Other Resources The Political Joe » Educate me, Re: Transgender child in CO Rss Feed  
Moderators: k9car363, alicefoeller Reply

of 5

2013-02-27 3:00 PM
in reply to: #4639431

User image

Expert
Boise, ID
Subject: RE: Educate me, Re: Transgender child in CO
tealeaf - 2013-02-27 1:39 PM
Left Brain - 2013-02-27 3:37 PM
BikerGrrrl - 2013-02-27 2:30 PM

I work from the assumption that if someone identifies as a "she", and wears dresses, I call her "her" or "she" and I except this individual to use the women's rest room. It's no better/safer/smarter/appropriate for a person wearing a female clothes to enter the men's room.  This little kid could use the girls bathroom everywhere, without even a though, except a the places where people know she "was a boy" last year. 

I think the school is worrying more about what the adults will say/think than the kids.  I would bet the kids, without prompting help from parents, wouldn't care if Coy uses the girls bathroom.   Kids are more open minded until adults start putting ideas in their heads.  It's even easier in her case since there are stalls and going to the potty is pretty private.   Now, if she's going to the little boys room and the boys are using the urinals and that's easier to accept?

Regarding conditioning:   I have a girlfriend who happens to be pretty much a tomboy.  Doesn't do glitter/pink/girly stuff. Little to know makeup, doesn't dress in a body conscious way.  She had a daughter and was the type to paint the nursery green, etc.   Despite that, her daughter is the girliest of all girls.  Even before she was more socialized in school, she asked for dolls and play kitchens and pink glitter.  I think it's funny; my girlfriend is still getting used to it.

Well, that IS kinda the point of the whole deal, isn't it?  What if it makes the other girls uncomfortable?  Too bad?  What if it makes ONE other girl uncomfortable?  Tough? 

The school did well as far as I'm concerned.  They are making an exception for an exceptional child.  Nice.

Yes, too bad. The uncomfortable parties can use the gender-neutral restroom.

I'mma say that next time I determine the men's room is too dirty and I decide to use the women's room instead. Uncomfortable parties can deal with it. 

2013-02-27 3:03 PM
in reply to: #4639472

User image

Pro
Aarondb4 - 2013-02-27 3:00 PM

I work from the assumption that if someone identifies as a "she", and wears dresses, I call her "her" or "she" and I except this individual to use the women's rest room. It's no better/safer/smarter/appropriate for a person wearing a female clothes to enter the men's room.  This little kid could use the girls bathroom everywhere, without even a though, except a the places where people know she "was a boy" last year. 

I think the school is worrying more about what the adults will say/think than the kids.  I would bet the kids, without prompting help from parents, wouldn't care if Coy uses the girls bathroom.   Kids are more open minded until adults start putting ideas in their heads.  It's even easier in her case since there are stalls and going to the potty is pretty private.   Now, if she's going to the little boys room and the boys are using the urinals and that's easier to accept?

Regarding conditioning:   I have a girlfriend who happens to be pretty much a tomboy.  Doesn't do glitter/pink/girly stuff. Little to know makeup, doesn't dress in a body conscious way.  She had a daughter and was the type to paint the nursery green, etc.   Despite that, her daughter is the girliest of all girls.  Even before she was more socialized in school, she asked for dolls and play kitchens and pink glitter.  I think it's funny; my girlfriend is still getting used to it.

Well, that IS kinda the point of the whole deal, isn't it?  What if it makes the other girls uncomfortable?  Too bad?  What if it makes ONE other girl uncomfortable?  Tough? 

The school did well as far as I'm concerned.  They are making an exception for an exceptional child.  Nice.

I'mma say that next time I determine the men's room is too dirty and I decide to use the women's room instead. Uncomfortable parties can deal with it. 

You can, but I've seen people locked up for "peace disturbance" for doing exactly that....and it held up. (ETA - women complained to bar owner, bar owner held man until police arrived....women wanted to prosecute...end of story.)

Then again, in keeping with the theme from other threads, locking people up is good....so everyone is a winner in that deal.

