BT Development Mentor Program Archives » MJEWEN Spring 2013 Mentor Group - CLOSED Rss Feed  
Moderators: alicefoeller Reply

of 21

2012-12-23 7:13 PM

User image

Extreme Veteran
Rochester, MN
Subject: MJEWEN Spring 2013 Mentor Group - CLOSED

WHEN CAN YOU START MENTORING CONSISTENTLY: Now

GROUP FOCUS: Triathlon and training, any distance

NAME: mjewen / Mike  

STORY: I did my first tri in June 2006, knowing very little about the sport.  I was hooked half way through that first race.  The next year I became involved with a new triathlon club and served on the board through the end of the 2012 season.  I will be 56 on Jan 2.  I have raced 38  tris since I started in 2006 starting with sprints and moving up in race distance over the years.  I had knee surgery in November 2010 and came back with a “recovery” season in 2011 and an IM focused season in 2012.  I am typically near or on the podium within my age group.  Strong biker & runner, MOP swimmer. 

My BT logs and race reports are public if you want to check them out. 

FAMILY STATUS: Married, 2 adult kids.  Live in Rochester, Minnesota.  My wife, Barb, does 1-2 tris per year and my son, Scott has done 10-15 tris.  

CURRENT TRAINING: I do not follow a specific plan, I roll my own based on my race schedule.  I do use Garmin devices and use heart rate in my training.  Waiting for the Garmin Vector to move to power on the bike.  Currently using TrainerRoad and virtual power for off season bike training. 

THIS YEAR'S RACES: 2012 – IM Wisconsin, 2 HIM, 2 Olympics  

2013 RACES:  5-6 sprints thru HIM, 2-3 duathlons.

WEIGHTLOSS: Not a priority for me although I have lost about 20-25 pounds since I started my triathlon career 

WHAT WILL MAKE ME A GOOD MENTOR: I have a wealth of experience across multiple distances.  I remember what is like to be new to the sport.  I have the time to monitor my group and typically respond quickly to questions.  I have been a mentor once before here at BT and also in other activities.  I enjoy the triathlon life style and sharing my passion for triathlons with others.  

Edited by mjewen 2012-12-30 10:46 PM

2012-12-28 1:07 PM
in reply to: #4546309

Subject: ...
This user's post has been ignored.
2012-12-28 6:03 PM

Regular
Libertyville, IL
Subject: RE: MJEWEN Spring 2013 Mentor Group - OPEN

Mike,

Not exactly sure how this site or the mentoring program works but am very intrigued.  I have completed 3 sprint tris (one each of the past 3 years).  Near the back of the pack but really enjoyed the experiences.  Would like to try a few tris this summer but need to know what I am doing and train with more of a focus.  Do you help with training ideas for the group?

Hopefully there is room for me.  I will wait to hear if there is a spot for me in your group and if yes, will write my profile...

Thanks in advance.  Daniel

2012-12-28 6:39 PM

Extreme Veteran
Rochester, MN

Welcome to the group, Thomas. You get bonus points for being the first! 

Daniel, the way the mentor groups work is you pick a mentor group that sounds like a good fit based on the leader's bio.  Myself as the leader and other group members will all offer advice/encouragement/motivation as needed.  Groups are OPEN until they get 10-15 members at which time the group leader changes the initial thread to CLOSED.  You are certainly welcome to join my group.  If you want in, post your bio. 

2012-12-28 7:26 PM

Expert
Oklahoma

Name: EKH/Emile

Story: I'm 40 years old and started running about 5 years ago.  Before I started cycling I was running about 1800-2000 miles per year. Two years ago I ended up injuried and started cycling to stay fit while recovering and really enjoyed cycling so I started kicking around the idea of doing a triathlon.  I ended up doing two duathlons that first year and last year did another duathlon and a 70.3.  I'm a pretty good runner when not injuried and usually finish FOP in the run but I'm a BOP swimmer and biker.  I usually podium in running events and duathlons(because by run makes up for my biking).  My first and only tri was a 70.3 and I didn't finish anywhere near the top it was more of a test of survival. 

I'm a school counselor/Psychometrist/wrestling coach so I stay pretty busy during the school year, but have the summers off and get to devote a ton of time during the summer to training.

