Other Resources The Political Joe » Educate me, Re: Transgender child in CO Rss Feed  
Moderators: k9car363, alicefoeller Reply

of 5

2013-02-27 11:29 AM
in reply to: #4638710

User image

Champion
Atlanta, Ga
Subject: RE: Educate me, Re: Transgender child in CO
Ignorance question here since there seem to be people that are knowledgeable. 

Trans-Gender:  Is that when you are one sex but associate as the opposite sex?

Trans-sexual:  Is that when you have both boy and girl parts?

Once again, it's probably a question out of ignorance, but would the same concession be made for an effeminate gay male or 'butch' female that dressed the opposite of their plumbing. 

2013-02-27 11:35 AM
in reply to: #4639059

User image

Sneaky Slow
Herndon, VA,

Marvarnett - 2013-02-27 12:29 PM Ignorance question here since there seem to be people that are knowledgeable. 

Trans-Gender:  Is that when you are one sex but associate as the opposite sex?

Trans-sexual:  Is that when you have both boy and girl parts?

Once again, it's probably a question out of ignorance, but would the same concession be made for an effeminate gay male or 'butch' female that dressed the opposite of their plumbing. 

It's all over the place, and it depends who you ask. Some people identify with one or both terms, some with neither. I have never identified with transgender, and "transsexual" is something that's part of my past, so I don't identify with it, either.

In general, "transgender" is an umbrella term which encompasses all sorts of people, from drag queens, to crossdressers, part-timers, full-timers, and everything in between.

When I think of transsexual, I think of someone who has altered their body in a meaningful (read: permanent) to bring their body closer to their brain.

Having "both boy and girl parts" is called intersexed.

Edited by tealeaf 2013-02-27 11:40 AM
2013-02-27 11:57 AM

User image

Extreme Veteran

I honestly think the school is doing the right thing at this point. In my mind it is better to establish a policy now that if you do not have the right equipment for the correct bathroom, regardless of which one your associate with, you can use seperate bathrooms like they have offered. It makes more sense to start now and move forward with it as the child ages than to have her using this bathroom until kids in her class start hitting puberty and then suddenly have to change it to avoid any sort incident or alleged incident.

As far as the issue of whether this girl really has been able to self identify as female, I would ask you if a non-transgendered boy knows they are a boy by the time they are six? Does a non-transgendered girl know they are a girl at 6? or even at 3? Everything I have read says that they do, which is why it is no surprise to me that a child that age could identify as being the wrong gender. They may not be able to say why but my guess is they went to a therapist or psychologist who was able to help the family and child figure out what was going on, and offer them different options on how to approach it and how to support or work with the child.

2013-02-27 12:10 PM
in reply to: #4639035

User image

Bronze member
Aarondb4 - 2013-02-27 11:17 AM

I don't think we will solve where sex identity comes from in CoJ. 

So I suppose the political question here is how should the school handle it?

Perhaps it is not a big deal right now as younger kids aren't as conscious of body parts and such, but how does the school balance the needs of this kid against the rules of boy parts go in one room and girl parts in another? I mean it really isn't a question of expelling the kid from the girl's only tea party club, the bathroom is not a meeting place it is a place to get your "parts" out and conduct business.

I think the school was right in offering alternative locations to conduct business, but as to restricting boy parts from a girl parts zone there are two sides to the argument, glad I don't have to be the one to decide.

One more thought... I believe in sports it is based on the parts or even the parts born with, should it be the same for bathrooms? As the kid gets older I don't see making them take their skirt into the boys bathroom in high school but at the same time should boy parts be in the girls bathroom in high school? Perhaps the single person bathroom or nurse's bathroom is the best solution perhaps it is not. Good luck to whoever has to decide.  

Just to note, younger kids are super curious about body parts. I caught my son and the little neighbor girl checking each out when they were 3 right outside in the driveway. I'll show you mine if you show me yours kind of thing.

2013-02-27 12:38 PM

User image

Expert

Gender identity disorder is a well accepted diagnosis in pediatrics.  For some kids  the etiology is unclear, for others there is a clear physiological component, such congenital adrenal hyperplasia or mixed gonadal dysgenesis.  These kids will typically identify with the opposite gender from an early age.  Kids who are forced to live in the other identity tend to do worse psychologically, but even with acceptance these kids tend to have a tough time.  

http://www.nlm.nih.gov/medlineplus/ency/article/001527.htm

2013-02-27 12:40 PM
in reply to: #4639005

User image

Master
Washington, DC Metro

julio26pt2 - 2013-02-27 12:01 PM

You got that right.... wow is my only comment!

