BT Development Mentor Program Archives » Leegoocrap & Newbz rowdy Mentor Group - Closed Rss Feed  
Moderators: alicefoeller Reply

of 39

2013-08-04 8:15 PM
in reply to: Leegoocrap

User image

Expert
Greenville, SC
Subject: RE: Leegoocrap & Newbz rowdy Mentor Group - Closed
yea thats the route i was thinking. i'll probably take it on some of my group rides to get used to riding it outdoors again. right now it is delegated to the trainer.

set some PR's this weekend for riding distance and climbing. wash out caused the group i was with to climb one of the hardest climbs in the area at the very beginning of our ride because thats where the detour sent us..... made things interested when the big climb was still to come. the treat at the top was an amazing over look on the blue ridge parkway and of course the descent.

2013-08-05 6:55 AM
in reply to: Clempson

User image

Veteran
New Hampshire
Had a couple good workouts the last few days. I did some intervals last week running which were great. My typical training pace is 9:30 min/miles to stay in my Z2-ish, but I threw in 1 minute intervals and was surprised that I was able to get down under 7mm for the minute, then I'd let my HR drop back into Z2 while jogging, then go into another interval. I've been taking the running very easy in terms of pace since that always seems to be where the pain pops up, but lately it's been cool. Did a 30 mile ride Saturday afternoon at an average pace, also felt good. I have a race (another sprint) this Sunday. I'm thinking I'll go Bike/Run/Swim the next 3 days, then do some yoga and light weights towards the end of the week to keep things loose and be good to go on Sunday. The race Sunday is a first time event and it's literally about 1.5 miles from my house. I'm hoping they do a good job so it becomes an anual event just beacuse it's so close.
2013-08-09 8:02 AM

User image

Expert
Greenville, SC
had a success moment yesterday. i accidentally left my goggles at the pool after my masters class on wednesday... went back and they were still there yesterday afternoon! was pretty glad about that because i need them for my race this weekend.... went ahead and picked up another pair though in case this happens again and they aren't there.
2013-08-09 12:16 PM

User image

Champion
Knoxville area
Jon, good luck Sunday!

Had to dial back my swim this morning... think I may have overextended earlier in the week. Have (sofar) had a good week of running, hoping to get my mileage back up soon.
2013-08-11 2:01 PM

User image

Veteran
New Hampshire
Had my race this morning. The official results aren't posted yet, but I was in the first wave and crossed the line at 1:27:XX, so I'm pretty sure that's my time. I reset my watch by mistake at some point, so all I know is i had a super slow swim at 9:46, then after that it's kind of up in the air. I just need to swim more, it's the most difficult for me to make time for and it shows. I had to stop once. 440 yard swim and I just couldn't get in a groove. Kind of pathetic That stunk and I know I was towards the back after the swim. The bike I just took it easy knowing I wanted to save something for the run. I had a few people pass me, passed a few, for the most part I was riding solo the whole time. Most uneventful bike I've had so far really, kind of sad. Couple good hills which I'd normal try to power through, but I took them easy this time. The run was a trail run, and it was trail-y. I thought it would be a little flat, but it was like an adventure trail run. There were two spots where we went up something so steep that I literally grabbed roots with my hands while going up. Most people were walking it up, but I felt great. Seriously rolled my ankle around 2.5 miles, but it was one of those quick rolls that I've done a million times in basketball so it just kind of popped back up, although it's swollen now haha. Whole run I just had life in me, it was such a nice change from barely chugging through the run. If it was a flat road course I think I would have had 8 min miles, which for me is pretty good right now. I know the 1/4 mile total that was on the road I was moving.

My guesses for times are:
9:46 for the swim (which includes a long run up a "trail" of rocks (and tears).
T1 - 3 minutes
Bike - 50 minutes
T2 - 2 minutes
Run - 24

That's 1:29, but it's something close to that as long as the master clock was started at the first wave. I'm glad I paced myself better this time around and if I can get my lazy a$$ to the pool a few times I think my swim times would show. One more race for the year in September which is my first tri I ever did, which was just last year haha. 6 weeks away and I've been in an awesome groove for training so if I can nail these 6 weeks I'd love to see some great progress through my first full year of triathlon.
2013-08-13 9:39 AM
in reply to: jonD81

User image

Champion
Knoxville area
Jon,

First, no worries on the swim. Hell I had to pull out of my sprint at the beach It happens to us all.

