BT Development Mentor Program Archives » Jenny's Winter "Find What Drives You" Mentor Group - Open Rss Feed  
Moderators: alicefoeller Reply

of 18

2013-05-18 6:27 PM
in reply to: HelmoAlkou

User image

Baton Rouge
Subject: RE: Jenny's Winter "Find What Drives You" Mentor Group - Open
Originally posted by HelmoAlkou

Well, the BT face lift is complete!

Yes, we're all good. Thank you! I was surprised that you heard about us up North until I found out we were national news. All I can say about the last few days is, "WOW!". We escaped any major damage to our house although we're right in the middle of the subdivision that got hit. We had two windows broken out, most of our fencing and trees are gone. One of which landed on my daughters car. Inside there's glass everywhere from the windows. Quiet a bit of water, foliage, and small debris came in one window but it was in our large dining room where the floor is tiled. So no water damage! Our neighbors and us came out best of everyone in our division. Many lost some or all of their roofing which lead to flooding. Some lost walls and sections of their homes while way too many were completely destroyed.

The utility companies simply amazed me. Those guys where showing up even before daylight, there where lines down everywhere. We were cutting a tree out of the house, turn around, and a new utility pole with a transformer would be up. No kidding, they replace at least 15 poles and transformers the first day on the main street into our area. We went 2-1/2 days without power and I really thought it would be a week. Volunteers from all over came to help, more on the second day but they were much needed. Our family of four worked for two full days, sun up to sun down, just on our yard and we're still not finished. And like I said, we were lucky.

Something a little funny. As we talked about gathering flash lights, phones, and water in our designated storm room (laundry room) I bought my bike though the house. And they wouldn't let my bring it in!!! Can you believe the nerve? We laughed and joked right up to the point when all you could hear was the deafening "freight train" sound of the tornado outside, large debris smashing into the house, and windows giving way. It's not my first tornado but it was my biggest and the first for my kids. The fear in their eyes was the most heart breaking couple of minutes I've known. Knowing there's absolutely nothing you can do but hold on.

My neighbor was the first to bang on my door then we went to other houses, door by door, checking on people. It was staggering to see the damage when the sun came up. Then to find out there wasn't one major injury or fatality. I'm a little sad today because I know some of the close bonds of friendship that have been made will slowly disappear over time with the return of our electricity, air conditioners, and TV's.

Erica - Do you have a race today?? Post the results and I'll try to get back on soon to check it out. If it's tomorrow... Go Get Em!!

Oh wow!! So glad to hear you and your family are ok. I was wondering as well knowing you are in the area.

2013-05-21 8:13 AM
in reply to: tygr_tri

User image

Veteran
Kitchener
Holy crap, Monty. So happy to hear you're ok. You and your family have been on my mind and in my prayers all weekened, and then to hear of the devastation in OK, its just terrifying. We just had a big t-storm last night and that was scary enough. I'm breathing a sigh of relief for you. thank you for getting back online and letting us know you're ok.

As for me, 6 days to go. Sunday is the day. My daughter has been sick for about the last two weeks, so i can't count the number of workouts i've missed and the lack of sleep is pretty intense, so I'm just hoping to catch some extra z's at night and get a few light workouts in this week. It was 86* here yesterday and about 80* here today before the temps drop down to low 70s again, so hoping those two days have warmed up the water for the weekend. Race day forecast is looking like mid 60s and sunny. So likely a chilly start, but nice to not get too hot on the bike and run.

Got out for a "big" (for me) bike yesterday... likely my last until race day. Ended up riding 19km in 45 min... average speed 25km/h... that's HUGE for me! Was pretty excited at the results. mind you there were some epic down hills that almost terrified me, but kept it all together and am getting much more comfortable on the bike. It has started to "tweet" at me... hopefully nothing that can't wait a week to get into the shop for. I've also realized (while going up a ridiculous hill) that I can't "stand" on my bike anymore... I used to be able to on a road bike, back before i got mountain bikes, but apparently now i'm completely inept at it. Hooray for low gears. :D

So my tri schedule has run out of workouts now, so i'm guessing I just do a couple of moderate SBRs this week and hope for the best on Sunday!
Happy Tuesday, all!
2013-05-21 7:49 PM
in reply to: pilot_e

User image

Veteran
Kitchener
aaaaaaaaaaaand apparently pre-race nerves have kicked in. i know i'm just a little nervous as its a much longer race than anything I've EVER done, and because i'm worried i'm going to totally pooch it in the water as its going to be a) cold and b) dark. I'm looking forward to just getting going and putting the 'what if's" out of my head and replacing them with "stroke/stroke/breathe, pedal/pedal/pedal, left/right/left/right".
2013-05-22 7:36 AM

