BT Development Mentor Program Archives » MJEWEN Spring 2013 Mentor Group - CLOSED Rss Feed  
Moderators: alicefoeller Reply

of 21

2013-04-07 6:41 PM
in reply to: #4546309

User image

Boise, Idaho
Subject: RE: MJEWEN Spring 2013 Mentor Group - CLOSED
Terry - what was the name of the triathlon in Miami either today or yesterday?  I heard that my swim coach Kevin placed 11th in the pro division but I couldn't locate the race.  

2013-04-07 7:00 PM
in reply to: #4690439

User image

Veteran
Ft. Lauderdale

Nautica South Beach Triathlon

here is the website: http://www.nauticasobetri.com/

hereare the pro results page:  http://edge.raceresults360.com/custom/nautica2013/

... cow... his average bike speed was 42.4 mph.......kevin everett

2013-04-07 7:01 PM
in reply to: #4690456

User image

Veteran
Ft. Lauderdale

nauticasobetri.com

2013-04-07 7:04 PM
in reply to: #4690459

User image

Veteran
Ft. Lauderdale
you might have to cut and paste the links..... the go to international distance and click on results when you get there
2013-04-07 10:24 PM

User image

Boise, Idaho
Thanks Terry!  Yes, that's him although he placed 12th.  They did get the bike speed wrong.  It's more like a little over 26 mph or 42 kph.
2013-04-08 6:12 AM
in reply to: #4690718

User image

Expert
Oklahoma

watercamper - 2013-04-07 10:24 PM Thanks Terry!  Yes, that's him although he placed 12th.  They did get the bike speed wrong.  It's more like a little over 26 mph or 42 kph.

WOW! That is smokin!

I got up this morning and ran 8mi.  I felt tired and sluggish this morning.  I'm glad tomorrow is a rest day.

2013-04-08 8:15 AM

User image

Veteran

Bill: I hope you are hanging in there, despite the slow recovery. When everything is going well, it's easy to forget how much of a drag the injuries can be and how frustrating the recovery can be.

Ken: wow, he is fast on the bike!

Terry: that sounds like perfect weather for an ocean swim.

Emile: That sounds like the ideal weekend! Nice weather you are having.

Our race on Saturday was great! It was the Cooper River Bridge Run from the middle of Mount Pleasant to downtown Charleston, almost 40,000 people signed up for it. I believe it is one of the biggest 10ks, maybe second to the Peachtree one in Atlanta. Only 31k finished, probably because the weather prior to the race was bad for a few days - cold, windy and rainy, and a lot of people were put off by that. But race day was perfect weather, in the low 50s to start and 60-ish at the finish.

We took the shuttle to the start and spent some time drinking water, talking and people watching before getting into our corral. We were in corral C, so we didn't have long to wait to get started, maybe 10 minutes after the starting gun. I ran with my sister for the first mile, which meant that I ran a lot faster than I normally would in the first mile, about a 9-minute mile. She took off after that and I just stayed steady until the bridge, when I slowed to about an 11-minute mile for the incline. I was pretty tired, but sped up for the decline, especially when I saw that I was right at 30 minutes for the 5k, so on track for an hour race, which is great for me. Anyway, I definitely felt my knee by the end of the decline side of the bridge, so I ran a little gingerly on mile 5, but not slow. I could tell that I was favoring my left leg because my right quad was a little tight. So once I got to mile 5 and knew that I just had 1 mile left, I picked it up a little bit, finishing at 1:00:28. That's a PR for me, since my last best 10k was 1:00:55.  I am pretty happy about it, because I did not feel very well prepared for this race.

Edited by melanfi 2013-04-08 8:19 AM
2013-04-08 12:16 PM

User image

Expert
Oklahoma
Melissa awesome job on the PR! 40,000 for a 10k Wow! That is a huge race it is bigger than most marathons. Again congrats on PR.
2013-04-09 3:30 AM
in reply to: #4691007

User image

Veteran
Ft. Lauderdale
Great run, Melissa. Your weather was alot like ours... we had a front pass through for a few days before, but it cleared up nicely for the weekend. Sounds like a fantastic day... and to do a PR is even better, even when you didn't feel like you were well prepared. Your body knew better though.
2013-04-10 6:17 AM

User image

Expert
Oklahoma

How's everybody's training going this week?