Family Status: Married with three children.  I have an adult son, 7th grade daughter and a son in early childhood.  My wife likes to cycle and my daughter has done a kids tri and a 5k.

Current training: I hurt my hip in wrestling practice about a month ago so my training has really taken a hit.  I've been able to do some cycling with the injury but unable to run.  Last year I used Finks competitive plan for the 70.3.  I plan on tweaking the plan some but using the same plan for next years 70.3.  I use Garmin devices and HRM for training.

This years races: Redman 70.3, 1 duathlon, and 1 5k.

2013 races: 2-3 sprints and 70.3.

Weight Loss: Not a priority for me.  I lost about 40Ibs when I started running.

Goals for 2013: To improve my cycling and stay as injury free as I can.

2012-12-28 7:45 PM

Regular
Libertyville, IL

Mike,

This sounds great to me.

FOCUS - Fitness - dropping weight, toning up and gaining confidence.  Ideally complete two sprint tris and understand what is involved with an Olympic distance.

NAME - longrun26/Daniel

STORY - I am 53, married for 29 years and am a midlife career changer having left my corporate career and now I am a 7th grade literature/language arts teacher.  Have been teaching for 8 years.  I ran Chicago Marathon in October - my 10 marathon.  My goal is to be fit, healthy and and be a mentor for my students.  I am 6'0" and weight 242.  My most recent visit to my doctor went very well.  Still med free and all blood chemistry levels in great shape.  Just wants me to get to 200 pounds.  Sounds like a mountain in front of me.  My doctor told me to look at my diet - I am now Paleo (no processed foods/no grains/no sugars) - and to look at triathlon to drop weight.  So Mike, you are my mentor!!!

FAMILY STATUS - Married for 29 years.  Live in Libertyville, IL (just north of Chicago).  Have two sons. My 25 year old lives in New Zealand and and manages an organic vineyard.  My youngest son is 21 and a junior in Anthropology at Illinois State - really supports the Paleo life style.  My wife is running Boston Marathon again and my boys are super fit and into health.  I mountain and road bike, run marathons - just want to do so under 200 pounds.

CURRENT TRAINING - Have been focused on the Paleo diet since Chicago Marathon in October.  My workouts started up again this week in Wisconsin when my wife, youngest son and I were at our Door County Lake House for Christmas. 

THIS YEAR'S RACES - Calendar is completely empty!!!

2013 - The sky is the limit.

WEIGHT LOSS - I am 6'0" 242.  My goal is sub 200.

WHY THIS GROUP? - Something inside tells me that this is meant to be.  Sometimes you just have to trust your gut and jump in with both feet!

2012-12-28 10:26 PM

NAME:  landmammal / Ken

STORY:  Was into football/wrestling in high school in Nebraska,  lots of weight lifting in college (NE) and for a few years after that.  Moved to Austin. Year round nice weather and bored of lifting... so decided running a marathon would be cool. Had knee problems from ramping up mileage too fast - had no idea how to train at all.  Got mono from running in a marathon relay when I should have been on bed-rest.   Got hitched and moved back to Nebraska. Stopped working out for about 8 years.  Decided on a whim in fall 2010 to run a marathon in Spring 2011. Death marched to a 5:26 but still loved it.  Started running more regularly, ran 4:40ish in Fall 2011.  Loved it more.  Trained on treadmill through the winter, ran 3:45 in Spring then 3:52 in Spring.  Learned a lot about proper training, put in lots of miles over summer.   Ran 3:12 in Fall 2012.  Lots of time on the treadmill here in the winter got me to looking into expanding the hobby.  Horrible swimmer (hence my username).... been working on that this winter with pretty regular 30-45 minute swims around my running schedule.  Read the book Iron Will about the start of the Iron Man - pretty inspiring.  Bought a cheap road bike and looking forward to hitting the road after the ice melts a bit. 

FAMILY STATUS: Married for 13 years with two kids.  

CURRENT TRAINING:  Base-building for spring marathon and about to start Pfitz-70 18 week plan.   Practicing flopping around in pool with minimal water inhalation.  I rode a spin bike at the Y for 30 minutes last week. Cycling shoes are in the mail so I can clip in

THIS YEAR'S RACES:  Indoor tri to get my feet wet in Feb.  Undecided on other Triathlons... would love to do Ironman 70.3 in Lawrence but swimming too shaky at this point.  Definitely running Lincoln Marathon (sub 3:00 or bust) and Chicago Marathon (goal of 2:45 to qualify for NYC).  I'd say the 2:45 is my main goal for the year (pre-existing goal I don't want to give up on) because I've been chipping away at that goal for what seems like awhile now and don't want to give it up.

