BT Development Mentor Program Archives » Leegoocrap & Newbz rowdy Mentor Group - Closed Rss Feed  
Moderators: alicefoeller Reply

of 39

2012-12-27 6:48 AM

User image

Champion
Knoxville area
Subject: Leegoocrap & Newbz rowdy Mentor Group - Closed

WHEN CAN YOU START MENTORING CONSISTENTLY: Now

GROUP FOCUS: consistency and overall improvement 

NAME: Chris (Leegoocrap)

STORY: I've been training for tri's for 5 years now, and have been a pretty serious triathlete for the past three. Last season was full of up and down moments and lots of stress, so for 2013 I've decided to re-focus myself on my weak spots (that is, running) while at the same time re-learning to enjoy the races without the expectations I put on myself. I plan to make my return to full IM racing in 2014, so that's something that is in the back of my mind as well.  Outside the tri life I'm a big dork (or so I'm told) who loves reading, anime, long walks on the beach and the occasional bar crawl.

FAMILY STATUS: Single.  Sometimes I think I'm Good Luck Chuck.  

CURRENT TRAINING: The key to my training is consistency. Over the past couple of years I don't think I've missed more than 4 or 5 planned training sessions. My training is always evolving, currently I'm looking to take my run to a new level.

THIS YEAR'S RACES: My A race of 2012 was my second trip to Augusta, with a couple of sprints mixed in as "warmups."   

2013 RACES:  After 3 years of having one "A" race at the end of the year, I've decided that 2013 is going to be a year where I don't stress myself with an A race, and just race for fun. I'm excited since I'll be able to do a few races I had skipped the last few years (as they were either too long or too close to my big race)

WEIGHTLOSS: I'm never too far over 150lbs, usually around race day I'm closer to 140. I'd like to try getting into the 130's and see how I felt, but I wouldn't starve myself to do it  

WHAT WILL MAKE ME A GOOD MENTOR: This will be my 3rd go at being a mentor. I think the past groups have had some success overall, and this time I'll be sharing responsibility with David, who is a great source of knowledge.

Some Ground Rules: I'm not a big stickler for rules (some were meant to be bent... some were meant to be broken) but I do have some things I'd like anyone joining to keep in mind.

- This is a group focused on improvements in Triathlon. That's a broad spectrum of course, but if you think it would be a fine topic in Cup of Joe, then leave it out here.

- I expect everyone who is interested in joining to be active in the group discussions. Lurking is a fine way to learn, but in these groups I would prefer to have your input. If you aren't sure, ask. If you are sure, let it be known

- PLAY NICE. Disagreeing it perfectly fine, but keep it civilized.

That said, welcome to the show.

Edited by Leegoocrap 2013-01-06 6:40 PM

2012-12-30 8:45 PM
in reply to: #4549367

User image

Cleveland OH
Subject: RE: Leegoocrap & Newbz rowdy Mentor Group

I would like to apply for your group,

Name= smithat05  Todd

31 yrs old  5'11"  185lbs

married 3+yrs with a 4 month old son

I recently PR'ed my 5k at a Turkey Trot,  time 21:05 and it is a hilly 5k not flat at all.

I raced my first tri last summer, I chose the Oly distance as I wanted more of a challenge,  I know now that a lot of Triathletes do sprints and Oly's to get ready for a bigger race later in the year.  Swimming is my crutch, my times for the oly were 41min swim, 110 bike, 52 run.

my wife and I are also signed up for our first Half Marathon this year.  I would like to do 2-3 Tri's this year.   I might also do a ride I did last year where you ride 105 miles sat then 105 sunday.  I would really like to do the same OLy I did last year to see how much I can improve on my time. 

I know I need to lose some weight it will only make me faster and stronger.  I was down to 179 this summer and that is the lowest I have weighed since I hiked the Appalachian Trail in 2005. 

I ride a 1989 Cannondale Critirium, its a pretty solid bike, I put a set of Jammers on it last year.  I have over 3k miles on it.  I don't really know yet or not if I will be purchasing a new bike this year or next.  I have a really nice LBS not too far away and I go in and drool over the TT bikes a lot.   

I dont remember what else I was suppose to tell you. 

Thanks for volunteering to become a mentor for people like me.  

Todd

Edited by smithat05 2012-12-30 8:46 PM
2012-12-30 9:09 PM

Napa
I'm a newbie who has been looking for a challenge. I recently have committed myself to a ironman in Sonoma ca. I need a group I can follow and learn from to train for this triathlon. I live in napa ca and have weigh 205 6,2 ht. my goal is to drop 15-20 lbs within 6 months and perfect my swimming g technique. How can I join your group
2012-12-30 9:21 PM

User image

Bronze member

Awe, look who's back. I thought you retired from mentoring after dealing with me for a season .

