Other Resources My Cup of Joe » Survivor Caramoan (will be spoilers) Rss Feed  
Moderators: k9car363, the bear, DerekL, alicefoeller Reply

of 18

2013-05-13 12:49 PM
in reply to: #4620847

User image

Master
Livonia, MI
Subject: RE: Survivor Caramoan (will be spoilers)

FYI, since I was wondering the same about the pregnant gal and really had no idea how this worked with the time between the season end and the the live finale......

.....quick google search shows the show ended taping in June 2012.

2013-05-13 1:07 PM

User image

Bronze member
What is it about Dawn that irritates people so much? Just being so emotional? For me Dawn was just kind of there, I didn't dislike her or love her either one.
2013-05-13 1:57 PM
in reply to: #4740129

User image

Elite

trigal38 - 2013-05-13 12:07 PM What is it about Dawn that irritates people so much? Just being so emotional? For me Dawn was just kind of there, I didn't dislike her or love her either one.

Well, like some of the contestants said, she came off as phony. And yes she did seem phony.

If a person was really emotional, then showed that emotion under really stressful circumstances... I think most would understand and try to help them. But on Survivor... you have a near mental breakdown every day? You want to quit... I mean it isn't like this was a surprise to her, this was her second time around. She is not cut out for the show. I have no idea why she wanted to go back. So that part of it was really annoying for me to watch, and I'm sure it was really annoying to be around on the show.

Edited by powerman 2013-05-13 2:03 PM
2013-05-13 2:08 PM
in reply to: #4740085

User image

Elite
noelle1230 - 2013-05-13 11:49 AM

FYI, since I was wondering the same about the pregnant gal and really had no idea how this worked with the time between the season end and the the live finale......

.....quick google search shows the show ended taping in June 2012.

Thanks. Plenty of time.

2013-05-13 2:58 PM
in reply to: #4740129

Master
Memphis, TN

trigal38 - 2013-05-13 1:07 PM What is it about Dawn that irritates people so much? Just being so emotional? For me Dawn was just kind of there, I didn't dislike her or love her either one.

I think it was the emotional aspect of her at camp.  Just to much.  However, when it came time to vote she was good at taking the emotion out of that and  I think that turned off the jury.  Also she never owned her game play she was almost apologizing for voting people out.  It's a game and only one can win just own it like Cochran did. 

The vote for Brenda was kind of low after what Brenda did for her but Brenda was a huge threat I think the timing is what turned everyone against her.  Then again, Brenda was pretty good at challenges so better get her out quick. 

I feel bad that people have been cyber bullying Dawn but she just wasn't my favorite player.  When Philip was there every piece of info she got she tattled to him.  That's not playing a game of your own that's just being Phillips informant.  If she had kept some of the information I would have respected that game play more.  It's hard to tell from editing but that is how I saw it.

2013-05-13 3:08 PM
in reply to: #4740047

User image

Expert
Westchester, NY

Maybe I missed it, but did they even MENTION Brandon and his melt down?  Was he there?

2013-05-13 3:15 PM
in reply to: #4740393

User image

Sensei
Sin City
Fatdoggy - 2013-05-13 1:08 PM

Maybe I missed it, but did they even MENTION Brandon and his melt down?  Was he there?

I though the cast looked thin for supposedly 20 people. Must have been just the jury on stage?

Francesca wasn't asked about being voted off first TWICE.  The other "hot" girl was in the audience...

I think I like the old format with all 20 up there and ask each a question.  Talking to OLD contestants and some random girl seemed pointless and I skipped all of that.

2013-05-13 3:22 PM
in reply to: #4740393

User image

Elite
Fatdoggy - 2013-05-13 2:08 PM

HOLY CRAP... DUH... I totally forgot... they didn't talk to anyone not on the jury... that is weird in itself... but to not go over BRANDON. Wow, I can't believe I forgot that.

2013-05-13 3:31 PM

User image

Master
Delafield, Wisconsin

Observations:

Glad Cochran won, seems well deserved.  Like all seasons, skill in playing the game and a little bit of luck get you to the end.  Once he got there I knew it was going to be no-contest. 

I think if Eddie got to final he would have gotten some votes, but still I don't think he would have beat Cochran.

I'm ok with the Teeth 'call out' by Brenda.  Dawn didn't have to pull them out.  She could have just admitted that it was a big deal (which it clearly was to her.)

Now Some observations about observations.

People are so sure they 'know' these people.  I mean I was no fan of Dawn and glad she didn't win, but I would not begin to profess what she is like in real life.  Cyber attacking her is really not cool.  (although what she did to Brenda was pretty low-down) and speaking of Brenda, even here the attacks come quickly.  From one episode, she is now a mean hussie who endangered her unborn child by playing survivor while pregnant. Except, upon further review, she is engaged and the show filmed 11 months ago. 

