General Discussion Triathlon Talk » DOWN for 2013 - New Year New You! Rss Feed  
Moderators: k9car363, alicefoeller Reply

of 33

2013-04-08 9:20 AM
in reply to: #4555262

User image

Champion
New York, NY
Subject: RE: DOWN for 2013 - New Year New You!
weight up a little to 138.8 (and even higher this morning) but eating well I think muscle as I have added strength training back. feeling good so hoping the scale trends down again soon

2013-04-10 8:47 AM

User image

Extreme Veteran
, Connecticut
Thanks everyone for the support. Really happy to have officially started the training plan, well usually unless I'm dreading a swim workout.

I'm used to weight training so with increased cardio body shed 2 lbs the last two days. Who knows where this will go, it will depend on whether I can keep my eating healthy.

I'm not low carb, but I'm high protein. Now it is just how I eat - about 50% carbs, 30 prot, 20 fat. If I'm hungry at supermarket usually get a few slices of meat at deli, all my bars and shakes are high protein. Guess I have to stop seeing carbs as bad. I do the half cup brown rice, ww pasta, bran cereal route, but it seems that I should be eating more of them. Doesn't feel good. Doubling up on the grapefruits and apples. Salads don't add up to anything. Probably should add in sweet potatos. And of course I can't just add in carbs, I've got to decrease my protein intake.

Maybe my sweat will stop smelling of nitrogen (from using protein as a fuel). It is kinda gross. I'm moving into TMI so signing off.
Hope everyone has a great workout today!

Mitzi

2013-04-11 7:38 AM

User image

Expert

well after some amazing progress last week I'm afraid I'm on the backslide.  Got very sick Saturday evening and missed my training on Sunday, and wasn't feeling up to snuff until Tuesday.  Was also off the diet eating anything that wouldn't upset my stomach too much.  Then I was traveling Tuesday and Wednesday a lot and was so wiped out I missed those workouts too.

So I think my weigh in tomorrow will be a step or two backwards.  But I'm back home now, feeling better, back on the clean eating kick, and ready to get in a workout today. 

Calm seas don't make good sailors

2013-04-11 11:44 AM
in reply to: #4694473

User image

Veteran
Vicksburg

MuscleMomma - 2013-04-10 8:47 AM

I'm not low carb, but I'm high protein. Now it is just how I eat - about 50% carbs, 30 prot, 20 fat. If I'm hungry at supermarket usually get a few slices of meat at deli, all my bars and shakes are high protein. Guess I have to stop seeing carbs as bad. I do the half cup brown rice, ww pasta, bran cereal route, but it seems that I should be eating more of them. Doesn't feel good. Doubling up on the grapefruits and apples. Salads don't add up to anything. Probably should add in sweet potatos. And of course I can't just add in carbs, I've got to decrease my protein intake. Maybe my sweat will stop smelling of nitrogen (from using protein as a fuel). It is kinda gross. I'm moving into TMI so signing off. Hope everyone has a great workout today! Mitzi

Mitzi: 50/30/20 isn't high protein. It's actually a good balance as most people eat too many carbs, less protein and more fat. If you are eating 50% carbs and your sweat reeks of ammonia, that's muscle breaking down and cause for concern. Are you tracking your intake or just guessing? How many calories are you taking in and do you know your BMR? I had a terrible problem with this last summer when I changed to Paleo with higher fat, but my carbs were around 35% and I was doing 10 hours of weekly training. I didn't think you were doing that much cardio since you just started your training plan? Are you power lifting while fasted? Do you smell ammonia after every workout or only at certain times? I don't want to be bossy or tell you what to do and I'm not a doctor or nutrition expert, but endurance training and ammonia sweat are not a good combo.

2013-04-11 7:39 PM

User image

Extreme Veteran
, Connecticut
Lisa,
No offense taken, appreciate any input. I recorded my food very closely for a few months and that was the ratio. Recent time my cal intake was between 1200 - 1600. I burn about 1400 cals just breathing. My BMI is 30.40 (yeah, almost just fat and not obese)

My eating is pretty consistent as it's just habit now. I'm guessing that my cal are currently 1600 or so. I am not starving in any way. I did love lifting heavy weights, but certainly nothing high enough to do any harm. Not doing any lifting now.
The smell is pretty consistent. Any guess about it? I might post about it on another thread, seems a few folks around here have some medical info.