User image

Veteran
Kitchener
This was awesome... went to a different pool this morning for a 5;45 start. Colder water. Completely thrashed my way through the first 500m, forgetting EVERYTHING I've been working on for the last few months, totally out of breath, and then the magic started... i got over it. I found a rhythm, got a better hold on my breathing and HR and just kept going. Don't know if it was because i'm used to much warmed water... don't know if it was becuase i'm used to swimming at 9pm... dont' know if it was just my brain trying to psych myself out, but it gave me pause to think that if that happens on race day, I'll be fine if I just keep going. Phew! Onward and upward... light run at lunch with my work running buddies.
2013-05-22 12:45 PM

User image

Veteran
Cleburne, Texas
Originally posted by pilot_e

• .. don't know if it was just my brain trying to psych myself out, but it gave me pause to think that if that happens on race day, I'll be fine if I just keep going. Phew!

• I screw everything up during my taper week. It never fails!

You'll do fine. You've put in the work. Your body knows what to do even though your mind will get all flakey on you! Tell it to shut up and get out of the way, you have a race to finish.

This is the second time I've posted, came back, and my post was gone. Not sure what's going on, buggie I guess.
    2013-05-22 8:30 PM

User image

Veteran
    Kitchener

I screw everything up during my taper week. It never fails!

Thank goodness! Well, not exactly what I mean, but yeah. :D Thanks for the virtual pat on the back and high five! I've just connected with a couple of other BTers who will be there... hoping to make some friends!

Cheers all!

2013-05-23 7:55 PM

User image

Veteran
    Kitchener
    BAAAAAAAAAAAAAH

Folks in the Ontario forum were discussing conditions for this weekend's race... the daytime high will only be 16* (60*F), the water is only 63*F and the MORNING temp is going to be 3*C (37*F)... making Sunday a wetsuit mandatory race. RD's biggest issue is hypothermia on the bike leg from being too cold starting out wet. I don't have a wetsuit. The stores that rent don't have a wetsuit in proportions that will fit me. The Ontario folks for the last two months have all been "oh don't worry... Woodstock always warms up! You'll be fine without a wetsuit". I think that's the kicker... they had me all primed to believe that I'd be a little chilly but ok.

RD has offered a switch to a Du if that ends up being the case. I don't know if i can run that far. I'm worried that I'll flare up my metatarsal bone spurs on the run, as they get pretty angry when I go over 6K and now i'm going to have to go 7.5. The wetsuit-on-site company is going to bring two potential suits for me and we're going to try to wedge me into it with silicone or a shoe horn or something, but I know that there's a real possibility that this won't work out in the end.

I'm pretty down... haven't gotten my head around it quite yet. I'll be racing something on Sunday and i'll learn and take lots away from whatever happens I know... this is not my 'A ', so I can just go and enjoy it... I'm just down that after 4 dedicated months of late nights and freezing cold and snowy runs and staying on track that I don't get a chance to at least try.

next Tri is July 7... traditionally the hottest week of the year. Fingers crossed that things go better in the days leading up to that one.
    2013-05-24 7:13 AM

User image

Veteran
    Kitchener
    Its a battle of wills now... us against Mother Nature (who incidentally has been a real witch to pretty much everyone lately).... it's snowing this morning!
    2013-05-24 4:08 PM

User image

Veteran
    Cleburne, Texas
    You can do it!! Take is easy and pace yourself. If you're running farther than expected just give yourself a slower pace at first and see how you feel at the halfway mark. You got this!

The cold sucks though, just saying....
    2013-05-25 3:13 PM

User image

Veteran
    Kitchener
    Thanks Monty! Things are looking up... I got a report from the RD: Temperature in the middle of the lake at 3:30 was 66F or 18.9C and at the shore it was 62F or 16.CF. AND I found a wetsuit!!! It won't be perfect, but I shouldn't die or anything. :D The morning at race time is still forecast to be bloody cold 48°F with a still north wind, but I'm not going to complain at this point. I've done too much of that this week!
    Here we go! I'll let you know how things went tomorrow eve! Thanks everyone!!!
    2013-05-25 9:17 PM

User image

Baton Rouge
    Originally posted by pilot_e

This was awesome... went to a different pool this morning for a 5;45 start. Colder water. Completely thrashed my way through the first 500m, forgetting EVERYTHING I've been working on for the last few months, totally out of breath, and then the magic started... i got over it. I found a rhythm, got a better hold on my breathing and HR and just kept going. Don't know if it was because i'm used to much warmed water... don't know if it was becuase i'm used to swimming at 9pm... dont' know if it was just my brain trying to psych myself out, but it gave me pause to think that if that happens on race day, I'll be fine if I just keep going. Phew! Onward and upward... light run at lunch with my work running buddies.

