General Discussion Triathlon Talk » Think of backing out of first Half Ironman Rss Feed  
Moderators: k9car363, alicefoeller Reply

of 2

2013-02-12 1:09 AM

User image

Regular
Subject: Think of backing out of first Half Ironman

A couple of months ago I signed up for my first Half Ironman.  It's Barb's Race in the wine country in CA.  I admit that I didn't have loads of time to think it through, but at the time I figured that it would be a stretch, and would force me to really stay on top of my workouts.  Now, I'm thinking of backing out.  I'll explain why, and you can give me your honest opinion.

History:  I'm kind of a newbie.  Have been working out for only 1 1/2 years.  Have done 4 sprint races, a 10k, half marathon, and Tough Mudder in Tahoe.  I'm also Athena (barely), and a recent cancer survivor (did chemo, surgery, radiation for 7 months shortly before starting workout program).  The cancer thing is only relevant because my coach and I have figured out that my body doesn't recover as quickly as "normal".  Booo.

The problem:  Just after I signed up for the HIM, I got 3 back-to-back bugs - a couple of colds and a flu.  So my training went down the toilet over the holidays.  I've caught up to where I was, but now I only have 5 1/2 months to be ready for this thing.  And honestly, I think it's possible to do it if I stick to my very regimented workout schedule and really focus.  BUT the problem is that my life is not set up for that strict of a workout schedule.  Life happens.  Kid gets the flu, and I have to be home with her all week.  Best friend breaks up with boyfriend, and I need to be there for her.  Plantar fasciitis and shin splints decide to mess up my running.  Family comes to visit from Oregon, etc, etc, etc.  That's just how my life is, and now I'm not so sure that it's worth the level of hyper-focus required to get me to HIM level in that amount of time.  I started doing this for health and for fun, and lately I've turned into a cranky, stressed out monster if I'm forced to miss a workout because of family obligations.  I just don't feel like I want to put my family on the back burner for this.  Is that so crazy? 

But I DO want to continue my workouts at just a slightly scaled back pace and still do several races.  I've got a half marathon coming up next month, and an Olympic tri in June.  Those seem to be much more within my reach, but will still require consistent training.

Sooooo, hit me with it.  How lame would I be to back out? 

2013-02-12 1:21 AM
in reply to: #4618492

User image

Extreme Veteran
Subject: RE: Think of backing out of first Half Ironman
If it were me, I'd scale back the training and the time goals, but still do the race, especially if you're already a HM finisher.

It's all about priorities and motivation though.  If it's not worth it, don't do it.
2013-02-12 1:49 AM

User image

Elite
Hello you are me!!! Not had cancer though glad you're through that.Got my IM in less than six weeks and yes life has gotten in the way and quite often I let it....I'm undecided I've written the money off. I can probably scrape through with a bike focus for five weeks the run I will walk and the swim I can get through. Every day I change my mind. So I am sticking with the training best I can I will line up and do the swim that maybe all this time I will decide on the day! I think you will run the same gamut of emotions as I do! And it doesn't seem to get better.Giving myself permission to not do it eased the stress.
2013-02-12 2:50 AM

User image

Coach
Stairway to Seven
MoniqueGriffith - 2013-02-12 12:09 AM

And honestly, I think it's possible to do it if I stick to my very regimented workout schedule and really focus.

What do you mean exactly by "do it"?
Just finish?
Do you have a goal time in mind?

How do you want to feel after you cross the finish line? How do you want to feel every day before/during/after training?
2013-02-12 5:29 AM

User image

A HIM to finish is still doable.  You can take a piece-meal approach to the swim, switching strokes & resting.  The bike section is long, but you have 20 gears to choose from.  You'd be surprised how many folks walk the half marathon, especially if it's hot.  Also, you've already dropped the coin, so you have 5 months of training to decide if you actually want to do the thing.

Sounds like it's the training that is getting you down, so consider re-evaluating the training.  Post up your schedule & what about it isn't working, and see what comes back.