In all seriousness - if your lurking - time to jump on board! You'll have some great mentors here!

2012-12-31 7:36 AM

User image

Champion
Knoxville area
Firstly, Newbz (David) is traveling from Vacation so he may be MIA for a day or two. Figured it was worth mentioning.
2012-12-31 7:36 AM
in reply to: #4554453

User image

Champion
Knoxville area
trigal38 - 2012-12-30 10:21 PM

Awe, look who's back. I thought you retired from mentoring after dealing with me for a season .

In all seriousness - if your lurking - time to jump on board! You'll have some great mentors here!

Well you know, the metal is tempered by fire

2012-12-31 7:40 AM
in reply to: #4554413

User image

Champion
Knoxville area

Todd welcome aboard!

I've got a friend who's getting ready to give the Appalachian a go this year. It sounds brutal!

That's a pretty solid 5k time, with some more base miles (and just having done one before to know how it feels) I think your 10k at the end of the Oly could be quite a bit lower this year.

2012-12-31 7:44 AM
in reply to: #4554438

User image

Champion
Knoxville area

Gilbert716 - 2012-12-30 10:09 PM I'm a newbie who has been looking for a challenge. I recently have committed myself to a ironman in Sonoma ca. I need a group I can follow and learn from to train for this triathlon. I live in napa ca and have weigh 205 6,2 ht. my goal is to drop 15-20 lbs within 6 months and perfect my swimming g technique. How can I join your group

Hey Gil, just give us a little summary/introduce yourself. If you want to template it :P

NAME: 

STORY:

FAMILY STATUS:

CURRENT TRAINING:

2012 RACES:

2013 RACES:

WEIGHT LOSS GOALS:

GOALS: 

besides that, welcome aboard!

2012-12-31 2:50 PM

User image

Regular
Subject: RE: Leegoocrap & Newbz rowdy Mentor Group - OPEN!
Count me in please.

NAME: Martin

STORY: January 1 2006 stepped on the scale and weighed 263. Started running and got down to about 190. Slowed my training down and went back up to 210. Decided I wanted to tri in 2010, had a great season and got down to 175 finished 2010 with the Rev 3 Half at Cedar Point. Have halfheartedly trained since and am ready to get back into the best shape of my life and stay there for ever.

FAMILY STATUS: Basically married, should be official by the summer. No kids

CURRENT TRAINING: Running a few times a week, no swim or bike right now. All of that is set to change today though.

2012 RACES: Couple of half marathons and some smaller distances no tris.

2013 RACES: Big Ones are Rev 3 Half Cedar Point, Akron Full Marathon and I am contemplating the HFP Wheelie Fun Series in the Olympic category. Also plan to do at least one event a month, but Rev 3 and Akron are my top priority for 2013. ETA: I plan to volunteer at IM Lake Placid to get a feel for the Iron distance and start the motivation for that distance in 2014.

WEIGHT LOSS GOALS: Between 30 and 40 lbs. I think I can and should really carry 175. I will be happy with a normal range of weight between 170 and 180.

GOALS: I just haven't been too motivated in the past couple of years to train. I enjoy running and swimming, but not the bike. I have high hopes for myself and when I get motivated to accomplish things I get them done. I would like to knock about 20 minutes off my Half Distance time to get me below 5:15 and I would like to run a 3:30 Marathon. Both of those numbers are very realistic if I set my mind to it. I think I could BQ if I really got after it. The other thing I want to figure out is how not to get burned out in my training. When I get burned out and I sort of just stop and then find it hard to get back going.

I think a group outside of my family will help me stay motivated and get me back on the right track to maintain a healthy balance in my training.

Thanks to both you Chris and David.

Edited by Its Only Money 2012-12-31 3:28 PM
2012-12-31 3:23 PM
in reply to: #4555470

User image

Champion
Knoxville area

Welcome Martin

2010 at Rev3 has a special place for me. I remember freaking out about the waves we had the two practice swims... then clear and smooth as glass on race day!

Motivation is such a personal thing, but having Rev3 on the horizon should definitely go a long way in keeping it in check

2013-01-01 5:07 AM

User image

Champion
Knoxville area

While we're still picking up members we might has well kick it off. Being the New Year, what was everyone's resolution?

Personally, mine is to learn how to dance. (The classics at least) I've always wanted to learn, but just never seemed to take the time. In the "tri" world, I suppose my resolution is to move from CAT 5 to at least CAT 4 in cycling by the end of the year.

2013-01-01 7:46 AM
in reply to: #4556025

User image

Cleveland OH

my resolution,  I want to work less hours so i can help my wonderful wife out with our son more.  I also am hoping to read more books,  stop watching TV so much,  and using that time to train more.

I am sitting by the fireplace right now with him in my arms, so precious at this age.

