #4556475

User image

Master
Minneapolis, Minnesota
Meg, how fit is your family? How old is your child? Do you want to train together and ALL do the tri, or do you want to do a relay?

You are clearly a motivated person as you did your Karate and Krav certs, and you are strong... fantastic!

Scheduling for all of you may not be perfectly in sync, but you should be able to do some swimming and biking together. Running is more difficult as it's unlikely you'll be at the same pace. For long runs, your spouse or child could run at your pace for a while and you can start and finish together. It will be fun, so you'll enjoy it!

I would look online for a race, schedule it.... and then work your program back to a chosen start date. Then get your workouts scheduled!
2013-01-01 2:17 PM
in reply to: #4555559

User image

New user

Fort Lauderdale

Thanks Susie.

This is Aarthi here --> sounds like RT  Smile

Off to a great start to 2013 with a nice 5-miler this morning by the beach. Temps are low 70s and breezy so we couldn't stay away. Besides, today is our 10 year anniversary and we couldn't think of a better way to celebrate! 

Looking forward to sharing my tri journey with this great group...

2013-01-01 2:18 PM
in reply to: #4556475

User image

Extreme Veteran
Lafayette, IN
familytri - 2013-01-01 2:39 PM

Happy New Year.  My name is Meg and I live in NJ.  I am totally new to triathlons, but have decided to train for one this summer.  When discussing it with my family, my daughter and husband both agreed they were onboard to train with me.  We were thinking of doing a tri as a family.  My goal is to complete it not worry about time, as I have been inactive for about 13 months.  I used to train hard 5 days a week /2 to 3 hours a day when I was working towards my black belt and krav level two certificate.  Once I received both, i took some time off and put on 30 pounds so I have huge motivation to get training!

I have read some training guides, but I was wondering if anyone had advice and motivation for us as a family.  

I will be 40 in march, enjoy the swimming, hate the running and like to bike as long as I can enjoy the ride!

If there is still room, I'd like to be included in your group.  Thanks.

Motivation for the whole family?  My wife is hooked on Tri's after doing her first one last year.  I have found that she likes to be challenged.  We challenge each other every month and have a reward program for the winner.  We have challenged each other to the number of times we make it to the gym each month to weight loss for the month.  The smack talk each month motivates you and it helps get my butt out of bed to make it to a spinning class. 

Just an idea.  Good Luck. 

2013-01-01 2:29 PM
in reply to: #4555600

User image

New user

Fort Lauderdale
stephsprint - 2012-12-31 5:30 PM
soundslikeRT - 2012-12-31 11:35 AM

Suz & Steph,

Happy New Year! Do you have room for one more? I'd like to join the team and get going on my training. I'm new to the tri scene but have been a runner for the last 5 years with a few half marathons, 10Ks and 5Ks under my belt. Been biking consistently for the last 4 months or so after I got my road bike and can do a 40 mile ride at 16-17mph. So need to work on my speed there. As for swimming, I used to be a swimmer a long-time ago and am just now getting back to it. Its been a little depressing at how much speed I have lost in the last 20 years but I'm looking to improve over the next few months.

I'm 37 years old, 5'5" and about 112 lbs, so where I question myself sometimes is in the strength required to be a successful triathlete. My upper body strength is poor so I hope to improve upon that this year with the swimming and yoga. I wake up at 5am to get my workouts in as work can get pretty grueling for me. At present I am running 4 or 5 days a week between 4 and 6 miles just to stay in shape and maybe a day or two of biking 20 miles each. I'm a cold weather wimp (despite living in South Florida) and don't get on the bike when the temps drop below 65 degrees.

In 2013, I have a couple of 5Ks and 10ks, a half marathon in October and an Olympic Tri on June 1 in West Palm Beach. I live in Fort Lauderdale and the best part is that my hubby is my training buddy and we will be doing all these races together.

Family: My husband, myself and 2 dogs :-)

Appreciate what you are doing for us newbies and look forward to learning a lot from this group...  

