General Discussion Triathlon Talk » Best ways to increase biking speed Rss Feed  
Moderators: k9car363, alicefoeller Reply

of 6

2013-04-24 2:18 PM
in reply to: #4713681

User image

Not a Coach
Media, PA
Subject: RE: Best ways to increase biking speed
tomspharmacy - 2013-04-24 2:57 PM

But if I may add, to ride at higher speeds for longer periods of time, you need not only the aerobic endurance, BUT more importantly you need the leg strength.  I've done cycling off and on for 25 years, but it wasn't until this past year that I realized that beside riding more, I need specific leg strength.  What does this mean?

It means the strength specific to move your bike for a long period of time.  Often referred to as endurance.  Best way to achieve this?  Riding the bike.  'Gym strength' is nearly irrelevant for most riding any triathlete is doing.

2013-04-24 2:32 PM
in reply to: #4712761

User image

Folks...haven't we learned anything by now.

You don't go faster or increase speed on the bike.  You slow down less.

2013-04-24 2:50 PM

Master
Northern IL
tomspharmacy - 2013-04-24 1:57 PM

What doese this mean?  To go 21 to 23 mph avg. requires about 210 to 240w in aero positon for most people depending upon size and position, etc. but let's assume all is equal... 225 watts requires any person to push down on the pedal with approximately 20 to 24 kg (45 to 55 lbs.) of force with each pedal stroke and each leg independently (test whether you can do this on a leg press with a single leg, also consider the sled weight, but if you can't do a single 50lb leg press, then you're not going to be able to ride very long at 21 to 23 mph.

Could you expand on how you arrived at those power values from those forces. I seem to be mixing something up as I get noticeably higher power.

2013-04-24 2:52 PM
in reply to: #4713728

Master
Northern IL
tri808 - 2013-04-24 2:32 PM

Is this with or without an IM jacket?

2013-04-24 2:57 PM
in reply to: #4713728

User image

tri808 - 2013-04-24 12:32 PM

And get rid of that straw!!!!!!!!!!

2013-04-24 5:12 PM
in reply to: #4713708

User image

Extreme Veteran
Ajo
JohnnyKay - 2013-04-24 2:18 PM

But if I may add, to ride at higher speeds for longer periods of time, you need not only the aerobic endurance, BUT more importantly you need the leg strength.  I've done cycling off and on for 25 years, but it wasn't until this past year that I realized that beside riding more, I need specific leg strength.  What does this mean?

It means the strength specific to move your bike for a long period of time.  Often referred to as endurance.  Best way to achieve this?  Riding the bike.  'Gym strength' is nearly irrelevant for most riding any triathlete is doing.

Yes, the first part is correct, and the endurance is important too, I'm not saying it's all gym work.  But, if you can't push that force then you need to improve the strength... I'm advocating using gym as a way to accelerate and enhance gains that you get from riding. 

I'll use myself as an example:  I've ridden off and on, usu. the off and on periods have been seperated by large gaps.  I didn't get back into cycling until Spring '11, I stopped riding when I got married about 16 years ago.  I exercised still over that time, perhaps 3 - 4x per week... I mostly did gym workouts, some running here and there.

When I got back into cycling, I could only do 17 to 18 mph avg.. I did a Sprint triathlon in Nov. '11 and did the bike at about 20.5 mph after what about 2 months of riding around my town.  I bought an Ibike power meter in Jan '11 and tested my FTP, it was a paltry 205w, or about 21 mph for the 20 minute test... maxed out.  So, I bike more and more, ran more and more, followed some plans here on this site.  Then, I read ways to improve my biking ability... as I've discovered sometimes it's about rinding more, but about gaining strength at the same time... From Jan '11 to a recent FTP test, I've increased my FTP from 205 to 325w, BUT I believe that since I read that relationship of watts to kilograms of force, and regeared my winter training, I worked hard on my explosive strength with bike and weights and endurance at the same time.  Now my avg. HIM speed is 23 mph... my w/kg is 4.6... 

Can I seperate what gains I made from following training plans from gym workouts, No, but I can tell you that after I've gain another 3/4 inches of circumfernece on my thighs and hamstrings from several months of gym work, that I went to that 325w after plateauing around 290 to 300w at the end of last season.  And my goal is to reach 24 mph, but the workload and strength required for the extra 1 mph avg. speed is tremendous.  After St. George, I'm taking month off and going back to the gym to get stronger again.  There is a reason the solo cyclists have disapporiately large legs, and the elite marathoners doesn't mean that someone going to be a good cyclist.  Obviously, we're triathletes and we've got to have a balance of those sports.