I guess when you sign up for a show like this, it comes with the territory, but it would be nice if people understood that the producers help create characters, that may be different from reality.  Although I'm pretty sure that Brandon is really crazy.  

2013-05-13 3:32 PM
in reply to: #4740360

User image

Elite
Jtiger - 2013-05-13 1:58 PM

I think it was the emotional aspect of her at camp.  Just to much.  However, when it came time to vote she was good at taking the emotion out of that and  I think that turned off the jury.  Also she never owned her game play she was almost apologizing for voting people out.  It's a game and only one can win just own it like Cochran did. 

Ya, because her first game she was having a mental melt down after every vote because it just tore her up. But this time, she was all smiley and nice and that, but not all mental over the vote, just mental over her own personal stuff.

I feel bad that people have been cyber bullying Dawn but she just wasn't my favorite player.  When Philip was there every piece of info she got she tattled to him.  That's not playing a game of your own that's just being Phillips informant.  If she had kept some of the information I would have respected that game play more.  It's hard to tell from editing but that is how I saw it.

And ya, the snitching... she kept saying in the game her mistake last time was not playing and using info and being in charge of her game... but she wasn't in charge of her game and making decisions... she was just telling Phillip and Cochran what she new and going along with what they wanted.

In all fairness, she is probably really nice in person. And that naturally comes out around people. But she was trying to be all cut throat, and she is not good at it. So she just looks really inconsistent and mental. She probably is a good person to know in real life... but she just is not cut out for the game. I understand wanting to win a million bucks... but that is not your game Dawn.

But it is a TV show, and I am a viewer, and it is entertainment... and she was not entertaining... she was annoying to me. But talking trash to her on social media... give me a break.

2013-05-13 3:38 PM
in reply to: #4740425

User image

Bronze member
powerman - 2013-05-13 3:22 PM
Fatdoggy - 2013-05-13 2:08 PM

HOLY CRAP... DUH... I totally forgot... they didn't talk to anyone not on the jury... that is weird in itself... but to not go over BRANDON. Wow, I can't believe I forgot that.

Agree!

2013-05-13 3:44 PM
in reply to: #4740446

User image

Sensei
Sin City
jmwebs - 2013-05-13 1:31 PM

Observations:

Glad Cochran won, seems well deserved.  Like all seasons, skill in playing the game and a little bit of luck get you to the end.  Once he got there I knew it was going to be no-contest. 

I think if Eddie got to final he would have gotten some votes, but still I don't think he would have beat Cochran.

I'm ok with the Teeth 'call out' by Brenda.  Dawn didn't have to pull them out.  She could have just admitted that it was a big deal (which it clearly was to her.)

People are so sure they 'know' these people.  I mean I was no fan of Dawn and glad she didn't win, but I would not begin to profess what she is like in real life.  Cyber attacking her is really not cool.  (although what she did to Brenda was pretty low-down) and speaking of Brenda, even here the attacks come quickly.  From one episode, she is now a mean hussie who endangered her unborn child by playing survivor while pregnant. Except, upon further review, she is engaged and the show filmed 11 months ago. 

I guess when you sign up for a show like this, it comes with the territory, but it would be nice if people understood that the producers help create characters, that may be different from reality.  Although I'm pretty sure that Brandon is really crazy.  

Weird, I went back and skimmed the posts and the only person to call her a mean hussy who endangered her kid was you.  NO ONE made anywhere close to those accusations.

There were comments on her move to make Dawn do something she KNEW was embarrassing and humiliating to prove some point.  That does seem mean to me.  Even if I asked and she said "no", I would rest my case and not keep going on and on about it.

People wondered about the timing and IF she could have been pregnant during the show - which could have brought up some questions.  No one was calling her names or accusing her of endangerment.

Maybe people jump to conclusions based on 60 minutes a week of edited video footage.  But the same might be said about internet posts?

2013-05-13 3:48 PM
in reply to: #4740479

User image

Sensei
Sin City

SOOOOOOO  next season...

I "think" there may be some twists that I/we discussed in this thread.  Blood and water?  I'm thinking family members in some way?

I keep waiting for the show to jump the shark and tell us this is their last season.  But I guess I'm still interested.  I would still love to play...  But stopped trying to audition.  I should look up my acquaintance that has connections with Mark Burnett.  It's a long shot, but JUST MAYBE...

Edited by Kido 2013-05-13 4:03 PM
2013-05-13 3:58 PM
in reply to: #4740488

User image

Elite
Kido - 2013-05-13 2:48 PM

SOOOOOOO  next season...

I "think" there may be some twists that I/we discussed in this thread.  Blood and water?  I'm thinking family members in some way?

