General Discussion Triathlon Talk » road rage on a cyclist Rss Feed  
Moderators: k9car363, alicefoeller Reply

of 3

2013-02-28 1:52 PM

User image

Master
Kailua, Hawaii
Subject: road rage on a cyclist

even if he did flip him the bird, there's no reason to assault the cyclist...driver should be charged !

http://www.msnewsnow.com/story/21416790/byram-cyclist-hospitalized-after-road-rage-incident

2013-02-28 2:24 PM
in reply to: #4640758

User image

Veteran
Southampton, Ontario
Subject: RE: road rage on a cyclist
People seem to be getting crazier everyday. Hopefully the guy recovers okay.
2013-02-28 2:51 PM

User image

Expert
South Florida

Never a good idea to be making hand gestures at rednecks in pickup trucks in Mississippi, no matter what was meant.

Good thing Cletis didn't decide to pull out the shotgun.

2013-02-28 2:58 PM

User image

Sounds like more than just road rage.  However, I always try to do my best, if someone goes by me too close, I try to hold my "hand", but honestly sometimes it just goes up in a "wtf" gesture of its own accord.  Even if there's no finger I could see how it could be taken that way, and it's just too risky as the story points out, might set someone off.   Kinda sad, but unless someone does something seriously aggressive (and sometimes even then), it's usually better to just sit and take it and be alive.

If it's a soccer mom and I can tell that, all bets are off, cuz I can probably take her 

Edited by ChrisM 2013-02-28 2:58 PM
2013-02-28 3:04 PM

User image

Master
Another reason to consider a Go-Pro type video camera on the bike.
2013-02-28 3:04 PM
in reply to: #4640906

User image

Master
Kailua, Hawaii
ChrisM - 2013-02-28 9:58 AM

Sounds like more than just road rage.  However, I always try to do my best, if someone goes by me too close, I try to hold my "hand", but honestly sometimes it just goes up in a "wtf" gesture of its own accord.  Even if there's no finger I could see how it could be taken that way, and it's just too risky as the story points out, might set someone off.   Kinda sad, but unless someone does something seriously aggressive (and sometimes even then), it's usually better to just sit and take it and be alive.

If it's a soccer mom and I can tell that, all bets are off, cuz I can probably take her 

agree. I always think it's best to let sleeping dogs lie. no telling what people will do (or dogs )

Edited by metafizx 2013-02-28 3:05 PM

2013-02-28 3:07 PM

User image

ChrisM - 2013-02-28 10:58 AM

I don't know...I've seen some youtube videos of angry soccer moms...

2013-02-28 3:11 PM

Master
, California
It's also good to ride with a friend whenever possible.  There's less chance of an incident with two of you and you have a witness / someone to help if something does happen.
2013-02-28 3:12 PM

User image

Sensei
Sin City
ChrisM - 2013-02-28 12:58 PM

I agree.  It sucks though sometimes!

Between you and me and the entire internet that may read this post (so a small group?).  I'm pretty passive but I have an internal struggle with it sometimes.  It's tough to just "take it" and still feel like man (yes, a bit caveman-ish).

I mean I'm big, strong and had years and years of MA and MMA training.  I honestly feel I can hold my own and RARELY feel outright intimidation by anyone (even pro MMA guys that litter the streets in Vegas).  Now, I have seen some pro heavyweights or pro linemen and get a little nervous! 

Even when the wife get's comments and cat calls, I pretty much stare and move along and DON'T get into it.  The only time that changes is if anyone lays a hand on her.  Shoot, shove, push me and I won't don anything, but don't touch her.

But, I go home after some such instances of club rage, or d-bags out on the road or wherever, and sort of kick myself for doing NOTHING.  But in most cases, NOTHING is the safe thing.

2013-02-28 3:24 PM

User image

Pro
Bellingham, WA
Doesn't matter how big or tough you are when staring down a barrel.  Just too many crazies out there.  I have lost it with people driving by but the older I get the more I just let it go.  You will not change them and with some I think they just wish for an excuse to lash out.
2013-02-28 5:07 PM
in reply to: #4640920

User image

Austin, Texas or Jupiter, Florida
tri808 - 2013-02-28 3:07 PM
ChrisM - 2013-02-28 10:58 AM

I don't know...I've seen some youtube videos of angry soccer moms...

They're usually the ones who are packing heat (don't want to turn this into a gun thread, but it's true).

I came to the realization that yelling, gesturing, etc from my bike is pointless at 5:45am on a rainy day as a Cabbie slowed-down to tell me I wasn't following the traffic laws because I was in his way when there's a bike lane.   I found myself in a running dialog with a Cabbie at 2 lights and a stop-sign after that for no good reason.  

No iron was flashed, it was just stupid facing stupid.  Now I just hold my tongue and my temper.

2013-02-28 5:15 PM

User image

Champion
Montague Gold Mines, Nova Scotia
ChrisM - 2013-02-28 4:58 PM

I don't flip people off anymore but I usually say something and will often raise my hand in the wtf igesture especially if they are too close. I've gotten better with swearing and flipping the bird as much of my riding outside of commuting is with juniors and I don't need them going home and telling their parents about me flipping off and yelling at drivers.

This year I dealt with my first aggressive driver; laid on the horn for about 5s while behind me, pulled up beside me, started yelling at me and then when he pulled past me, swerved toward me and I had to brake and swerve to avoid his bumper. Too busy keeping the rubberside down to get the license plate and although I could have caught up at the next light to get it, I figured discretion was the best course of action so just sat up and soft pedaled.