This is my .02, I'm just trying to give another perspective.

2013-04-24 5:34 PM
in reply to: #4713976

Master
Northern IL

Could you elaborate on said relationship from kg to watts? Not quite seeing how you came up with the numbers. Fyi, kg is mass, not force.

I'm also having trouble understanding how people who can walk up stairs fine need lifting so badly as a typical adult will weigh at least twice any force listed.

2013-04-24 5:44 PM

User image

FTP 205 to 325 in two years?  Guess you must be doing something right.....
2013-04-24 6:41 PM

User image

tomspharmacy - 2013-04-24 12:12 PM  Now my avg. HIM speed is 23 mph... my w/kg is 4.6... 

What's your position like?

2013-04-24 7:01 PM

User image

Expert
Scottsdale, AZ
tomspharmacy - 2013-04-24 4:12 PM
JohnnyKay - 2013-04-24 2:18 PM

Yes, the first part is correct, and the endurance is important too, I'm not saying it's all gym work.  But, if you can't push that force then you need to improve the strength... I'm advocating using gym as a way to accelerate and enhance gains that you get from riding. 

I'll use myself as an example:  I've ridden off and on, usu. the off and on periods have been seperated by large gaps.  I didn't get back into cycling until Spring '11, I stopped riding when I got married about 16 years ago.  I exercised still over that time, perhaps 3 - 4x per week... I mostly did gym workouts, some running here and there.

When I got back into cycling, I could only do 17 to 18 mph avg.. I did a Sprint triathlon in Nov. '11 and did the bike at about 20.5 mph after what about 2 months of riding around my town.  I bought an Ibike power meter in Jan '11 and tested my FTP, it was a paltry 205w, or about 21 mph for the 20 minute test... maxed out.  So, I bike more and more, ran more and more, followed some plans here on this site.  Then, I read ways to improve my biking ability... as I've discovered sometimes it's about rinding more, but about gaining strength at the same time... From Jan '11 to a recent FTP test, I've increased my FTP from 205 to 325w, BUT I believe that since I read that relationship of watts to kilograms of force, and regeared my winter training, I worked hard on my explosive strength with bike and weights and endurance at the same time.  Now my avg. HIM speed is 23 mph... my w/kg is 4.6... 

Can I seperate what gains I made from following training plans from gym workouts, No, but I can tell you that after I've gain another 3/4 inches of circumfernece on my thighs and hamstrings from several months of gym work, that I went to that 325w after plateauing around 290 to 300w at the end of last season.  And my goal is to reach 24 mph, but the workload and strength required for the extra 1 mph avg. speed is tremendous.  After St. George, I'm taking month off and going back to the gym to get stronger again.  There is a reason the solo cyclists have disapporiately large legs, and the elite marathoners doesn't mean that someone going to be a good cyclist.  Obviously, we're triathletes and we've got to have a balance of those sports.

This is my .02, I'm just trying to give another perspective.

No offense but that's kind of like someone that ran cross country in their younger years taking 16 years off and posting a 17min 5k  a year after getting back into running and attributing it to the gym.  I'd argue it's much more attributable to years of volume/work put in and bringing it back around to present form.  Someone that has never tossed a leg over a bike is not going to see that return regardless of how many squats they do in the gym and are going to be much better suited to just ride the bike more.  

2013-04-24 7:19 PM

User image

Champion
Montague Gold Mines, Nova Scotia
tomspharmacy - 2013-04-24 3:57 PM

Unfortunately, while this all seems reasonable, it turns out that endurance sport is not strength limited.

I found an article on the internet last fall (I can't find it at the moment or I'd post the link, and will post when I find it) that showed the relationship between wattage power in newtons on the bike to gym weight kilograms.  Once I read this a light went off and I changed the way I do my gym workouts and my goal weights to lift. 

I assume you mean something like this?

Power = force * pedal speed

Where power is in watts, force is in newtons and pedal speed is meters per second (might also have used pedal radius and angular frequency). If you run the numbers, for a cadence of 90, a crank length of 175mm and a power of 400W, each leg is only applying a force of 540N or 54kg. Since most triathletes have an FTP well south of 400W and can walk or even run up stairs, it is not strength holding them back.

Consider also that you are using only 20 to 25% at best of your maximum leg strength when cycling, the rest of the energy is lost to sweating and other inefficiency losses.