I keep waiting for the show to jump the shark and tell us this is their last season.  But I guess I'm still interesting.  I would still love to play...  But stopped trying to audition.  I should look up my acquaintance that has connections with Mark Burnett.  It's a long shot, but JUST MAYBE...

I know a guy that babysat Jeff Probst... maybe I could get you in touch.

Dude, I would love to play. I have thought about auditioning. Maybe I could cash in on my spinal AVM. Laughing

2013-05-13 4:14 PM

User image

Elite
2013-05-13 4:19 PM

User image

Master
Delafield, Wisconsin
Kido - 2013-05-13 3:44 PM

Maybe people jump to conclusions based on 60 minutes a week of edited video footage.  But the same might be said about internet posts?

Ok, you got me. I may have slightly jumped to a conclusion about people's opinion on the subject.

Now, I agree with you about next season, I see something going on with relatives.  Maybe Russell and Brandon will being coming back and teaming up...

Or not.

Edited by jmwebs 2013-05-13 4:21 PM

2013-05-13 4:19 PM
in reply to: #4739256

User image

Champion
Evergreen, Colorado

Meljoypip - 2013-05-13 5:29 AM Also, we had never seen an advantage given for the final immunity challenge and kind of felt that was set up to help Cochrine (sp?) out with the physical part of the final challenge. I did not like it.BUT loved Eddie's "yeah!"” When He got one piece. He really grew on me the last episode.

Last season Malcolm had an advantage at the final immunity challenge.  He was allowed to drop his pieces once and start over at any point without penalty.  So, this isn't the first time.

I suspect that the "decision tree" had something about how many people left...too many people left?  Immunity.  Right number?  Reward challenge.

And the advantage did not help cochran with the physical part...it helped him with untying knots which is really not considered physical....

2013-05-13 4:48 PM
in reply to: #4740560

User image

Sensei
Sin City

When Eric was pulled, it basically sealed the game up for Cochran.  I'm not sure how it plays out if he is still around.

Eddie was playing with house money for about a month, so his joy of just playing the game was in stark contrast to Dawn's paranoia and stability issues.

As I mentioned above, Cochran's responses were spot on.  When Malcom asked "what do you have that I don't" - his response was an increased sense of paranoia or insecurity (along those lines).  Perfect.  What that REALLY means is "I was not as cocky as you" or "I was more humble/less arrogant" - which you can't say.

P.S. Malcom, you have luscious locks of hair, but the constant playing with it during the reunion?  Relax man.

Edited by Kido 2013-05-13 4:49 PM
2013-05-13 5:02 PM
in reply to: #4740598

User image

Elite
Kido - 2013-05-13 3:48 PM

When Eric was pulled, it basically sealed the game up for Cochran.  I'm not sure how it plays out if he is still around.

Eddie was playing with house money for about a month, so his joy of just playing the game was in stark contrast to Dawn's paranoia and stability issues.

As I mentioned above, Cochran's responses were spot on.  When Malcom asked "what do you have that I don't" - his response was an increased sense of paranoia or insecurity (along those lines).  Perfect.  What that REALLY means is "I was not as cocky as you" or "I was more humble/less arrogant" - which you can't say.

But he did... he said he was more insecure and he could not possible imagine Malcolm being insecure. That isn't exactly the same as saying someone is arrogant... which I don't really get from Malcolm.

But Reynold flat out TOLD Dawn to hit him with her best shot... hello ARROGANT! Say it... say iiiiit (Sam Kinneson yell) And she still would not spit it out. What did she say? What word that was sort of that but nice... it was a complement.... Just say he is arrogant... he's heard it before. It's OK.Laughing

2013-05-13 7:14 PM

User image

Elite
Kido - 2013-05-13 4:44 PM
jmwebs - 2013-05-13 1:31 PM

Observations:

Weird, I went back and skimmed the posts and the only person to call her a mean hussy who endangered her kid was you.  NO ONE made anywhere close to those accusations.

There were comments on her move to make Dawn do something she KNEW was embarrassing and humiliating to prove some point.  That does seem mean to me.  Even if I asked and she said "no", I would rest my case and not keep going on and on about it.

People wondered about the timing and IF she could have been pregnant during the show - which could have brought up some questions.  No one was calling her names or accusing her of endangerment.

Thank you Kido especially for the parts I bolded above.  I know I originally brought up the timing of the pregnancy because it's kinda shocking to see someone on tv obviously malnourished one minute, and then the next they are ready to give birth!  I wish the show just reassured folks like me that the show finished up more than x months ago.  That's all.  Who called her a hussie?  My goodness.  I stand by the statement it was downright mean and spiteful to ask Dawn to take out her teeth.  That was spiteful plain and simple.  No producer could have edited that request to make it anything other than that.  