Shane
2013-02-28 8:23 PM

User image

Veteran
Southampton, Ontario
I hope you got a license plate Shane, stuff like that needs to be reported
2013-02-28 10:48 PM

User image

Damn, between everyone getting run over, run off the road, cussed at and punched it makes me wanna carry and wear armor on my upcoming rides.Frown
2013-03-01 1:10 AM
in reply to: #4641432

The closet I came was being buzzed by a Michigan State Trooper, and no one was coming in the other direction.  My imature response was to flip him off and yell a nice comment to go with it.  I am sure he was laughing.  I had two teenage boys in the one hick town I ride though pull up and call me and comment on my tights for two summers.  They never came close so I would wink, smile and wave at them.  I remember being that age.

As bad as you  may want there is no winning with a driver.  They can always came back around and take a second pass at you.

2013-03-01 4:23 AM
in reply to: #4641540

User image

Extreme Veteran
Maryland
Puppetmaster - 2013-03-01 1:10 AM

The closet I came was being buzzed by a Michigan State Trooper, and no one was coming in the other direction.  My imature response was to flip him off and yell a nice comment to go with it.  I am sure he was laughing.  I had two teenage boys in the one hick town I ride though pull up and call me and comment on my tights for two summers.  They never came close so I would wink, smile and wave at them.  I remember being that age.

As bad as you  may want there is no winning with a driver.  They can always came back around and take a second pass at you.

I always get silly comments about my tights as well. Seems never ending around these parts. so much, that i had to change my route to a safer one with a wider bike lane.

2013-03-01 6:34 AM

User image

Expert
I'm just curious how he got so banged up with a helmet on. Now if he was riding on a road like they described (no shoulder) without a heer then I do question his judgement.

This is no excuse to what happened though.
2013-03-01 1:39 PM

User image

Expert
South Florida

Not all the cars are trying to kill us. I was riding through a fairly rough section of my town when a mid 80's sedan with giant wheels and a purple metal flake paint job pulled up next to me at a light. Both windows on my side rolled down, and I thought "oh this is not good"

Inside were four young guys who were wildly excited about how fast I was going when they saw me earlier. They were bouncing up and down inside the car telling me they had never seen anyone able to keep up with traffic on a bicycle and had made a u-turn to try and pace me.

2013-03-01 2:07 PM
in reply to: #4641280

User image

DaveL - 2013-02-28 6:23 PM I hope you got a license plate Shane, stuff like that needs to be reported

Yeah, here is where my emotions get the better of me.  If someone is basically clueless and buzzes me, or frankly is trying to make a statement, I can keep my cool.  SOmeone that uses their car as a weapon against me, is going to have me turning myself inside out to do the best I can to catch you at the next light and get some identifying information.

What if the d bag swerves toward you , loses control for just a second, hand slips, whatever, the results could be deadly.  I would not hesitate to use every hand gesture available in that instance.

2013-03-01 2:22 PM

User image

Veteran
Newport, North Carolina

so being an advocate for personal defense, mainly the reason why I am a registered gun owner and a proud owner of a concealed carry permit.  You never know who your going to run into while your out there and if your riding around on a $2000 bike in hick town with cycling clothing, people are gonna talk and sometimes start sh**.  Its inevitable. I ride with my pistol, unloaded of course but with the rounds within reach if needed.    Another method would be to keep a small can of hornet spray in your goodie bag.  The spray can reach up to 5 feet and cause temporary blindness, enough time to get out of there.

We could always start doing what cruisers do on their motorcycles, attach leather whips with beads to our handlebars and smack the car for getting to close.

2013-03-01 2:31 PM
in reply to: #4642495

User image

Sensei
Sin City

I guess...  Seems weird since cyclists are concerned to get rid of grams off their bike to add over a lb of steel/brass/lead in the form of an unloaded gun for something that I probably have heard only twice in 20 years that did any help or could have been used.

But I'm all for it if it makes you feel better.  Since that should be the LAST option, I tend to focus on easier solutions.  Ride with a group, ride safer routes, safer times, etc.

2013-03-01 2:35 PM

User image

Veteran
Newport, North Carolina
well of course that would be the last option and since San Diego is very bike friendly I dont take it with me as often, depends on the distance and location (rural, suburban, desert..etc)
2013-03-01 2:37 PM

User image

Veteran
Newport, North Carolina
but if someone gets out of their vehicle,slapping their head and acting cracked out I am not one for being on the losing end of that fight.
2013-03-01 2:44 PM
in reply to: #4642525

User image

Sensei
Sin City

Like I said.  It's all about comfort.

That scenario, IF it happened, doesn't concern me that much.  So far, after 44 years, nothing remotely like that has happened in ANY situation to me.

The only situation for me that warrent unease is going up against a group or someone that has a gun themselves.  Other than that, I feel comfortable enough to defend myself.

Nothing agaist your wishes to carry though.  That's your right.  I carry during backwoods camping/hiking - mostly for emergencies against wildlife and THAT has never happened to me either.  It just makes me feel more comfortable.  I also base it in MY world, I have heard more instances of wildlife attacks than crack head attacks.

2013-03-01 2:46 PM
in reply to: #4642495

User image

Extreme Veteran
chrismcturnan - 2013-03-01 2:22 PM

so being an advocate for personal defense, mainly the reason why I am a registered gun owner and a proud owner of a concealed carry permit.  You never know who your going to run into while your out there and if your riding around on a $2000 bike in hick town with cycling clothing, people are gonna talk and sometimes start sh**.  Its inevitable. I ride with my pistol, unloaded of course but with the rounds within reach if needed.    Another method would be to keep a small can of hornet spray in your goodie bag.  The spray can reach up to 5 feet and cause temporary blindness, enough time to get out of there.

We could always start doing what cruisers do on their motorcycles, attach leather whips with beads to our handlebars and smack the car for getting to close.

What is your CCW of choice?  You carry on the back?

New Thread
General Discussion Triathlon Talk » road rage on a cyclist Rss Feed  

of 3