BT Development Mentor Program Archives » Leegoocrap & Newbz rowdy Mentor Group - Closed Rss Feed  
Moderators: alicefoeller Reply

of 39

2013-08-25 6:26 PM
in reply to: Leegoocrap

User image

Expert
Greenville, SC
Subject: RE: Leegoocrap & Newbz rowdy Mentor Group - Closed
awesome! dropped chains are terrible, had that happen a few times last year. then i bought the k-tech chain guards for all my bikes.

great job on the swim; 2nd on the bike and 12th on the swim will set you up nicely for a good finish

2013-08-26 8:16 AM

User image

Veteran
New Hampshire
Wow Chris. Awesome race. You must have been flying on the bike.

What do you attribute your swim improvement to? Just swimming more often and being more structured?
2013-08-27 8:30 AM
in reply to: jonD81

User image

Champion
Knoxville area
Originally posted by jonD81

Wow Chris. Awesome race. You must have been flying on the bike.

What do you attribute your swim improvement to? Just swimming more often and being more structured?

Been working on some of my form issues (not extending far enough and not finishing the pull adequately) the last month or two. Seems to be helping

My actual swim volume has been way down this year (mainly because I've been healthy enough to bike focus through the spring/summer) but I'm still trying to get 6-9k a week, most of the time closer to 6.
2013-08-28 8:27 AM

User image

Cleveland OH
Alright so it has been like 1 1/2 months since I have posted. Sorry for Ignoring you guys,
In that time I had my last tri of the year which turned into a Duathlon because of waves, I got 7th overall in the International distance (Oly) out of 120 ish
I also ran a 5 miler to gear up for my Half Mary and got 3rd overall with a time of 34:00 out of 180 ish people

But probably the most important thing is that for the past 12 years I have Dipped, IE. Chewed Tobacco. I have since quit this habit, So I am calling myself an addict and have come to terms that I will always be addicted. I am quitting one day at a time for the rest of my life. I have been quit now for 35 days and love not being controlled by the anger, craves, or feelings I use to get when I did not have Nicotine in my veins. I have been wanting to type this out for a few weeks now, just everytime I went to do it my wife would ask me to do something and I wouldnt end up coming back to it.

Anyways I have been running a lot, I was so impressed with my Duathlon skills that I am really considering doing more Duathlons next year. I am also going to contact a Bike racing team up here and talk to them about joining and racing some Crits or something like that next year.

2013-08-28 12:14 PM
in reply to: smithat05

User image

Veteran
New Hampshire
Awesome man. Sounds like you've been busy. Did you run growing up in high school or anything like that? Seems like you have a really good grip on your running times and getting faster. That's great. And good luck on quitting the dip. Stuff doesn't do anything for you that's positive, just keep at it.

Other night I was over my inlaws and my FIL was talking about going to a chiropractor. He's NOT the type of guy to try a chiro, but his back was really hurting and I knew a great guy. Next night after he went I'm talking to my wife in bed about how I'm so surprised he went and how since I started going to him I haven't been in pain at all. After living in Colo for a year and boarding like crazy I totally messed up my back, couple discs out of whack and my sciatica was all funky. I'd pretty much get shooting pains in my legs that I'd fall to the ground. Went to the chiro for a few months and hadn't felt pain since. This was probably 4-5 years ago. So back to the other night I say how great it is to not be in pain and for some frigging reason (Irony possibly?) the next morning I'm in agony. Out of nowhere. No fall, no over work, nothing. Few days and lots of planks and stretching and core work later and today I'm feeling pretty good. Funny thing is, it doesn't hurt when I'm in motion, it hurts when I'm static for too long, so I feel awesome during a workout, then after stretching and cooling down it hurts. I need to make a better attempt to incorporate core work into my weekly schedule. I do a terrible job at it, mainly because I'm always concentrating on trying to get enough SBR in that I don't have time for the core, but I need to change that.
2013-08-29 8:53 PM
in reply to: Clempson

User image

Expert
Greenville, SC
ugh.. getting burned out. i really haven't been feeling it this week at all. i struggled mentally through my run this morning because i just didn't want to do it. skipped my bike workout tonight. going to do a swim tomorrow and then an easy bike after that... i never do an easy bike.... after this weekend i have races every weekend for three weeks straight... and maybe 2 the weekend of the 14th...

wake me up when September ends...

the only motivation i have going is that if i do good at one of my last tri's i will win the south carolina tri series for my age group, but i still feel lethargic.