I'm not sure what you are trying to say here.

And the article further stated that assuming all cyclists are equal in vo2max ability then the cyclist that wins is the one that is using the most force for the longest time.  Simple.

I'm not sure why one would think this is a reasonable assumption to make but even if we assume that, you can't say that the cyclist who generates the most force will win.

What doese this mean?  To go 21 to 23 mph avg. requires about 210 to 240w in aero positon for most people depending upon size and position, etc. but let's assume all is equal... 225 watts requires any person to push down on the pedal with approximately 20 to 24 kg (45 to 55 lbs.) of force with each pedal stroke and each leg independently (test whether you can do this on a leg press with a single leg, also consider the sled weight, but if you can't do a single 50lb leg press, then you're not going to be able to ride very long at 21 to 23 mph.

If someone can't do a single, one leg press of half their body weight or less, they have much bigger problems than averaging 23mph on a bike.

I continue... a newton converts almost 1:1 with kg...

Not quite, 10N is the weight of a 1kg mass on the surface of the Earth (roughly).

but you have to do this continuously over the length of the race, whatever that length is... furthermore, we're triathletes that have to run afterwards, so you're not going to use your entire energy reserve.

This is really the key; all triathlons are endurance events and, as such, endurance, not strength, is the limiter.

Also keep in mind that improving speed is logarithmic, that every increase in speed (i.e. 1 mph avg more) requires a greater increase in strength and so forth, that to go from 18 mph to 20 mph avg. is easy, but then to go from 20 to 22 requres 2x more strength than the previous 2 mph avg. increase.

Again, not quite. The power increase from 20 to 22 is only going to be about 1.3x the power increase from 18 to 20.

What does this mean?  it means that to go an avg of 21 - 23 mph, you'll need a maximum gym strength of around 2 to 2.5x or more of your body weight... since you'll only actually be using about 20% of that power to go the distance of say 56 miles of an HIM bike leg.

There is no correlation between maximum strength and sustainable aerobic power so one cannot conclude that being able to lift 2-2.5x body weight is required to ride 23mph.

Shane

2013-04-24 10:08 PM

Subject: ...
This user's post has been ignored.
2013-04-24 10:39 PM
in reply to: #4714065

Extreme Veteran
Ajo

No offense but that's kind of like someone that ran cross country in their younger years taking 16 years off and posting a 17min 5k  a year after getting back into running and attributing it to the gym.  I'd argue it's much more attributable to years of volume/work put in and bringing it back around to present form.  Someone that has never tossed a leg over a bike is not going to see that return regardless of how many squats they do in the gym and are going to be much better suited to just ride the bike more.  

None taken, you're probably right, I don't know, my running vo2max is pretty lame compared to other top runners though... at one point in my mid 20's, I was fast at cycling and running... since I was able to do the Army 2 mile test at around 11:30 to 12:00 minutes with minimal run training and I was cycling at high levels... I didn't understand it then, since I was ignorant on what I was doing.  I never participated in organized athletic sports though, except golf.

Bigb, I also probably got to a level after 1 year of training that got me close to my mid 40's natural abilities, at about 22 mph, but since I set my goals to be faster, I had to really dig in deep to find ways to overcome that platueau, and that's what I'm writing about... when I found all kinds of info on cycling improvement... going back to the gym, I believe, helped me get over that hump.  After all, the title of the OP is "Best ways to increase biking speed"... so I'm offering some suggestions among others.  I see this type of question pop up several times a week and usu. the same responses are given... ride more, ride harder... well maybe an additional approach is needed as well.

On the other guys post, as the "gangsta rap" song says, "don't quote me boy, I ain't legit"...  I'm not a scientist, nor "mathmatician... I played intelligence analyst in the Army though... ha, ha

But, force is how much donward pressure you can apply on the pedals, afterall the bike won't go anywhere without it.  That's part of the equation for bike speed; force x velocity = speed!!!  Whatever you want to call it.  My dad is a pharmacist/chemist and hates the use of the word ORGANIC for food, since all matter is organic... let's not argue over semantics and word games.

Weight / kg is a measurement created by Allen and Coggan to compare the abilities of the average Joe cyclist vs. a world class cyclist like Miguel Indurain, and it's a measure of how much output per kg of body weight.  So, anybody with a 4.6w/kg rating would be the same regardless of vo2max, size of body or whatever characteristic, I guess.

But anyways, the leg strength is neccessary as much as it can argued away.

