BT Development Mentor Program Archives » We Don't Just Tri - We Do Group - Closed Rss Feed  
Moderators: alicefoeller Reply

of 22

2013-06-13 10:14 AM
in reply to: tukutuku

User image

Veteran
Monument, Colorado
Subject: RE: We Don't Just Tri - We Do Group - Closed
I've been off the net for a while - sorry about that. The last several weeks have been unbelievably crazy as I hosted my family and friends for my retirement ceremony, celebrated my daughter's graduation from high school, went on a cruise to Bermuda and finalized my outprocessesing from active duty. As of 1100 (11 AM) on the 11th of June I am no longer on active duty. Interestingly, I started my first day of basic training on the 11th of June 1982 - exactly 31 years to the day of my last day in the Army. I am now on transition leave until the 31st of July.

I still have an active race schedule on my calendar with several races coming up starting on Sunday with a Sprint race in Boulder. With my schedule I have not been training much - so this will be a walk through if you will. That is assuming I can go.

You might have seen in the news the large Blackforest wild fire in Colorado Springs (over 15,000 acres and over 360 homes destroyed). We are in a pre-evacuation notice. The western edge of the fire is about 3 miles or so from our neighborhood. The winds are pretty bad, and though the fire has remained to the east of us we are not out of threat yet. So, we are packed and ready to transfer to our vehicles to evacuate if given the voluntary notice to do so. Today will be an important day.

Anyway, I look forward to catching up with all you have accomplished and reengaging with the group.

Mr. Thom Salo (has a nice ring to it)
Colonel, United States Army (Retired)

2013-06-13 1:44 PM
in reply to: Bull

User image

Veteran
Monument, Colorado
Originally posted by Bull

However my wife and biggest supporter bought me a new Tri- bike for father's day. Went Hawley's (LBS) today and got it all set up and brought it home. Didn't get a chance to ride it except up and down the street a few time, but compared to my old bike it's a rocket. Can't wait till tomorrow morning to give it a ride. I've got a tri that literally starts in my front yard in two weeks coming up. I can see the start/ finish line from my front Porsche, and I'm going to run ride the bike course in the morn.

How awesome is she! I need to figure out how to get my wife to do the same.

While you can do a tri on any type of bike - you will love the difference riding a tri bike.

Good luck,

2013-06-13 1:47 PM

User image

Veteran
Monument, Colorado
Originally posted by tukutuku

I finished! Last morning I saw frost on the ground and seriously thought about backing out, but somehow drove to the park and got to the start line. There was approx 10 of us without wetsuits. The swim was cold, but not to the bone, what slowed me down was poor sighting. Approximately every 20 strokes I had to switch to breaststroke and look where I am going. I meant to watch you tube videos and practice in the pool, but oh well... Transition mistake was putting on long pants (imagine the dance I did) and leaving the hoodie. My arms were freezing on the ride. Now when I think back I should have pushed harder on the bike, instead I was just enjoying that I was done with the swim. At least I did not slam on brakes going downhills like I did last year. On my run I became more focused, sped up on the second loop, even passed couple people. My total time was 1:31, nothing special, but I still got medal for the first place in my age group. Overall that was a good race, I'm glad that I did it. Next week we are going to Boston, to our daughter's graduation, so I will have to improvise with the training. I hope the hotel will have fitness room and the pool.
Thanks for all encouraging words, it meant so much to me.
Bull congrats on your new bike! Just in time for the race.

Jurga

Jurga,

Congratulations - first in your age group - way cool. Glad you chose to do the race and that you enjoyed it as well. How awesome does it feel.

Thom
2013-06-13 1:54 PM
in reply to: Bluewrx

User image

Veteran
Monument, Colorado
Originally posted by Bluewrx

Well, I finally got my first race under my belt even though I had a massive chest cold. I had been looking forward to it for such a long time that I just couldn't pass it up.

Swim - This was a pool swim with four to a lane which was unique to say the least. I swam a decent pace for 500M and finished it in just under 12 minutes which included the run to T1 since that was where the mat was.

T1 - The parking lost had a bunch of small gravel in it so I needed to spend extra time washing my feet before I put the socks on. I still haven't tried biking without socks. Overall it took about 1:38 to get out on and onto the bike.

Bike - I was able to pass 30 or so riders on the bike and only got passed once. It was a 2 lap course and on the second lap the wind really picked up and seemed to be either a headwind or crosswind most of the time. Finished in 42:06 which was 59th out of 178. Top 33% so I'm happy with that.

