Moderators: k9car363, alicefoeller Reply

of 3

2013-03-01 2:59 PM
in reply to: #4640758

User image

Veteran
Newport, North Carolina
Subject: RE: road rage on a cyclist
I have a used tomcat and it weighs about a pound.  I have carried it on my back in the past but more or less carry it in my goodie bag. 

2013-03-01 2:59 PM

A kl-tec p3at is extremely light/small, and in a shoulder holster under a cycling jersey, probably pretty comfy. Um... so I've heard...

I don't always carry a gun, but when I do, you can be sure it's loaded. Fwiw.
2013-03-01 3:00 PM

User image

Veteran
Newport, North Carolina
It does get annoying on long rides
2013-03-01 3:04 PM
in reply to: #4642586

User image

Veteran
Newport, North Carolina
I am just super crazy about gun safety.  the idea of having a loaded gun and the chance of being in an accident  and having a negligent discharge doesnt sit well.  I carry the magazine though. 
2013-03-01 3:27 PM

User image

Expert
Is this Heaven? No, it's Iowa.

We have an attorney in our group that will contact the police department and get the name / address if we get the license plate from the driver.  He sends a very formal letter indicating charges could be filed up to and including "attempted vehicular manslaughter" if someone served at the cyclist or ran them off the road. 

2013-03-01 3:40 PM
in reply to: #4642644

User image

siouxcityhawk - 2013-03-01 1:27 PM

We have an attorney in our group that will contact the police department and get the name / address if we get the license plate from the driver.  He sends a very formal letter indicating charges could be filed up to and including "attempted vehicular manslaughter" if someone served at the cyclist or ran them off the road. 

We had a pretty famous case here in LA on a popular canyon route where a physician pulled in front of two cyclists and slammed on his brakes.  Convicted of felony assault and lost his medical license.  he gets out of prison soon, I think.

Edited by ChrisM 2013-03-01 3:40 PM

2013-03-01 3:42 PM
in reply to: #4642660

User image

Sensei
Sin City
ChrisM - 2013-03-01 1:40 PM
siouxcityhawk - 2013-03-01 1:27 PM

We had a pretty famous case here in LA on a popular canyon route where a physician pulled in front of two cyclists and slammed on his brakes.  Convicted of felony assault and lost his medical license.  he gets out of prison soon, I think.

I think about that case every time I go to Laguna to see family.  Similar type road and I have biked it.  I wondered how that story is going.

Also the one where they driver shot the cyclist for punching him.  Wonder who went to jail (if anyone) for that.

2013-03-06 12:04 AM
in reply to: #4641637

New user

Byram
Duanerice - 2013-03-01 6:34 AMI'm just curious how he got so banged up with a helmet on. Now if he was riding on a road like they described (no shoulder) without a heer then I do question his judgement.

This is no excuse to what happened though.
I got home from the hospital saturday night ....i have trouble sleeping sine the incident and am watching my wife sleep as I try to relax. I came across this post. Let me explain.....I'm the guy that was attacked in byram Mississippi on my bike a week ago. For the record most of the roads we ride here in this area do not have shoulders or at least not worth mentioning. In fact this areas only bike club schedules rides through here on the very route I was on. When you question my judgement you are in fact questioning the whole club. (600 ). Actually it is very good road and many cyclists use it. I also live 2 miles from there and actuly was using that road to cut through to my training route. ( it's the only way)....but I would have thought the same thing if I was in your place and heard the news. As fas as the helmet goes, ....it was cold that day and I had a hood on under my helmet. I had never worn it like this before so i had removed it so I could adjust my hood right before I was attacked. Extremely bad timing on my part but as far as I was concerned I was in a hurry and did not expect what happened and that was POOR JUDGEMENT on my part ......but yes ......I wear a helmet. Like I said ...... If I saw the news I would think the same thing you did.
2013-03-06 12:10 AM

New user

Byram
metafizx - 2013-02-28 1:52 PM

even if he did flip him the bird, there's no reason to assault the cyclist...driver should be charged !

http://www.msnewsnow.com/story/21416790/byram-cyclist-hospitalized-after-road-rage-incident

[/I promise you I did not flip him off....lol...and after I talked to him or at least tried it was obvious he knew that from the start.....but you're right..... No excuse either way
2013-03-06 12:21 AM
in reply to: #4648111

User image

Master
Kailua, Hawaii
Stormsgate - 2013-03-05 7:10 PM
metafizx - 2013-02-28 1:52 PM

even if he did flip him the bird, there's no reason to assault the cyclist...driver should be charged !

http://www.msnewsnow.com/story/21416790/byram-cyclist-hospitalized-after-road-rage-incident

I promise you I did not flip him off....lol...and after I talked to him or at least tried it was obvious he knew that from the start.....but you're right..... No excuse either way

glad you're ok!