2013-09-02 3:36 PM

User image

Cleveland OH
Jon, I wasnt a Athlete in High School and didnt do the college thing.

I started getting into running like 2 years ago.

I had a 5k this morning with a friend, I finally got my Sub 20 min.
Results are not in yet but I came across the line around 19:37.

Day 40
Todd
2013-09-04 8:26 AM

User image

Champion
Knoxville area
Todd, Congrats on the sub 20! I felt like it was a huge weight off my shoulders when I finally hit that goal... although sub 19 still eludes me

Kyle,

August was that way for me... I raced 7 times last month (and didn't race two weekends) and it beat me up pretty good both physically and mentally. Be sure you're getting enough (and probably more) sleep and eating enough. Make sure you're also monitoring your "burnout" level. It's better to take a day or two off if you need to than force yourself though a "so so" workout that hampers recovering.

And of course, plan a couple of days to recharge when it's all over. Burnout is tough to combat without those days.

Myself... I went to Dragoncon last weekend and just nerded out for 2 days... didn't even think about anything active other than walking. Got back and was excited to get training again.
2013-09-04 10:07 PM

User image

Expert
Greenville, SC

Originally posted by Leegoocrap Kyle, August was that way for me... I raced 7 times last month (and didn't race two weekends) and it beat me up pretty good both physically and mentally. Be sure you're getting enough (and probably more) sleep and eating enough. Make sure you're also monitoring your "burnout" level. It's better to take a day or two off if you need to than force yourself though a "so so" workout that hampers recovering. And of course, plan a couple of days to recharge when it's all over. Burnout is tough to combat without those days. Myself... I went to Dragoncon last weekend and just nerded out for 2 days... didn't even think about anything active other than walking. Got back and was excited to get training again.

thanks for the advice chris. my day off last saturday for the clemson/UGA game really helped a lot.  i've cut down on my workouts and focused on getting good calories in to help me rest up.  i think it was the sudden ramp in run volume that did me in.  i hadn't really realized that it has been weeks since i've had a "rest day", if you count walking around in 95 degree heat and drinking beer all day resting.

this weekend is me and my GF's 4 year anniversary and i've got us a room at a resort on the beach... where i have a race at 7am saturday morning, i plan on having a good weekend regardless of the race results.  

i have a lot of friends that went to dragoncon... im looking for you in the photos ha

2013-09-06 12:26 PM

User image

Veteran
New Hampshire
Man, it used to just be comic/sci-fi conventions around here, but I've never been to a HUGE one like that. It's gotta be fun just to walk around and take it all in. Any time there's something that you enjoy that much and are around a couple thousand other people like it too, it's just an awesome vibe. Tattoo conventions used to be like that too. Fun stuf.

Signed up at the Y down the street from my work to get my swimming in order. Took me 1 hr 10m door to door and I got a 40 minute swim in. Once I get the check in method and quick change down a bit better I should be golden.
2013-09-07 9:49 AM

User image

Expert
Greenville, SC
Great race this morning. 3rd overall, 1st age grouper, 5 jellyfish attacks. Not sure what splits were yet.

