General Discussion Triathlon Talk » Think of backing out of first Half Ironman Rss Feed  
Moderators: k9car363, alicefoeller Reply

of 2

2013-02-12 1:31 PM
in reply to: #4618492

User image

Master
Kailua, Hawaii
Subject: RE: Think of backing out of first Half Ironman

congrats on being a cancer survivor! you're a tough person!

I'd say listen to your gut feel. There's no shame in changing plans. No one is judging you or watching you to "race" these events, except yourself ....really.

So if you feel you have to prove to yourself to tough out this HIM, do it!!! you can....but it comes down to what you really want.

There are lots of races to do out there, do what benefits you the most.

2013-02-12 1:47 PM

New user

Essex, CT

Do it. Last summer I did my first. Originally, I backed out a few weeks prior (actually formally withdrew)because I didn't feel ready...training and nutrition was way off because we had moved and it was hard to maintain a strict regimine when you're living out of boxes. I didn't want to push through it because I am injury prone. Once it settled in for me that I was actually withdrawn I got a little depressed. I called the race director up and asked to be let back in, which they agreed to. I went to the race unprepared, but looking at it as a learning experience so I would know what to do for my next one. I aimed just to finish. I finished in 6 and a half hours and was very pleased with my time. And there's something to be said for doing a race for the fun of it...when the pressure is off you enjoy the scenery, crowds and experience so much more.

Go for it and enjoy the expereince!

2013-02-12 2:02 PM

User image

Master
Grand Prairie

My (maybe harsh) two cents,

a HIM or IM is difficult because of the time commitment for training of it.

The challenge is to make training and life work and often put private life on a back-burner.

I think the question is not should you back out or not, but what is more important to you?

Personally I think long and hard before I make a commitment, but then once I have done so I will stick to it to the best of my abilities. This means when I signed up for my 50k and put a 20 week plan together that I was not going to miss one mile. When I signed up for my HIM I knew I might have to put other things on the back-burner...

So it seems you either did not think your HIM race all the way through, or you underestimated the time commitment. Either way you NOW need to re-evaluate what it means to race a HIM.

2013-02-12 2:28 PM
in reply to: #4619336

User image

Veteran
Chicago, Illinois
MoniqueGriffith - 2013-02-12 11:28 AM

For now, I think it would be wise of me to give myself the next 3-4 months to train and then see where I'm at before I make a decision.  But I am going to give myself permission to bail on the race if I honestly feel I'm not ready to complete it safely.  My friends and I are actually signed up for an Olympic Race on June 2nd on essentially the same course as the HIM will be.  So that's our practice for the HIM.  Perhaps I'll wait til after that race to make my decision.

Excellent decision.  In the end, only you can make it.  If you make it now, you don't give yourself the opportunity to make a more informed decision later on.  Now you can look at it with a keener eye as it gets closer and still have the chance to go either way with it.  Although unless your goal is podium or bust (which you've said it's not) I will be surprised if as it gets closer and you are still training you decide to back out. 
2013-02-12 2:41 PM
in reply to: #4619336

User image

Elite
MoniqueGriffith - 2013-02-13 6:28 AM

Wow, that's a lot of incredible insight and advice, and I really appreciate it.

For the record, I do not have a time goal.  My goal is to finish AND still be able to walk on my own afterward.  (That little tidbit became a necessary addition after finishing my first 10k a year ago, then being on crutches for a week, lol.)  And yes, I'd like to actually enjoy the race.

Current fitness level:  I'm very comfortable with swimming - it's probably my strongest of the 3 disciplines.  So the 1.2 mile swim doesn't scare me at all.  No biggie.  Biking is what I'm most worried about.  I've only gotten back on my bike in the last couple of weeks, and have done a couple of 25 mile rides.  The longest ride I've ever done was 45 miles, and my legs were so wobbly afterward!  Plus this HIM course has some rolling hills and one big hill at mile 40.  Yikes.  I'm terrified of hills because I'm not so good at them.  Yes, I know - that means I need to do them more.  As for running, right now I'm comfy with upto about a 7 mile run, but am working on that.  I know that I could run/walk the 13.1 if needed. I've been putting in about 5-8 hours of training per week, and my coach says we'll be increasing that to around 8-13 hours per week.  Again, yikes.

So it's mainly the bike that's a problem.  I need to get back to the point where I like my bike again.  I have a crappy wind trainer that sticks in spots, so it's annoying to ride indoors.  And I'm still figuring out ways not to freeze while riding outdoors.  I'll get there.  And it'll start warming up around here too, which will make all of my training more pleasant.

For now, I think it would be wise of me to give myself the next 3-4 months to train and then see where I'm at before I make a decision.  But I am going to give myself permission to bail on the race if I honestly feel I'm not ready to complete it safely.  My friends and I are actually signed up for an Olympic Race on June 2nd on essentially the same course as the HIM will be.  So that's our practice for the HIM.  Perhaps I'll wait til after that race to make my decision.

Thanks, everyone!!