Mitzi

Edited by MuscleMomma 2013-04-11 7:42 PM
2013-04-11 10:56 PM

User image

Expert
, New Hampshire
I scared to weigh in tomorrow. I had an excellent week, I see positive changes and I feel good, but the scale is not my friend! We'll see...

2013-04-12 7:54 AM

User image

Expert

200 even this morning.  Up 2.2 which I expected based off the week I have had.  I was a little disappointed to see that number I have to admit, even though I was expecting a gain.

However, this morning I had an epiphany on the way to work.  I am being absolutely ridiculous.  January 2012 I weighed 260 lbs.  I had a goal to get down to 220 and maintain that.  I had been at 205 for 6 months or so.  Now I'm down to 200 and I'M DISAPPOINTED?!?!?!  What the heck is wrong with me.  I have become too weight obsessed.  I am letting a number on a scale be far too dominant a force in my life.  Here I am looking better than I have in probably 19 years.  Even the wife has commented that she is seeing the beginning of a formation of a 6 pack for crying out loud and all I can see is 2.2 lb. gain.  I'm running further and faster than I have in probably the same span of years and I'm upset over 2.2 lbs?  I need to re-evaluate my priorities.

Therefore I am going to stay off the scale until I finish my Olympic at the end of this month.  I will remain in here as an active participant, because you guys still help hold me accountable.  I'm gonna go out, train my @$$ off, eat right (and occasionally wrong), and kick this triathlon in the groin.  Then two months later I'm going to rock my first HIM and enjoy some other races through the season.

I've already accomplished more than I ever thought I would at the start of this, and it's time for me to focus on my health and fitness above my weight.   Everyone's case is different and this of course is just food for thought, so take it for what it's worth.

2013-04-12 8:39 AM

User image

Expert
, New Hampshire

Thanks for your post and positivity, Don. I hopped on the scale after a GREAT week of eating well and working out and I'm still stuck, for the third week, at 123 lbs. I'm incredibly frustrated and my husband is telling me to forget about the number on the scale since I know I'm liking what I see in the mirror. But I really want that number to budge. I'm only 3 lbs away from my goal and it feels like I'm never going to get there.

This is the danger zone...this is where I typically give up and gain a few lbs back because I figure, "what's the point of trying?" I've definitely come too far to give up, so I'm still motivated, but I am pretty frustrated with the numbers.

I promised myself a little shopping spree reward at 120 lbs and I worry I'll never get there. Ugh.

Hope you are all doing well BTers.

2013-04-12 11:22 AM

User image

Extreme Veteran
, Connecticut
Don, you are a real success story!

Yes, there comes a point where you are on the path on sane, healthy living and health. Occasional attention on off seasons or around the holidays is probably a good idea for those of us who have had (have) food issues, but that's not you now.

I really enjoy your posts, so I hope no one gets mad at me for saying this but if you think the focus of this thread is not the best for you now I'd look for you on other threads here at BT. Do what works for you.

Mitzi
2013-04-12 11:30 AM

User image

Extreme Veteran
, Connecticut
Down 2 lbs. I haven't been recording my food, but have been making good decisions when I eat. I think my increase in cardio is going to be good at least while it's new for me.

I usually lift weights as I found cardio hard! I've been doing cardio for the last few weeks getting myself in shape for my tri training plan, but now on the plan I'm doing more cardio than ever, and more consistantly than ever - 6 days a week past two weeks.

I did my first brick of the plan - 60 mins on stationary bike right to a 10 mins run on treadmill. I ran faster than ever (for me that was 11 mins/mile). I felt like Rocky when he flew up those stairs.

Mitzi
2013-04-12 12:23 PM

User image

Champion
New York, NY

Don great work

Jess - I have been basically stuck for a month, 10 pounds from my goal race weight - I feel your pain

Mitzi - good job!

2013-04-12 12:27 PM

User image

Veteran
Vicksburg

Don: Rock on! You have accomplished so much. Don't get bogged down in the details when you feel fantastic and look great. I have to remind myself of that sometimes, too. I'm not a number on a scale.

Mitzi: Good for you!

I'm the same, which is better than I expected. HM last Saturday followed by 3 hr bike on Sunday usually means I see a gain due to inflammation. My nutrition has been great, I'm in taper for my first HIM next weekend and it's all good. Now I just have to dial back the calories a bit for the week so I don't show up bloated on race day. Thank goodness the ham is gone now!