2013-09-07 6:15 PM

User image

Cleveland OH
Wow great race bud, 3rd overall was it a Sprint or Oly?

careful of those Jellyfish, they sting
2013-09-07 9:55 PM
in reply to: smithat05

User image

Expert
Greenville, SC
Sprint race. They lumped T1 and T2 in with the swim/bike splits, which sucks because my HRM strap came undone on the swim andi wasted a ton of time in T1 trying to fix it before throwing it on the ground. The swim wad the one split I wanted to know since I have been working hard in Masters swim classes fora month now. Run was 19:03. Second fastest bike and run split. 4 races I have been second on the bike and Setup gives $500 towards a carbon wheelset each race for the fastest... ughhh
2013-09-09 2:31 PM

User image

Champion
Knoxville area
Originally posted by Clempson

Sprint race. They lumped T1 and T2 in with the swim/bike splits, which sucks because my HRM strap came undone on the swim andi wasted a ton of time in T1 trying to fix it before throwing it on the ground. The swim wad the one split I wanted to know since I have been working hard in Masters swim classes fora month now. Run was 19:03. Second fastest bike and run split. 4 races I have been second on the bike and Setup gives $500 towards a carbon wheelset each race for the fastest... ughhh

Excellent.

Next time just give up your (good!) run and just TT the bike
2013-09-12 9:06 AM

User image

Veteran
New Hampshire
Man, I should have joined the YMCA near my work sooner. It's a 2 minute drive, nice 6 lane pool with all 6 lanes open for lap swim from 11:30 to 1 every weekday. So far I've been able to get there, get in a 40 minute swim, shower and get back to work in about an hour total. With the kid and wife, getting in workouts is all about not losing time with them, and after work I only get about 2 hours before we put him to bed, so now I just work a little more efficiently during the day and still get home around the same time.
2013-09-14 7:22 PM

User image

Expert
Greenville, SC

awesome! thats exactly what i thought after joining my local Y. its 2 miles from where i live and adjacent to the very popular MUP that runs through town.  makes getting in workouts so much easier.

makes time management much easier, especially in your case

2013-09-14 7:25 PM
in reply to: 0

User image

Expert
Greenville, SC

1st overall at my sprint triathlon this morning! race report below.  Now i'm getting everything together for my road race tomorrow, should be fun, looks like its going to be a full field. one of the guys i ride with a lot who is pretty strong, waaay stronger than me for sprints/bursts, signed up at the last minute so i might not be entirely alone.

http://www.beginnertriathlete.com/discussion/forums/thread-view.asp?tid=500863&posts=1&page=1

Edited by Clempson 2013-09-14 7:36 PM
2013-09-15 3:15 PM

User image

Expert
Greenville, SC

First place CAT5 at the road race today, also won the series KOM for CAT5.  Got a nice duffle bag filled with body/bike/chain wipes from Global Bike and a cool polka dot Hincapie jersey for the KOM.  

Road off the front of the pack after the first KOM checkpoint with 30 miles to go, kind of coasted downhill to let the pack suck me back in but they never did, so i just set into TT mode.  Ended up adding 30 seconds of day light between me and them each time we went around the 8 mile loop the course was on. Was a hard ride, i was very worried after the first 25 miles that they would catch me and i would be cooked

2013-09-15 6:56 PM

User image

Veteran
New Hampshire
Wow dude, that's a clean sweep of a weekend. Way to kick some serious a$$. Looks like you've really got your racing together right now. Congrats, those are some stellar times you threw down.
2013-09-15 7:04 PM

User image

Veteran
New Hampshire
Went out this afternoon with a buddy and swam the course I'll be swimming on Sunday, then rode the bike as well. This race coming up is the first tri I did last year, which will only be my 5th total, but I think I've definitely started to figure some stuff out. The swim is actually in the ocean, so it can get a little nasty, and it's cold, but I had my wetsuit on and I'm kicking myself for not wearing it to more (any) races this year. I've been in lakes/ponds that were warm, so I just figured I'd save the time at T1 and not wear a suit. Such a big mistake. I forgot how well you move in the thing and how much you float. So stupid of me. We did the swim route 3 times and it just felt easy. Then we did the bike route. Last year since it was my first tri I actually did it on a mountain bike as my old road bike broke down right before the race. The bike course is so flat, I think I can put down a really good time. I'm definitely looking forward to it. One more run and bike this week, couple swims, should be good to go.
2013-09-17 1:50 PM

User image

Champion
Knoxville area

First place CAT5 at the road race today, also won the series KOM for CAT5.  Got a nice duffle bag filled with body/bike/chain wipes from Global Bike and a cool polka dot Hincapie jersey for the KOM.  