So you could say my triathlon goals right now are just get some experience with the bike and swim and any other things I need to learn to get started as a triathlete.  Right now its all new to me... bike gear, swimming, etc.  Long term goal is to become competitive at the full IM distance.... with dreams of racing in Kona.  I amuse myself with that goal now because I can barely swim but I still believe its going to happen.

2012-12-28 11:38 PM

Extreme Veteran
Rochester, MN

Welcome Emile, Daniel and Ken!  We currently sit at 4 with room for more. I'll close the group when we get 10+ and at that time I'll communicate some things I plan on doing with the group.  

2012-12-29 9:41 AM

New user

Colorado

Hi Mike,

I would like to join your group!

Name lmarbas/Laurie

Story I am a 42 year-old mom of 3 teenagers, wife, and family medicine physician.  The Boulder 70.3 in August will be my first triathlon.  Signed up to participate after the urging of some friends of mine that have done several.  I finished my first marathon in October 2012 and have been an avid runner for years.  I am excited and very nervous at the same time.  I can do the run without any problems but I don't have a road bike, just a mountain bike and can't remember the last time I was in a pool. Am I crazy?  I am in excellent health and resistance and cardio training are a daily aspect of my life.  I am familiar with swimming as my kids have swam competitively for 5 years, but it is different as the swimmer! Yikes!  Any help in that area will be huge. 

Family status Married to Patrick for almost 20 years, kids 14, 16, and 18 (in college)

Current training Will need to seriously focus on swimming.  Will likely take up spin class as I don't have a bike yet and there is 6 inches of snow right now in Colorado. Running for over 18 years so I feel comfortable here.

2013 Races Boulder 70.3 on August 4th

2012-12-29 3:03 PM

Extreme Veteran
Rochester, MN
Laurie, glad to have you join the group.  You get bonus points for being our first female! 
2012-12-29 5:11 PM

Expert
Oklahoma
Laurie I was in your shoes not that long ago.  Good run background but hadn't done any swimming in over 25 years except playing with my kids in the water.  The thing that helped my swimming more than anything is I found a swim coach and paid for 3 lessons.  It was amazing what 3 lessons did for me.  I would have loved to continue taking lessons but I live in rural Oklahoma and was having to drive almost 2 hours for the lessons.  Also, Boulder will be wetsuit legal and a wetsuit makes things a lot easier. 

2012-12-29 7:03 PM

Regular
UNITED STATES

Hi Mike, 

My name is Bill and I was scouting some of the groups to find one that would be a good fit. I am 55 and have 3 adult children so right away we have something in common. Anyway i did a sprint tri in 2012 but have battled injuries much of the year and am having doubts that i am cut out for this. I am 5"10" and 185. I also did a half marathon in "11". I don't get a lot of support here and i don't personally know anyone that does triathlon and don't know of any clubs around. My wife (who i love dearly) wishes i would quit, she just can't wrap her head around the amount of training this takes. So i am searching for camaraderie and knowledge in hopes of doing a HIM someday along with a marathon. 

2012-12-29 8:34 PM

Boise, Idaho

Hi Mike!

I have to say, this mentor program sounds interesting.  I'm usually very independent but I know I have questions.  Let's see what happens!

Name:  watercamper/Ken

Story:  I just turned 56 this December.  I've been an active guy all my life:  backpacking, telemark skiing, cross country skiing, alpine skiing, white-water kayaking and rafting, running (in my younger years), road & mountain biking, scuba diving, etc.  

I was complaining about my lower back one day to a friend (injury/surgery) who happens to be a swim coach.  She told me the best medicine would be swimming.  So - I took a swim class at the Y to learn "how to swim properly".  Later, I was doing laps in the pool and sharing a lane with a guy that was a phenomenal swimmer.  During a break together I told him that I would just like to be able to swim half as good as him.  He said there was a class every Mon & Fri at noon that would improve my swimming, the first two are free and if you like the classes, the cost is only $20 per month.  I tried it.  Guess what?  He was the instructor - a professional triathlete & a great guy & instructor.   And the $20 - was to join the YMCA Tri-club.   I did of course.  I was determined to swim better.

