BT Development Mentor Program Archives » Leegoocrap & Newbz rowdy Mentor Group - Closed Rss Feed  
Moderators: alicefoeller Reply

of 39

2013-07-19 8:00 AM
in reply to: Leegoocrap

User image

Expert
Greenville, SC
Subject: RE: Leegoocrap & Newbz rowdy Mentor Group - Closed
Originally posted by Leegoocrap

awesome! I'm hoping to win the TT in my omnium (actually I hope I win the whole thing haha) next weekend.

Rubbing huh... Did you get the wheel seated in the drops straight before you cranked the skewer down? I have to be careful about that on my bikes with rear facing dropouts.

it did look crooked a little, but nothing extreme. i never took the wheel off the back for it to get out of alignment prior to it rubbing. i took the tire/tube off when i got home last night and a ton of water came out. it was just puddled in there so im guessing the heat caused it to expand as the water evaporated and expanded the side wall of the tire a little. there was audible sloshing in my tire after my race last weekend; i guess it never drained/dried out.

2013-07-19 1:57 PM
in reply to: Clempson

User image

Cleveland OH
Thats sweet Clempson, Sounds like you got a lot of riding to do with your new Power meter.

Got in a run on tuesday,

swam thursday, want to do something today just so dang hot.
2013-07-21 6:15 AM
in reply to: smithat05

User image

Cleveland OH
ended up running Friday night only 3 miles.

Rode yesterday afternoon after the storms came through. Drove over to the national park, only rode 20 miles but got in some nice hills. Did one hill 3 times, in preparation for my next tri.
2013-07-21 8:58 PM

User image

Cleveland OH
Ran 7 miles this morning, pushed my son in the jogging stroller for the first time. Dang it is a lot harder. finished in 1:02:00
2013-07-23 9:28 AM

User image

Veteran
New Hampshire
Originally posted by smithat05

Ran 7 miles this morning, pushed my son in the jogging stroller for the first time. Dang it is a lot harder. finished in 1:02:00

I did a few runs with a stoller before. Hills are tough with one for sure. Whenever I see someone really moving at a good clip with one of those I give them props because I know it's tough.

Got into a pretty good rhythm with running and biking lately but haven't been able to get a swim in at all. Hours at the Y just don't work for me where we live now. There's one near my work so I might experiment with lunch time swims, even if it's just once a week and once in the morning or something.
2013-07-23 8:40 PM
in reply to: jonD81

User image

Expert
Greenville, SC
Originally posted by jonD81

I did a few runs with a stoller before. Hills are tough with one for sure. Whenever I see someone really moving at a good clip with one of those I give them props because I know it's tough.

Got into a pretty good rhythm with running and biking lately but haven't been able to get a swim in at all. Hours at the Y just don't work for me where we live now. There's one near my work so I might experiment with lunch time swims, even if it's just once a week and once in the morning or something.

i dread the possible day i have to run with a stroller. looks tough.

yeah i ended up changing pools because the hours didn't work for me. seemed like a waste of money to pay for a pool membership i couldn't really use.

2013-07-23 8:50 PM

User image

Expert
Greenville, SC

Thats sweet Clempson, Sounds like you got a lot of riding to do with your new Power meter.

it came in the mail today. drove home from work during lunch to open the boxes. threw a cassette on and by that time it was time to head back to work. rushed home, threw on some tubes and tires, re-calibrated my rear derailer, and off to my tuesday night group ride.

zipp 101's are heavy. i immediately noticed this when i held them and my mavic ksyriums side by side. road very well though, won a couple of primes tonight testing them out. power meter worked flawlessly straight away with no problems pairing or giving me crazy numbers. was zero when i didn't pedal, really low when drafting, and high coming out of corners and during pulls/sprints.

i was very surprised at the overall results, i expected some really low power numbers compared to what i get on my trainer since everyone says how horrible of a measurement virtual power is to the real deal. wasn't really the case while i was riding, i had 3s average on display and the watts to effort level seemed about right, maybe even a tad higher, but i've never ridden with power outside so i had nothing really to compare it to. NP was 262W and my average was pretty low, as expected from a group ride, at 161W.

now i need to set up a 20 minute test on the trainer to see where my TrainerRoad numbers need to be...
2013-07-24 9:32 AM

User image

Champion
Knoxville area
My np to avg. watts is usually a pretty wide gap, especially on group rides.