That said, in the episode where Brenda saved Dawn's teeth...at the time I commented to my wife that Brenda should have told Dawn to zip it.  Here are your teeth, please keep it on the down low.  Brenda played the game in a way I think was kind of like, "Here, I'll help you," and she expected reciprocation in the form of not receiving votes.  That's not how the game is played.  If folks want to do nice things, fine...just don't expect anything in return when you are playing a game.  Dawn should have said the obvious..."Brenda, you were a huge physical and social threat, plain and simple."  

2013-05-13 7:19 PM

User image

Elite

btw, one more vote for Eddie really growing on me towards the end.  He's one of those examples of non-alpha dogs to me.  Away from his macho pack he seems like a nice guy.  Get him in there following an alpha like Malcolm and an alpha wannabe like Reynold, and his less admirable traits come flowing out (i.e. all the "pretty people" comment nonsense/b.s. early on in the show).

2013-05-13 9:25 PM
in reply to: #4740545

User image

Master
Albuquerque
powerman - 2013-05-13 3:14 PM

So, it seems... Brandon was banned from the reunion.

http://www.realitynation.com/tv-shows/survivor/caramoan-finale-brandon-hantz-banned/34409/#_is=1ek4h8h4zjd7nuup214tpfjdon

Good, he was and is a punk. I hope he gains zero "fame" from his time in the spotlight. 

2013-05-13 9:27 PM
in reply to: #4740488

User image

Master
Albuquerque
Kido - 2013-05-13 2:48 PM

SOOOOOOO  next season...

For the water portion I was trying to figure out if there could be a way to use a boat and "set them adrift" so to speak. It would have to still be controlled somewhat (or people die!). Not sure if that would be feasible. 

2013-05-13 9:37 PM

User image

Champion
Evergreen, Colorado

Okay, I finally had a chance tonight to rewatch everything.

1. I definitely think the castaways look better on the island.  I don't think it's entirely the weight...for ME it's that they look NATURAL on the island...no make up, no styled hair, etc.  I always think people look better in a natural state...drives me batty that some folks think they cannot leave the house without makeup on.

2. Probst didn't do the "okay, if he chose to bring eddie does Cochran still win" thing.

3. I didn't like the format of the reunion show.  I like having all the castaways up there and like having them all get a chance to chat.  BR and the season 1 guys have had their time...let's concentrate on this season!

4. In the preview for blood v water, I don't know if my mind is playing tricks on me...BUT, the two people on the right hand side of the patch appear to be holding hands...could it be a tribe of family members vs a tribe of strangers?  Other survivor patches feature at MOST one person standing there.  This patch has FOUR people on it...two on the right holding hands....cannot be coincidence.  Wiki has THIS to say (didn't look until after I'd written this).  Don't like the idea of MORE returning castaways...I want fresh blood!

5. I think Dawn might have taken too much bashing at the final tribal...even though I think she crossed the line with Brenda...she was just playing the game.  Of course, if her personality is as annoying as they say (...remember annoying girl last season everyone hated?) it can be hard to over come that.  However, I do think she is delusional that she was more strategic than Cochran...but universally the players tend to think they are the "most strategic" and "in charge of the game" when to an outside audience seeing ALL the major plays...they are not.

6. I also don't think Sherri deserved the bashing she got.  Seriously, she had to play SOMEWHAT to get to the jury.  I agree that she did nothing past the jury, but she DID have to make moves to make it as far as she did...I agree she was least strategic of the players sitting there at final 3, but she did play hard early and then changed her game style to "fly under the radar" to keep progressing.  She adapted well and I'm not sure why everyone hated her SO much.

7. I don't mind Cochran calling himself a challenge beast.  He DID win several individual challenges and that put him in an elite group.  I get that the pole challenge the advantage was key.  He does not win that challenge without it.  But I think he won the last one fair and square.  Dawn erased his lead and he still won.  Final challenges are set up so that they are not all physical...

I might have more later but I'm tired!

2013-05-14 7:28 AM
in reply to: #4740976

Master
Memphis, TN
abqtj - 2013-05-13 9:25 PM
powerman - 2013-05-13 3:14 PM

So, it seems... Brandon was banned from the reunion.

http://www.realitynation.com/tv-shows/survivor/caramoan-finale-brandon-hantz-banned/34409/#_is=1ek4h8h4zjd7nuup214tpfjdon

Good, he was and is a punk. I hope he gains zero "fame" from his time in the spotlight. 

According to the article apparently Russell was there to "kick his [Phillips] a$$"  Stay classy Hantz family.  You got beat don't get mad just get better.

New Thread
Other Resources My Cup of Joe » Survivor Caramoan (will be spoilers) Rss Feed  

of 18