2013-04-12 1:50 PM

User image

Master
Pulaski TN
Down 2 more pounds to 238. Finally in the 230s. Also had a Half mary this weekend and Prd by 11 minutes so I was very excited about that!!! Great work everyone and best wishes next week!!!
2013-04-13 11:44 AM

User image

Extreme Veteran
Shawboro, NC

As expected, I dunno what I weigh right now.  I can tell you that I feel better than I have in years, though.

In other news, I joined another site aimed at mud runners... I've jumped into one of their challenges, which was to do 1000 squats in the month of April.  I started on April 8th, and I've already made goal!

I'm currently in a bind.  I have an ex-firefighter friend who can no longer perform said job due to his body being destroyed by MS.  I found out about the Hero Rush in my area, and I KNEW I had to do it.  Then, I realized the Hero Rush is happening the same day as the OBX Olympic Triathlon.  I have a personal score to settle with the OBX Oly, too.  It will be a tough decision.

As far as my goal to dominate the Breezy Point Sprint Triathlon on June 2... it's looking bad.  My work schedule has kept me out of the pool, and water temps around here are still in the low 50's, so OWS is right out (even if I had a full suit, I wouldn't want to do it).  I will start getting some drink time, though, and I will compete.  I'll simiply have to maintain that even if I DLF, it's still better than DNF and leagues better than DNS.  I'll still try to rock the goal of finishing the ride in under 33 minutes and the run in under 30. 

From a financial viewpoint, I fear I will not get to race as much as I would like.  I'll keep training, though.

2013-04-13 12:23 PM
in reply to: #4698910

User image

Royal(PITA)
West Chester, Ohio
SpeedKnight - 2013-04-13 12:44 PM

As expected, I dunno what I weigh right now.  I can tell you that I feel better than I have in years, though.

In other news, I joined another site aimed at mud runners... I've jumped into one of their challenges, which was to do 1000 squats in the month of April.  I started on April 8th, and I've already made goal!

I'm currently in a bind.  I have an ex-firefighter friend who can no longer perform said job due to his body being destroyed by MS.  I found out about the Hero Rush in my area, and I KNEW I had to do it.  Then, I realized the Hero Rush is happening the same day as the OBX Olympic Triathlon.  I have a personal score to settle with the OBX Oly, too.  It will be a tough decision.

As far as my goal to dominate the Breezy Point Sprint Triathlon on June 2... it's looking bad.  My work schedule has kept me out of the pool, and water temps around here are still in the low 50's, so OWS is right out (even if I had a full suit, I wouldn't want to do it).  I will start getting some drink time, though, and I will compete.  I'll simiply have to maintain that even if I DLF, it's still better than DNF and leagues better than DNS.  I'll still try to rock the goal of finishing the ride in under 33 minutes and the run in under 30. 

From a financial viewpoint, I fear I will not get to race as much as I would like.  I'll keep training, though.

Can you do a race raising funds toward MS research in his honor?  I know there are bike events in VA for it, think it's a 2 day ride for MS.  I have friends (not on this site) who do it.
2013-04-13 4:29 PM
in reply to: #4698948

User image

Extreme Veteran
Shawboro, NC

QueenZipp - 2013-04-13 1:23 PM

Can you do a race raising funds toward MS research in his honor?  I know there are bike events in VA for it, think it's a 2 day ride for MS.  I have friends (not on this site) who do it.

I didn't think about that.  This one hit home because of the firefighter aspect... my buddy loved his job as a firefighter; losing that may as well have killed him.

I'm seriously contemplating just doing the Rush and then doing the OBX Sprint the next day... I'll just divide last year's Oly time in half and then beat that!  lol

2013-04-13 4:34 PM
in reply to: #4699086

User image

Champion
Bronze member
SpeedKnight - 2013-04-13 5:29 PM

QueenZipp - 2013-04-13 1:23 PM

I didn't think about that.  This one hit home because of the firefighter aspect... my buddy loved his job as a firefighter; losing that may as well have killed him.

I'm seriously contemplating just doing the Rush and then doing the OBX Sprint the next day... I'll just divide last year's Oly time in half and then beat that!  lol

That sounds like a good plan. The Oly will be there next year. Your buddy will appreciate the RUSH this year... and so will you.