2013-03-06 5:03 AM
in reply to: #4648108

User image

Extreme Veteran
England

Stormsgate - 2013-03-06 6:04 AM
Duanerice - 2013-03-01 6:34 AMI'm just curious how he got so banged up with a helmet on. Now if he was riding on a road like they described (no shoulder) without a heer then I do question his judgement.

This is no excuse to what happened though.
I got home from the hospital saturday night ....i have trouble sleeping sine the incident and am watching my wife sleep as I try to relax. I came across this post. Let me explain.....I'm the guy that was attacked in byram Mississippi on my bike a week ago. For the record most of the roads we ride here in this area do not have shoulders or at least not worth mentioning. In fact this areas only bike club schedules rides through here on the very route I was on. When you question my judgement you are in fact questioning the whole club. (600 ). Actually it is very good road and many cyclists use it. I also live 2 miles from there and actuly was using that road to cut through to my training route. ( it's the only way)....but I would have thought the same thing if I was in your place and heard the news. As fas as the helmet goes, ....it was cold that day and I had a hood on under my helmet. I had never worn it like this before so i had removed it so I could adjust my hood right before I was attacked. Extremely bad timing on my part but as far as I was concerned I was in a hurry and did not expect what happened and that was POOR JUDGEMENT on my part ......but yes ......I wear a helmet. Like I said ...... If I saw the news I would think the same thing you did.

Glad to hear you're recovering, hopefully you have no long term problems.

Have they caught the guy who did it?

2013-03-06 6:30 AM

User image

Expert
Glad you are OK. And yea just assumed you didn't have a helmet on.
Get well!
2013-03-06 7:58 AM

New user

Byram

Thank you for the best wishes and also as far as catching the guy that did the road rage....not yet!  But my wife (SHES A GREAT DETECTIVE) is on it and the local law enforcement ( I believe are the best around in our area) have been extremely supportive.  The local cycling and triathlete folks are on it too BIG TIME!!  The local cycling club and triathletes have been AWESOME!  Everyone has been so good to me and they are even in the process of setting up a reward!  Law enforcement said this will get him and "SOMEONE WILL TURN HIM IN FOR MONEY"....lol.  When I'm healthy again i cant wait to get back on my bike and give back to our local cycling and triathlete community!  My health right now is getting better but there are some issues that came up because of this and Thursday I will see the doctor again and he will give me my options......(hopefully therapy) but nothing life threatening.  Thank you again for the nice comments.  This forum rocks!

p.s  I am a cyclist and have never been a triathlete but I always have thought you guys were the toughest athletes of any sport! Smile

2013-03-06 10:08 AM

User image

Veteran
Newport, North Carolina
I totally understand the road conditions you are talking about.  I am orginally from Southeast Missouri (in the boonies) and the shoulders of the road are non-existent or gravel.  Most of the farmers that use these roads are half tanked by 2pm so its a death sentence getting out there on a bike.  Glad your doing okay, of course your going to sign up for a triathlon now right?
2013-03-06 11:40 AM
in reply to: #4648433

New user

Byram

chrismcturnan - 2013-03-06 10:08 AM I totally understand the road conditions you are talking about.  I am orginally from Southeast Missouri (in the boonies) and the shoulders of the road are non-existent or gravel.  Most of the farmers that use these roads are half tanked by 2pm so its a death sentence getting out there on a bike.  Glad your doing okay, of course your going to sign up for a triathlon now right?

Thank you...and as far as being a triathlete....I have a very bad hip .....needing an operation....and the only thing i can do is ride a bike......lolol...but I'm admiring you guys!

2013-03-06 12:37 PM

User image

Veteran
North Carolina
I'm glad you're going to be okay. I hope they find the S.O.B. that assaulted you, throw him in prison, and he gets his head bashed in for no good reason!

Edited by lmwel 2013-03-06 12:38 PM

2013-03-06 12:45 PM
in reply to: #4648744

New user

Byram

lmwel - 2013-03-06 12:37 PM I'm glad you're going to be okay. I hope they find the S.O.B. that assaulted you, throw him in prison, and he gets his head bashed in for no good reason!

Thank you on that!!!