T2 - Think it went pretty well but had to go back for sunscreen which probably added 20 sec or so. Finished in 1:32

Run - I ran the pace I expected, it was windy and finished it in 30:07. I need to work harder on getting faster on the run. I ranked 118 on this part.

Overall all I had a great time and finished in 1:26:56. In my age group (45-49) I finished 14th out of 27 and overall 82 out of 178.

I'll take that!

Congratulations. Those are great transition times - I'd love to post times like those. Great finish as well. Pool swims can be goofy - my first tri we had about 10 or so people in the lane, made for an interesting race.

Looking forward to hearing about your next goal.

Thom
2013-06-13 8:58 PM
in reply to: sundevil87

Thom, I hope you and your family stay safe.
2013-06-15 1:33 PM

Great job Bluewrx! Congratulations on finishing your first triathlon! I wish you many tri's in the future. The swim looks really weird: How did you start swim 4 in one lane? All together or one after another? How did you avoid collision with swimmer going in opposite direction?
What are your other races this season?

Thanks tukutuku! All four climbed into the same lane, the starter pushed a button on a box and the first person started and then 5 seconds later he told the next one to go and so on. You avoided the collision by always swimming on the right side of the lane.

I'm going to do the racing underground series which is My Way or the Tri Way on July 6th, the Evergreen Tri on July 28th & the Crescent Moon Tri on Sept 14th. What are your tri's?

2013-06-15 1:35 PM

Originally posted by sundevil87

Originally posted by Bluewrx

Well, I finally got my first race under my belt even though I had a massive chest cold. I had been looking forward to it for such a long time that I just couldn't pass it up.

Swim - This was a pool swim with four to a lane which was unique to say the least. I swam a decent pace for 500M and finished it in just under 12 minutes which included the run to T1 since that was where the mat was.

T1 - The parking lost had a bunch of small gravel in it so I needed to spend extra time washing my feet before I put the socks on. I still haven't tried biking without socks. Overall it took about 1:38 to get out on and onto the bike.

Bike - I was able to pass 30 or so riders on the bike and only got passed once. It was a 2 lap course and on the second lap the wind really picked up and seemed to be either a headwind or crosswind most of the time. Finished in 42:06 which was 59th out of 178. Top 33% so I'm happy with that.

T2 - Think it went pretty well but had to go back for sunscreen which probably added 20 sec or so. Finished in 1:32

Run - I ran the pace I expected, it was windy and finished it in 30:07. I need to work harder on getting faster on the run. I ranked 118 on this part.

Overall all I had a great time and finished in 1:26:56. In my age group (45-49) I finished 14th out of 27 and overall 82 out of 178.

I'll take that!

Congratulations. Those are great transition times - I'd love to post times like those. Great finish as well. Pool swims can be goofy - my first tri we had about 10 or so people in the lane, made for an interesting race.

Looking forward to hearing about your next goal.

Thom

Thanks! For my next goal I'd like to get faster on the run!
2013-06-16 8:43 AM

User image

Denver, CO

I've been off the net for a while - sorry about that. The last several weeks have been unbelievably crazy as I hosted my family and friends for my retirement ceremony, celebrated my daughter's graduation from high school, went on a cruise to Bermuda and finalized my outprocessesing from active duty. As of 1100 (11 AM) on the 11th of June I am no longer on active duty. Interestingly, I started my first day of basic training on the 11th of June 1982 - exactly 31 years to the day of my last day in the Army. I am now on transition leave until the 31st of July.

I still have an active race schedule on my calendar with several races coming up starting on Sunday with a Sprint race in Boulder. With my schedule I have not been training much - so this will be a walk through if you will. That is assuming I can go.

You might have seen in the news the large Blackforest wild fire in Colorado Springs (over 15,000 acres and over 360 homes destroyed). We are in a pre-evacuation notice. The western edge of the fire is about 3 miles or so from our neighborhood. The winds are pretty bad, and though the fire has remained to the east of us we are not out of threat yet. So, we are packed and ready to transfer to our vehicles to evacuate if given the voluntary notice to do so. Today will be an important day.

Anyway, I look forward to catching up with all you have accomplished and reengaging with the group.

Thom,

Its good to hear from you. Congratulations on retirement. 31 years is quite an accomplishment! I hope you get to race this weekend (actually as I type this you could actually be on the course). I hope you dont have to evacutate. Stay safe and hopefully I will see you at Ironman Boulder in August.

