Other Resources My Cup of Joe » Little lessons learned the hard way..... Rss Feed  
Moderators: k9car363, the bear, DerekL, alicefoeller Reply

of 2

2013-02-23 1:04 PM

User image

Bronze member
Subject: Little lessons learned the hard way.....

Warning, just need to vent about the challenging stage my daughter (age 4) is in. She is very strong willed which I'm thankful for most of the time. But she is stuck in this phase where if something is slightly hard, not even hard, she just has to try a little, she screams/cries/whines that she can't do it because she hopes someone will do it for her. This has been going on a while. Examples - when trying to write her letters or when putting a puzzle together. She will ask me to help which to her means do all the work while she watches. I don't do that so many times something that should be fun turns into a battle of wills.

Yesterday topped the list. Copied this from my blog:

I needed to get out of the house for my run so I headed for the trail but I made the huge mistake of taking my dog and my daughter to visit my MIL. The dog was fine. My daughter started in on me as soon as it was time to pick her up. She didn't want to leave, I was wet and sweaty which was making me really cold and did not want to deal with this behavior. Just get in the van. Being all cold and wet I asked her to buckle her own seat belt so I didn't have to stand outside in the cold. And here we go - commence screaming meltdown. She begins kicking and screaming that she "can't" do it herself and as a parent now I'm stuck. I can't cave in to this totally inappropriate behavior. I can't do it for her when she reacts like this or what are the lessons she is learning? I can scream and yell and get everyone to do everything for me? No. So, I ask her nicely to try her best and I'll wait - no progress. I put my headphones on so I don't have to listen to the screaming and left her back there to work it out - no progress. I demonstrated how to buckle from the front seat (although she knows perfectly well how to do it herself) - more screaming and kicking. I screamed at her back because after 20 min of being cooped up in the van with her flailing, kicking and screaming, well what can I say, I am human. This whole time it was constant kicking and screaming at the top of her lungs from the get go. Now let me tell you, this was no accident that it took her this long. She would get the buckle right next to the latch and then just let go screaming "see, I can't do it!!!!!!!!". Wow. Well, 30 min later she has finally done it herself and we can go home. Is there a lesson she learned in all of this? Jeez I hope so. One thing is for sure, we are going to have seat belt lessons every day. The lesson I learned is don't take my daughter to visit MIL when I just want to get away and go for a run!

The bright side to this is today we ran errands in town. She managed her own seat belt each time we got back in the van and there was no kicking and screaming .

2013-02-23 2:20 PM
in reply to: #4634302

User image

Champion
Calgary
Subject: RE: Little lessons learned the hard way.....
I get trapped into that all the time to, asking her to do something and then her refusing.  Like your seat belt issue she did this thing once with her jacket, showing me how impossible it was for her to get it on without myself, it would have been comical if we didn't have a place to be.
2013-02-24 7:05 PM

User image

Regular
Bloomington

You story reminded me of this http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=1ycoXiEDBZk

Hang in there mom!

2013-02-24 7:48 PM
in reply to: #4635220

User image

Bronze member
BloomingRunner - 2013-02-24 7:05 PM

You story reminded me of this http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=1ycoXiEDBZk

Hang in there mom!

Oh my gosh yes! Exactly! Except why is it funny when I'm watching someone elses kid?

2013-02-24 8:22 PM

User image

Elite
oh big sympathy!  It doesn't last long though and it is just a phase.  Next is they want to do EVERYTHING themselves and it's so frustrating coz you're in a hurry!  My daughter turns eight in a couple of weeks - I don't get to do much for her at all and I kind of miss it!
2013-02-24 8:31 PM

User image

Elite
Boise
I have an almost 18 month old. He is very smart. However, whenever he is doing something he isn't supposed to and we give him the warning, he acts like he can't hear anything we are saying. When I become more persistent he pauses and looks around everywhere but at me. He won't stop doing whatever it is without me physically removing him from the area. It's getting quite frustrating.