2013-02-12 5:34 AM

User image

Extreme Veteran
Sterling
Personally if I were you I would stick with it. Maybe just back off training for a week or so and just let your' body and mind recover for a bit. Glad to hear you are a cancer survivor! A lot of the other stuff you are posting about that takes up time is something ALL of us go through.

2013-02-12 6:14 AM

User image

Expert
Oklahoma
I say do the race. 5 1/2 months is a long time to train. Just go into training with the mind set that your goal is to finish.
2013-02-12 6:33 AM

User image

Expert

I'd say be kind to yourself and do what you feel good about.

I like what Jobaxas said about giving  yourself permision to decide when you are done.

I've been training religiously for a race next month that I feel was kind of out reach for myself. And if I get to a point in the race where my body feels really bad, I'll call it a day.

But I am going to try. :=)

2013-02-12 6:39 AM

User image

Veteran
Greenville, SC

don't back out....you WILL regret it.  As already said, 5 1/2 months is plenty of time to get ready and actually can lend itself even better to your situation with time. 

Don't worry about getting a blistering fast time or finishing in a certain pack or whatever...just get out there and do it!  Just go out there with the goal of having fun, and enjoying yourself.  I always say that in my long distance races if I do not finish the race with a smile on my face it was not a good race no matter what my time was.

You being a cancer survior, you will find out that a HIM is a cake walk.  You have been through more hell than any race could be...you did not quite there...don't quite the race either.

2013-02-12 7:17 AM

Subject: ...
This user's post has been ignored.
2013-02-12 7:40 AM

Veteran

5 1/2 months is still a long ways away - meaning you have plenty of time to train but also you have plenty of time to decide if you want to drop out (unless you could get your money back now). But why not put off that decision and just see how training goes?

I was already sick twice this year and each time I get sick, I get down in the dumps and since i can't train, talk myself out of my upcoming races. Injuries have this effect as well. As soon as I get back into my routine, I'm excited about my races again. Sometimes I go through phases where i'm "not feeling it" and take a week of easy running and yoga.

Take the pressure off of yourself. Tell yourself if you're 2 weeks out and don't feel like doing it then you won't. Avoid setting time goals. You can even go and do the swim and if you don't feel like biking then don't.

As for your question, you're not lame at all if you back out. We do this for fun, why should anyone judge you? We all have to make a decision as to what is best for us and our families.

2013-02-12 7:46 AM

Subject: ...
This user's post has been ignored.
2013-02-12 7:51 AM

Master
Falls Church, VA

My take is that is that triathlon is something we do for fun. 

If you have other things going on in your life right now that are more important, then do them. Triathlon is not going anywhere.

You can do another HIM when you have time to focus on it and fully prepare.  why should you feel pressured to complete something that is supposed to be fun?

2013-02-12 7:57 AM

Extreme Veteran

Monique, life gets in the way of triathlons.  Or does triathlons get in the way of life?  You really need to go back and find that balance when you started doing this for health and fun.  You better not put your family on the backburner.  You and your family know each other better than the people of Beginner Triathlete.  Talk to them about it.

I say hang in there; however, scale it back.  5.5 months is plenty of time to get ready for HIM.  Compete to complete.  With all you are going\went through, it will make the finish even sweeter.

Good luck!