2013-04-14 10:15 AM

User image

Extreme Veteran
, Connecticut
Lisa, I find I gain weight the day after a great workout - thought it might be retaining water. The inflammation thing makes a lot of sense.

Speed Knight - under 33 mins for bike, 5k under 30 - what sprint are you doing where that will place you last?! Substituting the sprint for the oly is a good compromise. Another idea is aren't those races fund raisers? Don't know about cash flow, but could you be a contributor instead of a participant?

GreenMtn - congrats on the loss. Sorry if I missed a post, but does that mean you are feeling better, maybe weaning off of some of the meds you were on?

I'd like to say that I am doing great! Have done all of the workouts scheduled for the first two weeks of my plan.
Missed a day or two, but then just doubled up. Am used to longer workouts before tri's but have to ease into running and swimming is a big deal to do 700 yds, so considering doubling up one or two more times a week.

So glad I got in shape to start. It feels good to be able to complete the workouts required.

Took a friend out for Thai last night. Felt so uncomfortable eating such greasy food. Honestly would have preferred not being there. Just need to not let it flow into future meals this week.

Struggling with salty chip cravings - using 1 oz bags to indulge when I do. Used to justify the large bags because they were cheaper/ oz. My bodys worth the pennies difference esp. considering when I buy a 5 oz bag, I'm likely to eat three times as much.

Mitzi

Edited by MuscleMomma 2013-04-14 10:18 AM
2013-04-14 6:38 PM
in reply to: #4699522

User image

Extreme Veteran
Shawboro, NC

MuscleMomma - 2013-04-14 11:15 AM

Speed Knight - under 33 mins for bike, 5k under 30 - what sprint are you doing where that will place you last?! Substituting the sprint for the oly is a good compromise. Another idea is aren't those races fund raisers? Don't know about cash flow, but could you be a contributor instead of a participant?

I don't think those times will have me in last place; I used the DLF > DNF > DNS saying to say just going and doing my best is better than worrying that I'm not ready to crush it.  I will do my best.  I will push as hard as I can.  If that lands me on the podium, good on me; if it finds me MOP or BOP, then I know what I have to do to podium next year!

I suppose I could contribute to the Rush and do the Oly, but it just wouldn't feel the same. 

2013-04-14 9:50 PM

User image

Extreme Veteran
, Connecticut
Lisa, HIM - how exciting! Can't wait to read your report.
2013-04-15 11:22 AM

User image

Pro
NorCal
Glad to see everyone doing so well, happy Monday!

2013-04-15 2:59 PM

User image

Extreme Veteran
, Connecticut
Bummed out that my knee hurts. Started behind the knee, then radiated to the front last night, hard to walk.
Can't believe I could get knocked out so easily, only training two weeks! Guessing the stationary bike is not a good fit but it's too cold to go out yet.

Babied it today at the gym Couldn't do nothing so did an upper body workout to near exhaustion - focused on shoulders and lats. Hope it helps in swimming. Did some abs too.

Hoping I can bike tomorrow. Otherwise do I walk on the treadmill just to keep moving? It's better today, so hoping I can do something cardio tomorrow.

Mitzi
2013-04-15 7:39 PM

Had an indulgent weekend, but got great workouts in.  Decided to go out and push it today in honor of the victims in Boston.  Nearly a minute off my 5K record, and finally under 30min.  29:42.

2013-04-15 9:24 PM
in reply to: #4699522

User image

Expert
, New Hampshire

MuscleMomma - 2013-04-14 11:15 AM GreenMtn - congrats on the loss. Sorry if I missed a post, but does that mean you are feeling better, maybe weaning off of some of the meds you were on?

Hm, that's not me. I've been stuck at 123 lbs for three weeks, and I'm not on any meds. Easy to get confused. I should use my real name!

Sorry to hear your knee's not doing well. Do you swim? If your knee hurts it might be wise to ease up on the bike and run and spend some time in the pool.

ETA: By the way, I'm Jess.

Edited by GreenMtnLabbit 2013-04-15 9:25 PM
2013-04-15 11:37 PM

Champion
No excuses!
Need to start hanging out in here more again. Been slacking big time and summer is almost here, lots of big goals that need a ton of work to get there.
New Thread
General Discussion Triathlon Talk » DOWN for 2013 - New Year New You! Rss Feed  

of 33