The bike... think of it as a good test to see where your optimal pace is near. If that was easy (sounds like from your energy on the run it was) adjust a little bit for next time. (just not too much haha)

Run sounds awesome

2013-08-13 9:40 AM

User image

Champion
Knoxville area
20' Power test for me tonight

I think this and the 500m sprint test are the only two workouts I ever get anxious about (and 5k's...man 5k's hurt)
2013-08-13 2:55 PM

User image

Expert
Greenville, SC
good job on the race, i can't imagine doing a trail run for the last segment... sounds brutal.
2013-08-13 2:59 PM

User image

Expert
Greenville, SC
had a good race this past weekend, finished 5th overall, which is the highest i've placed to date, and i credit the PM for keeping my bike split in check and saving my legs for the run.

400m swim: 7:39
T1: 1:03
15mile bike: 36:03
T2: 0:41
5k run: 19:09
Overall time: 1:04:33

have a hard group ride tonight and another TT on thursday.
2013-08-13 4:05 PM

User image

Champion
Knoxville area
Crushing it Kyle! I wish there were a few more TT's for me this year :/ Lucky!

Got my 20' test in a few minutes ago. 307watt Avg. Up from 291 last time I tested.

Feeling a bit sick right now
2013-08-13 7:54 PM

User image

Veteran
New Hampshire
Man, you guys are killing it. Kyle dude, you're just flat out fast. Those times aren't even comprehensible to me, awesome work. And 307 watts, that's gross. I imagine the pile of sweat you left on the floor is gross too.

Thanks for the nice words too. I feel like I'm starting to turn a corner by getting in more consistent training. It's funny, sometimes the busier you are the more you get done because you know you don't have any time to d*ck around. I'm working more lately and doing 2 hours a day of studying for my PE Exam on top of trying to get a workout in every day, so I know I don't have a minute to waste.

2013-08-15 7:01 AM

User image

Champion
Knoxville area
Yes, the sweat (and snot haha) was pretty gross under the trainer.

Another Crit race last night. Won the prime (and got a "the stick") but got a little too hot into a corner on the bell lap and went off road... was able to keep it up but still a bit frustrated with how my crit racing is going. I just keep having such mixed results... either I do great or I totally blow it. Definitely a different animal than any other racing I've done.
2013-08-15 7:03 PM

User image

Expert
Greenville, SC
glad you were able to keep it up, im feeling pretty hesitant about the crit i am/was planning to do in a few weeks.

won my TT tonight (CAT 4/5). averaged 295w for 20 minutes of it and i feel pretty confident about that number so i'm going to use it for my trainer road FTP calc and start using the new power meter for training and not just data collection.
2013-08-15 7:04 PM

User image

Expert
Greenville, SC
Originally posted by jonD81

Man, you guys are killing it. Kyle dude, you're just flat out fast. Those times aren't even comprehensible to me, awesome work.

thanks, its amazing what a year can do... those times seemed unreal to me last season too
2013-08-16 4:33 AM

User image

Champion
Knoxville area
That's solid! You are going to beat me to a 300w FTP at this rate!
2013-08-18 8:11 PM
in reply to: 0

User image

Expert
Greenville, SC
ha i don't know about that... big difference between 295 and 307.... but it is a goal for next season to be there before the season starts up.

picked up a new garmin TT mount too. this was prompted by a former pro racer who came up and asked about my results after my TT and wanted to talk to be about my position on the bike... he said everything looked great, except my position on the cockpit, mainly the width of the bars. he showed me what setup he was running and suggested i try to get more compact, and right now its my garmin barfly mount which is keeping me from doing that... so out with it. he even suggested going as far as getting a new cockpit if i wanted which had the pads directly over the bar... looked around out of curiosity and couldn't find anything that looked like what he was running with the pads directly over the aero bars