Well, long story short:

2012 Races:  I did a short sprint called the Y-Not-Tri (won my age group) and then a regular sprint (came in 5th).  I was hooked.  I LIKED these weird people.  My wife also did these two races with me.

Weightloss:  I'm one of those fortunate souls in the world.  I don't worry about weight other than not losing too much now that I train a lot.

2013 Races:  I've got quite a few listed of course.  My major goals are: (1)  train for an half marathon as running (due to past sports related injuries) is my weakness & complete one in May.  If this works, consider an half IM in August.  If not, train & compete in maybe 2 sprints and an olympic or two.

Current Training:  I've been using one of the BT 20 wk run focused Olympic plan but the holidays and the snow have been tough to deal with.  And a case of runner's knee.  I'm also using Jeff Galloway's run/walk training method to increase my distance.  I've been using my own spreadsheet that I developed to track everything.  I hope to continue to use it in place of the BT log.  I't on Google Drive and I can share it with anyone but if you prefer the BT log, I'm sure I can just log the info twice.

Hopes from a mentor:  As you are a strong runner and we are similar in age, I will be picking your brain on this.  I have a long way to go before I consider myself a competent runner.  

Hope from my teammates:  support to continue with this crazy lifestyle!

OK Mike!  Let me know if I'm accepted.

2012-12-29 10:44 PM

New user

Colorado
Thanks for the extra points for being a girl! I also live in a rural area but do have access to swim coach who happened to be Olympic alternate so I think I will hit her up for a few lessons for sure. Any advice on cheap good bikes?
2012-12-29 11:51 PM

Extreme Veteran
Rochester, MN

Ken, you're in! 

Bill, we'd love to have you if you think my group is good fit. 

Laurie, the key to finding a bike is getting a bike that fits you.  A poorly fitted bike will likely cause comfort issues which will result in decreased desire to ride which result in spending too much time on the couch which result in overeating which result in....just having some fun here.  A good bike fit is key.  I'd highly recommend going to an LBS (local bike shop) and checking with them on used bikes and/or find out if they will give you some fit advice.  Fitting a tri bike is different than fitting a road bike so it would be good to ask about their experience with both.  We'll discuss this and more once our group fills up so keep the questions coming but I'd like to wait on detailed responses until we close the group.  

2012-12-30 2:46 AM

New user

Chester, Va.

Hi Mike. Do you have room for one more???

Name: Ramskat/ Tony

Story: I have been fairly active most of my life. I go crazy sitting around with nothing to do. I have done several 10 k runs and decided last year to do a triathlon. I ran one event last year which was a sprint distance.  After finishing that I decided right there before I left the course that I was going to go further in 2013. I am currently signed up for another sprint distance tri in May and an olympic distance one in August.

Family Status: I am 43 years old and have been married for 23 of those years. I married my high school sweetheart and we have 2 wonderful boys ages 12 and 9. No one else in my family does any triathlons.

Current Training: I am currently doing one of the beginner programs on this site. I believe it is the sprint to olympic 20 week program with 2x training each week. one short training session and one long training session. I have put all of my training into the training log on this site so far. I started the training around the beginning of Dec.

This years races: Kinetic Sprint on May 5th and Culpepper International  on August 3rd. If I am ready early I may do the Jamestown Olympic Tri in June.

Weight Loss: Need to lose several pounds but it will come off with the training. SO its not a big deal right now.

Edited by ramskat 2012-12-30 2:48 AM

2012-12-30 5:26 AM

Pessac, Aquitaine
Hello, my name is Jessica, I am a 22 year-old student, currently studying in Italy, but about to move to Belgium. I have never competed in a triathlon, or even run competitively. I run quite regularly though, about once a week if I average it out, not for very long as I get a bit bored sometimes. I cycle everywhere, but I haven't considered it a sport until now. I am quite fast when I am late for class (almost every day), but I rarely go great distances. As far as swimming is concerned, I can get from point A to point B in the pool, but with little elegance or speed haha. Going to the pool in Italy costs 6 euros each time, so not great on a student budget, but in a month's time, I will have access to free pools, which will increase the likelihood of me being in the water.Anyway, I am quite curious to experience what triathlon training has to offer. I think I would enjoy the variety of activities involved. I am not looking to lose weight, just become more healthy, even though my core could do with a good workout.I have not signed up for any races yet, but I am thinking about it. Any advice, inspiration or encouragement would be appreciated!
2012-12-30 9:31 AM

Expert
Oklahoma

Laurie you first need to figure out if you want to buy a road bike or tri bike.  If you decide to go with a road bike you can usually find really good deals on craigs list.