Edited by GAUG3 2013-02-12 7:58 AM
2013-02-12 8:10 AM

You are going to hear a lot of DO IT on this blog, and understandably so. No one gets into this sport without that kind of attitude -- it's a lot of what drives us, that attitude. But that said, I would step back a bit and look at the big picture: you've been into the running/triahtlon mode now for 18 months, and you do have some foundation under you. But, it appears that you are still going through some adaptation to the stresses, as evidenced by the colds (a sure sign of effort/stress), and I don't see any olympic distance triathlons on your resume. Not being facetious about this, that would be the next logical step for you in this sport....particularly with your medical history, you would really want to respect the building-block approach to pushing yourself to the edge, and undoubtedly, if you are going to do a HIM with any pretense of finishing under a set time, rather than just surviving it, you are going to have to put in some serious workouts that by themselves, will sometimes feel like a race. I know that we are all out here on the internet throwing advice around, which has its risks, but from what I'm reading, I'm thinking that you are safely ONE YEAR away, (which might translate into 3-4 Olympic Distance tris, and lot of mileage/time in training) from being able to enter an HIM with a set goal, that can be accomplished. And the bottom line to all of this is....WHY PUSH IT? A lot of triathletes leave this sport due to injury, or mental burnout. You wont read about this much on this website, because the burnouts leave - they stop contributing to the blog. I've been in the sport now for 4 years, after a lifetime of road racing (Im 53) and in that limited amount of time, I've seen people coming and going, or getting hurt. I fall into the latter category (another story for another day). But for where you are right now, with your life situation, if you made it a goal to focus on 1) getting into the Olympic Distance first, 2 ) excelling at the distance, 3) expanding your base safely, and learning all the little nuances that make the HIM a totally different animal, IN TRAINING, then I think that you would be happier entering into your first HIM, because you would know that 1) you had the foundation, and 2) you earned it.
2013-02-12 8:11 AM

Olathe, KS

I did my first HIM last June.  I didn't have the health concerns that you do, but I certainly had the family obligations.  I started training for the race around the first of the year.  My son had just turned 2 and my daughter was 4 months old.  It was a zoo around our house, I wasn't getting very much sleep and I missed a LOT of workouts.  

I went into the race under trained.  I remember walking from my car to transition on race morning thinking "WTF am I doing here?  I'm not ready for this".  But I finished.  

I'm glad I did the race.  In the interest of full disclosure, though, I started working with a coach after that race and he said he would have advised me waiting a year to do a HIM.  You mentioned you have a coach.  What do they think about this?  Remember, you pay them for an objective opinion, you might as well listen to it.

2013-02-12 8:36 AM

New user

Annapolis

There are many who have replied that you can back out due to life and not feel bad.  This reply is not like those, and it may sting.

Get off your a__, stop whining and start training.  (Sorry, I told you it would sting)

Life is never set up to train for a tri.  You already know that.  You were dealt a crappy hand and you overcame cancer.  That makes you tougher than 90% of the people on this forum.  Now step up and quit looking for people to justify you're dropping the race.  Who do you want to be?  The person that overcame the odds and finished a half?  Or the person that dropped out because life is too busy?  

2013-02-12 8:44 AM

NC

Skip it.  As mentioned, nothing magical about going long.  Based on what your wrote, there seems to be no upside for you on your current path.  It would be more lame to put your family on the backburner and have them suffer a cranky, stressed out monster.

Congrats on beating cancer.

2013-02-12 8:44 AM

Veteran
asheville, nc

You have plenty of time to train.  Most HIM training plans are about 20 weeks so you're right at the start of that with 5 1/2 months.  But you do have to be fairly consistent with your training. I would highly suggest getting a morning workout in every day.  It guarantees you that you'll get at least one solid workout in every day.  things happen in the evening, as you alluded to, and it's very easy to let workouts slip away.  If you wake up early enough it's possible to get two workouts in before work.  That's tough, but doable. You'll have to commit to getting in your long bike/long run in on saturday and sunday mornings. I'd also try to get those in early as well freeing up the rest of your day.  

It's more than possible if you really want to do it. Tone is hard to get through the internet, but I took from your message that you may be looking for a way out.  If that's the case than don't do it. You won't enjoy yourself at all. Training is very mentally draining, more so than physically, and if its not something you really want to do, you'll be miserable. 

First thing I'd do is look in the mirror and decide if the HIM is really something you want to do, or are making yourself do because you paid for it and you've already told people and feel they have expectations now.  This is supposed to be about fun for 99% of us, if you're not going to enjoy it then don't.  Try an olympic distance instead and then decide if you want to go for more.   

2013-02-12 8:53 AM

Pro

If you can find 10 hours a week.....4 of them on one of the weekend days, you can easily get yourself ready in 5 1/2 months. 

