Overall Rank = /
Age Group =
Age Group Rank = 0/
Run
  • 7h 57m 42s
  • 31.07 miles
  • 15m 22s  min/mile
Comments:

It had been drizzling all night and was still drizzling on race morning. During the course of the first lap I discovered that I had no idea how to run in mud. I kept running alongside the trail in the grass trying to prevent mud from building up but all I was really doing was alternately adding some mud and then some grass to the bottom of my shoes making huge adobe bricks. I noticed that the people who started passing me ran straight down the trail right in the mud so I did my best to scrape the bricks off my feet and did the same. I discovered that as soon as the mud became heavy, since there wasn't any grass to bind it together, it just fell off my shoes. However, I had already pretty much blown out my legs from trying to run fast with huge bricks on my feet so I started to slow considerably and then I stopped enjoying myself. I finally decided this was BS and that I was here to have a good time so after I ease way up and then at the end of my second lap I sat around at the start-finish area to wait for my wife to come through so I could run the last lap with her. We ended up having a great time.
What would you do differently?:

I didn't know it at the beginning of the race but apparently next time I do a trail run in the mud and rain I won't try and avoid the mud, I'll avoid the grass instead.
Post race

Last updated: 2013-02-18 12:00 AM
Running
07:57:42 | 31.07 miles | 15m 22s  min/mile
Age Group: 0/
Overall: 0/
Performance: Below average
Course: I'm biased about this course because everytime I come to San Antonio I run McAllister Park. It's an awesome place to get in some trail running in the middle of a large metro area. The 50K is three loops around the course and flat. In order to get the distance there is a lot of weaving around witht he course doubling back on itself several times but no out and backs. It's probably 75 to 80% tree cover and probably 98% single track.
Keeping cool Good Drinking Just right
Post race
Weight change: %
Overall: Below average
Mental exertion [1-5] 3
Physical exertion [1-5] 3
Good race? Yes
Evaluation
Course challenge Just right
Organized? Yes
Events on-time? Yes
Lots of volunteers? Yes