General Discussion Triathlon Talk » Triathlons with or without socks? Rss Feed  
Moderators: k9car363, alicefoeller Reply

of 2

2013-02-08 11:13 AM
in reply to: #4613437

User image

Elite
N Carolina
Subject: RE: Triathlons with or without socks?

I race sockless at all distances including full IM.  I also ran my 1 and only open marathon sockless.  All without issues.

It is critical that you use a shoe that is designed to go sockless (Zoot, KSwiss, etc).  And practice in training.

I know you said you have a pair of Zoots.  I run in Zoots and only Zoots, and as mentioned before, I have no issues with these shoes (Zoot Ultra Kane).  I would be interested in which model you have because the original Zoot Ultra TT (I believe) caused rubbing on the back of the heel for many people and Zoot redesigned them rather quickly.

Back in November, I won my age group in a small race by 9 seconds.  With only 5 people in my age group, only the winner met the Top 10% criteria for qualifying for USAT Nationals.  So I qualified and am going to USAT Olympic Nationals in Milwaukee in August!!!!!!!!!!

2013-02-08 11:22 AM

User image

Master
Charlotte
Socks on in T2 always. Until I miss an AG award by 5 seconds, I will continue this.
2013-02-08 11:37 AM

Have done all my tri's without socks-Sprint to 70.3. Have also ran 2-hm and 1-full marathon without socks. Went sockless on the weekends(yardwork, lake time etc) in some old running shoes to get used to it.

I always race in Adidas Bostons--but dont think it matters which shoe you wear its about getting your feet used to it.

2013-02-08 11:58 AM
in reply to: #4614336

User image

Champion
Atlanta, Ga
Daffodil - 2013-02-08 11:11 AM
Marvarnett - 2013-02-08 10:19 AM

For the poster that said running sockless led to all these other issues, I find that highly doubtful.  You will get some blisters, that's it.  You take care of them and go about you way.  But is saving 3-5 seconds on your T-time worth not running for a couple of days? 

Ummm.... yeah it did.  The blisters were on the top of the feet (from the tongue) and by the time I was done running the 10 km they were already popped and bleeding.  I cleaned them regularly (at least twice a day), used polysporin (and then perscription strength topical antibiotics after 1 or 2 days) and a few days later, they still got infected.  The location that they were meant that they were continuously being iritated by shoes.  I had blood poisoning by thursday and the race was on Sunday.

My physiotherapist is the one that thinks the antibiotics with steroids were what caused the calf strain.  There is no other reason for it.  I was tapering, not increasing mileage and my run mileage was steady for the 2-3 months leading up the oly.  There is no way that it could have been an overuse injury.  The plantar fasciitis started the day of my first long run back from the calf strain.  I probably overdid it on that run and had an altered gait from the calf strain.  I was training for an IM and my coach and PT wanted me to get back to long runs quickly.

Please don't assume that you know more than other people, particularly the person that went through the experiance.  It is really off putting.

Again, the fact that you ran sockless and got blisters did NOT cause everything else.  The FACT that you did not do what was appropriate after the blisters is what caused the injury.

I don't assume I know more than others.  I assume that a blister does not lead to a calf strain when deal with appropriately.  You yourself stated the chain of events that led FROM the blister.  Not BECAUSE of the blister. 

Hence, running sockless did not cause anything other than a blister on top of your feet.

2013-02-08 1:42 PM
in reply to: #4614593

User image

Expert
Marvarnett - 2013-02-08 12:58 PM
Daffodil - 2013-02-08 11:11 AM
Marvarnett - 2013-02-08 10:19 AM

For the poster that said running sockless led to all these other issues, I find that highly doubtful.  You will get some blisters, that's it.  You take care of them and go about you way.  But is saving 3-5 seconds on your T-time worth not running for a couple of days? 

Ummm.... yeah it did.  The blisters were on the top of the feet (from the tongue) and by the time I was done running the 10 km they were already popped and bleeding.  I cleaned them regularly (at least twice a day), used polysporin (and then perscription strength topical antibiotics after 1 or 2 days) and a few days later, they still got infected.  The location that they were meant that they were continuously being iritated by shoes.  I had blood poisoning by thursday and the race was on Sunday.

