PAL & Manasota Track Club
50F / 10C
Overcast
Total Time = 35m 17s
Overall Rank = 255/425
Age Group = M55-59
Age Group Rank = 5/6
Pre-race routine:

Up at 5:30AM. Got dressed. Had coffee & some whole wheat toast with peanutbutter. Left at about 6:30AM Race was only two miles from my house, so only took a couple of minutes to get there. Sub 50 deg when I arrived, so kept my warm-up jacket on until about 20 before the start.
Event warmup:

Walked around. Did just enough easy running to get my heart rate and breathing going.
Run
  • 35m 17s
  • 3.11 miles
  • 11m 21s  min/mile
Comments:

Just went with the flow for the first mile or so; stayed on my 3:1 run/walk schedule. 12K runners split off about mile 2, and 5Kers headed back. Tried to run a steady pace for mile 2. Took last walk break just past mile 3 marker, then tried to push hard the rest of the way. Forgot to hit my split button at mile 2, so just listed an average of the total time. Didn't stop at either water station.
What would you do differently?:

Probably could have started pushing harder about the halfway point. Still learning how to pace a 5K.
Post race
Warm down:

Walked around for a few minutes and sipped some water. Started to get a little chilled so went back to the car to get my jacket, before grabbing some food and heading to the awards ceremony.

What limited your ability to perform faster:

Getting better at pacing, but could have done better job from the middle of the race on. Wore my Nike running tights due to cold; might have gone faster in just shorts, but glad I had the tights when it got cooler and started to drizzle rain at the finish. Losing more weight would always help.

Event comments:

Second 5K this year. Used it a part of my prep for the Sarasota Half Marathon in a couple of weeks. PR and a 5th place AG medal, so overall a good outing.

Last updated: 2013-03-01 12:00 AM
Running
00:35:17 | 03.11 miles | 11m 21s  min/mile
Age Group: 5/6
Overall: 0/425
Performance: Good
Mile #1 10:50 Mile #2 11:40* Mile #3 11:40* *Ave of total time for miles 2&3.
Course: Residential streets through Palmer Ranch area, with last 0.1 to finish on grass. Flat.
Keeping cool Average Drinking Just right
Post race
Weight change: %
Overall: Average
Mental exertion [1-5] 4
Physical exertion [1-5] 4
Good race? Yes
Evaluation
Course challenge Just right
Organized? Yes
Events on-time? Yes
Lots of volunteers? Yes