General Discussion Introduce Yourself!!! » COUCH TO IRONMAN FINISHER IN SIX MONTHS Rss Feed  
Moderators: IndoIronYanti, k9car363, alicefoeller Reply

of 2

2013-03-29 11:03 AM

User image

Subject: COUCH TO IRONMAN FINISHER IN SIX MONTHS

Hmm... I just finished a major lifestyle shift, where I went from zero athletic training since highschool (I am 31) to doing a full length Ironman in just 6 months.   I called it COUCH TO IRONMAN in just 6 months (i know very original).

I figured after I've gotten so much from this site i might as well create an account and start giving back.  Hello everybody.

2013-03-29 1:07 PM
in reply to: #4679190

User image

Veteran
Subject: RE: COUCH TO IRONMAN FINISHER IN SIX MONTHS

Iron Aaron

"You have to set a goal, make a plan, and then follow it based on your schedule not based on your feelings."

Thanks for the race report I will be doing the IM70.3 in Cozumel in Sept.

Edited by 1_Mad_Madone 2013-03-29 1:07 PM
2013-03-29 5:25 PM

User image

Great! You will love Cozumel. The course is absolutely stunning. Be ready for harsh currents on the swim though, there is a nasty riptide current off the shoreline during the last leg.
2013-03-30 7:55 PM

User image

Expert
Aaron - Congrats on your IM and more importantly on your life style change!  Keep it up and kudos for your desire to give back!
2013-04-02 8:20 AM

User image

thanks buddy!  i can't wait to dig in.  This year's goal is two half ironman races... next year... two full... giddy up
2013-04-02 8:31 AM

User image

Here's an Idea, let's use this String to answer any questions on making the change into IronMan quickly.  I'll check back here frequently to answer questions.  I love the sport and this year i want to take a group of people to the half iron with me.  On top of that, next year i want to bring at least 5 others with me to mexico for the Cozumel full.  Any takers?

2013-04-02 8:03 PM

User image

Veteran
Houston, TX
Wow. That is quite the transition and accomplishment. When you got off the couch, what was your level of fitness?

I could barely run a mile in 12 minutes soat 6 months, I was thinking sprint not IM
2013-04-03 10:42 AM
in reply to: #4684306

User image

Well, I hadn't done anything athletic in 15 years.... soooo I couldn't even run a mile... I walked / jogged / crawled my first mile and it took me over 15 minutes.  I wasn't over weight, just really out of shape...

You can totally jump in head first.  Have your goal to finish and it changes the entire equation.  a 90 minute swim, 7 hour bike, and 6 hour run are very achievable and very reasonable for a full IronMan.  Plus that still leaves you TWO HOURS of fluff time to goof off or chill if you run into trouble.  Start there, then once you've got the medal under your belt, go for time if you want to. 

Edited by IronAaron 2013-04-03 10:45 AM
2013-04-03 12:07 PM

User image

Champion
Sarasota, FL

Not to sound too cynical, but what exactly are you selling here?  Coaching?   Financial Advice?  Life Skills Training? 

Mark

2013-04-03 4:48 PM

couch to ironman in 6 months?

I imagine that you have to cut out a lot- like job, kids, spouse, basic responsibilities. Just take care of yourself for 6 months? Not many people have that luxury (or even the desire to cut out everything else.)

Although, I might actually want to send my kids someplace for a few months!
2013-04-04 11:47 AM
in reply to: #4685212

RedCorvette - 2013-04-03 12:07 PM

Not to sound too cynical, but what exactly are you selling here?  Coaching?   Financial Advice?  Life Skills Training? 

Mark

Edited by 1234run 2013-04-04 11:48 AM

2013-04-05 12:11 PM
in reply to: #4685212

New user
Akron
RedCorvette - 2013-04-03 1:07 PM

Mark

7 minute Abs! Everybody knows 7 is the key number!

Regardless thanks for the good race report.  Congrats.