Edited by Clempson 2013-08-18 8:22 PM

2013-08-19 7:13 AM

User image

Veteran
New Hampshire
Did an awesome trainer ride last night. Awesome in terms of sweat at least. 1:30, or two episodes of The Walking Dead, and I was drenched. Felt very accomplished. I need to bring it every trainer ride like that this winter. It was kind of a nice change to be inside on the bike instead of dealing with traffic and pot holes.
2013-08-19 7:43 AM

User image

Champion
Knoxville area
Originally posted by jonD81

Did an awesome trainer ride last night. Awesome in terms of sweat at least. 1:30, or two episodes of The Walking Dead, and I was drenched. Felt very accomplished. I need to bring it every trainer ride like that this winter. It was kind of a nice change to be inside on the bike instead of dealing with traffic and pot holes.

I have always felt I get way more work done inside than I do outside. I worry about digging deep on open roads... I know it throws my concentration off.
2013-08-19 7:50 AM

User image

Champion
Knoxville area
Raced the Knoxville part of the SRS series Sat&Sun. Went for the Prime on the Crit and burned myself out, finishing just off the main group by the end... really hurt myself on that one. (and my teammate came around me on the last corner and outsprinted me for the Prime...sigh)

Yesterdays road race (40mi) was pretty crazy. It was raining and extremely slick (lots of leaves/grass in the road) so bad that the pro women cut it to two laps and came in. Pro men had a 20+ person crash in one corner! We lowly CAT5's had a bit of a gentleman's agreement for the first lap and took it neutral, then raced the next 3. My goal (still feeling bad from Sat) was just to finish in the peloton. Was pretty uneventful the rest of the day (other than the rain) with the exception of a winning break by one rider at the end of lap 3. At 500m to go the attacks started and I felt good enough to respond. Got beat on the line (had to look at a photo) and ended up 4th :/ Just off the podium.

Oh well, not bad for the day.
2013-08-19 8:11 AM

User image

Champion
Knoxville area
Originally posted by Clempson

ha i don't know about that... big difference between 295 and 307.... but it is a goal for next season to be there before the season starts up.

picked up a new garmin TT mount too. this was prompted by a former pro racer who came up and asked about my results after my TT and wanted to talk to be about my position on the bike... he said everything looked great, except my position on the cockpit, mainly the width of the bars. he showed me what setup he was running and suggested i try to get more compact, and right now its my garmin barfly mount which is keeping me from doing that... so out with it. he even suggested going as far as getting a new cockpit if i wanted which had the pads directly over the bar... looked around out of curiosity and couldn't find anything that looked like what he was running with the pads directly over the aero bars

what bars do you have right now? Got a picture of the cockpit?
2013-08-19 3:09 PM

User image

Expert
Greenville, SC
im running the Profile Design T2 Plus right now

2013-08-20 6:58 AM

User image

Veteran
New Hampshire
I was thinking of getting a set of bars. I'm by no means thinking that equipment is going to make me some kind of athlete, but sometimes I just feel way too exposed on the bike with my sail of a physique. I'm going to swing by my buddy's shop tomorrow and see what my options are. I have a 3 year plan in terms of where I want to be in my training before I think of getting a tri specific bike, unless of course I pass my PE exam next October, then in that case I get to be rewarded right away
2013-08-20 8:07 AM

User image

Champion
Knoxville area
you should be able to get pretty narrow on t2+ bars. I could almost get my pads touching on them if I remember correctly. There's a lot of room to adjust the PD's.
2013-08-21 8:49 PM

User image

Expert
Greenville, SC
yeah i'll have to play around with them.

19x100 for my main set at masters swim tonight. i though the coach was kidding at first, then we started swimming. i'll be feeling that tomorrow for sure.
2013-08-24 3:37 PM

User image

Champion
Knoxville area
Had an Olympic race today. Got ran down the last mile and ended up 2nd in my AG and 6th Overall.

2nd fastest bike split WITH a dropped chain. Just shy of an hour 40k

And most excitingly for me, 12th out of the water! That would have been unheard of for me just a few short months ago.
New Thread
BT Development Mentor Program Archives » Leegoocrap & Newbz rowdy Mentor Group - Closed Rss Feed  

of 39