Edited by tomspharmacy 2013-04-24 10:40 PM
2013-04-24 11:46 PM

Master
Overland Park, KS

Jasonhomey - 2013-04-23 10:57 PM I am looking at upcoming races in my area and looking at past results from the same races. I see that a lot of people usually bike around 21-23mph in these triathlons I have been looking at but I am no where near that pace. What do I need to do to get that kind of pace? First things first, my bike isn't a top of the line bike. I have a felt z95, very entry level bike. I don't have biking shoes either, I just ride in my tennis shoes or running shoes. That being said, I don't see what I am doing wrong on not at least being able to haul it around 21mph on fast training runs. Last year I did a duathlon and was able to muster 20+ mph during my race at 20 miles, but to have a chance of doing well at these triathlons, it seems I need to really improve my bike times. Any help is appreciated.

I was right where you are two years ago.  I did two things so not sure how much of the speed increase was for each:

1.  Rode more, mostly hard, sometimes easy

2.  Got clip-on aerobars and had them professionally fit to my road bike, ended up with new stem also.

Sprint speed was approx. 20-21 mph for 11-12 mile bike legs.  After about 1500 miles of riding plus the aerobars one year later my OLY distance speeds on the same courses as those sprints was 23 mph over double the distances, 23-24 mile bike legs.  My bike was a Marin Portofina at the time, aluminum frame with Sora components.  No race wheels, no aero helmet just the aerobars.

2013-04-24 11:59 PM
in reply to: #4714226

Master
Northern IL
tomspharmacy - 2013-04-24 10:39 PM

None taken, you're probably right, I don't know, my running vo2max is pretty lame compared to other top runners though... at one point in my mid 20's, I was fast at cycling and running... since I was able to do the Army 2 mile test at around 11:30 to 12:00 minutes with minimal run training and I was cycling at high levels... I didn't understand it then, since I was ignorant on what I was doing.  I never participated in organized athletic sports though, except golf.

Bigb, I also probably got to a level after 1 year of training that got me close to my mid 40's natural abilities, at about 22 mph, but since I set my goals to be faster, I had to really dig in deep to find ways to overcome that platueau, and that's what I'm writing about... when I found all kinds of info on cycling improvement... going back to the gym, I believe, helped me get over that hump.  After all, the title of the OP is "Best ways to increase biking speed"... so I'm offering some suggestions among others.  I see this type of question pop up several times a week and usu. the same responses are given... ride more, ride harder... well maybe an additional approach is needed as well.

On the other guys post, as the "gangsta rap" song says, "don't quote me boy, I ain't legit"...  I'm not a scientist, nor "mathmatician... I played intelligence analyst in the Army though... ha, ha

I don't think anyone is trying to discredit you, but rather help you understand what is going on. That way future "offerings" will have better explanation of what to do. There is admission of not really knowing the concepts, but then continuing to push the same thoughts as before instead of continuing to learn more about why things happened. The results you've had are not doubted, but the rationale as to why is being questioned.

But, force is how much donward pressure you can apply on the pedals, afterall the bike won't go anywhere without it.  That's part of the equation for bike speed; force x velocity = speed!!!  Whatever you want to call it.  My dad is a pharmacist/chemist and hates the use of the word ORGANIC for food, since all matter is organic... let's not argue over semantics and word games.

This is not merely semantics as concepts are being mixed up. This isn't po-tay-toe vs po-tah-toe, but thinking that apples and oranges are the same thing. For example:

Weight / kg is a measurement created by Allen and Coggan to compare the abilities of the average Joe cyclist vs. a world class cyclist like Miguel Indurain, and it's a measure of how much output per kg of body weight.  So, anybody with a 4.6w/kg rating would be the same regardless of vo2max, size of body or whatever characteristic, I guess.

It is watts/kg not weight. I think you know that, but did not express it correctly. The terms are quite different. Some things you just have to explain correctly or others can not really understand it. The expression is not quite meant to compare abilities Average Joe to a Miguel Indurain, but to even out a cyclist's size as a factor and then look at ability.

As explained before, the leg strength is not really a limitation unless someone has an issue they should see someone about. I've seen and experienced some initial gain from lifting, however, believe this can be attributed to simply learning how to push oneself much harder than before. Much more so than actual "strength" improvements from the lifting. Continuing to lift may get in the way of the aerobic improvements, though one could still make gains in both.