2013-02-27 1:11 PM
in reply to: #4639188

User image

Champion
Evergreen, Colorado
momandmd - 2013-02-27 12:38 PM

Gender identity disorder is a well accepted diagnosis in pediatrics.  For some kids  the etiology is unclear, for others there is a clear physiological component, such congenital adrenal hyperplasia or mixed gonadal dysgenesis.  These kids will typically identify with the opposite gender from an early age.  Kids who are forced to live in the other identity tend to do worse psychologically, but even with acceptance these kids tend to have a tough time.  

Really fascinating.  I guess I just never would have thought that by age 6 a kid could that strongly identify with the other gender.  So much of gender IS how you were raised.  I mean...from the get-go we put girls in pink and boys in blue.  We practically TRAIN them to want to play with certain toys and do certain things.  As someone else said, maybe it's just a phase that the kid will grow out of.  Or maybe it really is that they identified it early.  But if that's the case I don't really see the harm in what the school is doing...until the kid is older and you are "100% sure" it isn't a phase they will grow out of then they need to be able to draw a line to protect everyone, right?  I definitely see the need to let the kid explore and "figure it out", but aren't the parents maybe almost working TOO hard to support the "identifies as a girl" piece?  It's almost like the reverse of forcing the kid to identify with physical gender.  In this case they are trying to force the school to support identifying as a girl.  I'd be more interested in seeing both sides stay neutral (i.e. not "favor" either gender) so the child is really deciding for his/her self...

2013-02-27 1:45 PM
in reply to: #4639253

User image

Champion
Austin, Texas
jldicarlo - 2013-02-27 1:11 PM

Really fascinating.  I guess I just never would have thought that by age 6 a kid could that strongly identify with the other gender.  So much of gender IS how you were raised.  I mean...from the get-go we put girls in pink and boys in blue.  We practically TRAIN them to want to play with certain toys and do certain things.  As someone else said, maybe it's just a phase that the kid will grow out of.  Or maybe it really is that they identified it early.  But if that's the case I don't really see the harm in what the school is doing...until the kid is older and you are "100% sure" it isn't a phase they will grow out of then they need to be able to draw a line to protect everyone, right?  I definitely see the need to let the kid explore and "figure it out", but aren't the parents maybe almost working TOO hard to support the "identifies as a girl" piece?  It's almost like the reverse of forcing the kid to identify with physical gender.  In this case they are trying to force the school to support identifying as a girl.  I'd be more interested in seeing both sides stay neutral (i.e. not "favor" either gender) so the child is really deciding for his/her self...

This is only my opinion, but by the school doing an about face with how this child is being treated, it's singling her out to the rest of the school population as being different.  Making her either use the boys bathroom or use a 'neutral' bathroom I don't think is going to help her as she grows up, I would think (and again, this is just my opinion) that this would only lead to her feeling ostracized and even more different than she might already feel. 

2013-02-27 1:52 PM
in reply to: #4639323

User image

Champion
Evergreen, Colorado
blueyedbikergirl - 2013-02-27 1:45 PM

This is only my opinion, but by the school doing an about face with how this child is being treated, it's singling her out to the rest of the school population as being different.  Making her either use the boys bathroom or use a 'neutral' bathroom I don't think is going to help her as she grows up, I would think (and again, this is just my opinion) that this would only lead to her feeling ostracized and even more different than she might already feel. 

That's kind of my point...if everyone just stayed neutral and let him/her use whatever bathroom they wanted then IMHO that is truly letting the kid decide where they are most comfortable.  BUT, that being said...the school has to have SOME rules about who is allowed to use what bathroom or they could probably face lawsuits or problems in the future.  It's a no-win for everyone really.

2013-02-27 1:54 PM
in reply to: #4638896

User image

Master
Centennial, CO

I can totally believe that a child may recognize that they do not relate to their gender at a young age.  But I totally support the school in it's decision.  They provided options, and at the end of the day, while I don't see a problem with a 6 YO using the girls bathroom, I do have a problem with it when the child is older.  It is inappropriate.  And it is probably good for the child to get used to this now.

This is where the rights of one should not impact the rights of everyone else.

