DeAxle Sports
82F / 28C
Sunny
Total Time = 1h 25m 15s
Overall Rank = 65/167
Age Group = 40-44
Age Group Rank = 9/16
Pre-race routine:

up at 5am, waffles, milk & OJ. that combo hasn't failed my yet in 7 previous triathlons over the past 9 months.
Event warmup:

met up with fellow BT'er "tizzy" and just kinda wondered around in a fog until it was time to hit the surf / swim start.
Swim
  • 16m 33s
  • 500 meters
  • 03m 19s / 100 meters
Comments:

all the comments i heard from people after the race was how bad the swim sucked. this was my worst TRI swim performance to date, not that i got tired, i just had bad execution. I fealt like i was making no forward progress in the surf zone on the way out to the first bouy. the waves were 3+ feet, easterly current at what made me feel like for every 5 ft forward progress, i got washed back 3 ft. i fealt like i'd already swam 500m by the time i got to the first bouy / turn. downwind leg was better, then back into the beach after the 2nd bouy i was able to catch a few waves. i ended up back pretty close to the entry / exit compared to several others that i could see running back down the beach as i was what i fealt like crawling in. my 1500m swim at the honolulu TRI in May was much easier than this 500m rough water swim. at the north shore TRI in May, I was under 2"/100m for roughly the same distance as the 500m here in what took over 3"/100m. Mother nature RULES !!
Transition 1
  • 03m 3s
Comments:

Sat down, washed off the sand, put socks and shoes on, drank some gatorade and trotted out from the back of the transition area to the bike mounting point on the highway.
What would you do differently?:

rack my bike closer to the front. the transition entry / exit points were side by side, and i was at the far / uncrowed end of the big square area where it was less crowded.
Bike
  • 39m 30s
  • 13.4 miles
  • 20.35 mile/hr
Comments:

I passed several people on the bike, making up for the poor swim performance. Overall swim I was 107, overall bike was 48.
Transition 2
  • 01m 47s
Run
  • 24m 20s
  • 3.15 miles
  • 07m 43s  min/mile
Comments:

I like running here because you can get off the side of the road into the crushed coral / sand surface most of the way which really helps my poor aging knees and hips that stay sore.
Post race
Warm down:

water, fruit and shower.

What limited your ability to perform faster:

lack of TRI specific training. I was happy with the race other than the swim.... but I'll blame that on mother nature. Think i'll keep up the Crossfit and strength workouts to get me through the rest of the years events, staying with the OLY and SPRINT distance TRIs.

Event comments:

Congrats to fellow BT'er "Tizzy" for collecting third place hardware in her age group!!

Last updated: 2006-06-01 12:00 AM
Swimming
00:16:33 | 500 meters | 03m 19s / 100meters
Age Group: 10/16
Overall: 107/167
Performance: Below average
Suit:
Course: clockwise triangle
Start type: Wade Plus: Waves
Water temp: 79F / 26C Current: High
200M Perf. Below average Remainder: Below average
Breathing: Average Drafting: Bad
Waves: Below average Navigation: Average
Rounding: Average
T1
Time: 03:03
Performance: Average
Cap removal: Average Helmet on/
Suit off:
Wetsuit stuck? Run with bike: No
Jump on bike: No
Getting up to speed: Average
Biking
00:39:30 | 13.4 miles | 20.35 mile/hr
Age Group: 9/16
Overall: 48/167
Performance: Good
Wind: Some
Course: double loop around the old Barber's Point Naval Air Station facility on the Ewa side of the runway area. Two loops back into White Plains Beach and back to Nimitz beach.
Road: Smooth Dry Cadence:
Turns: Good Cornering: Good
Gear changes: Good Hills:
Race pace: Comfortable Drinks: Just right
T2
Time: 01:47
Overall: Good
Riding w/ feet on shoes Average
Jumping off bike Average
Running with bike Average
Racking bike Average
Shoe and helmet removal Average
Running
00:24:20 | 03.15 miles | 07m 43s  min/mile
Age Group: 7/16
Overall: 48/167
Performance: Good
Course: Same direction out of Nimitz beach, then Ewa direction down Tripoli to White Plains beach turnaround then back.
Keeping cool Good Drinking Just right
Post race
Weight change: %
Overall: Average
Mental exertion [1-5] 3
Physical exertion [1-5] 3
Good race? Yes
Evaluation
Course challenge Just right
Organized? Yes
Events on-time? Yes
Lots of volunteers? Yes
Plenty of drinks? Yes
Post race activities: Average
Race evaluation [1-5] 3

{postbutton}
2006-07-03 8:28 PM

User image

Veteran
Charleston, SC
Subject: Firecracker Sprint Triathlon

2006-07-04 6:14 PM
in reply to: #473174

User image

Veteran
Brisbane
Subject: RE: Firecracker Sprint Triathlon

Super Effort Mark!!

I don't know how you keep your waffles, milk and OJ down when you race. If that was me, I would have been feeding the sharks in the swim and that wouldn't have been pretty. You must have a steel gut. 

After reading Tizzy's and your report, you did well to stay on course in the swim, it sounded like a shocker!!

Well done!!

2006-07-06 12:14 AM

User image

Regular
Kaneohe,Hawaii
Great job on your race, esp. considering how the swim went. Sorry I coouldn't hook up with you or any other BT's due to medical problem that popped up right at the end of last week. Just got the go ahead from the doc to start easy training again, no racing yet though. Hopefully I will get to meet you at some of the sprints in Oct.
Aloha,
Matt
2006-07-06 10:53 AM

User image

Extreme Veteran
Clayton/Raleigh, North Carolina
Great job! You were smokin' on the bike and the run!
General Discussion-> Race Reports!
{postbutton}
General Discussion Race Reports! » Firecracker Sprint Triathlon Rss Feed