2013-01-01 10:06 AM

User image

Cleveland OH

Felt like starting the new year out right, so went for a 3 mile run with my one dog.  15 inches of snow on ground so ran on road, 21:19  felt great to get out. 

2013-01-01 11:34 AM

User image

Champion
Hey Chris/David: if there is still room I would like to join in too! Both of you have always given solid advice and promoted interesting discussions on BT. I'm not new to tri but figure I could learn some more things by diversifying the kids I play with (so to speak!) let me know!
2013-01-01 5:06 PM
in reply to: #4556344

User image

Champion
Knoxville area

mndymond - 2013-01-01 12:34 PM Hey Chris/David: if there is still room I would like to join in too! Both of you have always given solid advice and promoted interesting discussions on BT. I'm not new to tri but figure I could learn some more things by diversifying the kids I play with (so to speak!) let me know!

Welcome aboard Melissa!  Hopefully our advice stays on the good side

2013-01-01 9:23 PM

Hi there-

I am super super super new to tri-but not new to running.  If you don't mind a complete newbie joining you, I'll come along for the ride.

NAME:  Sarah

STORY:  I was not exactly athletic in my youth-in fact the exact opposite, but when I turned 28 I decided to quit smoking and take up running.  Fast forward a whole bunch of years, I completed my first marathon and now I'm looking for a new challenge.  I have riden my bike on group rides, but have never been in a race and swimming-I can do it, but it may not be pretty

FAMILY STATUS:  Married for almost 5yrs.  We have 2 kids a son 3.5 and a daughter 2.5

CURRENT TRAINING:  I have been in PT for a back issue for about a month and a half, but I am back to easy running.  I have a goal of 1000 running miles this year, so I should be picking up sooner than later.

2012 RACES:  A handfull of 5k's, a 1/2 and a full in April 

2013 RACES:  So far I am registered for a Jan. 5k, Feb 10k, and a March 15k. I am going to add an April 1/2 and I'm hoping to do at least 1 sprint tri this year, but I am open to more races.

WEIGHT LOSS GOALS:  I sadly still have about 10lbs of squish left over from having babies 12mo apart.  I'm hoping to drop that over the year and I'm also hoping it helps me get faster!!

GOALS: Finish a sprint tri, 1000 running miles, focus on more strength, and last but not least 13 races in 2013.  I turn 40 in April-so I thought I should have a big year!!

2013-01-02 7:10 AM

User image

Regular
2013 Resolutions: Volunteer more, I am going to look into the Conservancy for Cuyahoga Valley National Park and see what I can do for them this year. There is also a volunteer bike repair/upkeep group in downtown Akron that I want to get involved with. It is a group specifically formed to help the 3rd graders who receive bikes from LeBron James's charity keep their bikes in good condition and help give them the skills to do simple maintenance.

As for fitness/race resolutions: Do a race a month, they can be anything S,B,R or any combination of that or anything else. Drop the final 30 pounds and keep my weight right around 175.

Happy New Year to all.
2013-01-02 8:24 AM
in reply to: #4557091

User image

Champion
Knoxville area
Welcome Sarah! Sounds like you've already got a good handle on the year! We'll have you totally bit by the tri bug before you know it :P
2013-01-02 8:25 AM

User image

Champion
Knoxville area
Happy New Year everyone! I ran my first 5k of the year yesterday Not a PR, but a 19:21 was a solid result for me on a rainy cold day!
2013-01-02 8:50 AM
in reply to: #4557489

Nice 5k run -- too cold for races up here.

Got room for another?  Bio below --

NAME:  David

STORY:  I'm originally from the Knoxville area -- grew up in Farragut.  I'm up in the cold Northeast at the moment.  Got into the sport about 2 years ago and completed my first full distance last year.  Targeting some smaller races this year to avoid the wife rage with the thought of a full next year.  Just your typical MOP AG (40-44).

FAMILY STATUS:  Married; 3 kids

CURRENT TRAINING:  Focusing primarily on bike improvement and run maintenance over the winter.

2012 RACES:  Rev3 Half Quassy and IM Lake Placid were the two main ones.  A smattering of runs and sprints mixed in.

2013 RACES:  Rev3 Olympic Quassy for early season with Savageman as my A race in September.  Would really like to get a brick on the Westport wall.

WEIGHT LOSS GOALS:  Shed my holiday weight which should come in time.

GOALS:  Rev3 will be my first Olympic distance race.  I'd like to actually make it through a race without blowing myself up on the bike and disintegrating on the run.  That's been my hardest discipline to achieve.

2013-01-02 9:19 AM
in reply to: #4557549

User image

Champion
Knoxville area

Welcome in David! Good to have somebody else from the area!