Edited by Left Brain 2013-02-27 3:05 PM
2013-02-27 3:04 PM
in reply to: #4639472

User image

Sneaky Slow
Herndon, VA,
Aarondb4 - 2013-02-27 4:00 PM

Right, because of course, you identify as a woman. I'll make certain to use appropriate pronouns for you going forward.

2013-02-27 3:09 PM
in reply to: #4638710

User image

Pro
Twin Cities

Question: Do these types of things happen in, say European countries? Or is it a result of A) Americans' litigious natures or B) Americans' uptight body consciousness or C) some of both?

And by "these types of things," I don't mean individuals who are working through (or have resolved) gender identity, but rather the people who are getting all worked up about which bathroom someone goes in to take a dump/wash their hands/check their outfit/brush their teeth/whatever?

Sure, there are some creepy perverts out there who might get off on "sneaking" into the wrong bathroom, but really...is that what the issue is? That we shouldn't let the "wrong" gender in a bathroom b/c they may have illicit intentions (or they might not...but someone else MIGHT, and this would give them an "in")? Do people think that people in the opposite bathroom are trying to like peek at their poopers?

I'm pretty sure most people want to go to the bathroom and be done with it. Look, everyone poops (EVEN GIRLS Shocking, I know.). And 99.999999999% of the world's population, regardless of gender or sexuality or whatever is NOT trying to be a creeper in the W.C. And the ones that ARE? They're gonna do it anyway.

So WHY are people upset about this, is what I want to understand. Because it's "inappropriate"? Why is it? Frankly, I prefer to go to the bathroom alone. I mean, evolutionally speaking, I think we all do. But that's not always possible, and sometimes we have to share a bathroom. The hardware (or lack thereof) of the person in the stall next door is really not affecting anything. You'd still be standing next to them in the hallway. Or lying next to them on the beach (and, hey, if you're somewhere like the south of france, you may see their plumbing then anyway). Or whatever. So, if we have to have gender separated bathrooms...and you identify more as a chick, go in there. As a dude? Go in there. Do your business. As long as you give a courtesy flush and wash your hands, I am not affected.

Edited by mmrocker13 2013-02-27 3:11 PM
2013-02-27 3:09 PM
in reply to: #4639485

User image

Pro
tealeaf - 2013-02-27 3:04 PM

Right, because of course, you identify as a woman. I'll make certain to use appropriate pronouns for you going forward.

I see your point.  Yes, obviously a difference. 

But there are still the feelings of others to be considered.  Let me ask you, why can't she use the boys restroom?  She's physically equipped to use a urinal.

2013-02-27 3:10 PM
in reply to: #4639426

User image

Champion
Evergreen, Colorado
Left Brain - 2013-02-27 2:37 PM

This is the argument they've been using to remove the pledge in schools...the people uncomfortable with the situation (i.e. the people that don't want to hear people saying "under God") get to win...the people that want to say "under God" get their rights repressed.

People *always* side with the one person that might be uncomfortable...even if it isn't right.

2013-02-27 3:12 PM
in reply to: #4639485

User image

Expert
Boise, ID
tealeaf - 2013-02-27 2:04 PM

No perhaps I am a germophobe and recent studies have shown women's restrooms are statistically cleaner. Hypothetically speaking of course. But the point is there are rules for a reason and one rule is girl parts in the girls room boy parts in the boys room. 

2013-02-27 3:15 PM
in reply to: #4639495

User image

Champion
, Minnesota
Bronze member
Left Brain - 2013-02-27 3:09 PM

But there are still the feelings of others to be considered.  Let me ask you, why can't she use the boys restroom?  She's physically equipped to use a urinal.

But not necessarily "clothing equipped" with a fly that can be opened with some modesty.

What's next, banning gay men from using the men's room because they might see your equipment and think elicit thoughts?