2013-02-24 11:01 PM

User image

Expert
C-bus
I'm there with ya, sister.  She sounds exacty like my daughter, now 6.  She's the littlest and is used to her brother or someone doing whatever it is for her.  We've been (and still are going) through those struggles.  Whenever this behavior kicks in, I grit my teeth and repeat with a grimace, "Children are a blessing from the Lord" over and over.  Then I can't help but inwardly laugh.  It helps me anyway...
2013-02-25 6:35 AM
in reply to: #4635323

User image

Veteran
New Hampshire

JoshR - 2013-02-24 9:31 PM I have an almost 18 month old. He is very smart. However, whenever he is doing something he isn't supposed to and we give him the warning, he acts like he can't hear anything we are saying. When I become more persistent he pauses and looks around everywhere but at me. He won't stop doing whatever it is without me physically removing him from the area. It's getting quite frustrating.

I have the same age, well he's 19 months now, smart little SOB too, but we started using timeouts and being consistent with it and he turned the corner really well.  If he touches something he's not supposed to or throws something out of anger we pick him up and put him on the bottom stair for 30 seconds.  He's totally testing us, he'll put his finger right up to the TV cable box power button, look at me, I'll say no, then he'll touch it and before he can even attempt to run away his a$$ is on that bottom stair.  We're actually to the point now where we can pick him up and put him near the stair and tell him to sit down and he'll stay there until we tell him to get up.  It's a constant battle.  Best of luck.

To the OP, I admire you sticking to your guns with your daughter.  I hope I can do that when my son gets old enough to really push my buttons.

2013-02-25 9:33 AM
in reply to: #4635323

User image

Bronze member

JoshR - 2013-02-24 8:31 PM I have an almost 18 month old. He is very smart. However, whenever he is doing something he isn't supposed to and we give him the warning, he acts like he can't hear anything we are saying. When I become more persistent he pauses and looks around everywhere but at me. He won't stop doing whatever it is without me physically removing him from the area. It's getting quite frustrating.

See, not my child - this is just cute and funny .

2013-02-25 9:34 AM
in reply to: #4635455

User image

Bronze member

sungirl919 - 2013-02-24 11:01 PM I'm there with ya, sister.  She sounds exacty like my daughter, now 6.  She's the littlest and is used to her brother or someone doing whatever it is for her.  We've been (and still are going) through those struggles.  Whenever this behavior kicks in, I grit my teeth and repeat with a grimace, "Children are a blessing from the Lord" over and over.  Then I can't help but inwardly laugh.  It helps me anyway...

Yes, I've had to stop brother from doing whatever it is she is screaming about just because he wants her to be quiet!

That quote is a good idea!

2013-02-25 9:36 AM
in reply to: #4635566

User image

Elite
Boise
jonD81 - 2013-02-25 5:35 AM

JoshR - 2013-02-24 9:31 PM I have an almost 18 month old. He is very smart. However, whenever he is doing something he isn't supposed to and we give him the warning, he acts like he can't hear anything we are saying. When I become more persistent he pauses and looks around everywhere but at me. He won't stop doing whatever it is without me physically removing him from the area. It's getting quite frustrating.

I have the same age, well he's 19 months now, smart little SOB too, but we started using timeouts and being consistent with it and he turned the corner really well.  If he touches something he's not supposed to or throws something out of anger we pick him up and put him on the bottom stair for 30 seconds.  He's totally testing us, he'll put his finger right up to the TV cable box power button, look at me, I'll say no, then he'll touch it and before he can even attempt to run away his a$$ is on that bottom stair.  We're actually to the point now where we can pick him up and put him near the stair and tell him to sit down and he'll stay there until we tell him to get up.  It's a constant battle.  Best of luck.

To the OP, I admire you sticking to your guns with your daughter.  I hope I can do that when my son gets old enough to really push my buttons.

We've started to do the timeout thing by putting him in his crib (I don't have anywhere else to actually contain him in my house and no way he'd stay in one spot, I can't even get him to sit in my lap for 5 seconds). I'll have to be more consistent with it I guess.

2013-02-25 9:56 AM

User image

Champion
Brooklyn, NY
I definitely sympathize. I went through it to some degree with my son. But I have to ask: in what way is she held accountable for her actions? I know she’s little, but kids that age are old enough to understand cause and effect and can grasp that if they want to avoid a certain result they have to act in a certain way or do a certain thing.

You cannot win a battle of wills with a kid that age. You just can’t. Whatever the issue is, the stakes are higher for her than they are for you. You just want to get to the next thing, but for a kid her age, there is not, has never been, and will never be, an issue more important in her life than not putting on her seat belt.