Road off the front of the pack after the first KOM checkpoint with 30 miles to go, kind of coasted downhill to let the pack suck me back in but they never did, so i just set into TT mode.  Ended up adding 30 seconds of day light between me and them each time we went around the 8 mile loop the course was on. Was a hard ride, i was very worried after the first 25 miles that they would catch me and i would be cooked

woah, that's awesome! Grats

2013-09-17 10:25 PM

User image

Expert
Greenville, SC
Originally posted by Leegoocrap

i feel like the group gave it to me, my friend who was in the pack said no one was interested in catching me at all and just accepted i was off the front.  oh well. i also read afterwards that in a lot of cases they won't consider a race where you won by riding off the front to count towards your 10 races to cat up to cat4 since you didn't ride in a pack and that's the whole point of cat5 racing. 

2013-09-22 1:55 PM

User image

Veteran
New Hampshire
Got my first podium spot, although it was a weird one. It was pouring all night and all morning here so they changed the swim to a 1.5 mile run. Run/Bike/Run, never done that before, so I had no clue what to expect. I was registered as a clyde because, well because when they have the div I go for it. Went out really slow on the first run because I didn't want to bake my legs for the bike. Roads were slippery on the bike and it was my first ride in legit rain, so I took it kind of easy. Last run I felt good so I just went with hit. Ended up with 3rd place in the Clydesdale division at 1:21:43. First place in my div was 1:14 or something, 2nd was only a minute ahead of me, wish I did that first run a little quicker. Took over 11 minutes off my time from last year and that was with slick roads and now swim.
2013-09-23 8:20 AM

User image

Champion
Knoxville area

Originally posted by Leegoocrap

i feel like the group gave it to me, my friend who was in the pack said no one was interested in catching me at all and just accepted i was off the front.  oh well. i also read afterwards that in a lot of cases they won't consider a race where you won by riding off the front to count towards your 10 races to cat up to cat4 since you didn't ride in a pack and that's the whole point of cat5 racing. 

that's the best way to look at it imo. I was told I could cat up after the SRS race, but I stayed down in 5 because I think I still need the practice. On the other hand, most races that are small group 4's and 5's together, so not a whole lot different.
2013-09-23 8:23 AM

User image

Champion
Knoxville area
Originally posted by jonD81

Got my first podium spot, although it was a weird one. It was pouring all night and all morning here so they changed the swim to a 1.5 mile run. Run/Bike/Run, never done that before, so I had no clue what to expect. I was registered as a clyde because, well because when they have the div I go for it. Went out really slow on the first run because I didn't want to bake my legs for the bike. Roads were slippery on the bike and it was my first ride in legit rain, so I took it kind of easy. Last run I felt good so I just went with hit. Ended up with 3rd place in the Clydesdale division at 1:21:43. First place in my div was 1:14 or something, 2nd was only a minute ahead of me, wish I did that first run a little quicker. Took over 11 minutes off my time from last year and that was with slick roads and now swim.

Congrats dude, that's great!

It's easy to drive yourself crazy thinking "if I'd only done this faster" in a race, but you just have to accept you did it as fast as you could on the day.

Any time they get changed to duathlons it always hurts me (I'm a better swimmer than the locals in my AG)
New Thread
BT Development Mentor Program Archives » Leegoocrap & Newbz rowdy Mentor Group - Closed Rss Feed  

of 39