For the test, really take those first 5 minutes *under control* - it's REALLY easy to try to go hard out the gate (especially if you use Coggans method where you've already done a 5' burnout) and then end up spinning the end.

When you hit 10' you should be hurting pretty bad, when you hit 15' you should be on the brink of crying / begging yourself to stop. The last 5' if you can see two feet in front of you or you can manage to curse out loud then you aren't going hard enough.

Every time I finish a test I almost cry I'm so happy to be done
2013-07-24 1:19 PM

User image

Expert
Greenville, SC
Every time I finish a test I almost cry I'm so happy to be done

yeah... im not looking forward to it. i'll probably just do my workout how i normally do for a week or so and run my garmin along side TrainerRoad just to get an idea of what the power meter is doing before setting up the test.
2013-07-24 8:26 PM

User image

Expert
Greenville, SC
looks like im in for a 30w hit to my FTP. ugh.. humbling.

so much work to do now
2013-07-27 4:46 PM
in reply to: 0

User image

Expert
Greenville, SC
79.3 miles this morning into the NC mountains. was crazy riding through there after some severe thunderstorms. a lot of roads that looked like rivers and a ton of gravel and trees in the road. was fun though, got in three big climbs of 1400, 1200, and 1000 ft. 6000ft climbing total.

ended up being a decent week for me training wise. finally got some decent yardage in the pool, got back above 30 miles in running, and had some good bike workouts with the new PM.

hope everyone else is able to get out there and have some fun too

Edited by Clempson 2013-07-27 4:47 PM

2013-07-28 9:40 PM

User image

Champion
Knoxville area
First Omnium in the books.

Made some mistakes in the road race, biggest of them was not waiting for the sprint to attack. I went about 200m too early and got caught with the finish in sight, finishing with the pack in 13th :/

Next was the TT, which I managed to get 2nd in (beat by 2 seconds!)

This morning was the crit. After learning my lesson in the RR, I waited for the last lap to make my move. I picked a *good* wheel, but not the best wheel to follow. Ended up sprinting out 4th place.

Overall I just squeeked onto the Omnium Podium in 3rd place!
2013-07-29 6:58 AM

User image

Veteran
New Hampshire
That's some good climbing in the mountains there. I always forget you guys have some decent climbs down south. I always thinking of everything south of me (New England) to be flat probably because it's warm and there isn't the ski mountains down there that I think of up here.

Congrats on a podium. Are you at peak bike form right now in terms of the time in the season and the time in the bike schedule season? Sounds like it's all about picking your timing with those races. No clue how you can summon that much power at the end like that.

I've just been plodding along. Since that last disaster of a race I've only missed one day training, and it was a scheduled off day anyway. Did a good 20 mile bike yesterday and found a great new route with no stop signs or lights for a while. I'm starting to ramp up my running and I even got a swim in on Saturday. Sadly once my wife is back to work in September (teacher) things will calm down because she won't be making plans for us every second of the weekend.
2013-07-29 9:18 PM

User image

Expert
Greenville, SC
awesome. just getting a good routine together where you frequently do something is the hardest part, it took me a few weeks with my new work schedule to get back into a rhythm.
2013-07-29 9:21 PM

User image

Expert
Greenville, SC
congrats on the podium chris! i've got another time trial next week with a tri a few days after.... my first crit/road race is coming up fast and im getting pretty nervous. not sure if im doing more than i can handle by racing back to back days....

training with the power meter is going well. i bought the book by hunter allen and andrew coggan to guide me along, and it looks like i'm just going to be data collecting for a few months so i have enough to read results off of.
2013-07-30 12:14 PM

User image

Veteran
New Hampshire
I have a ride tomorrow morning with a guy who lives about 10 minutes from me. He's training for a 70.3 and has a pretty beefy ride planned for the morning so I'm going to tag along and just try and hang on. I'm psyched, I know it will push me and no way will I want to pull up lame. Today is an off day so it works out pretty well, should be nice and fresh for the morning.