I understand how frustrating this can be, but it sounds like you’re sort of trying to wish it away and hope she stops, when, if anything, you’re conditioning her behavior and making it even more likely that it’ll continue. I’m not suggesting that you go immediately into ultra-strict disciplinarian-mom mode, but you’ve got to hold her accountable for her actions and make her see that sometimes she doesn’t get a vote. Give her an incentive, even if it’s only to avoid punishment, to listen to you, otherwise you’re teaching her that all she has to do to get her way is outlast you.
2013-02-25 10:10 AM
in reply to: #4635844

User image

Master
Calgary, AB
Silver member
JoshR - 2013-02-25 8:36 AM 

We've started to do the timeout thing by putting him in his crib (I don't have anywhere else to actually contain him in my house and no way he'd stay in one spot, I can't even get him to sit in my lap for 5 seconds). I'll have to be more consistent with it I guess.

It's worth the effort. If he leaves the timeout space, just pick him up and put him back. Might take an hour the first time but it's an investment - he has to do the time willingly not just because he can't escape. (Using sleeping space as punishment space has issues too)

I did the head-to-head battle with my first toddler only once - never again, ugh. 

2013-02-25 10:14 AM

User image

Master
Dear Lord Thank you for not blessing me with children and testing my patience everyday. Please give these parents the strength and patience to love theirs every day.
2013-02-25 10:17 AM
in reply to: #4635908

User image

Elite
Boise

verga - 2013-02-25 9:14 AM Dear Lord Thank you for not blessing me with children and testing my patience everyday. Please give these parents the strength and patience to love theirs every day.

That's never an issue. My son is the most adorable little kid I've ever seen.

(Grady.JPG)

Attachments
----------------
Grady.JPG (71KB - 15 downloads)
2013-02-25 11:00 AM

User image

Champion
Philly 'burbs
trigal38 - 2013-02-23 2:04 PM

, 30 min later she has finally done it herself and we can go home. 

30 minutes? It's none of my business, but since your posted it....

Why in the world would you spend 30 minutes dealing with this?

Tell her to do it herself. She refuses, tell her again.
She refuses again. Give her one more chance; do it or x will happen.
She doesn't do it, then x happens.

I'm all about giving kids the opportunity to be independent, but they also must learn about consequences for their actions. It's not giving up or giving in if you do it for her with consequences. It may take a few times, but if you are consistent with follow through, she'll get the message. She'll learn to do what you ask her to do because she'll learn that if she doesn't she will have to deal with consequences that are at least less pleasant than doing the thing you wanted her to do.

2013-02-25 11:56 AM
in reply to: #4635978

User image

Expert
Boise, ID
mrbbrad - 2013-02-25 10:00 AM

I'm all about giving kids the opportunity to be independent, but they also must learn about consequences for their actions. It's not giving up or giving in if you do it for her with consequences. It may take a few times, but if you are consistent with follow through, she'll get the message. She'll learn to do what you ask her to do because she'll learn that if she doesn't she will have to deal with consequences that are at least less pleasant than doing the thing you wanted her to do.

First, I don't have kids but we are considering in it the next 5 years.

But I must say this was my thought as well. You were punished for 30 minutes until she just wore herself out. She didn't have anywhere to be or anything more important to do so what was her consequence? Unless she just really hates being in the van...

I would like to hear some more input from actual parents but I have to think that a warning should be issued, if not obeyed a swift consequence should follow and the matter should be over in far less than 30 minutes. 

But as I said I am not a parent, I am just here to learn.

2013-02-25 12:26 PM
in reply to: #4635978

User image

Bronze member
mrbbrad - 2013-02-25 11:00 AM

What is your suggestion of X? I'm not challenging you or being snarky. I actual welcome other suggestions.

I'm not surprised at questioning the time and that is not something I typically have time for myself. It's hard to explain without living in the house but sometimes my daughter brings us to a crossroads and I have to stand firm.

I know my daughter and I know the only way for us to move past this obstacle that we encounter several times a day (buckling herself) is to help her realize she can do it herself. And if it takes 5 min or 30 is irrelevant to me - that choice is hers.