2012-12-30 9:43 AM

Regular
Libertyville, IL

Good morning from Illinois! Daniel here...

It seems like the group is coming together with an wonderful mix of experience/novice, age/sex, and each person having skills that can lift others.  I am excited for this and anxious to get started.

As for me, I have been working on the Power 90 series of tapes from Tony Horton. This is the precursor to the P90X program and I really enjoy the tapes.  I have my heart rate monitor ready to go, a health club with a pool a mile from our home (open 24/7) and for the snow - snow shoes, cross country shoes.  I am running out of excuses. My wife is training for the Boston Marathon again and is enjoying training with me - lots of support there!

Unlike several in this group, I am looking to drop weight (45 pounds).  I have adopted the Paleo lifestyle (no sugar, grains or processed foods) and enjoy cooking and the way I am feeling. 

Happy Sunday!  Have a great day!  Go Bears!  Although they always amaze us with how good they can be one week and absolutely suck the next week!  Then, I am a life long Cub's fan!!!  Another story!

Daniel

2012-12-30 10:21 AM

Veteran

Room for one more?

NAME: melanfi / Melissa

STORY: I started swimming after a meniscectomy and ACL reconstruction on my left knee in 2010. I started triathlons the next year - only sprints so far. My main limiting factor is that knee. I had an ACL repair done over 20 years ago which failed, so I was walking (and running) around on an unstable knee for many years. I have very little cartilage left there, so it will flare up from time to time making running impossible and even walking kind of troublesome. Training is a balancing act of staying strong but not overdoing it. I have worked on changing my gait and adopted the Galloway run/walk method for my marathon training. My doctor thinks that limiting running will help me delay further deterioration, so that one marathon was probably my first and last. We will see how this year goes!

Also, I just took a swimming class for the first time and it has really helped me feel stronger in the water.

FAMILY STATUS: Married, 3 children (16, 10 and 6). I live in Mount Pleasant, South Carolina, and work from home. I'm 47 :-)

CURRENT TRAINING: Right now I am swimming 2x per week and running 3x, keeping the mileage low. I haven't been riding my bike regularly. I stopped tracking my progress in the logs, but I plan to start that again because it really helped me stay motivated last year.

THIS YEAR'S RACES: In 2012, I completed 4 sprint tris, a few 5ks, three 10ks (every one of them a PR!), a 15k race, a half marathon and my first marathon. 

2013 RACES:  I plan to do at least 4 sprint tris again this year, plus a few 10ks, and a 15k coming up in a few weeks. My husband also does some of these sprints with me, although we don't train together due to scheduling. My oldest daughter wants to do a triathlon with us this year!

WEIGHT LOSS: Definitely these holiday pounds need to go, so maybe 5-8 would be great.

2012-12-30 10:23 AM

Hello all I would like to join the group.

Name: Emdalem43/Emily

Story: I am 43 and starting to get back into shape. I would like to compete in my first sprint tri in April. I have been out of the exercise world for a long time and spent all of last year focusing on changing my eating habits and getting rid of extra weight. I had reconstructive rt knee surgery two years ago which really has made my running gate look like some creature from the walking dead when I run. I have never raced in a tri but it has been my life long goal. I just want to get my first one under my belt and just finish. I may not be the fastest person in the group, but I will make it to the end. I work fulltime and am active in my community, but I am protective of my work out time.

Training: I work out five days a week during my lunch hour. I have been doing this since August and keep this time very protective. I usually get in cardio first on the treadmill, bike or elliptical going for about 3 miles and then I get in some light weight work out along with an abdominal work out three times a week. I have started doing brick work outs on Saturdays when I can spend more time at the gym or outside. I live in a very rural part of North Eastern Arizona which makes my swimming training very non existent. The nearest indoor pool is 35minutes away and it keeps hours that are not compatible with when I can go. I am a strong swimmer I just hope I have enough cardio in to be alright. Running is my nemesis and I have a love hate relationship with it.