2013-02-27 3:17 PM
in reply to: #4639494

User image

Champion
Evergreen, Colorado
mmrocker13 - 2013-02-27 3:09 PM

Question: Do these types of things happen in, say European countries? Or is it a result of A) Americans' litigious natures or B) Americans' uptight body consciousness or C) some of both?

And by "these types of things," I don't mean individuals who are working through (or have resolved) gender identity, but rather the people who are getting all worked up about which bathroom someone goes in to take a dump/wash their hands/check their outfit/brush their teeth/whatever?

Sure, there are some creepy perverts out there who might get off on "sneaking" into the wrong bathroom, but really...is that what the issue is? That we shouldn't let the "wrong" gender in a bathroom b/c they may have illicit intentions (or they might not...but someone else MIGHT, and this would give them an "in")? Do people think that people in the opposite bathroom are trying to like peek at their poopers?

I'm pretty sure most people want to go to the bathroom and be done with it. Look, everyone poops (EVEN GIRLS Shocking, I know.). And 99.999999999% of the world's population, regardless of gender or sexuality or whatever is NOT trying to be a creeper in the W.C. And the ones that ARE? They're gonna do it anyway.

So WHY are people upset about this, is what I want to understand. Because it's "inappropriate"? Why is it? Frankly, I prefer to go to the bathroom alone. I mean, evolutionally speaking, I think we all do. But that's not always possible, and sometimes we have to share a bathroom. The hardware (or lack thereof) of the person in the stall next door is really not affecting anything. You'd still be standing next to them in the hallway. Or lying next to them on the beach (and, hey, if you're somewhere like the south of france, you may see their plumbing then anyway). Or whatever. So, if we have to have gender separated bathrooms...and you identify more as a chick, go in there. As a dude? Go in there. Do your business. As long as you give a courtesy flush and wash your hands, I am not affected.

I agree that people in America are WAY too uptight about what happens in the bathroom.  Just take a walk around any locker room...everyone trying to do the towel dance or changing in the stalls!  Eek!  Someone might SEE them!!!  The horror! :D

I don't think that's the issue here.  These are kids.  Kids run around naked half the time and don't care at the age of 6.  I mean, are there rules that female teachers cannot go into the boys bathroom if they hear a scuffle or a problem?  Or the other way around? 

If you switched school districts at this point and presented your child as a girl...would the school ever even know the difference unless they saw him/her naked?

2013-02-27 3:18 PM
in reply to: #4639509

User image

Pro
BikerGrrrl - 2013-02-27 3:15 PM

But not necessarily "clothing equipped" with a fly that can be opened with some modesty.

What's next, banning gay men from using the men's room because they might see your equipment and think elicit thoughts?

Well, you've OBVIOUSLY never been in a crowded men's room. LMAO  Laughing

2013-02-27 3:20 PM
in reply to: #4639509

User image

Champion
Evergreen, Colorado

You jest, but some military people I know actually tried to use this as a reason they didn't want gays in the military.  I'm not joking.  It was mostly homophobic dudes, but they tried to say that rooming with a homosexual guy (so two guys sharing a room) would be like me rooming with a straight dude....that logic seriously made me want to bang my head against a wall.  IMHO it isn't the same thing AT ALL...dudes have dude parts and chicks have chick parts...in my brain I wouldn't have an issue rooming with a lesbian.  I wouldn't think she was checking me out.  But I would have an issue changing clothes in front of a guy.  That would feel weird.  Honestly that's probably cultural imprint...but it is what it is....

2013-02-27 3:23 PM
in reply to: #4639524

User image

Champion
Lost in the Luminiferous Aether
jldicarlo - 2013-02-27 4:20 PM

You jest, but some military people I know actually tried to use this as a reason they didn't want gays in the military.  I'm not joking.  It was mostly homophobic dudes, but they tried to say that rooming with a homosexual guy (so two guys sharing a room) would be like me rooming with a straight dude....that logic seriously made me want to bang my head against a wall.  IMHO it isn't the same thing AT ALL...dudes have dude parts and chicks have chick parts...in my brain I wouldn't have an issue rooming with a lesbian.  I wouldn't think she was checking me out.  But I would have an issue changing clothes in front of a guy.  That would feel weird.  Honestly that's probably cultural imprint...but it is what it is....