To me this was the appropriate consequence - Mommy is not doing it for you. What she wanted more than anything was for me to do it and then guess where we are again tomorrow? So if I say buckle your seat belt or I'm going to start taking your toys away when we get home (as a different example of consequences not suggesting this is what you had in mind) then how is that relevant to overcoming this obstacle in the future? This was the day to face this issue and take it down. 

Since the fit she has buckled her own seat belt every time we go somewhere with no screaming and yesterday told me I don't need help, I can do it myself. Her overall behavior during other day to day tasks has also improved. So what is 30 min in the grand scheme of things?

2013-02-25 12:51 PM

User image

Expert
Denver Area

Sounds OH SO familiar. I've a whole section of my blog dedicated to tantrums.

ETA:  I think you did well, Mama.

Edited by AdaBug 2013-02-25 12:52 PM
2013-02-25 1:13 PM
in reply to: #4635912

User image

Master
JoshR - 2013-02-25 11:17 AM

verga - 2013-02-25 9:14 AM Dear Lord Thank you for not blessing me with children and testing my patience everyday. Please give these parents the strength and patience to love theirs every day.

That's never an issue. My son is the most adorable little kid I've ever seen.

My wife and I love kids. I teach high school, and she used to work at a school for the deaf. we have 16 nieces and nephews between us. We have also done foster care and plan on doing it again. we also know that we are much better at being the temporary parents and the "fun" aunt and uncle.

2013-02-25 1:33 PM
in reply to: #4636095

User image

Bronze member
Aarondb4 - 2013-02-25 11:56 AM

But I must say this was my thought as well. You were punished for 30 minutes until she just wore herself out. She didn't have anywhere to be or anything more important to do so what was her consequence? Unless she just really hates being in the van...

I would like to hear some more input from actual parents but I have to think that a warning should be issued, if not obeyed a swift consequence should follow and the matter should be over in far less than 30 minutes. 

Again, the choice was hers. I did not punish her, she punished herself. She had other choices of how to handle the problem but she chose to have tantrum. Her consequence was not getting me to do the task for her. And she was far from wore out as she proceeded to sing and dance in the living room all evening when we got home.

As I said, she is a strong willed child. She does not care if you take her toys away or give her a time out. If she has a tantrum and I conform to exactly what she has the tantrum about then what is the consequence? You get a time out when you get home? Home is 20 min away so by then she won't even care.  Tomorrow when we get in the van we will face the exact same issue.

My son would be a totally different story. You can tell him your going to take away a Webkinz and he's over it. It's not worth it to him.

Now we are done with it, she buckles herself and we can move on.

2013-02-25 1:53 PM
in reply to: #4636321

User image

Expert
Boise, ID
trigal38 - 2013-02-25 12:33 PM
Aarondb4 - 2013-02-25 11:56 AM

Again, the choice was hers. I did not punish her, she punished herself. She had other choices of how to handle the problem but she chose to have tantrum. Her consequence was not getting me to do the task for her. And she was far from wore out as she proceeded to sing and dance in the living room all evening when we got home.

As I said, she is a strong willed child. She does not care if you take her toys away or give her a time out. If she has a tantrum and I conform to exactly what she has the tantrum about then what is the consequence? You get a time out when you get home? Home is 20 min away so by then she won't even care.  Tomorrow when we get in the van we will face the exact same issue.

My son would be a totally different story. You can tell him your going to take away a Webkinz and he's over it. It's not worth it to him.

Now we are done with it, she buckles herself and we can move on.

Good deal, glad it worked for you. I suppose every child and situation is different. Seemed like your consequence was much worse than hers but if it stopped the bad behavior sounds like it worked fine.

2013-02-25 1:56 PM

Master
Houston, TX

I have no idea what you are talking about:

http://youtu.be/NjYAF_HY7HY

My youngest is 4 also.  There were 15 minutes of "It's too hard, I can't do it" prior to the start of the video.  Some fairly entertaining theatrics too, which is why I started filming.  However the theatrics ran out pretty much when I started filming.  In all fairness, the only reason he was acting this way is because he doesn't want to learn to put away his own laundry.  And that's typically when we see fits like this, when it's something he doesn't want to do, like chores.  On virtually everything else he can't stand it if you help him.  He  wants to do it all by himself.  He gets so mad when I do something for him because I'm in a hurry.