2013-02-27 1:58 PM
in reply to: #4639336

User image

Champion
Austin, Texas
jldicarlo - 2013-02-27 1:52 PM

That's kind of my point...if everyone just stayed neutral and let him/her use whatever bathroom they wanted then IMHO that is truly letting the kid decide where they are most comfortable.  BUT, that being said...the school has to have SOME rules about who is allowed to use what bathroom or they could probably face lawsuits or problems in the future.  It's a no-win for everyone really.

I think you're absolutely right - it's a no-win situation which makes me sad, but I don't know what the right answer here is that won't make someone upset.  It would be nice if the school would let the child decide which bathroom to use, but I don't foresee that happening. 

2013-02-27 2:05 PM
in reply to: #4639352

User image

Pro
blueyedbikergirl - 2013-02-27 1:58 PM

I think you're absolutely right - it's a no-win situation which makes me sad, but I don't know what the right answer here is that won't make someone upset.  It would be nice if the school would let the child decide which bathroom to use, but I don't foresee that happening. 

Should we do that for all kids? 

Yes, I realize that this child is "different"....but that's the point. 

She is different than the other kids.  What we should strive for, IMO, is the idea that being "different" is Ok......the idea that "we are all the same" doesn't work....because we're not.

2013-02-27 2:13 PM
in reply to: #4639375

User image

Champion
Austin, Texas
Left Brain - 2013-02-27 2:05 PM
blueyedbikergirl - 2013-02-27 1:58 PM

Should we do that for all kids? 

Yes, I realize that this child is "different"....but that's the point. 

She is different than the other kids.  What we should strive for, IMO, is the idea that being "different" is Ok......the idea that "we are all the same" doesn't work....because we're not.

So the answer is to make a 6 year old feel even more "different" from every other child in the school?  I don't see how that's a good idea. 

2013-02-27 2:16 PM

User image

Pro
McKinney, TX

The schools attorney is named Dude.....anyone else giggle at that irony.

2013-02-27 2:17 PM

User image

Pro

Blueyebikergirl - So, you think that a 6 year old is self-aware of her sexuality but not aware that she is different from other girls?  I doubt that.

She is different.....no problem.  I teach my children to embrace the fact that there are people in the world much different than they are....a good thing....keeps life interesting.

Pretending she is not different is good for no one.

Edited by Left Brain 2013-02-27 2:19 PM
2013-02-27 2:23 PM
in reply to: #4639400

User image

Champion
Austin, Texas
Left Brain - 2013-02-27 2:17 PM

Blueyebikergirl - So, you think that a 6 year old is self-aware of her sexuality but not aware that she is different from other girls?  I doubt that.

She is different.....no problem.  I teach my children to embrace the fact that there are people in the world much different than they are....a good thing....keeps life interesting.

Pretending she is not different is good for no one.

I'm not going to get in an argument here.  You have your opinions and I have mine. 

2013-02-27 2:30 PM

User image

Champion
, Minnesota
Bronze member

I work from the assumption that if someone identifies as a "she", and wears dresses, I call her "her" or "she" and I except this individual to use the women's rest room. It's no better/safer/smarter/appropriate for a person wearing a female clothes to enter the men's room.  This little kid could use the girls bathroom everywhere, without even a thought, except a the places where people know she "was a boy" last year. 

I think the school is worrying more about what the adults will say/think than the kids.  I would bet the kids, without prompting help from parents, wouldn't care if Coy uses the girls bathroom.   Kids are more open minded until adults start putting ideas in their heads.  It's even easier in her case since there are stalls and going to the potty is pretty private.   Now, if she's going to the little boys room and the boys are using the urinals and that's easier to accept?

Regarding conditioning:   I have a girlfriend who happens to be pretty much a tomboy.  Doesn't do glitter/pink/girly stuff. Little to know makeup, doesn't dress in a body conscious way.  She had a daughter and was the type to paint the nursery green, etc.   Despite that, her daughter is the girliest of all girls.  Even before she was more socialized in school, she asked for dolls and play kitchens and pink glitter.  I think it's funny; my girlfriend is still getting used to it.

Edited by BikerGrrrl 2013-02-27 2:33 PM
2013-02-27 2:33 PM

User image

Sneaky Slow
Herndon, VA,
Left Brain - 2013-02-27 3:17 PM

Blueyebikergirl - So, you think that a 6 year old is self-aware of her sexuality...

This discussion isn't about sexuality; it's about gender identity. There's a huge difference.