Jeff
2013-06-17 8:35 PM

User image

Veteran
Kennebunkport, Qatar

Thom, welcome back. Congratulations on your retirement! Thank you for a job well done!
Good luck on the fire situation, I know that feeling all too well, living in the foot hills of Reno for a long time we had our fair share of scares, We will keep you in pour prayers! Also congrats on your daughters graduation, My daughters graduated last week and will be heading off to college in a few months, then it is empty nest time for my wife and I, 31 years in the making!

I hope you were able to get your race in on Sunday and had a good time.

I hope everyone is off to a good summer, I am finally getting in some good training and hoping that work doesn't get in the way.

Still nothing planned as far as races other than my Half in September, but will find something soon.
2013-06-18 8:51 PM

Simsbury, CT

Armando, you must be living in a very tri friendly place were people do triathlons on the way home from work......

We actually have a 3-4 series like it. There is another one closer to home here the bike leg is on a trail so you need a mountain bike. I should try that try

2013-06-18 8:52 PM
in reply to: Mountaindan

Simsbury, CT
Thom,

congrats!!! Retirement is so far into the future for me that I can't even imagine it.

2013-06-19 10:14 AM
in reply to: Armandova

User image

Denver, CO
Hey everyone,

Its finally race week for me. I finally get to race after my first attempt at Longmont turned into a swim/ run duathlon, and then a scratch due to bronchitis about 3 weeks ago which I had to steadily work myself back into shape. If everything goes well I will complete my first triathlon and join the rest of you!

2013-06-22 8:27 PM
in reply to: jmac5032

User image

Veteran
Monument, Colorado
Hey all,

I got the Boulder Sprint Tri in - I put up a race report. Not too much to it. This race is well covered so I didn't write much about the course. I just added my results info. The technical info is in my training log. It was a C race and I approached is a such. I was happy with the bike and run and my transitions. I was not happy with my swim - but I hadn't had a single swim session since Napa - so no wonder it was a bad swim. Well mostly, I did site very well and so I felt good about that.

This was the first tri that I've done where they did the swim start from on-shore chutes arranged by ability groups. I liked it. It spread out the field nicely and minimized the craziness. Some traditionalists will not care for it I'm sure, but I like it.

This past Thursday and Friday I participated in the Wasatch Back Ragnar relay in Utah. Another fun time. I had just over 20 miles in total for my three legs. I'm a little sore today in my heels. Most likely trigger point issues in my calves from the downhill running that I did. My second leg was a long decent.

The Garmin data should be up in my training logs.

Thom

BTW - it was announced that the first ever full distance Ironman in Colorado will be in Boulder next year on 4 August, I believe. Registration opens at 1200 on 17 July - will probably sell out in minutes. I'm going to try to get in on that action. An Ironman in my backyard, nice.
2013-06-23 7:38 PM

User image

Denver, CO
Nice Thom. I saw the Boulder Ironman announcement as well although I dont think it will be in my plans.

I had a good time over at Tri Boulder. Finished my first Oly. My race report is up.
2013-06-30 8:32 PM

Hi,
Jeff, congratulations on completing your first Oly. I read your race report, you finished strong, and your time is really good.
How everyone is doing? It is quiet here lately. Today I did my first OWS . Wow, I did not realize training in the lake could be so different from training in the pool. Just not being able to see where I am going, exhausted me much faster than I expected. In the pool my routine workout is approx 2000 yards but today I felt done after 1000. We will be camping in PA next weekend by the large lake and I'm going to swim swim swim.
Happy 4th of July.
Jurga
2013-07-02 6:41 PM

User image

Veteran
Kennebunkport, Qatar
Hi Jurga,

Swimming in the OW one you get the sighting down is soooo much nicer, at least in my opinion. No stopping and turning right when you find a nice easy stroke.
I am looking forward to the 4th, I will finally be able to do a mini tri with my tri club, first one this year and the way my summer is shaping up probably my only work is definitely getting in the way of training, 3 16 hour days this week leave no room for work outs. Still working towards my HIM in September, I wont be breaking any records, but should at least finish.

I hope everyone is having a good summer, lets see some more race reports.

Dan

2013-07-02 10:32 PM

User image

Denver, CO

Hi,
Jeff, congratulations on completing your first Oly. I read your race report, you finished strong, and your time is really good.
How everyone is doing? It is quiet here lately. Today I did my first OWS . Wow, I did not realize training in the lake could be so different from training in the pool. Just not being able to see where I am going, exhausted me much faster than I expected. In the pool my routine workout is approx 2000 yards but today I felt done after 1000. We will be camping in PA next weekend by the large lake and I'm going to swim swim swim.
Happy 4th of July.
Jurga

Thank you Jurga! It felt great to finish and such a great course over in Boulder. I was happy to be able compete their knowing the terrain is essentially the same for Boulder 70.3.