2013-02-25 2:17 PM

User image

Pro
Omaha, NE

Please don't take any of this as critical of you as a parent, but this is an easy fix.  It takes time and patience, but it is easy.

First off, you have to realize that your child is acting this way because you are letting her act this way.  I know you're rolling your eyes at me now, but hear me out.  Children from the earliest ages push our boundaries and they train us to act a certain way.  For example, when infant baby is in the crib, baby cries, mom comes in.  aha, if I cry mom will show up so I'm going to cry a lot more.  Next thing you know mom is complaining because baby cry's all night long and she can't figure out why. 

It's no different as they get older.  If I don't want to do something I'm going to throw a tantrum, and it gets me what I want.  When it starts to not get me what I want I will just throw a bigger tantrum until I do get what I want.  What you've described sounds like this behavior.

Kids will continue to test you no matter how old they are and depending on how you react to the test determines how they will act and treat you in the future.  If you buckle at the little test, then the next test is a little harsher, and so on and so on.

OK, now how to fix this.  As Dr. Phil would say you have to know your child's currency.  There is something that is important to her.  TV, dolls, McDonalds, whatever that is.  You have to inform her that their behavior is unacceptable and if they don't stop they lose X for a period of time.  Then when they don't stop you HAVE to follow through with zero exceptions and it has to be something that is painful to them.  You have to be 100% consistent on this so don't make the punishment unrealistic such as no TV for a year because you're not going to follow through with that.

Personally we believed in corporal punishment which is admittedly a much easier approach.  You stop screaming or you're gonna get a spanking.  Count to three and whammo.  OK, keep freaking out and you'll get another spanking.  Count to three and whammo.  Sooner or later this approach works very well.  I'm not saying you have to spank your child, but you have to come up with consequences that are unpleasant and they have to be consistent so they know you mean it.

My kids are 18, 16, and 14 now and have pretty much given up on testing us because they know our kung fu is strong and they will lose every time.

2013-02-25 2:22 PM
in reply to: #4636453

User image

Master
Toronto
Bronze member
tuwood - 2013-02-25 3:17 PM

Please don't take any of this as critical of you as a parent, but this is an easy fix.  It takes time and patience, but it is easy.

First off, you have to realize that your child is acting this way because you are letting her act this way.  I know you're rolling your eyes at me now, but hear me out.  Children from the earliest ages push our boundaries and they train us to act a certain way.  For example, when infant baby is in the crib, baby cries, mom comes in.  aha, if I cry mom will show up so I'm going to cry a lot more.  Next thing you know mom is complaining because baby cry's all night long and she can't figure out why. 

It's no different as they get older.  If I don't want to do something I'm going to throw a tantrum, and it gets me what I want.  When it starts to not get me what I want I will just throw a bigger tantrum until I do get what I want.  What you've described sounds like this behavior.

Kids will continue to test you no matter how old they are and depending on how you react to the test determines how they will act and treat you in the future.  If you buckle at the little test, then the next test is a little harsher, and so on and so on.

OK, now how to fix this.  As Dr. Phil would say you have to know your child's currency.  There is something that is important to her.  TV, dolls, McDonalds, whatever that is.  You have to inform her that their behavior is unacceptable and if they don't stop they lose X for a period of time.  Then when they don't stop you HAVE to follow through with zero exceptions and it has to be something that is painful to them.  You have to be 100% consistent on this so don't make the punishment unrealistic such as no TV for a year because you're not going to follow through with that.

Personally we believed in corporal punishment which is admittedly a much easier approach.  You stop screaming or you're gonna get a spanking.  Count to three and whammo.  OK, keep freaking out and you'll get another spanking.  Count to three and whammo.  Sooner or later this approach works very well.  I'm not saying you have to spank your child, but you have to come up with consequences that are unpleasant and they have to be consistent so they know you mean it.

My kids are 18, 16, and 14 now and have pretty much given up on testing us because they know our kung fu is strong and they will lose every time.

There's good stuff there - though, I thought she already showed that she understood her childrens' currency in her previous post - her daughter doesn't respond to having things taken away while that would have worked for her son - so here the best course was patience and making her do it herself which was the goal. So, it took some time?

New Thread
Other Resources My Cup of Joe » Little lessons learned the hard way..... Rss Feed  

of 2