2013-02-27 2:36 PM
in reply to: #4639341

User image

Sneaky Slow
Herndon, VA,
velocomp - 2013-02-27 2:54 PM

I can totally believe that a child may recognize that they do not relate to their gender at a young age.  But I totally support the school in it's decision.  They provided options, and at the end of the day, while I don't see a problem with a 6 YO using the girls bathroom, I do have a problem with it when the child is older.  It is inappropriate.  And it is probably good for the child to get used to this now.

Can you explain to me how people's rights are impacted when, say, a 12-year old who identifies as a girl, blends in with the other girls (or even if she doesn't actually), behaves in an appropriate manner, enters a stall, closes the door, does her business, gets up, washes her hands, and leaves?

Edited by tealeaf 2013-02-27 2:36 PM
2013-02-27 2:37 PM
in reply to: #4639416

User image

Pro
BikerGrrrl - 2013-02-27 2:30 PM

I work from the assumption that if someone identifies as a "she", and wears dresses, I call her "her" or "she" and I except this individual to use the women's rest room. It's no better/safer/smarter/appropriate for a person wearing a female clothes to enter the men's room.  This little kid could use the girls bathroom everywhere, without even a though, except a the places where people know she "was a boy" last year. 

I think the school is worrying more about what the adults will say/think than the kids.  I would bet the kids, without prompting help from parents, wouldn't care if Coy uses the girls bathroom.   Kids are more open minded until adults start putting ideas in their heads.  It's even easier in her case since there are stalls and going to the potty is pretty private.   Now, if she's going to the little boys room and the boys are using the urinals and that's easier to accept?

Regarding conditioning:   I have a girlfriend who happens to be pretty much a tomboy.  Doesn't do glitter/pink/girly stuff. Little to know makeup, doesn't dress in a body conscious way.  She had a daughter and was the type to paint the nursery green, etc.   Despite that, her daughter is the girliest of all girls.  Even before she was more socialized in school, she asked for dolls and play kitchens and pink glitter.  I think it's funny; my girlfriend is still getting used to it.

Well, that IS kinda the point of the whole deal, isn't it?  What if it makes the other girls uncomfortable?  Too bad?  What if it makes ONE other girl uncomfortable?  Tough? 

The school did well as far as I'm concerned.  They are making an exception for an exceptional child.  Nice.

2013-02-27 2:39 PM
in reply to: #4639426

User image

Sneaky Slow
Herndon, VA,
Left Brain - 2013-02-27 3:37 PM

I work from the assumption that if someone identifies as a "she", and wears dresses, I call her "her" or "she" and I except this individual to use the women's rest room. It's no better/safer/smarter/appropriate for a person wearing a female clothes to enter the men's room.  This little kid could use the girls bathroom everywhere, without even a though, except a the places where people know she "was a boy" last year. 

Well, that IS kinda the point of the whole deal, isn't it?  What if it makes the other girls uncomfortable?  Too bad?  What if it makes ONE other girl uncomfortable?  Tough? 

The school did well as far as I'm concerned.  They are making an exception for an exceptional child.  Nice.

Yes, too bad. The uncomfortable parties can use the gender-neutral restroom.

2013-02-27 2:42 PM
in reply to: #4639431

User image

Pro
tealeaf - 2013-02-27 2:39 PM
Left Brain - 2013-02-27 3:37 PM

Yes, too bad. The uncomfortable parties can use the gender-neutral restroom.

What if all of the other girls are uncomfortable with it?

2013-02-27 2:47 PM

User image

Expert
Hijack on...

dont mean to hijack the thread but does anyone watch the tv show Shameless on showtime? They just had a couple of episodes on this topic a couple weeks back. Super funny stuff!

Hijack off...
2013-02-27 2:51 PM

User image

Pro
McKinney, TX

But the attorney's name is DUDE......

Stop the bickering long enough to giggle.....

2013-02-27 2:59 PM
in reply to: #4639424

User image

Expert
Boise, ID
tealeaf - 2013-02-27 1:36 PM
velocomp - 2013-02-27 2:54 PM

Can you explain to me how people's rights are impacted when, say, a 12-year old who identifies as a girl, blends in with the other girls (or even if she doesn't actually), behaves in an appropriate manner, enters a stall, closes the door, does her business, gets up, washes her hands, and leaves?

Unfortunately nature would dictate that the child leave the seat up even if "she" sat down to pee. It's just nature and science. This would obviously impact the other girls or so I gather from all the biothcin my wife does about the toilet seat.

New Thread
Other Resources The Political Joe » Educate me, Re: Transgender child in CO Rss Feed  

of 5