Good luck on the open water swimming. Remember sight sight sight! Are you feeling it in the shoulders a little bit more due to the wetsuit? I did and started getting in some strength training to help.
Have a great July 4th!
Jeff
2013-07-04 6:46 AM

Simsbury, CT
Jmac,

read your report - you had a great race!!! Wish I could hit some of your numbers, especially the bike. Congrats.
2013-07-04 6:53 AM

Simsbury, CT
Just back from vacation where I only got in 4-5 runs. Conditioning is down since the IM and an Olympic coming up next weekend. As I did with the IM, I am shifting my goal to just have fun with it. We will see how it goes. Happy 4th to everyone.

2013-07-04 3:14 PM

User image

Denver, CO
Originally posted by Armandova

Jmac,

read your report - you had a great race!!! Wish I could hit some of your numbers, especially the bike. Congrats.

Thanks Bro! Good luck in your Oly coming up.
Jeff
2013-07-08 9:15 PM

Hi,
I'm back from camping, covered in mosquito bites, but feeling rested and recharged. Happy to report that sighting is no longer a problem. There were so many boats on the lake that I had no other choice but to learn to look around. My favorite swim route was around a little island, so I practiced to make turns, swim against the sun and constantly watch for boats and water motorcycles and all this without breaking comfortable freestyle pace. Also run daily couple loops around the campground, and those were very hilly loops! Just started getting better and had to return to flat Ohio Tried bike once, but only road from campground was 2 mi climb and I'm not ready for that yet. Ended up walking the bike in couple places and was really jealous to mountain bikers that were passing me so effortlessly.
Armando, how was your oly? I'm next in line, my oly is 07/21.
Jurga

2013-07-09 6:06 AM

Simsbury, CT

Jurga, 

my Oly is this coming Sunday.   I have not really trained much for it but I think I have enough residual from the IM that I should be able to finish it and not be last.   I am just going to have fun with it. 

Good luck on yours.  

a

2013-07-18 12:27 PM

User image

Veteran
Monument, Colorado
Originally posted by jmac5032

Nice Thom. I saw the Boulder Ironman announcement as well although I dont think it will be in my plans.

I had a good time over at Tri Boulder. Finished my first Oly. My race report is up.

Jeff,

Read your report - super effort. I think you've got this tri thing down. Great numbers. Oddly, perhaps, your transition numbers stand out most to me considering it was your first tri. You are obviously a well conditioned and talented athlete, so the the event numbers are impressive, no doubt, but to get the transition numbers you did on your first time out is excellent.

Hopefully, we'll get a chance to meet at the 70.3. I'll be hanging around after the race. I racing in my Army trisuit - gold and black.

Thom
2013-07-18 12:32 PM

User image

Veteran
Monument, Colorado
Boulder Oly is done. Not especially happy with the numbers. The ride was not good. Was hoping for a time in the 21 mph category. The ride up Old Stage was to put it in a phrase - a . Luckily that hill is not on the 70.3 course. Race report is up.

70.3 is next. Should, hopefully, get a chance to meet Jeff since he is doing the race too.

I took advantage of a VIP registration for the inaugural Ironman Boulder next that was afforded to those who did the Boulder Tri-series this year. So, looks like there are two more iron distance races on the calendar in the coming year - HITS Palms Springs in December, and now IM Boulder in August next year.

Thom
2013-07-19 10:13 AM

User image

Denver, CO

Boulder Oly is done. Not especially happy with the numbers. The ride was not good. Was hoping for a time in the 21 mph category. The ride up Old Stage was to put it in a phrase - a . Luckily that hill is not on the 70.3 course. Race report is up.

70.3 is next. Should, hopefully, get a chance to meet Jeff since he is doing the race too.

I took advantage of a VIP registration for the inaugural Ironman Boulder next that was afforded to those who did the Boulder Tri-series this year. So, looks like there are two more iron distance races on the calendar in the coming year - HITS Palms Springs in December, and now IM Boulder in August next year.

Thom

Thom, I am also glad Old Stage is not on the 70.3 course. It looks tough! How did it go with the 35 mph speed limit enforcement on the decent? Also how was the self-seeding process for the swim? Are people seeding based on an all-out 100 yard time or race pace 100 yard time? Mine are very different as I can suspect most people's would be.

I will look for you at Boulder 70.3. I race in a Rocky Mountain Tri Club kit. Its mostly blue with some yellow and black.
New Thread
BT Development Mentor Program Archives » We Don't Just Tri - We Do Group - Closed Rss Feed  

of 22