General Discussion Triathlon Talk » USAT ruling on live tracking during events Rss Feed  
Moderators: k9car363, alicefoeller Reply
2013-01-08 9:03 AM

User image

Veteran
Subject: USAT ruling on live tracking during events

I was reading DCRainmaker's review of the new Garmin Edge 810, http://www.dcrainmaker.com/2013/01/garmin-edge-810-in-depth-review....  and he sent a question to USAT Commissioner of Officials Charlie Crawford asking about 4 scenarios of communication by a triathlete during a race.

“1) Using a cell phone to provide one-way live tracking of a rider (i.e. location/speed/distance/HR/cadence/etc). Scenario: Cell phone sits in jersey or saddle bag and passively provides location info to family and friends.

2) Using a cell phone to provide two-way communications between an athlete and someone outside the race (i.e. text messaging/phone calls).  Scenario: Rider pulls out cell phone and texts/calls others.

3) Using a cell phone in conjunction with a bike computer on handlebar (i.e. a Garmin unit) to provide one-way live tracking of a rider.  Scenario: Rider has cell phone in jersey or saddle bag, which communicates wirelessly to their bike computer on handlebar. Communication is one way, transmitting position/athlete data from bike computer to phone to friends/family.  No inbound communications.

4) Using a cell phone in conjunction with a bike computer on handlebar to provide two-way communications (i.e. Coach could send message to rider to ‘rider harder’, without athlete having to touch cell phone, via bike computer on handlebar).  Scenario: Rider has cell phone in jersey or saddle bag, which communicates wirelessly to their bike computer on handlebar.  Rider is streaming ride data in real-time, and friends/family/coaches can communicate back to rider, which appear on screen in front of them (not on cell phone in saddle bag).”

Here was his response:

“The answer to questions 1-4 are all “Not Legal.”  We have made exceptions to the “carry” rule only to allow someone to make an emergency call while off the bike or not making forward progress on the run.  Modern smart-phones are also personal audio devices and are forbidden by Articles 3.4i, 5.8, and 6.3.” – Charlie Crawford, January 6th, 2013.

I realize "Ironman" WTC events (most long course events) have their own rules.

I get it and I agree 2 way communication should not be allowed (#2 and #4 above) (except emergencies of course).  But I disagree with #1 and #3 being "not legal", and I think it was lame of Charlie Crawford to hide behind "...personal audio devices" rules.

I believe the rules on location tracking, and even live uploading of performance data, during events should be revised, and I think will be revised as more and more people use this technology all the time. 

Triathlon, especially long course, is the world's worst spectator event.  Getting real time data on the athlete you're following can make it much more interesting. 

I could go a step further, what if this was required of all athletes?!  Remember it wasn't that long ago that timing chips on everyone was really high tech.  If all athletes were streaming pace, cadence, HR, etc. imagine the website for spectators where you could watch the 'horse race'!  That would be cool.

2013-01-08 2:29 PM
in reply to: #4567716

User image

Regular
Subject: RE: USAT ruling on live tracking during events
I agree with the safety concern on the audio but that can easily be a DQ if the music is heard or officials see headphones. Even two way communication is obvious on smart phones. I like the spectator angle on streaming cadence, power, pace, HR. I think at least those involved in the sport and those that understand it would learn so much from this and it would be fantastic to compare these stats real time against effort, fitness, etc in a live competitive arena. It adds a entertainment value needed to grow the sport. I mean with that info, you could even do fantasy leagues, etc. but I think I took that too far lmao! I sure would watch it but that's just me Would definitely make the commentary more interesting on broadcasted events like Kona.
2013-01-08 6:58 PM

User image

Champion
marietta

Ref:  Mr. Moats is that is that smart phone going to remain in your jersey or saddle bag to passively provide location info to family and friends.

Moats:  Of course!

Ref: Mr. Moats is that smart phone you are using in conjunction with your bike computer on your handlebar going to be used for one-way traffic only? And this is outbound signal only?

Moats: Of Course!

I don't think Charlie is hiding behind it.  He just doesn't have a way to enforce that those phones in 1 and 3 are not being used to cheat.  And as we know, this sport has a few losers found within the ranks that cheat.  So this is the route he's got to go.

10-4 its a horrible spectator sport.  Your location based ideas are right on!  I'd take it a step further and add spatial autocorrelation algorithms used to determine temporal period within bike separation to assist in the enforcement of drafting penalties.   

Second poster... variable time penalty.  not dq. 

Later!

2013-01-08 7:33 PM

User image

Champion
marietta

damn. i did it again.  thought of something else after the 30 minutes to edit a post..

bill you mentioned wtc events,  "i think" jimmy riccitello will stand behind the unauthorized equipment rule.  he specifically calls it out in all of his messages from the head ref.  and i'm pretty sure he spoke about just this over on st some time back.  so its not just charlie. 

bottom line, cheaters suck. 

ok... later!

2013-01-08 9:51 PM

User image

New user
Athens, GA

I remember reading basically the same ruling on the main forum last year: http://www.beginnertriathlete.com/discussion/forums/thread-view.asp?tid=447699&posts=10&start=1

I wonder if the review of the rule mentioned in that thread has taken place. Given the current language I can see how smartphones are prohibited, but I wonder how much thought they're giving to modernizing the rules.

Edited by paxsarah 2013-01-08 9:52 PM
2013-01-09 2:29 PM

User image

Champion
Atlanta, Ga

One of my friends is a USAT official and they cover this every year, so it does get reviewed. 

I agree with the ruling because people will use it in a wide variety of ways.  Music, texting, GPS, pictures, etc.  None of which needs to be done during a race. 

I even think it's crap that they let you have a cell phone period.  There are no "safety" concerns that require you to have a cell phone during a race.  Sprint or Ironman. 

What they tell the officials is this:  If you see the phone, it's a penalty.  Period. 

2013-01-09 10:29 PM

User image

Veteran

Several good points made above.  Good to hear that the officials are continuing to discuss this every year as technology is changing fast.  

In a few years you'll have a wristwatch which does everything, and more, than an iPhone (Dick Tracy watch), and they'll require us to run an app as our onboard referee - monitors space between cyclists, monitors for two way communications, etc.

The issue I still have, given our current technology, is I see nothing wrong with putting a device - SPOT GPS, iPhone w/ find friends, Strava, - in your seat bag to transmit location data to friends and family.  I get it that this is technically illegal.  I'm also realistic that this is very unlikely to be caught and penalized.  Purists against it call it 'cheating'.  Golfers for it call it 'winter rules'.  

Personally I'm ok with carrying a phone which transmits location and time (not actively using it, no music, no texts, etc.).  I don't see any advantage to me.  I would only do it as a benefit/entertainment for my friends and family.  I'm interpreting the rule, based on the spirit of the rule, as 'ok, as there is no direct benefit to the athlete'.  And I don't have an entourage - maybe one sherpa, maybe 2-3 online fans, on race day.

If I hired 100 people to line the course and post my location and time to a website as I passed, this would technically be allowed, right? (absurd, I know)

I appreciate your comments, for or against, as I'm thinking through this issue.

I still think it would be very cool to have an event and require everyone to carry a device running an app which uploads their location, time and HR.  You could replay the results, by age group, minute by minute, and see where you got beat, or where you moved up.

New Thread
General Discussion Triathlon Talk » USAT ruling on live tracking during events Rss Feed