. I hope we all helped its your decision ultimately and I know I posted when I wanted to back out of IM I got similar responses HTFU or it's ok to back out! Only you can make the decision - triathlon isn't going anywhere you can get back into it. My daughter won't be 7 again I don't wanna miss a moment so I have to sacrifice sleep to get training in. Good luck on your decision your race if you do it and your survival the most important race you'll ever do! Keep us posted on how it turns out. For what it's worth I'm starting my IM I'm gonna do the swim maybe I will do the bike I'm not sure but I will train like I'm gonna!!!
2013-02-12 6:22 PM

User image

Elite

I read every post in this thread...great advice on both sides of the fence.  My advice is straddlin'...if the family is willing to support you through the process, and you really want to do it, how can ya not go for it?  If it's a net negative though, don't do it.

Good luck!

btw, the next time your best friend breaks up with her boyfriend, be there for her...just take her to the gym and talk to her as you're both getting in an hour on the exercise bike!  The endorphins will do you both good!!!    Where there's a will, there's a way.

2013-02-12 7:09 PM

5.5 months is def enough to put up a really good personal showing for a HIM without devoting your life to it. 

It's ok to bail if you think the training in general is more than you'd like to commit to, but I think it would be a mistake to bail because you lost a month due to colds.

I hit 4 separate colds (for real!) in Nov-Dec that cumulatively wrecked my workout plan. I'm still getting back to form, but I'll be fine in less than 6 weeks total.

2013-02-12 7:35 PM

Family, faith, and being true to yourself defines most of us.  Take a step back, re-evaluate, and give yourself the opportunity to make a decision that feels right for you.  As a guy, I figured out even women I don't know don't want us to fix anything, just listen.  Your history as a survivor trumps any IM, whether you ever race or not.  There's no wrong decision here in my opinion.
2013-02-12 8:13 PM

User image

Champion
Calgary

5.5 months is tons of time to train for a HIM and have fun with the training and have fun at the race.

If you are looking for permission to scrap it, then look to yourself.  Your health and sanity are usually worth more than any race you can do.

2013-02-12 8:23 PM
in reply to: #4619930

User image

Elite
BigDH - 2013-02-13 1:13 PM

5.5 months is tons of time to train for a HIM and have fun with the training and have fun at the race.

If you are looking for permission to scrap it, then look to yourself.  Your health and sanity are usually worth more than any race you can do.

Well put.  That's where I am in my thinking.

2013-02-12 11:08 PM
in reply to: #4619817

User image

Regular
ChineseDemocracy - 2013-02-12 4:22 PM

I read every post in this thread...great advice on both sides of the fence.  My advice is straddlin'...if the family is willing to support you through the process, and you really want to do it, how can ya not go for it?  If it's a net negative though, don't do it.

Good luck!

btw, the next time your best friend breaks up with her boyfriend, be there for her...just take her to the gym and talk to her as you're both getting in an hour on the exercise bike!  The endorphins will do you both good!!!    Where there's a will, there's a way.

Funny you mention this because this best friend is my training partner, so we have been going on long walks/runs and talking through things.  Killing 2 birds with 1 stone is always good!  Only trouble is she keeps feeling like she's going to vomit, so we have to take it kind of easy for now.

Edited by MoniqueGriffith 2013-02-12 11:08 PM

2013-02-13 6:25 AM
in reply to: #4618496

User image

Veteran
austin, Texas

jobaxas - 2013-02-12 6:49 PM Hello you are me!!! Not had cancer though glad you're through that.Got my IM in less than six weeks and yes life has gotten in the way and quite often I let it....I'm undecided I've written the money off. I can probably scrape through with a bike focus for five weeks the run I will walk and the swim I can get through. Every day I change my mind. So I am sticking with the training best I can I will line up and do the swim that maybe all this time I will decide on the day! I think you will run the same gamut of emotions as I do! And it doesn't seem to get better.Giving myself permission to not do it eased the stress.

I'm stealing the thread - Jo you have to do it.  No matter how you finish, it feels pretttttttttttty cool to hear Mike Reilly scream your name as you cross the finish line.  

To the OP - do you want to do the race?  If you want to do the race, you'll find ways to train when life allows it.  If you don't want to do it, there's no shame in backing out until things slow down for you a bit.   You may not go as fast as you could with a full 5.5 months of training, but you've already paid for it - why not make it your longest training day and have a blast on the course with people cheering you on?  

2013-02-13 7:00 AM
in reply to: #4618494

User image

Veteran

dfquigley - 2013-02-12 8:21 AM If it were me, I'd scale back the training and the time goals, but still do the race, especially if you're already a HM finisher.

It's all about priorities and motivation though.  If it's not worth it, don't do it.

Same here. If it makes pressure on you, not a wise choice.

If it fulfills you, do your best. After all, you always race against yourself. You'll have an experience to build on.

New Thread
General Discussion Triathlon Talk » Think of backing out of first Half Ironman Rss Feed  

of 2