You should be good for a brick by September :P If worse comes to worst, there's always SRAM Apex! Although I think with some good bike work you'll be fine (so long as you dodge the big cracks in the road!) You know you get bonus points if you climb it in the big ring haha.

2013-01-02 9:44 AM

User image

Extreme Veteran

I would like to join.

NAME: Hunting Triathlete (Todd

STORY: I smoked a pack a day for just over 16 years and decided enough was enough and decided to use S / B / R to help me stop.  Well I am proud to announce that tomorrow will make Three Years Totally Smoke FreeLaughing.  I completed several sprints, 50 mile bike ride, 2 half marathons, and 1 marathon since starting this.    

FAMILY STATUS:  Married twelve years w/ one beautiful daughter, three dogs, and one obese cat (31 pounds)Surprised

CURRENT TRAINING: Here and There, which will change this year and why I feel this group would be a great fit for me.

2012 RACES:  Sprint, Half Marathon, 5K (did not do much in the form of races, which added to inconsistance.)

2013 RACES: I will do a Half Ironman this year, but at this time I don't know which one.   Galveston, Kansas (prefered for travel / vacation + hilly bike course) Lubbock, or Austin.  The decision will be based off training / fitness level, money, work, and family life.  I will also participate in other events throughout the year, but have not decided on those yet.  I should add that I was scheduled to run the Houston Marathon again this year but decided to defer my entry.  As evident by my log I have not prepared and feel it was be a detriment to the start of my year.  I did it two years ago on little to no training and paid for it. 

WEIGHT LOSS GOALS:  Just reduce body fat, but I know that will come with regular training.  I put on twenty pounds when I quit smoking, which I likely needed as most felt I was too skinny / unhealthy, but I need to turn more of that into lean mass / muscle. 

GOALS: Consistently Train / Half Ironman  - I want to make exercise a routine, not just something I do here and there or before a race I signed up for. 

2013-01-02 9:45 AM

User image

Champion
Hey guys, very sorry for the late start, out of town this week and trying todo this on a phone is rough.I'll be posting a full bio as soon as I can get computer access ( today or tomorrow ) but ware to extend anther welcome and say I'm looking forward to this group a lot!
2013-01-02 10:53 AM
in reply to: #4557666

User image

Champion
Knoxville area

Hey Welcome in Todd! Congrats on being smoke-free! That's a huge one a lot of my buddies haven't been able to beat for 3 days!

That's a huge Cat!! I've got a 25#er and I have people tell me all the time he's the biggest cat they've ever seen.

Hopefully we'll have you on the right track for the Half in no time!

2013-01-02 1:42 PM

User image

Veteran
Boston, MA

Hi, I'd like to join if there's still room!

NAME: Sarah

STORY: I'm not new to triathlon, and even mentored last year, but I'm shifting my goals for this year so I decided I'd like to join a group so I could discuss goals with like minded people. In short, after running marathons for a few years, I decided to mix it up in 2011 and start doing triathlons instead. I started with sprints, and have now done four HIMs and one IM, the latter of which was last September. While I'm glad I did the IM, I got quite burnt out after it, so I'm shifting my focus this year to only sprints, and hopefully adding the Harpoon B2B ride and a fall marathon (maybe try for a BQ?) in order to keep some level of endurance. I'd like to be competitive in the sprints, which will be a challenge this year, especially with the shift to the F35-39 AG since my birthday is coming up in February.

FAMILY STATUS: Not married and no kids, but have been with my boyfriend for about a year

CURRENT TRAINING: Not great. I've slacked off a lot since the IM, and am hoping to get back on track for 2013. I'll probably start with some consistent trainer rides, ease back into running (I was starting to develop an ankle injury so I've taken a bit of time off of it) and will likely start swimming again in February.

2012 RACES: I did a few sprints, one really terrible Oly, two HIMs (Patriot and Timberman) and an IM (Cedar Point)

2013 RACES: I'd like to do several sprints within New England. The first will be the NE Season Opener in mid May. My A race will probably be the Title 9 sprint in early September. I placed 3rd in my AG in 2011, but wasn't able to do it last year since it was the same day as Cedar Point.

WEIGHT LOSS GOALS: This is where things get really rough. Not only did I not lose any significant weight last season due to my boyfriend's awesome cooking, but I put on a few pounds after the IM. I weighed in this morning at 133.5 after holding steady around 128 for most of the year. My lowest was in 2011 when I got to 118. While I don't think I care enough to get that low again, I'd definitely like to be in the 120s again, and ideally in the 120-125 range.

GOALS: Lose weight, improve swimming technique (I'm currently a solid BOP swimmer even when I'm in shape) and regain bike and run fitness.

New Thread
BT Development Mentor Program Archives » Leegoocrap & Newbz rowdy Mentor Group - Closed Rss Feed  

of 39