2013-04-05 12:58 PM
in reply to: #4685039

User image

Veteran
Great White North
Good for you but no thanks. I would rather do a more lengthy build up especially for the run. 14-15 hours on course does not sound like fun. I plan to end my suffering in the 10 hour range.
2013-04-08 10:00 AM
in reply to: #4685745

User image

Wow.  Not to sound surprised or annoyed, but.... that's not really the kind of comment I was prepared for... I am not selling anything.  Just giving away free info and hoping I can help some other people experience the same freedom I enjoy in my own life.  there is no cost for anything I offer, it's just a website with info on what I've been through and what I've learned.

Anyway, just trying to help, not make money or step on toes or make anybody angry...  I just love the sport and want others to love it as much as me and feel empowered to do it.  Same goes for money and family.  I want people to feel empowered to accomplish what they dream.

2013-04-08 10:10 AM
in reply to: #4685745

User image

I've heard stuff like this from people before, and it always makes me laugh.

Training for an IronMan does not have to take over your entire life, as some folks believe.  Certainly it CAN do that, and for some it's the lifestyle choice that makes sence.  I would never think someone who trains to the point of completing in under 10 hours is making a bad choice.   However, what makes me laugh is the assumption that family and basic responsibilities musts be abandoned just to complete one.

the Ironman isn't just for wealthy single business owners with all the time and money in the world.  I have twin daughters and a wife who I love, additionally I am a full time engineer, and I own my own business.  Training for the ironman was not something that took away from these things, quite the opposite.  I found that the training and inclusion of family and others in my goals and training cultivated deeper relationships and a higher quality of family life.  It even helped me at my job as my colleges rallied behind my goals and we were able to work closer as a team on work tasks.  Additionally, I didn't have to spend a small fortune to accomplish it, in fact the first four months of training were on a mountain bike just because I didn't have anything else!  and the race bike i used was borrowed!  HAHA

Anyway, I believe that anything you can conceive can be achieved, and doing an ironman is not an exception, regardless of time or financial flexibility.  On average I trained between 8-12 hours a week, hardly a strangling commitment, and half those hours were spent with family mutually training (though i do not miss pulling my twins behind me as I rode my bike haha)

2013-04-08 10:15 AM
in reply to: #4688336

User image

simpsonbo - 2013-04-05 12:58 PM Good for you but no thanks. I would rather do a more lengthy build up especially for the run. 14-15 hours on course does not sound like fun. I plan to end my suffering in the 10 hour range.

You're clearly a rock-star!  Yeah, my training time was limited, as well as the level of fitness I could achieve in 6 months!  Some people go for finishing in shorter times.  Some people have more time to train or money to invest in equipment haha! My bike was a hand me down that is about 10 years old but it works!

Either way, hopefully after some more experience with the sport i can climb to a 10ish hour time... that is assuming my wife will let me spend that much time training lol

2013-04-08 10:40 AM
in reply to: #4691241

User image

Champion
Sarasota, FL
IronAaron - 2013-04-08 11:00 AM

Wow.  Not to sound surprised or annoyed, but.... that's not really the kind of comment I was prepared for... I am not selling anything.  Just giving away free info and hoping I can help some other people experience the same freedom I enjoy in my own life.  there is no cost for anything I offer, it's just a website with info on what I've been through and what I've learned.

Anyway, just trying to help, not make money or step on toes or make anybody angry...  I just love the sport and want others to love it as much as me and feel empowered to do it.  Same goes for money and family.  I want people to feel empowered to accomplish what they dream.

From your website:

I offer people the opportunity to make additional part-time income and or own
their own business. I educate families on money, how it it works, and how to get
it working for them. I teach people the rules that the banks, lenders,
insurance, and credit card companies follow but don't want us to know! Contact
me today to learn more.             

If you're just giving away free info, why don't you just post it all rather than making people contact you?  