My physiotherapist is the one that thinks the antibiotics with steroids were what caused the calf strain.  There is no other reason for it.  I was tapering, not increasing mileage and my run mileage was steady for the 2-3 months leading up the oly.  There is no way that it could have been an overuse injury.  The plantar fasciitis started the day of my first long run back from the calf strain.  I probably overdid it on that run and had an altered gait from the calf strain.  I was training for an IM and my coach and PT wanted me to get back to long runs quickly.

Please don't assume that you know more than other people, particularly the person that went through the experiance.  It is really off putting.

Again, the fact that you ran sockless and got blisters did NOT cause everything else.  The FACT that you did not do what was appropriate after the blisters is what caused the injury.

I don't assume I know more than others.  I assume that a blister does not lead to a calf strain when deal with appropriately.  You yourself stated the chain of events that led FROM the blister.  Not BECAUSE of the blister. 

Hence, running sockless did not cause anything other than a blister on top of your feet.

What should I have done differently?  started taking oral antibiotics right after the race?  taken a week off of work for blisters on the top of my feet so that I didn't have to wear shoes?  I did absolutely everything I was supposed to do and they still got infected because it was a type of bacteria couldn't be controlled by polysporin or the perscription topical antibiotic.

2013-02-08 2:50 PM
in reply to: #4614767

User image

Champion
Atlanta, Ga
Daffodil - 2013-02-08 2:42 PM

What should I have done differently?  started taking oral antibiotics right after the race?  taken a week off of work for blisters on the top of my feet so that I didn't have to wear shoes?  I did absolutely everything I was supposed to do and they still got infected because it was a type of bacteria couldn't be controlled by polysporin or the perscription topical antibiotic.

My personal and unpopular answer:  Stop training.  Work, obviously you can't do anything about.  It's a very difficult conversation that I have, luckily, only had to have once with an athlete. 

But in the end only YOU (obviously not me because I'm just a random person on the interwebs) can decide the best path.  But if it were me or one of my athletes given the information you put forth...stop pretty much all training that aggravates the issue. 

Note: I'm not a doctor nor did I stay at a Holiday Inn Express last night.

2013-02-08 4:08 PM

User image

Veteran
Chicago, Illinois
For those that *do* wear socks, are there recommended socks out there that are specifically designed for tri, to be quick in transition?
2013-02-08 4:41 PM

Wore socks and regular shoe laces my first year.  Started going sockless with elastic laces the second year.  Took a considerable amount of time off my transitions.  And all it cost was 6 bucks.

2013-02-08 4:44 PM
in reply to: #4615024

User image

Champion
Atlanta, Ga

jmholzman - 2013-02-08 5:08 PM For those that *do* wear socks, are there recommended socks out there that are specifically designed for tri, to be quick in transition?

I'm a big fan of Balega socks.  Mainly because they are seamless.  That's key because it doesn't matter if you put them on correctly.  They can be upside down and it won't matter.

A lot of other companies are also making seamless socks.  Swiftwick is one of them.

2013-02-08 5:20 PM

User image

I always wear socks.  I like Brooks (it's fun to see my name across the toes!).
2013-02-08 6:12 PM

User image

I go sockless up to an Oly.  After that and I start to get hot spots and it would get uncomfortable.

I would agree that going sockless only saves about 6-10 seconds depending on how fast you can put on socks.  But to me, in an sprint or Oly...6-10 seconds can be huge.  At the speeds I bike or run at for a race of that distance, 10 seconds is equivalent to ~350 feet on the bike, or ~125 feet on the run.  How many times have you sprinted to the finishing chute while seeing someone cross the line 100 or so feet in front of you?  Had you saved 10 seconds...you would have been in front.

Edited by tri808 2013-02-08 6:13 PM

2013-02-08 6:54 PM

User image

Extreme Veteran
Houston

sockless..........sprints thru IM

everybody has made good points on with or without. i think it comes down to whatever makes you comfortable.

good luck!

-jb

Edited by jasonwb 2013-02-08 6:54 PM
2013-02-08 7:27 PM
in reply to: #4613768

Enough time to keep one of the podium for sure. The shorter the race the more precious the seconds. T times are vital at all distances but for Sprints it will make or break the race. Sockless all the time, no question.
New Thread
General Discussion Triathlon Talk » Triathlons with or without socks? Rss Feed  

of 2