Family status: I have two boys one is 21 and the other 14 I have been married for 22yrs. My husband is supportive of this adventure.

Weight loss: Last year I dropped 43pds and I want to loose another 20 this year. I know women we are never satisfied but I want to be healthy when I am 100

Race: Sprint Tri in April and if that goes well another one in August.

What I am looking for: I need help coming up with a work out plan to make sure I can run this race in April. There is a lot of information on the web but some of it is way past where I am work out wise and I don't want to get hurt in the process of training for this.

2012-12-30 3:04 PM

Veteran
Ft. Lauderdale

Hi, Mike, I'd like to join your group. 

NAME:  tmoons/ Terry

STORY: I'm 54 live in Ft Lauderdale, FL and am very new to endurance racing. I did my first Triathlons in 2012. Miserably failed the first sprint in September. I hyperventilated in the water about half way through and did not finish. I then finished a sprint and the Ironman Miami 70.3 in October, a Half Marathon on Veterans day and  a Sprint Tri on Thanksgiving day.  I have always been active, mostly soccer and running along Ft Lauderdale Beach with an ocean swim a couple times a week and decided that Triathlon would be a great way to put it all together. Ultimately I'd like to do a full Ironman or full distance but decided to work my way up to that distance and  take it easy (distance wise) this year with training and just get used to the racing atmosphere and all the energy that goes along with it.

FAMILY STATUS: Married and a 15 year old son. His first tri is in January 2013- a HITS Open distance race (100 m swim, 3mile bike ride, 1 mile run)

CURRENT TRAINING:  I'm doing strength training until end of February then will probably try cross-fit once or twice a week. Running 2 - 6miles a few times a week, Swimming quite a bit and I try to put in 60 miles a week on the bike.   I'll begin a more formal training mid February.

2013 RACES: January: Swimming HOF 1 mile Open Water Swim; HITS Sprint Tri in Naples, FL. Feb: Olympic Distance  in Pt St Lucie FL. March: Great Clermont Tri Int'l Distance, Clermont FL.  April: Swim Miami 1 mile open water Swim; Nautica South Beach Int'l Distance. May: HIM Florida 70.3. June: Pan American Masters Championships 1km distance swim. July: New York City Int'l Distance Tri (Lottery entry). September: Escape Miami Int'l Distance. October: HIM Miami 70.3.

MY GOALS:  get better on the bicycle  / get more comfortable swimming in large groups of people

WEIGHT LOSS:  not really. I'm 5'9" 185-190. Feel really good at 170, but the weight will go when the holiday diet is over ;-)

I'll look forward to posting training logs once I figure out how to do it..... 

2012-12-30 9:19 PM

New user

Would like to join your group, if you are still open.

FOCUS -  complete a sprint Tri without injury

NAME - themomma03/Denise

STORY -I am 43, been fairly active my whole life, but mostly with group sports in high school, and never liked running until about 6 years ago. Have completed a a few half marathons, I bike some and own a road bike (biking was my first love, but family/time commitments made me have to give it up until recently). I am not a very strong swimmer, but hope to work on that this spring. I have done some noncompetitive women's triathlons and had a blast. So I feel like now is the time to commit to a "real" triathlon. 

FAMILY STATUS - I have been married for 18 years, have three boys (15, 14, and 11). I work full time, (plus some part time). My husband is fairly supportive, but not in the "I'll-be-there-cheering-you-on-during-the-race" kind of way, but just a "I-know-this-means-a-lot-to-you-and-I-support-you-but-think-you-are-crazy-for-training-so-hard" kind of way. Tongue out

CURRENT TRAINING - I work out 5-6 days a week, 2-3 days running about 4-6 mi., spin class twice a week, and lifting all body areas throughout the week. I am an early morning workout person regardless of weather. I have a two friends I run with that help motivate me to get out and run in all kinds of weather.

(I had ankle surgery last December, so am slowly building my mileage back up. My ankle bothers me when I add miles, but am hoping with progressive, steady increases, I will be able to do another half marathon at some point again.)