Mark      

2013-04-08 10:49 AM

New user
Akron
I would never, in six months, had the confidence needed to face the swim.  I have my first half distance this summer in Lake Erie.   In the pool I'm good, but I need a few shorter races to build my confidence.   I work full-time, attending full-time night classes for my own mech eng undergrad.   I can only train a few times a week.  Right now its all about finishing.  I should be completing my degree about the same time I plan on attempting the full distance.  Maybe afterwards I'll try for speed, untill then my goal is finish, a respectable time is my second priority.
2013-04-08 10:58 AM
in reply to: #4691367

User image

jlenze - 2013-04-08 10:49 AM I would never, in six months, had the confidence needed to face the swim.  I have my first half distance this summer in Lake Erie.   In the pool I'm good, but I need a few shorter races to build my confidence.   I work full-time, attending full-time night classes for my own mech eng undergrad.   I can only train a few times a week.  Right now its all about finishing.  I should be completing my degree about the same time I plan on attempting the full distance.  Maybe afterwards I'll try for speed, untill then my goal is finish, a respectable time is my second priority.

Holy smoke you are all over it!  Way to be taking life by the horns!  There is nothing shoddy about having a goal of just finishing champ, and anybody who says different is just intimidated by your big thinking!  I say go for it!  Also, major high-five for the night time eng degree, that takes major smarts.  Let me know if you have any questions about training-to-finish or about the engineering industry.  I'd be happy to help.

You should have no trouble finishing if you just put in the basic time and effort.  It's a long distance to be sure, but there really is ample time to finish if you just pace yourself.  I'm excited for you!  Keep me posted!

2013-04-08 11:08 AM
in reply to: #4691333

User image

RedCorvette - 2013-04-08 10:40 AM
IronAaron - 2013-04-08 11:00 AM

From your website:

I offer people the opportunity to make additional part-time income and or own
their own business. I educate families on money, how it it works, and how to get
it working for them. I teach people the rules that the banks, lenders,
insurance, and credit card companies follow but don't want us to know! Contact
me today to learn more.             

If you're just giving away free info, why don't you just post it all rather than making people contact you?  

Mark      

I am honored that you have checked me out!  Thanks and I really appreciate the curiosity brother!  All the information I offer and teach is available free, I've never charged for what I teach and never will.  It's not that I am holding back, it's just that it's rather difficult to cover everything with just typed words... usually It helps to be face to face, or at least be able to draw a diagram or two... I am sure you can understand that lol... additionally, that website has a character limit, and  for me to explain the principals I am talking about with just a few characters would be just impossible.  I did my best with the space I had.

Also, for me to go into it in a forum about triathlon training seems to be a bit off the mark.  However, if you would like more information, shoot me an email!  I have helped many families get out of debt and achieve freedom with their finances and am happy to continue doing so.  My email is on my website too.

2013-04-10 7:39 AM

User image

Hey, quick question... I am doing two half Ironman distance races this year locally in Central NY.  The Musselman and the Peasant man.  Is there somewhere here dedicated to talking about those two events?  or should I start a string in NY just for them??

2013-04-10 9:19 AM
in reply to: #4694355

User image

Champion
Lost in the Luminiferous Aether

Look in the Iron Disatance section of the forum. Ithas both IMs and IM70.3s

2013-04-10 11:45 AM
in reply to: #4694355

User image

Extreme Veteran
Nisbet, PA

Congratulations!  I am not quite that ambitious.  I do hope to go from essentially the couch to the B2B HIM in seven months though.  I say essentially because I lost two months of training this winter to bronchitis/pneumonia and abdominal surgery.  When I bought my BT Silver last week I chose the Couch to Sprint plan, but find myself blasting the swim and ride portions.  The greatest obstacle for me, in ANY race, will always be the run.

But thank you for your post.  It gives me hope.

2013-04-16 2:31 PM
in reply to: #4694532

User image

trinnas - 2013-04-10 9:19 AM

Look in the Iron Disatance section of the forum. Ithas both IMs and IM70.3s

Found it!  thanks!

2013-04-17 7:50 AM
in reply to: #4694850

User image

You're a wild man.  All those challenges, plus where you're starting from, you're story is an amazing one!  I can't wait to read how it finishes!  Keep me posted brother and don't give up, it's not over till you say it is.
New Thread
General Discussion Introduce Yourself!!! » COUCH TO IRONMAN FINISHER IN SIX MONTHS Rss Feed  

of 2