This then brings up the question.  What is going to happen when this child gets to a school gym class and lockerrooms? 

2013-02-27 3:27 PM
in reply to: #4639253

User image

Bronze member
jldicarlo - 2013-02-27 1:11 PM
momandmd - 2013-02-27 12:38 PM

Gender identity disorder is a well accepted diagnosis in pediatrics.  For some kids  the etiology is unclear, for others there is a clear physiological component, such congenital adrenal hyperplasia or mixed gonadal dysgenesis.  These kids will typically identify with the opposite gender from an early age.  Kids who are forced to live in the other identity tend to do worse psychologically, but even with acceptance these kids tend to have a tough time.  

http://www.nlm.nih.gov/medlineplus/ency/article/001527.htm

Really fascinating.  I guess I just never would have thought that by age 6 a kid could that strongly identify with the other gender.  So much of gender IS how you were raised.  I mean...from the get-go we put girls in pink and boys in blue.  We practically TRAIN them to want to play with certain toys and do certain things.  As someone else said, maybe it's just a phase that the kid will grow out of.  Or maybe it really is that they identified it early.  But if that's the case I don't really see the harm in what the school is doing...until the kid is older and you are "100% sure" it isn't a phase they will grow out of then they need to be able to draw a line to protect everyone, right?  I definitely see the need to let the kid explore and "figure it out", but aren't the parents maybe almost working TOO hard to support the "identifies as a girl" piece?  It's almost like the reverse of forcing the kid to identify with physical gender.  In this case they are trying to force the school to support identifying as a girl.  I'd be more interested in seeing both sides stay neutral (i.e. not "favor" either gender) so the child is really deciding for his/her self...

This reminds me of a little boy I had in preschool one year. Most preschool classrooms have a dress up area. In my room the clothes were for everyone - you could pretend to be whatever you wanted. Girls could be construction workers and there were always some boys who would put on heels or a dress and pretend to be Mommy or sister. But one time we had a little boy who spent all of his free play time every day dressing up in dresses and heels. Even after playtime was over he would leave the heels on when he was in the room. If you asked him are you a boy or a girl he would say girl. Everyone would laugh because you know, he was 3 and just adorable and sweet but he was at our preschool for 2 years and this trend did not change. He was Barbie for Halloween for 2 years. It really seemed like he identified his gender as female at a very early age.  I lost track of him after preschool since we moved but I have always wondered about him.

2013-02-27 3:28 PM
in reply to: #4639524

User image

Champion
, Minnesota
Bronze member

And, in a nutshell, this is why transgender people struggle so much.  It makes me incredibly sad, although I don't have any answers.  From the GLAAD page:

Did you know?

• At least one transgender person is murdered every month; several more are assaulted.
  • 55% of transgender youth report being physically attacked.
  • Nearly half of young transgender people have seriously thought about taking their lives, and one quarter report having made a suicide attempt
  • More than half of transgender and gender non-conforming people who were bullied, harassed or assaulted in school because of their gender identity have attempted suicide.

2013-02-27 3:32 PM
in reply to: #4639514

User image

Pro
Twin Cities
jldicarlo - 2013-02-27 3:17 PM

I don't think that's the issue here.

That was sort of my point--I don't even get WHY there is an issue here. What are people worried about? I mean, as you pointed out, unless they saw the person naked or knew them beforehand... NO ONE WOULD EVER KNOW. OR BE AFFECTED.

And then I got to wondering if it (people in the "wrong" bathroom) is an "issue" here b/c of Americans' love to sue anything that moves, or if it's an issue b/c we are uptight about stuff, or...?

