General Discussion Triathlon Talk » Fitzgerald 1/2 iron plan Rss Feed  
Moderators: k9car363, alicefoeller Reply
2013-01-03 5:12 PM

User image

Veteran
Littleton, CO
Subject: Fitzgerald 1/2 iron plan

So I got this book last night and started to go through it planning my half iron in August. It is pretty straight forward and I am looking forward to using it but I have a few questions for those of you who have used it before.

My official 20 week training will start when its still cold and snowing here in colorado. So my issue is mainly going to be the special rides on the bike hill repeats etc. Most of the special workouts on the run are fine on a treadmill and possible even in bad weather, however the bike will be in the pain cave on the trainer for most of the first few months of the official plan.

I do have a kurt kinetic and have trainerroad however I am not sure how trainerroad would integrate with the plan as well?

So my first question is how and what have you done on the trainer per the workout plan?

Second would be the volume I currently am above the volume in running and swimming by a decent amount for the level 4 of the 1/2 iron plan and would just need to add bike time. Just trying to make sure that this would still be the correct and right option? It will be my first and I am planning on being competitive I know I have no chance of placement or anything crazy.

2013-01-03 5:24 PM
in reply to: #4560842

User image

Expert
McAllen
Subject: RE: Fitzgerald 1/2 iron plan
You're always welcome to adapt training plans to how you see fit. They're generally cookie cutter guidelines for "most" people. If your volume is already above what it's telling you just tweak it a little bit.
2013-01-03 5:30 PM

User image

Sensei
Sin City

I have used several of his plans.  On some of those workouts you mention, I use a spin bike at the gym and just crank up the tension for the time prescribed.  I have done this on my trainer at home with not quite as good of results (tension doesn't get high enough for really hard out of the saddle efforts).  But you can probably crank it up enough and in combination of keeping your RPM up, get your HR to where it needs to be for those intervals.

In fact, I found these workouts to be better inside.  More controllable.  If I do outdoor repeats, the time down is often so fast it doesn't offer enough time for recovery.  For example, a 1 minute climb?  I can get down in around 30 seconds even coasting, and if the rest interval is 2 minutes?  It get's tough.

I also think that the plan you chose (need to add bike but over on the swim and run) is the prudent choice.  With the increase of bike volume, you could use the "rest" of shorter swims and runs.  But, no rules against doing the bike and just extending the s/r if you feel it's too short.  I don't think I would chose the plan that matches your s/r because your bike volume would be WAY short of what's required.

Edited by Kido 2013-01-03 5:31 PM
2013-01-03 6:31 PM

User image

Veteran
Littleton, CO

Previously I used the BT plan for my olympic and everything was just based on time I never did any speed work, intervals etc so I guess the biggest thing throwing me off is the different workouts and making sure I get them accomplished so the plan is successful.

I plan to continue my 3 days a week of masters which is roughly 9000 yards a week over the max peak week of 8000 and plan to keep running 5-6 days with a Barry p style as its been working amazing for me over the last two months.

Overall I assume I will just need to adjust accordingly and try and make sure the workouts are done.

2013-01-03 8:08 PM

User image

I agree that most designed bike workouts are "logistically" easier on the trainer because there are no outside variables.  Who's to say you can even find a hill that meets the requirement of the workout?  Stop signs and turns can also interrupt the flow of a planned interval.

If you're using trainnerroad, I believe they have a beta version available (might be in production, but you can email them) that allows you to create your own workouts.  For hills, just create an interval with a higher target for the given length of time.  You don't actually have to "climb" to get the benefit. 

2013-01-03 9:32 PM
in reply to: #4561050

User image

Veteran
Littleton, CO
tri808 - 2013-01-03 7:08 PM

I agree that most designed bike workouts are "logistically" easier on the trainer because there are no outside variables.  Who's to say you can even find a hill that meets the requirement of the workout?  Stop signs and turns can also interrupt the flow of a planned interval.

If you're using trainnerroad, I believe they have a beta version available (might be in production, but you can email them) that allows you to create your own workouts.  For hills, just create an interval with a higher target for the given length of time.  You don't actually have to "climb" to get the benefit. 

Thanks that is the info I was looking for I went through a lot of the program tonight and about once a week for a few weeks it calls for anywhere from 9x1min to 12x1min hill climbs with 2 min active recovery between them. Like stated before that would be kinda a pain in the to not only find but do. You think a high gear hard interval on the trainer would replicate the hill rather well?