Still...if you don't want to do it, don't do it.....but do something else.  The only time you screw up is if your quit doing SOMETHING physical.  I'm sure you already know that.

I don't know anything about your family make-up....ages, etc.....but my family is immersed in triathlon/training (except for one kid who is a team sport and horse kid....we don't mind because it gives us someone to ridicule).  If you make it a family experience it will open up all kinds of time for you to train because you'll be together and nobody feels left out or cheated out of anything.

2013-02-12 9:03 AM

Not a Coach
Media, PA

Not at all lame.

If you feel as if you are a "cranky, stressed out monster", odds are you are not really having fun (and it might not be "healthy" either).  You need to find the balance that works for you and your family.  Maybe that includes the HIM.  Maybe not.  There's no reason to feel lame about backing out of something like that, though.  There are plenty of other ways to have fun, stay healthy and challenge yourself while keeping the 'balance' that you need in your life right now.

2013-02-12 10:00 AM

Minneapolis
There's a lot of good perspective here. I do agree with the person who said you don't have to decide now. If you approach the next few months knowing that you can still back out, it might take some of the pressure off. Your training habits and training will tell you as you get closer if you're ready. How's your swim? If that distance is comfortable for you I think you have the background to do this. Good luck!
2013-02-12 10:47 AM

Veteran
Panama City, FL

IF, IF IF, you still want to do it, 5.5 months is a long time and you could do it given your experiences in other events.

BUT, if you want to slow down, have less stress, then perhaps shorter races/less training is right for you. But 5 months is a good length of time to build base and train etc.

good luck!

2013-02-12 12:50 PM

Pro

5-1/2 months is a large amount of training time.  You can certainly get there if you want to.

For you, the questions are:  1.  do you have the time to exercise 7-12 hours a week, and 2.  do you enjoy it, or at least will the goal be worth it to you?

There's no reason to back out yet.  Unless you just don't want to do it.

2013-02-12 1:28 PM

Regular

Wow, that's a lot of incredible insight and advice, and I really appreciate it.

For the record, I do not have a time goal.  My goal is to finish AND still be able to walk on my own afterward.  (That little tidbit became a necessary addition after finishing my first 10k a year ago, then being on crutches for a week, lol.)  And yes, I'd like to actually enjoy the race.

Current fitness level:  I'm very comfortable with swimming - it's probably my strongest of the 3 disciplines.  So the 1.2 mile swim doesn't scare me at all.  No biggie.  Biking is what I'm most worried about.  I've only gotten back on my bike in the last couple of weeks, and have done a couple of 25 mile rides.  The longest ride I've ever done was 45 miles, and my legs were so wobbly afterward!  Plus this HIM course has some rolling hills and one big hill at mile 40.  Yikes.  I'm terrified of hills because I'm not so good at them.  Yes, I know - that means I need to do them more.  As for running, right now I'm comfy with upto about a 7 mile run, but am working on that.  I know that I could run/walk the 13.1 if needed. I've been putting in about 5-8 hours of training per week, and my coach says we'll be increasing that to around 8-13 hours per week.  Again, yikes.

So it's mainly the bike that's a problem.  I need to get back to the point where I like my bike again.  I have a crappy wind trainer that sticks in spots, so it's annoying to ride indoors.  And I'm still figuring out ways not to freeze while riding outdoors.  I'll get there.  And it'll start warming up around here too, which will make all of my training more pleasant.

For now, I think it would be wise of me to give myself the next 3-4 months to train and then see where I'm at before I make a decision.  But I am going to give myself permission to bail on the race if I honestly feel I'm not ready to complete it safely.  My friends and I are actually signed up for an Olympic Race on June 2nd on essentially the same course as the HIM will be.  So that's our practice for the HIM.  Perhaps I'll wait til after that race to make my decision.

Thanks, everyone!!

New Thread
General Discussion Triathlon Talk » Think of backing out of first Half Ironman Rss Feed  

of 2