2013-02-27 3:36 PM
in reply to: #4639253

User image

Pro
Omaha, NE
jldicarlo - 2013-02-27 1:11 PM
momandmd - 2013-02-27 12:38 PM

Gender identity disorder is a well accepted diagnosis in pediatrics.  For some kids  the etiology is unclear, for others there is a clear physiological component, such congenital adrenal hyperplasia or mixed gonadal dysgenesis.  These kids will typically identify with the opposite gender from an early age.  Kids who are forced to live in the other identity tend to do worse psychologically, but even with acceptance these kids tend to have a tough time.  

http://www.nlm.nih.gov/medlineplus/ency/article/001527.htm

Really fascinating.  I guess I just never would have thought that by age 6 a kid could that strongly identify with the other gender.  So much of gender IS how you were raised.  I mean...from the get-go we put girls in pink and boys in blue.  We practically TRAIN them to want to play with certain toys and do certain things.  As someone else said, maybe it's just a phase that the kid will grow out of.  Or maybe it really is that they identified it early.  But if that's the case I don't really see the harm in what the school is doing...until the kid is older and you are "100% sure" it isn't a phase they will grow out of then they need to be able to draw a line to protect everyone, right?  I definitely see the need to let the kid explore and "figure it out", but aren't the parents maybe almost working TOO hard to support the "identifies as a girl" piece?  It's almost like the reverse of forcing the kid to identify with physical gender.  In this case they are trying to force the school to support identifying as a girl.  I'd be more interested in seeing both sides stay neutral (i.e. not "favor" either gender) so the child is really deciding for his/her self...

I can't remember where I read it, so take this with a grain of salt.  From what I understand sexuality is developed at a very young age.  Even for straight people, the development of likes/dislikes, etc form very early.

I like blond hair, blue eyes, and I'm a bewb guy.  I've always been that way, and I remember being in early grade school thinking the same way.  Was I "born" this way or did it develop very young?  Dunno, but I've always been this way.

The whole debate gets so weird for me because I hate when people say someone "chooses" to be gay or transgender or whatever.  I do fall more on the side of the nurture versus nature argument, but I honestly think it's a combination of both and it happens very early.  So, people who are gay do not in any way "choose" to be gay, any more than I choose to like blondes or bewbs.

2013-02-27 4:38 PM
in reply to: #4639424

User image

Master
Centennial, CO
tealeaf - 2013-02-27 1:36 PM
velocomp - 2013-02-27 2:54 PM

I can totally believe that a child may recognize that they do not relate to their gender at a young age.  But I totally support the school in it's decision.  They provided options, and at the end of the day, while I don't see a problem with a 6 YO using the girls bathroom, I do have a problem with it when the child is older.  It is inappropriate.  And it is probably good for the child to get used to this now.

This is where the rights of one should not impact the rights of everyone else.

Can you explain to me how people's rights are impacted when, say, a 12-year old who identifies as a girl, blends in with the other girls (or even if she doesn't actually), behaves in an appropriate manner, enters a stall, closes the door, does her business, gets up, washes her hands, and leaves?

When it comes to the childs physical anatomy, they do not blend in.  As a father of a 6 yo daughter, I think it is inappropriate for a person with male anatomy to be in the restroom with my daughter.  And when the children are 12yo (6th grade), I think it is even more inappropriate.

FACT:  The school offered reasonable solutions (IMO).

My opinion.  

FYI, I also agree with the idea that most health clubs set an age of 4-6 when children of the opposite sex are no longer allowed in locker rooms.

Maybe try to remember what it was like for you in elementary school.  For me, 2nd grade first kiss, by 6th grade, going to movies and soda fountain with girls (Kissing and touching possible).  So yes, as a protective father, I don't need my daughter put in a situation where one of her girl friends is showing off her male stuff.

2013-02-27 5:17 PM
in reply to: #4639627

User image

Queen BTich

velocomp - 2013-02-27 5:38 PM  
So yes, as a protective father, I don't need my daughter put in a situation where one of her girl friends is showing off her male stuff.

Do you really think that this is what happens, or will happen? I *HARDLY* believe that this, or any, child dealing with this kind of issue, will be "showing off" their genitals. This is (probably) the LAST thing they want: to show other people how they're different. I absolutely cannot agree with this statement.