I was planning on running an hour this morning but woke up to lightning strikes so jumped on the bike for an hour.  That is the great thing about tri training is there is always something to do.  Back when I was just strictly running I would have either had to cancel running today or tried to fit one in later in the day if the storm cleared.  I'm hoping the storm clears this afternoon because I want to swim but the pool closes if there is lightning.

2013-04-10 8:07 PM

User image

I've had an interesting week or so of training.  On Saturday I was scheduled for a tune-up race but couldn't find any and had three soccer games to watch (my kids) so I decided to do a 10k on the track.

The track at my local high school was locked when I got there.  No problem, I found a place in the fence I could crawl under.  So I'm about a mile into my solo race against time and the track coach shows up.  After a few laps I ask him if his team is coming in to practice and he says yeah.  I told him I'd leave but he said "nahh.. stay, they can just run around you".  

I thought that was nice of him, but then got to wondering if that was a commentary on my speed or lack thereof.  It turned out that I was doing most of the running around the track team, but I think it might have been junior high kids.  I'm so old I can't really tell anymore.

Anyways, my 10k time was very disappointing at the time.  About 3 minutes slower than I'd hoped to run to equate to my goal time for the upcoming marathon.  I've decided that I started too fast and also just was off that day.  My calves were hurting pretty bad before I even started.  Looking forward to an actual 10k race here in town on the 27th as a real tune-up.

Then on Sunday I was supposed to run 18miles.  I was dragging and couldn't hit my long run pace comfortably from the start.  So I decided to cut it short and only did 8 miles.   I think this turned out to be a great decision... been feeling much stronger since then.  I think my body just needed some extra recovery time.   I'm also making the transition to real running after lots of treadmill running and I think its hitting slightly different muscles.  Really glad I have this week and next before its time to taper.

Tomorrow is looking like it might be another long-run (15m) on the treadmill unless the weather improves.   I'm really, really hoping to get outside tomorrow morning and try to continue a good week of "rebound" training after the disappointments over the weekend.

2013-04-11 6:22 AM
in reply to: #4695595

User image

Expert
Oklahoma

Ken - I always seem to go through a little funk about 3/4 of the way through a long training plan and like you said it is usually my body asking for a break.  The good news is I always seem to come back stronger after the little funk.  How did the run go this morning?

I did a brick workout this morning.  It went pretty well except I have a shin that keeps nagging me.  It really doesn't hurt during workouts but have a dull pain off and on during the day.  I've been doing a lot of lower leg strength training hoping that will help work through it.

2013-04-11 7:46 AM

User image

Veteran

Ken, that's actually really hard to do a 10k on your own to mimic a race, don't you think? That's great that you managed to get it done despite the challenges. And that sounds like the right call on that training run. You must have had a gut feeling to stop when you did - much better than getting injured.

Emile - I hope that's just a minor thing with the shin pain. Could it be a little inflammation?

My training hasn't been good this week. But I did make it to the pool yesterday, and I'll be running today at lunchtime. I'm planning a bike ride with my husband on Saturday. We have our first sprint tri on April 20th, so just a week away.

Mainly, I'm concerned about the chilly water. We don't have wetsuits - now, I've considered getting one, just on the chance that I might do an olympic distance tri one of these days, but the water here is mostly really warm. It has just been unseasonably cold this spring so far, and I expect that the lake where this swim will be held will be in the 60s. Hopefully the upper 60s. The ocean is 64 today, I just checked, but I guess that would be colder than a lake, wouldn't it?

Anyway, this is all just the pre-race jitters. I could still rent a wetsuit, and I'll consider that, but I would definitely need to practice swimming in that wetsuit prior to the race, too.