RT... is that you? I'm in Miami and used to live in Fort Lauderdale. Have you heard of the South Broward Wheelers? They are a very nice cycling club with regular rides and were nice to me when I was a beginner. Eat enough protein and build your strength. The flexibility you'll need in your shoulders for swimming is easier to achieve if you are strong. SO NICE that your hubby is your training partner!! I hear you on the weather too... I don't like to ride the Rickenbacker in the cold and wind AND traffic! Hopefully we can answer a lot of your questions here and you will do GREAT on your 2012 Tris!

Yep - its Aarthi, but sounds like RT :-)

I joined A1A riders but have yet to ride with them because of work schedule. My husband and I ride 20 miles at 5:30 am so we stay away from the traffic as much as we can. Its been a lot busier now with the snowbirds in town. 

Maybe I'll get to train with you in person one of these days! 

2013-01-01 3:00 PM
in reply to: #4554275

User image

Edited by Jeptha 2013-01-01 3:07 PM
2013-01-01 3:06 PM
in reply to: #4554275

User image

stephsprint - 2012-12-30 5:12 PM
Jeptha - 2012-12-30 6:54 PM

Hello!  May I join your group?  I am 44, married with 2 kids, and am aiming for a first 'warm-up' triathlon in April for beginners, then a 70.3 on June 1, 2013, and if that goes well, another one July 28, 2013.  I just started learning to swim in September, and although that is going well, it is probably my weakest spot, although I haven't yet raced on bikes.  You may guess that I am counting on a strong finish running! Running I have been doing for almost 3 years, completing a 10k, 3 half-marathons, and 2 marathons so far!

Jeptha

Yes! Welcome Jeptha! The swim is tough for a lot of people, but there's lots of help on this site. Do you have a plan?

Thanks, Steph!  Here is my swim plan:

I have a swim coach who uses the Total Immersion system.  I will start a triathlon swim course next week at the local YMCA, every Tuesday and Thursday evening, and I may also join a swim club/group Friday nights.  I also have some TI DVDs:  an introductory do-it-yourself course (perpetual motion freestyle), tips on breathing better (O2 in H20), and an open water primer (Out of the Box).  TI isn't big on gear, but I have also made use of the Swim Smooth system and have some short, soft fins, and a Finis snorkel (which I'll try out today).  The first time I tried fins I felt like a dolphin!

For anyone who is new to swimming, I have had good results from both of the systems above, and after 3 months working on it, I can say I feel a lot more comfortable in the water, and I am not only confident that I can finish a 70.3, but I see my technique improving week-to-week in time, and in stroke length month to month.  Swimming has been interesting to work on, because it's not so much a problem of fitness (at my beginner stage) but of balance in the water and comfort and moving through the water artfully (trying to, anyway!)

Finally, I'll mention that I like to listen to music running, and I found some underwater earbuds that fit the bill swimming; makes all those hours seem shorter!  Shorter, but not a shortcut - I saw your quote, Steph!

It's nice to see everyone's posts - I'm very happy to have a group!

Jeptha

2013-01-01 3:16 PM
in reply to: #4555904

User image

Expert
Illinois _ Chicago area
lovetheseashore - 2012-12-31 8:57 PM

Hi Everyone!  If there is still room in the group, I’d be interested in joining.  My information is as follows:

NAME:  Sheryl

STORY: Just turned 50.  I completed a couple of Sprint triathlons in the last two years and a few 5k’s.  I don't have an athletic background, so my goal was just to complete these events, which I did.  Over the past few months, I haven’t been consistent in working out and have gained some weight.  I’ve been eating more on the go, which has also contributed to the weight gain.  The time I have available to exercise is in the early morning, and although I love it once I get going, getting out of bed in the morning has been a struggle, as I haven’t been sleeping that well as of late.

When I decided to do my first triathlon in 2011, I had this intense sense of commitment, working out 6 days a week, no matter how tired I was, no matter what.  Since then, I’ve been “Trying to get that feeling again”, as the Barry Manilow song goes, but it has continued to elude me.  I’m hopeful that if I’m able to participate in this group, that it will help in this area.