We're not talking about 'boys being boys', we're talking about a child trying to fit in. This would be the least effective way to do that.

Edited by Comet 2013-02-27 5:18 PM
2013-02-27 5:40 PM
in reply to: #4639667

User image

Master
Centennial, CO
Comet - 2013-02-27 4:17 PM

So yes, as a protective father, I don't need my daughter put in a situation where one of her girl friends is showing off her male stuff.

Do you really think that this is what happens, or will happen? I *HARDLY* believe that this, or any, child dealing with this kind of issue, will be "showing off" their genitals. This is (probably) the LAST thing they want: to show other people how they're different. I absolutely cannot agree with this statement.

We're not talking about 'boys being boys', we're talking about a child trying to fit in. This would be the least effective way to do that.

See and here is the rub.  Everyone wants this person to just fit in.  So the idea is that if everything works out (and I hope it does), she shouldn't feel like she doesn't fit in.  At which point why wouldn't the kids feel comfortable around each other?

And while many here may think I am being silly or uptight, why should my feelings and concerns matter any less than everyone elses. 

The truth is, you can't say it won't happen, only that you hardly believe it would.  Why make it possible.  

2013-02-27 5:44 PM
in reply to: #4639627

User image

Sneaky Slow
Herndon, VA,
tealeaf - 2013-02-27 1:36 PM
velocomp - 2013-02-27 2:54 PM

I can totally believe that a child may recognize that they do not relate to their gender at a young age.  But I totally support the school in it's decision.  They provided options, and at the end of the day, while I don't see a problem with a 6 YO using the girls bathroom, I do have a problem with it when the child is older.  It is inappropriate.  And it is probably good for the child to get used to this now.

This is where the rights of one should not impact the rights of everyone else.

Can you explain to me how people's rights are impacted when, say, a 12-year old who identifies as a girl, blends in with the other girls (or even if she doesn't actually), behaves in an appropriate manner, enters a stall, closes the door, does her business, gets up, washes her hands, and leaves?

When it comes to the childs physical anatomy, they do not blend in.  As a father of a 6 yo daughter, I think it is inappropriate for a person with male anatomy to be in the restroom with my daughter.  And when the children are 12yo (6th grade), I think it is even more inappropriate.

FACT:  The school offered reasonable solutions (IMO).

My opinion.  

FYI, I also agree with the idea that most health clubs set an age of 4-6 when children of the opposite sex are no longer allowed in locker rooms.

Maybe try to remember what it was like for you in elementary school.  For me, 2nd grade first kiss, by 6th grade, going to movies and soda fountain with girls (Kissing and touching possible).  So yes, as a protective father, I don't need my daughter put in a situation where one of her girl friends is showing off her male stuff.

That's absolutely laughable. The last thing a transgender child is going to do is "show off" the part of her body that she hates the most.

Also, you lose 4 points of cred for writing "FACT:" and then following it with "IMO" and then "My opinion."

Edited by tealeaf 2013-02-27 5:49 PM
2013-02-27 5:49 PM
in reply to: #4639689

User image

Queen BTich
velocomp - 2013-02-27 6:40 PM

See and here is the rub.  Everyone wants this person to just fit in.  So the idea is that if everything works out (and I hope it does), she shouldn't feel like she doesn't fit in.  At which point why wouldn't the kids feel comfortable around each other?

And while many here may think I am being silly or uptight, why should my feelings and concerns matter any less than everyone elses. 

The truth is, you can't say it won't happen, only that you hardly believe it would.  Why make it possible.  

When I was that age, I wasn't showing my genitals to my friends. 

When I was in middle school, and even high school, the girls in my locker room were not 'showing off' our genitals. In fact, most went out of their way to hide themselves while changing. I don't know the environment of a male locker room in middle and high school, but I'm quite certain they are different.

Why make it possible? I'm sorry if you think this is the way to 'protect' your daughter from seeing the genitals of her friends. 