2013-01-04 8:02 AM

User image

Veteran
Northern Illinois

I have used his plans for my last 2 HIM races and will be using his plan again for my IM this Fall. If you don't have a hill locally that will work then you can use the trainer and use a gear that simulates the effort of climbing the hill. I have also used the Spinerval DVD "Uphill Grind" in place of some of the hill work Matt prescribes. It's a 45 minute workout that simulates climbing.

I use the level 6 plan for my swimming and biking and the level 7 plan for the running. My only question for you is that you say you are going to continue with your masters swimming and BarryP running. If that's the case, are you just using the plan for your biking, or am I misunderstanding your approach?

2013-01-04 8:20 AM
in reply to: #4561522

User image

Extreme Veteran
Lake Placid, NY
TriBoilermaker - 2013-01-04 9:02 AM

I have used his plans for my last 2 HIM races and will be using his plan again for my IM this Fall. If you don't have a hill locally that will work then you can use the trainer and use a gear that simulates the effort of climbing the hill. I have also used the Spinerval DVD "Uphill Grind" in place of some of the hill work Matt prescribes. It's a 45 minute workout that simulates climbing.

x2 on "Uphill Grind" for hill work. I used it in my preparation for IMLP last winter/early spring and it had me hurling every curse I knew (FOUR languages) at Coach Troy. With always going a couple gears easier than he prescribed.

2013-01-04 11:03 AM
in reply to: #4561522

User image

Veteran
Littleton, CO
TriBoilermaker - 2013-01-04 7:02 AM

I use the level 6 plan for my swimming and biking and the level 7 plan for the running. My only question for you is that you say you are going to continue with your masters swimming and BarryP running. If that's the case, are you just using the plan for your biking, or am I misunderstanding your approach?

I def have hills and will be able to do it as spring and summer comes along but in march and april we usually have snow and cold still so I have no choice but the trainer.

I was actually planning on using his training for the bike and the run and just slightly mod it, my following of the Barry P would be more about doing 5-6 days a week and I was planning on using the 3 in Fitzgerald plan as my two medium and 1 long.

Basically I just wanted structure and somewhat of a guideline instead of what I am doing now which is just running swimming and biking when ever. I am really not set on anything other than masters but have noticed amazing gains maintaining 30 MPW running 6-7 days a week for the last month or so.

2013-01-04 1:26 PM
in reply to: #4562004

User image

Veteran
Northern Illinois
Exige - 2013-01-04 11:03 AM

I def have hills and will be able to do it as spring and summer comes along but in march and april we usually have snow and cold still so I have no choice but the trainer.

I was actually planning on using his training for the bike and the run and just slightly mod it, my following of the Barry P would be more about doing 5-6 days a week and I was planning on using the 3 in Fitzgerald plan as my two medium and 1 long.

Basically I just wanted structure and somewhat of a guideline instead of what I am doing now which is just running swimming and biking when ever. I am really not set on anything other than masters but have noticed amazing gains maintaining 30 MPW running 6-7 days a week for the last month or so.

Sounds like you have a plan. Good luck with your training, I think you will like the Fitzgerald plans. The 10 levels are really nice for adjusting along the way in case you went a little too easy or hard on your original choice.

2013-01-04 2:59 PM
in reply to: #4562004

User image

Master
Exige - 2013-01-04 12:03 PM

I'm planning on using a Fitzgerald HIM plan as well, sort of same boat but will be following a Marathon plan simultaneously.  HIM will be early/mid Sept, Marathon in mid-October.  Currently running 6 days per week for a HM plan.  Was planning on dialing back easy days of running and try to line those up with harder days of cycling?  Does that sound like it makes sense?

Edited by dangremond 2013-01-04 3:01 PM

2013-01-04 3:52 PM

User image

Veteran
Littleton, CO

yeah that does make sense and that's kinda what I had in mind I am writing out his full plan in a calendar. Then I am going to adjust and add as I see fit I would like to use my middle length runs as his training runs since they are about 40-60 min in length and continue the long runs. Then I can add in two short easy days and have 5 runs go for 4 bike and 3 swim.

I am also going to look at trainerroad rides and see if any fit the scheduled ride of the plan and write those names into the calendar.

New Thread
General Discussion Triathlon Talk » Fitzgerald 1/2 iron plan Rss Feed