FAMILY STATUS:  I’m in the process of a fairly lengthy journey to single parenthood, the stress of which I believe is contributing to my lack of energy, weight gain, and challenge to remain motivated.  I have two wonderful children who are very supportive of my fitness efforts…a daughter who attends a local junior college and works out a few times a week and a son who is in the 6th grade and is very passionate about baseball.

CURRENT TRAINING:  I haven’t been doing much the past couple of months but plan on using the BT 16-Week Sprint – Swim Focused Program.  The mileage for the event is pretty much the same as the triathlon I’m going to do this year.  It’s a 3 Swim, 2 Bike and 2 Run schedule.  I’m also going to add in some strength training.  My daughter purchased the P90X workout DVDs a while back, and they have some pretty intense strength training workouts that I’m going to mix in.

THIS YEAR'S RACES:  Sharon Sprint Triathlon in Sharon, MA, on August 11th.  I’m also going to try to do a few small road races as well.

WEIGHTLOSS:  This would be great!  Like you mentioned in your profile, I too am at my heaviest. When I started training, I lost about 10 pounds and that was it.   While attending a local triathlon expo, I heard a nutritionist speak.  She began by saying that when women train for triathlons, they don’t tend to lose weight because their bodies are always preparing for the famine that’s coming and the children they may bear…in other words, it’s genetic…which I found quite discouraging.  I’d like to drop about 40-50 pounds, so any help in this area would be much appreciated.

Thanks for your time.  I look forward to participating in this group, if there is still room.

Welcome Sheryl,

I've done some of the P90X workouts, they're intense. I also like the yoga one.

Glad to hear you have a plan picked out.  It's wonderful that your kids are supportive of your fitness goals. Will you be doing the P90X with your daughter?  That could help keep you motivated too.

Susie

2013-01-01 3:24 PM
in reply to: #4555960

User image

Expert
Illinois _ Chicago area

Kleousis - 2012-12-31 10:31 PM Name: KimStory: A little over a year ago I had a health scare and was also experiencing high stress levels so I decided to change my lifestyle by seeing a naturalist, learning about nutrition, and working with a trainer. I am very goal oriented so I set a goal of being able to run an 8 minute mile with a group of collegiate athletes (I work on a college campus). Met the goals this fall, dropped 35 pounds, ended migraines...changed my life.Family status: I've been married for 22 years.. And lived in Mobile (coast of Alabama) all of that time. We have 2 active teenagers.. 17 and 14. 3 dogs, 4 turkeys, and a guinea pig.Current training: Was greatly impacted in August because of a Lis Franc injury. Since being released in November I have taken up crossfit 3 days a week and run 5k-10k once a week. Goals: I need ambitious goals to stay interested so I have decided to run some sprint triathlons and maybe a duathlon . I need to learn more about being a serious swimmer with proper form. And I am reading two books on triathlon strength training and the triathletes bible. I believe in the value of strength training because it was what helped me reach the 8 minute mile goal which at 47 and no athletic background seemed a little out of reach but with the right strength training I finally made it. I am also a detail/prep freak. So I like to do as much research and planning as is possible before ting something new. Needing motivation from folks in this age.....that I didn't wait too late to get interested in athletics.Possible races: Grandman in Fairhope, AL. Brett Robinson coastal triathlon in gulf shores, AL and maybe color Run in New Orleans.Would appreciate the opportunity to listen in and learn from you all. New friends are always a blessing.

Welcome Kim!

I too am a believer in strength training and specific muscle training. Runner have a tendency to develop muscle imbalances (week hamstrings and glute meds) targeting those can really make a difference.  

And congrats on achieving your 8 min mile goals.  Time to set a new goal.  Just remember it's never too late to get started. I did my first triathlon at age 45. First marathon at 48, so set that goal and jump in!

2013-01-01 3:28 PM
in reply to: #4556157

User image

Expert
Illinois _ Chicago area
trailgroomer - 2013-01-01 9:07 AM

Hi Trailgroomer (guess that's from the snowshoe and cross country ski interest)  What's your first name?