2013-07-31 7:58 AM

User image

Veteran
New Hampshire
Ride was a good time. 14 miles and he was going for 210-220 watts constant output the whole time, he had the power meter, not me. Of course he was on a P2 down in aero most of the time. I'm 50# heavier, 8" taller and on a road bike haha. He said he was high on the power most of the time, sometimes dipping into 240/250 on the hills. It was his HIM pace, for me it was probably closer to my sprint race pace. I don't have power readings on my bike, but my HR was consistently Z3/Z4 and we were doing 3 minute miles pretty much the whole way with some high 2's thrown in but of course my watch froze and I only got half the ride recorded. All in all though it was a good ride. One big thing I noticed was on any downhill (not huge ones on this route) he would take off beacuse he was still pushing that 220W and typically I keep a decent speed on the downhills but I don't push like I do on the flats, and then the opposites on the hills. He'd keep the constant 220W and I'd come up on him fast because apparently I don't ride a consistent effort, which I've never really thought about but it does make sense. TR says my FTP is 221, so based on his wattage and the totally unscientific method of assuming because of my weight, crappy aero position and height which turns me into a sail, I was pushing close to my FTP for the full ride, which was about 45 minutes.
2013-07-31 9:08 AM

User image

Champion
Knoxville area
Sounds like a good ride

I have a tough time riding "steady" power up hills too. Just not what I was born to do haha
2013-07-31 9:12 AM

User image

Champion
Knoxville area
Originally posted by Clempson

congrats on the podium chris! i've got another time trial next week with a tri a few days after.... my first crit/road race is coming up fast and im getting pretty nervous. not sure if im doing more than i can handle by racing back to back days....

training with the power meter is going well. i bought the book by hunter allen and andrew coggan to guide me along, and it looks like i'm just going to be data collecting for a few months so i have enough to read results off of.

I think you've certainly got the fitness to be fine going back to back so long as you keep fueled up and warmup/cooldown responsibly. What's the distance / order of the races?

2013-07-31 9:16 AM

User image

Champion
Knoxville area
Originally posted by jonD81

Congrats on a podium. Are you at peak bike form right now in terms of the time in the season and the time in the bike schedule season? Sounds like it's all about picking your timing with those races. No clue how you can summon that much power at the end like that.

I think my bike fitness is close to peaking, but my TT'ing is worse (or at least not accurately representing my fitness) due to the fact that I haven't ridden my TT bike much this year. I think I was certainly the "strongest" guy in the CAT5 race, but not the smartest or best prepared.
2013-07-31 7:28 PM

User image

Expert
Greenville, SC

Originally posted by Clempson

I think you've certainly got the fitness to be fine going back to back so long as you keep fueled up and warmup/cooldown responsibly. What's the distance / order of the races?

crit on saturday: 35 minutes
rr on sunday: 34 miles

so the shorter event is first. i think i'll be fine, just need to watch what i do saturday night haha

2013-07-31 7:30 PM

User image

Expert
Greenville, SC
first masters swim tonight. the coach had me only do drills the whole time to assess my weaknesses. apparently i don't pull deep enough, and my head is so far down in the water that my back is actually impeding my forward movement instead of my chest like most novice swimmers. he said he doesn't ever see much of that, but told me to practice trying to look forward when i swim to fix it.

my homework for next week is get some fins.
2013-08-01 4:07 AM

User image

Champion
Knoxville area
you should be fine... if it's like mine was then think of the road race as a 33 mile warmup with a 1 mile race at the end.
2013-08-01 9:11 PM

User image

Expert
Greenville, SC

you should be fine... if it's like mine was then think of the road race as a 33 mile warmup with a 1 mile race at the end.

thats going to be one painful mile. would you recommend riding my best bike in the crit or road race? i was thinking of just riding my aluminum F series Felt for the crit, and pending how i deem everyone's handling bringing out my carbon CR1 for the road race. don't race what you can't replace is what i hear.... the F series is supposed to be a pretty good race bike anyway from what i hear, long a low and very stiff.
2013-08-02 12:34 PM

User image

Champion
Knoxville area
I rode my CAAD8 instead of my CR1... of course I've been riding my CAAD a lot lately anyways.

The F should have a bit better (for the race) geometry for it.
New Thread
BT Development Mentor Program Archives » Leegoocrap & Newbz rowdy Mentor Group - Closed Rss Feed  

of 39