2013-04-11 8:24 AM

User image

Emile:  Ended up using the tread-mill today, but it went well.  Felt good at the higher end of my long-run pace.  I think its like you said... a 3/4 of the way done funk.    Does the pain in your shin feel like its in the bone?  I've never had a pain in my shin.. usually my calves or achilles if its below my knee.

Melani:  Good luck on the sprint tri!  I'm jealous you get to do that in April.  Hope you have fun and its not too cold on the swim.

2013-04-11 12:40 PM
in reply to: #4695945

User image

Expert
Oklahoma

Ken - Glad your run went well.  I think I have shin splint on my right leg.  I've had this happen several times before it is usually manageable but aggravating.

Melissa - That is cold!  Although I will have to admit I'm a big wuss when it comes to cold water.  A lot of tri stores rent wetsuits so that is something you might check into.

2013-04-13 10:04 AM
in reply to: #4696497

User image

Veteran
Ft. Lauderdale

hey everybody... i seemed to also be going through a double dose of the funk. I just couldn't do much more that a recovery run on Tuesday. did a brick this morning.  20-ish/3-ish. I've been really busy with work lately.... will post more later...

Melissa - good luck on your event.

2013-04-13 11:08 AM
in reply to: #4698831

User image

Veteran

Terry - that's an awesome brick 20+3. Are you training for an olympic distance?

So what is on everyone's agenda for this weekend?

My legs are toast! I did a 23 mile ride with my husband, my first real outdoor ride with wind and cars and all that good stuff, after a winter season on the trainer. Yikes, I need to get out there more often to get my outdoor legs back! It was fun, though, good weather and lots of bikers and runners out today.

Yesterday, I swam and did a great, very intense yoga class given by a visiting instructor. I felt like a million bucks, but then couldn't get to sleep last night because I was so keyed up. Then my son (7) was in our bed last night (long story) ... AND then ... my cat got into a "fight" with a neighbor cat through the window and wouldn't quit yowling until I went outside at 2 a.m. and shoo-ed the other cat away! What a crazy night!

Enjoy your weekend everyone!!

2013-04-13 1:38 PM
in reply to: #4698871

User image

Veteran
Ft. Lauderdale
Melissa- I have a Half iron distance on May 5 (cinco de mayo) and another on June 1.  I have a long bike ride next weekend. I'm trying to get more time in the saddle.

Emile - the Adamo TT saddle is great. I've put about 60 miles on it now with no issues to speak of, a little uncomfortable from time to time, but I really like it.
2013-04-14 8:41 AM
in reply to: #4698871

User image

Expert
Oklahoma

Melissa - I'm with you outdoor rides are awesome after being cooped up in the house on the trainer all winter.  I use to have the same problem that you mentioned about riding on the trainer all winter and then when you finally get outside it feels like you are out of biking shape.  This always happened to me until I started using a heart rate monitor.  My problem was even though I thought I was working hard on the trainer I really wasn't doing the same intensity as outside and this was proven to me when I started using the HRM.  Now I know excatly how hard I'm working on the trainer and when I go outside it usually seems a little easier than the trainer.

I love hearing you cat story.  There is a cat in my neighborhood that every once in awhile comes by and stands in front of our glass storm door looking in our house.  It drives my cat nuts.

Terry - I hate the funks!  If I get in a training funk sometimes going out for a training ride/run with a buddy helps me.  Your 70.3 is coming up fast!  How is your nutrition plan going?  I love my Adamo TT too.  It took about 2 weeks to work out the sorness stage but now I absolutely love this saddle.

I went out for a run yesterday and had to cut it short my calve seized up on me again!  I'm hoping I can ride this afternoon because it is still very tight.  I hate this stupid injury I've constantly dealt with this for the last 2 years.

