General Discussion Triathlon Talk » triPATHlon Chastain Rss Feed  
Moderators: k9car363, alicefoeller Reply
2013-04-09 9:05 AM

Subject: triPATHlon Chastain

Anyone doing the tripathlon at Chastain? I've got my first Tri June 1 (blalock lakes), but I just saw this and was intrigued by the idea of a short pool swim to get some experience before the OWS and longer distance at Blalock lakes. Any thoughts? This race is May 5, too close to Blalock lakes for a first timer?

Thanks.

2013-04-09 9:24 AM
in reply to: #4692839

User image

Subject: RE: triPATHlon Chastain
I did this race last year.  The bike is really hard and hilly.  The swim is not bad but can get congested if slow people start ahead of you.  It was a well run race but if you don't like hills on the bike then you may want to skip it.
2013-04-09 9:53 AM

User image

Master
Atlanta, Georgia
I've done the race both years its been held...

I thought I'd hate the pool swim but it's really not that horrible(you can't do flip turns, tho) but the real signature of this race is the bike course. Hands down the toughest route I've ever raced in a sprint. It's only thirteen miles, I realize, but that's thirteen miles of misery - LOL!! The run around Chastain is easy-peasy once you're through T2, though.

Blalock not until June, right? You should be fine doing both...

Best of luck with your training.
2013-04-15 12:15 PM

User image

Expert
Atlanta, GA
I've done it the first two years and signed up this year.  Swim is a little bit of a cluster but won't cost you terribly.  I just kind of noodle through it.  Bike course is kind of diabolical if you're going hard and some of the roads are typical Atlanta, not that great.  Very hilly and can cook the legs quickly.  Run course is a touch hilly also with a couple of short steeper sections.  It's a fun race and local so why not right?
New Thread
General Discussion Triathlon Talk » triPATHlon Chastain Rss Feed