You're going to kick butt!! Way to push through and keep going in spite of it all!

2013-05-26 6:14 AM

User image

Veteran
    Cleburne, Texas
    I'm not getting email notifications for this thread anymore Change - gotta love it!
    2013-05-26 8:00 PM

User image

Veteran
    Kitchener
    Yes, I too am not getting notifications! Hope that will get fixed with the first patch to the new UI.

So HEY there folks! Guess what? I can do a sprint! SLOOOOWLY, but got 'er done. And guess what? The wetsuit totally makes the water not awful, despite it being a balmy 65*F in the middle of the lake and 10*C on land. And guess what? Once again, I CANNOT put my face in the water and not have my body go into a full-on freak out. OMG... honestly, getting through that swim took about as much mental fortitude as giving birth without drugs, I KID YOU NOT. WTF??? I'm a good swimmer. I'm a confident swimmer. I've swam in lakes before, with my face in. But for the life of me, I cannot do it now. I have 6 weeks to figure it out before my next race. I swam the majority of that on my back, hyperventilating into the sun. It was pretty epic. Last out the water. BUT... KILLED IT on the bike. paced 25 km/h... for me that's GREAT! That leg was total redemption for the embarassment in the lake. and the run... well, i'm not a great runner (yet), but paced 7min13s per km... I've done worse than that on training runs, and now I did it after doing more consective physical exercise than i have EVER done in my life! My transitions rocked... even getting the wetsuit off for the first time! T1 in 1:58 and T2 in 57 sec.

So other than the massive fail on the swim (but despite that, just kept on going!), I'm actually really pleased at coming second to last in my age group! SO much to improve on and learn, and lots of experiences to come this year. The swim HAS to get fixed, if nothing else does in the next 6 weeks before Tri #2. Haven't written out my race report yet, but i'm about to finally settle in today with a glass of wine and grumble at the fact that my husband has to take the car out of town tomorrow and so I have to ride my bike to work.

Have a good night all! Thanks for all the encouragment so far!!
    2013-05-27 9:29 PM

User image

Veteran
    Cleburne, Texas
    Heck, that sounds EPIC! Good for you, Erica. Mental fortitude! If you can beat that then you've got it in the bag. Or at least you can work on putting it in the bag, lol. Swimming is the biggest issue for a lot of people and to do it in a wet suit for the first time in those conditions is really something! Much less getting out of the blasted thing in T1.

Congrats, you triathlete!
    2013-05-27 9:39 PM

User image

Veteran
    Cleburne, Texas
    I have a hard week coming up, my week starts on Wednesday, trying to get back into a groove. I have a 70 mile bike race coming up in two months to get ready for, Tour De Goatneck. I know, I'm behind the eight ball. I plan on still mixing some runs and swims in as well as strength training each week. Should be interesting to say the least. I hope y'all had a great weekend and Memorial Day, for those who had it.
    2013-05-28 7:52 AM

User image

Veteran
    Kitchener
    Wow, that's awesome! The race site says "rolling". Fortunately what goes up does eventually get to come down! But based on what you've said about your training before the storm, I think you're likely in better shape for this already than you're giving yourself credit for. I find when i'm out of my groove, two or three workouts and i'm back in. Give 'er! And stay cool

2013-05-28 2:02 PM

User image

Baton Rouge
    Congrats, Triathlete!!! I'm super impressed at your race and how well you handled the swim conditions/wet suit/panicking etc etc. I know you were concerned about the race day temps and thinking you weren't ready training wise, but you went out and did it! Way to geaux!
    2013-05-29 7:49 AM

User image

Veteran
    Kitchener
    Thanks Angie! Lots of lessons to bring forward, as well as a hearty helping of HTFU when the going gets tough on the run. The energy of the event was just awesome! And I don't want so many old people to beat me in July! lol. Seriously, how the heck do they do it?!?!?! So much admiration for so many people. There was a woman racing with a carbon fibre leg and she had matched her race kit to the pattern on the shell of the leg... She looked so amazing!