2013-04-14 8:56 AM
in reply to: #4699457

User image

Regular
UNITED STATES
Your calf injury may be something that a fellow Tri-Athlete named Ben Greenfield might help you with if you go to his site he has a podcast that addresses issues just like yours and although not a doctor he is so well versed in care and recovery of injury that he may help you out and its free. He is a nutritionist by trade. Another site is Endurance planet and they also help with injuries and coaching they have a couple of podcasts such as (Ask the coaches) and (Ask the Ultra runner) with Lucho who is a world class ultra runner, again its free advice very helpful. hope this helps. just google these.
2013-04-14 10:54 AM

User image

New user

I had about 11 days off of work around Easter and did a lot of training. Several brick workouts, an outdoor intense ride as well. I definitely could feel it this past week! I took a rest day yesterday, and today the sun is actually shining in Nebraska and the weather is supposed to be about 60 degrees, which is really warm compared to the crappy cold days we continue to have.

I am going to swim, then bike today. I ordered a heart rate monitor, but haven't received it yet, but hope to do some training with it to help me figure out just how far I can push myself without burning out.

I have never used one in the pool....you can use a heart rate monitor in the water if it is water resistant, right?

I wasn't able to get my bike fitted, as we found out we have to get our main water drain that leads out to the city drain, repaired and it will be several thousand dollars to get it done. Yuck! So there went my money that I planned to spend on the fitting. I did a little tweaking on my own before my ride last weekend. However, I know it is not completely right as I had a sore neck and sore knees, (I don't usually get sore knees from riding, but I think it might have something to do with the running I did that morning as well.)

Good job to all you on your training and races. It is so exciting. I wish I had more time and money to be able to do more races, as there rides and races every weekend from now to next fall.

I need to get ready for my swim and ride, so gotta go! Enjoy your day! 

2013-04-14 10:56 AM

User image

New user

Oh, I spoke too soon! The sun isnt' shining anymore afterall! Hahaha! oh well! Gotta train anyway, rain or shine!

2013-04-14 11:22 AM
in reply to: #4699457

User image

Veteran
Ft. Lauderdale

Denise.... great to hear from you again....glad the training is coming along. The weather should start cooperating pretty soon also...

Emile- funny you should mention nutrition for the 70.3... thought about that for about half my run today... The nutrition is going well. It's the hydration I'm concerned about... It's been mid 80's to low 90's here lately. Today I ran 6.4 to the gym, swam 800 yards then 2.25 miles home today in 85 degrees with 83 percent humidity.  I'm beginning to run more mid-day on the weekends to adjust to race conditions.  I took three hammer endurolytes about 20 minutes before i left and I brought along some gels and a bottle of water for the run.... had to stop at a mini-market along the way to get more water.  I was taking a few mouth-fulls every 4-8 minutes and sweating profusely.  I had a coconut water at the gym to replenish and by the last mile i thought i was feeling pretty good.  I took three more hammer endurolytes when I got home. It was good - no cramping and it seems like the funk is gone......

What helped me and my tight calf was Ken's advice and the lateral hops and other plyo exercises to stretch and strengthen the calves.....self massage and a foam roller also helped loosen mine up.

Bill - ben greenfield has lots of good advice

2013-04-14 3:33 PM
in reply to: #4699576

User image

Expert
Oklahoma

Bill - Thanks for the tip on the site.  I will have to check it out.

Denise - Good to hear training is going good.  Getting a HR monitor was one of the best things I have purchased for training.  I know some HR monitors work in water the one I have doesn't.  It is water proof and I can wear it during the swim in a race but it doesn't record HR data until out of the water.

Ken - Sounds like your are getting your nutrition plan down.  Great workout today!

I just got back from a 43mi ride outside today.  It was great to ride outside in 75 degree weather although I did have to deal with 25mph wind.

2013-04-14 4:03 PM

User image

Expert
Oklahoma
Denise sorry about your water drain. That is the things always works it seems. Your rockin' along good thinking you have everything squared away then bam a bump in the road.
New Thread
BT Development Mentor Program Archives » MJEWEN Spring 2013 Mentor Group - CLOSED Rss Feed  

of 21