(I'll also disagree that I was not going to the movies and having touching going on at age 12 either, but that's a different discussion

The opinions are yours to have, yes, and I respect you putting them out there. Mostly I'm pointing out these things because your opinions, "silly or uptight" can be hurtful. I understand people are raised with different values, and you want what you think is best for your child, however, I think tolerance, love and acceptance is pretty dang important. And this doesn't seem to be the way to foster that.

2013-02-27 5:58 PM
in reply to: #4639692

User image

Master
Centennial, CO
Comet - 2013-02-27 4:49 PM
velocomp - 2013-02-27 6:40 PM

When I was that age, I wasn't showing my genitals to my friends. 

When I was in middle school, and even high school, the girls in my locker room were not 'showing off' our genitals. In fact, most went out of their way to hide themselves while changing. I don't know the environment of a male locker room in middle and high school, but I'm quite certain they are different.

Why make it possible? I'm sorry if you think this is the way to 'protect' your daughter from seeing the genitals of her friends. 

(I'll also disagree that I was not going to the movies and having touching going on at age 12 either, but that's a different discussion

The opinions are yours to have, yes, and I respect you putting them out there. Mostly I'm pointing out these things because your opinions, "silly or uptight" can be hurtful. I understand people are raised with different values, and you want what you think is best for your child, however, I think tolerance, love and acceptance is pretty dang important. And this doesn't seem to be the way to foster that.

I lived in Colorado Springs, down the road from the Broadmoor Hotel.  This was before the Broadmoor was annexed by the City.  We had one police officer, and the kids spent time at the hotel, going to the movie theater, skating at the ice rink, and hanging out at the soda fountain at the Drug Store.  Not really your normal "Big City" environment.  It was quite pleasant to know we were safe.

2013-02-27 6:02 PM
in reply to: #4639691

User image

Queen BTich
tealeaf - 2013-02-27 6:44 PM
velocomp - 2013-02-27 5:38 PM Maybe try to remember what it was like for you in elementary school.  For me, 2nd grade first kiss, by 6th grade, going to movies and soda fountain with girls (Kissing and touching possible).  So yes, as a protective father, I don't need my daughter put in a situation where one of her girl friends is showing off her male stuff.

That's absolutely laughable. The last thing a transgender child is going to do is "show off" the part of her body that she hates the most.

Also, you lose 4 points of cred for writing "FACT:" and then following it with "IMO" and then "My opinion."

Thanks, that's what I was thinking. I would think that it would apply to most situation where a child is different than their peers. They're not going to go and bring attention to whatever that difference is (disability, gender, sexuality, etc). They want to fit in. 

2013-02-27 6:10 PM
in reply to: #4639700

User image

Master
Centennial, CO
Comet - 2013-02-27 5:02 PM
velocomp - 2013-02-27 5:38 PM Maybe try to remember what it was like for you in elementary school.  For me, 2nd grade first kiss, by 6th grade, going to movies and soda fountain with girls (Kissing and touching possible).  So yes, as a protective father, I don't need my daughter put in a situation where one of her girl friends is showing off her male stuff.

Thanks, that's what I was thinking. I would think that it would apply to most situation where a child is different than their peers. They're not going to go and bring attention to whatever that difference is (disability, gender, sexuality, etc). They want to fit in. 

Yes, thanks.  I also do value your thoughts on this subject.  

Oh, and I'm not here to win points.

2013-02-27 6:51 PM
in reply to: #4639709

User image

Sneaky Slow
Herndon, VA,
velocomp - 2013-02-27 7:10 PM
Comet - 2013-02-27 5:02 PM

Yes, thanks.  I also do value your thoughts on this subject.  

Oh, and I'm not here to win points.

I know you're not... I meant to put a winky smile at the end but forgot.

The whole bathroom thing is so overblown. The only people who cause problems when trans people use the appropriate restroom are non-trans people. Here's one example.

New Thread
Other Resources The Political Joe » Educate me, Re: Transgender child in CO Rss Feed  

of 5