Sounds like you are fairly active already, despite not running. I hear snowshoeing is great cardio work.  Would love to try it sometime.

Susie

2013-01-01 3:40 PM
in reply to: #4556175

User image

Expert
Illinois _ Chicago area
usa987 - 2013-01-01 9:20 AM

Happy 2013!  Hope I can join your group:

NAME: Christine

STORY: I am a runner who finally figured out that cross-training prevents injury!  Ran the Chicago Marathon in 2010 after recovering from a pubic ramus stress fracture. Have trained for 2 other marathons that resulted in DNS due to various ailments from plantars facsciitis, calf strains and posterior tibialis tendonitis.  Bought myself a bike for my 40th birthday and have loved it!

FAMILY STATUS: Married for 4 years and we are raising our 3 teenage daughters (17,16, 15) from our previous marriages.  Life is never boring in our house.  Hubby is one of those "natural born" runners who seems to accomplish every single goal he sets.

CURRENT TRAINING: Running 3 days a week, spin class 1 day a week, Insanity fitness class 1 day a week, weight lifting 2 times a week.  I am going to start getting into the pool this week.  I have extremely limited swimming experience.  I am unsure about which tri training program to use at this point.

THIS YEAR'S RACES: At this point--Danskin Sprint in August and Wisconsin Half Marathon in May

WEIGHTLOSS: It has been a continual journey for me.  I am down 81 pounds from my heaviest and I am 28 pounds from my goal.  I have lost the weight by going to Weight Watchers.

Looking forward to learning from the amount of experience here!!

Welcome Christine!

You must hail from the Chicago or Milwaukee area based on your races.  I'm just north of Chicago.

Congrats on the weight loss thus far. Impressive!  

I can relate to the injuries, especially the posterior tibial tendonitis.  That one put me in a CAM boot for 4 weeks last April. 

For swimming: Does the pool you swim at have any Master's groups?  I used to think that Master's swim was only for those "uber" swimmers. Not so.  The one at my club welcomes any level and is very supportive of less experienced swimmers. It helps to have a group to motivate and educate. (or just into getting your butt in the pool)

Susie

2013-01-01 3:41 PM
in reply to: #4556623

User image

New user

Franklin, MA

Hi Susie,

Yes, P90X is quite intense!  I have to tell you, I have yet to make it through the yoga one!  I've done yoga before and could not believe how challenging it was!  I did the workouts for about a week and could already feel the difference in my body.  As much as part of me was tempted to do it for the 90 days, especially to help with weight loss, I enjoy the variety that comes with triathlon training, and the social aspect of it as well, so for now, I'm going to vary which DVDs I do a couple of times a week or so.

It would be nice if my daughter and I could workout together, but right now we are on different schedules.  She doesn't get in from work until later at night and I workout early in the morning.  She is going to try and accompany me to a spinning class on a Wednesday morning when she doesn't have to work the night before.

I am excited about the training plan, as it is pretty much the mileage that I'll be doing for the triathlon in August.  I've had to mix up a couple of days because of when spinning class is offered, but other than that, I'm going to do my best to stick to it.

Thanks for the encouragement.  I hope you have a great week!

Sheryl

2013-01-01 3:42 PM
in reply to: #4556525

User image

Expert
Illinois _ Chicago area
soundslikeRT - 2013-01-01 2:17 PM

Thanks Susie.

This is Aarthi here --> sounds like RT  Smile

Off to a great start to 2013 with a nice 5-miler this morning by the beach. Temps are low 70s and breezy so we couldn't stay away. Besides, today is our 10 year anniversary and we couldn't think of a better way to celebrate! 

Looking forward to sharing my tri journey with this great group...

Yeah for the New Year's Day Run!

I too ran by the beach today...only subtract about 55 degrees.

So, who else celebrated the New Year with some type of training?

Susie

New Thread
BT Development Mentor Program Archives » Suz and Steph - We are FULL... and off to train! Rss Feed  

of 16