2013-03-06 1:15 PM

User image

Expert
Similar story from Taupo, NZ the week before IM NZ. Guy got buzzed, flipped off the driver, he turned around and came back and stiff armed the cyclist. Guy destroyed his acetabulum and the head of his femur was in his pelvis. My rule is to thank god when someone gets close and doesn't hit me and keep my hands down so I can ride another day. I do all of my rides under 1 1/2 hours on the trainer.
2013-03-06 1:23 PM
in reply to: #4642585

User image

New user

McKinney
how about just wear this jersey???

Edited by Harbo99 2013-03-06 1:26 PM

(jersey.png)

Attachments
----------------
jersey.png (93KB - 6 downloads)
2013-03-06 1:33 PM
in reply to: #4648838

New user

Byram

Harbo99 - 2013-03-06 1:23 PM how about just wear this jersey???

Where can i get that...lolol?

2013-03-08 11:03 PM
in reply to: #4648822

New user

Byram
leftrunner - 2013-03-06 1:15 PMSimilar story from Taupo, NZ the week before IM NZ. Guy got buzzed, flipped off the driver, he turned around and came back and stiff armed the cyclist. Guy destroyed his acetabulum and the head of his femur was in his pelvis. My rule is to thank god when someone gets close and doesn't hit me and keep my hands down so I can ride another day. I do all of my rides under 1 1/2 hours on the trainer.
That's dang bad !!!

2013-03-10 1:23 PM

User image

metafizx - 2013-02-28 2:52 PM

I may be out f the norm here but where I come from,  if you flip someone the bird, its an invitation to fight.  People do it so carelessly because they havent had their butt kicked because of it.  I have, when I was 20.  I don't flip people the bird often and when I do, I freakin' mean it.  Never on my bike.  I'm not going to challenge someone in a car.  The cyclist is very lucky that he did not get run over or worse, as has been mentioned in previous posts.   We like to believe we are a civilized society but we've got a huge number of powder-keg, unhappy folks out on the roads looking to be badasses cause they spend too much time on the internet acting tough.  Those are the types of folks who will run you over in a moment of blind rage. 

I dont believe in fighting or silly notions of proving your masculinity or any of that crap, but we are still pretty much animals and do animal things.  We get all puffed up  and bird flippy cause we don't actually have to get physical too often, if ever, with other people.

Edited by Ahedges 2013-03-10 1:26 PM
2013-03-10 8:18 PM
in reply to: #4653742

New user

Byram
Ahedges - 2013-03-10 1:23 PM

I may be out f the norm here but where I come from,  if you flip someone the bird, its an invitation to fight.  People do it so carelessly because they havent had their butt kicked because of it.  I have, when I was 20.  I don't flip people the bird often and when I do, I freakin' mean it.  Never on my bike.  I'm not going to challenge someone in a car.  The cyclist is very lucky that he did not get run over or worse, as has been mentioned in previous posts.   We like to believe we are a civilized society but we've got a huge number of powder-keg, unhappy folks out on the roads looking to be badasses cause they spend too much time on the internet acting tough.  Those are the types of folks who will run you over in a moment of blind rage. 

I dont believe in fighting or silly notions of proving your masculinity or any of that crap, but we are still pretty much animals and do animal things.  We get all puffed up  and bird flippy cause we don't actually have to get physical too often, if ever, with other people.

I am the guy and I did not flip him off. Please read. I don't think I'm tough.......like I said please read
2013-03-11 11:10 AM
in reply to: #4654188

User image

Stormsgate - 2013-03-10 9:18 PM
Ahedges - 2013-03-10 1:23 PM

I am the guy and I did not flip him off. Please read. I don't think I'm tough.......like I said please read

I'm sorry, I did not mean to imply that you were egging this dude on and I did read that you did not flip the guy the bird.  I was speaking in general terms and lots of cyclists do flip the bird.  My main point I was trying to get across is that we live in an increasingly angry population and its dangerous to provoke anybody, especially as flipping the bird is increasingly done and not considered a big deal.

I don't excuse what this guy did to you by any means.  Please accept my apology if my post came across as a scolding or anyhing of that nature.

2013-03-11 1:26 PM
in reply to: #4640958

User image

Master
Burlington, Vermont

popsracer - 2013-02-28 4:24 PM Doesn't matter how big or tough you are when staring down a barrel.  Just too many crazies out there.  I have lost it with people driving by but the older I get the more I just let it go.  You will not change them and with some I think they just wish for an excuse to lash out.

Yup. Additionally, I remind myself that if they don't take it out on me then and there, they'll probably take it out on the next cyclist (or runner) they come across. I bite my tongue to, hopefully, keep it from landing on someone else.

New Thread
General Discussion Triathlon Talk » road rage on a cyclist Rss Feed  

of 3