THIS YEAR'S RACES - Women's Triathlon-June 2, and maybe some short races before then if I can afford it. Then possibly another Triathlon in August.

WEIGHT LOSS - I hold steady as long as I keep working out. I am probably about 10 lbs. over my ideal, but I am more concerned with proper training and no injuries rather than weight loss. 

WHY THIS GROUP? -After reading several others' posts, I felt that this group would provide support, experience and advice in areas that I lack. Plus, Mike you seem to like the idea of sharing your knowledge to newbies as well as experienced athletes.

2012-12-30 11:22 PM

Extreme Veteran
Rochester, MN
Subject: RE: MJEWEN Spring 2013 Mentor Group - CLOSED

I have now closed our group and here is a list of our members: 

Mike - mjewen (mentor)

• Thomas - brickbd
  • Emile – EKH
  • Daniel – longrun26
  • Ken – Landmammal
  • Laurie – LMarbas
  • Bill – wrhall2
  • Ken – watercamper
  • Tony – ramskat
  • Jessica – jessicaleeg
  • Melissa – melanfi
  • Emily – emdalem43
  • Terry – tmoons
  • Denise – themomma03

Bill, you expressed an interest in our group, please post on our thread if you still want to hang out with us. 

Judging by the number of posts, a lot of you are either fairly new to site or "lurkers" those who follow the threads but don't post much.  Nothing wrong with either, just stating a fact.  For this group to work well, we'll all have to participate (as best as time allows, I know it is tight for many).  You taken a good first second step by signing up for a mentor group (even better signing up for my group).  The first few include making the commitment to start working out, maybe  with a race as a target along with other goals, finding BT, etc.  Hopefully some of the next steps will be participating in the group, following a plan or maintaining consistency in your training/diet/weight loss and reaching your goals.  

BT has a wealth of info.  I would encourage all of you to start using the training log to log your workouts and activities.  This will help with accountability to the group.  We can help motivate each other thru the tough times.   Many of you have stated you are following or starting a plan.  If you are at the right level on BT you can import plans right into your training log.  Or just log your times/distance as you workout.  There are some neat charts/graphs available.  My logs are accurate back to 2008.  Previously I used Garmin Training Center for run/bike workouts and now use Garmin Connect.  I have used SportsTrack in the past as well.  I used hand written logs when I first started. 

Along with logging your training, please go into your training log and give your BT blog a name.  Then add the rest of the group as friends.  Click on settings (the wrench at the top of the display), then click Training Blog Customization to view/change settings.  For friends and add each of us by screen name listed above.  Type all or part of the name until you get the right name, highlight the proper name and click submit.  Also, make sure your logs are either public or at least open to friends. 

To allow me to keep track of posts to the group thread I have turned on email notifications.  To do this scroll down to the bottom of any page in the thread and check the toggle email notifications.  You will get an email with a direct link each time the thread gets a new post.      

Within the next couple of days I'll post more on my thoughts on getting us started.  At any time feel free to post questions on our thread.  I'll try to always chip in with my response but anyone should reply based on their experience.  Please reply on the thread so we can all see the reply, unless it happens to be something personal and not to be shared.  Remember, we are not coaches, just offering advice based on our knowledge/experience. 

Also, I will be referring to each of us by first names rather than screen/BT names.  Since we have 2 Kens how about we use KenL for Landmammal and KenW for watercamper.

First assignment for the group is for everyone to share how you arrived at your BT screen name.   I’m one of the boring ones - simply my initials and last name. mjewen =   m (first name - Michael/Mike) j (middle name - Jerome) ewen (last name - pronounced U-win). 

Let's ROCK & ROLL!!!!

2012-12-30 11:40 PM
in reply to: #4553755

New user

Chester, Va.

Emily,

I used one of the free workout plans on this site for my first sprint tri last year, and it worked out great. It was the " Sprint 2x balanced 20 week" program. It does very well at slowly increasing your distances over the course of three weeks, and the fourth week of the month reduces your training so your body can help recover. You basically do one short training session and one long training session each week for all three activities. Not sure where you are with your cycling and swimming but this program worked fine for me and I was basically starting out with both. Hope this helps.Smile

New Thread
BT Development Mentor Program Archives » MJEWEN Spring 2013 Mentor Group - CLOSED Rss Feed  

of 21