Question to bring forward... I'm now between races... my first training plan got me to this past weekend. The next race is in 6 weeks and the race after that is two months away. If I had to pick one, I'd say the Sept 1 race is my "A" race, but really i want to do well at both of them. Do i use my last training plan and just re-engineer it to finish off in 6 weeks from now, or do i just work an increase in volume block and a rest block and hope for the best? i do want to improve my run for the next race, so a bit more focus on that and I obviously need to improve my OWS performance... I think i've found a foul little body of water locally to practice OWS on my lunch hour... should I create some kind of custom plan, or piggy back on one of the existing plans on BT and just count back 6 weeks?

ahh, the options...

Hope everyone is training well! hope we haven't lost the entire group these days!
    -erica
    2013-05-30 3:11 PM

User image

Veteran
    Cleburne, Texas
    I'm assuming the races are all the same distance when I say this.

Yes, if you look at the BT training plan you can select when you plan ends and how many weeks back you would like to start it. A great tool!! There's also a few tools to help you calculate the weeks right there on the page. Careful you don't load a full plan because it overwrites anything you have already in place. Also, like you said, make sure you keep some endurance work in your plan. Most of the plans start focusing more on strength/speed in the last weeks.

If you're shooting for an Olympic distance then there are some other factors to take into account. Like, it's twice as far ;o)
    2013-05-31 7:33 AM

User image

Veteran
    Kitchener
    Ok, i'll do some playing around with dates this weekend and hopefully come up with a plan for the next training block. in the meantime, i'll be out for a run at lunch... its 'adaptation' time... we've gone from snow 2 weeks ago to a humidex in the 90s this week. i hate making the change from cold to hot... you feel like lead for a while!
    2013-05-31 10:50 AM

User image

Veteran
    Kitchener
    Wowsa... don't know how you Southerners do it! Today was our first real "HOT" day...
    Temperature: 79.3°F
    Dewpoint: 65.1°F
    Humidity: 61%
    Wind: SSW 15 gust 23 mph
    Humidex: 91

Gonna die. Sweat is just pouring down my back and I'm back in the air conditioned office. They say two weeks to get acclimatized, right? Figures... it's going to go back down to the mid 60s on Sunday and stay there for a while before July hits us with temps like these again... so the challenge for next race will be dealing with the heat on relatively little practice. The good news will be hopefully the water will be warm enough to not need a wetsuit! :D But just in case, i'm going to reserve one pre-emptively this time!

Work hard, all! I have to get my bike into the shop. The bottom bracket is squealing pretty bad. So running it is for a bit! This weekend will be getting my daughter back in the groove. She has her first Tri in two weeks. :D

Enjoy the weekend

2013-05-31 12:27 PM

User image

Veteran
    Cleburne, Texas
    Yeah, it can be tough. We're at 86*F, 70% humidity, and still have that freakin' 20-30 mph wind.

Nice little 45 minute recovery run from the long bike yesterday. Okay it was harder than a recovery run but that's was the initial plan! I have a three hour ride planned for tomorrow and my wife comes home last night informing me I'm cutting more trees out of a ladies house in the morning . Tomorrow will be a long day!

One note about the BT training plans. All of them I've seen start on Monday's. So if you load the plan and your calendar starts on Sunday your graphs might look a little off. This doesn't matter one hill of beans unless you're OCD like myself....

Mother and daughter triathlon, nice!
    2013-06-02 3:42 PM

User image

Veteran
    Kitchener
    URG... just spent the last two days laying sod in the rain. I think that takes care of my strengthening exercises for the summer!! SOOO sore. Hopefully the wind eases off this week a bit for a ride into work tomorrow. Still haven't managed to make a new training sked yet... hopefully can kick my husband off the computer for long enough tonight to work on it.
    2013-06-04 9:11 AM

User image

Veteran
    Kitchener
    Monkeying around with seat height... i've been feeling very 'compressed' with where it was. I'm feeling better in the hips today (still think it can go up another half-inch or so), but I don't think i got the saddle quite straight when I tightened it up last night. Bit of an awkward ride into work today... LOL!
    2013-06-04 10:05 AM
    in reply to: 0

User image

Veteran
    Cleburne, Texas
    Geez, it took me forever to get my saddle right! And I still question it at times. Good luck with that!

There's lots of YouTube vids on saddle adjustments. Check some out.

Edit: Come on down, I need some sod laid!

Edited by HelmoAlkou 2013-06-04 10:06 AM
    New Thread
    BT Development Mentor Program Archives » Jenny's Winter "Find What Drives You" Mentor Group - Open Rss Feed  

of 18