2013-04-25 7:02 AM

Extreme Veteran
, Kobenhavns Kommune

I found this video very interesting: 10 tips to get more aero on the bike. 

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Zf3q9ASKLts

Some of these tips won't cost you a $: Tip 8, ride on the hods not the drop downs, arms angle 90º on the hods is more aero than straight arms in the drops. Tip 4, don't wear gloves. Or tip 2, get your race number on right, don't ride with a sail dragging you back, more important than what wheels you're riding.

2013-04-25 7:10 AM
in reply to: #4714226

Champion
tomspharmacy - 2013-04-25 12:39 AM

But, force is how much donward pressure you can apply on the pedals, afterall the bike won't go anywhere without it.

Correct; force is applied to the pedals and this is how power is produced:

Power = Force * pedal speed, or more useful when dealing with cycling applications:
Power = Torque * angular velocity

That's part of the equation for bike speed; force x velocity = speed!!!

No, force * velocity = power which makes the bike move forward.

Whatever you want to call it.  My dad is a pharmacist/chemist and hates the use of the word ORGANIC for food, since all matter is organic... let's not argue over semantics and word games.

There is a reason why these words have a very specific definition and using them incorrectly leads to confusion which is why, IMO it is more than just arguing semantics.

Assuming you mean W/kg and it allows riders to complete a rough comparision based but it doesn't predict who the winner of any given race would be. In a hill climb, the rider with the greatest W/kg is at a great advantage but, even with identical VO2max numbers, one cannot simply say the rider with the great W/kg will win the race. In races that involve more variety in riding, then W/kg becomes less and less applicable and is least applicable in the bike races that are most similar to triathlon bike legs, the ITT. In the ITT, W/kg is pretty much meaningless (see Fabian Cancellara and Tony Martin who have much lower W/kg than several of the other riders but because they have great W/CdA, they destroy athletes with higher W/kg numbers than them (see Andy Schleck).

Yes, insofar as one is able to walk up the stairs. Assuming a 75kg athlete is able to climb a flight of stairs, they have all the strength they need to cycle at >1200W.

Shane
2013-04-25 7:14 AM
in reply to: #4714083

Champion
gsmacleod - 2013-04-24 9:19 PM

If you run the numbers, for a cadence of 90, a crank length of 175mm and a power of 400W, each leg is only applying a force of 540N or 54kg. Since most triathletes have an FTP well south of 400W and can walk or even run up stairs, it is not strength holding them back.

Oops!

Was thinking the force looked high when I ran the numbers but this morning I realized where I went wrong. For the given numbers above, each leg needs to only push with 240N which is equivalent to about 25kg.

Shane
2013-04-25 7:25 AM

Veteran
You have two choices, ride more or ride harder. More and harder is the best option. In order to get faster you are going to need to do intervals. 2 x 20 minute at or slightly above ftp/lthr and 6x4 minute intervals at VO2 max each twice a week is a good start for training for steady state efforts. I would also try to get 2 LSD base mile rides in a week as well. do it for three weeks then take a week off, then do a new 2 x 20 FTP test and start over. You can can do an interval work out and an LSD ride in the same day, but doing two interval workouts in one day is going to be rough.
2013-04-25 8:08 AM
in reply to: #4714343

Subject: ...
This user's post has been ignored.

Edited by Fred D 2013-04-25 8:08 AM
2013-04-25 8:18 AM

great thread evryone, thanks for posting,

please debate more

2013-04-25 9:27 AM

Champion
Dallas, TX
Read only the first page, did anyone mention getting clipless pedals and shoes?

That would help!

2013-04-25 9:48 AM
in reply to: #4714414

Master
Northern IL
Fred D - 2013-04-25 8:08 AM

That's just it. The actual force applied with each revolution isn't really all that much.... in fact I suspect it's much less than the forces invloved with each leg while running and absorbing the entire weight of the body and then lifting that said body forward with each running step.

And yet it's a very common mis-perception that leg 'strength training' is key to bike strength and not as much of a mis-perception for runners (ie; I don't see people saying to run faster you need to do more leg strength training etc)

I'm curious why that perception exists?

gsmacleod - Was thinking the force looked high when I ran the numbers but this morning I realized where I went wrong. For the given numbers above, each leg needs to only push with 240N which is equivalent to about 25kg. Shane

That's a very good observation that I would guess a lot of people don't put together. Somehow people can distinguish between a track sprinter and a long distance runner, but cyclists really are all just the same guy on a bike! No one expects Usaine Bolt and Haile Gebrselassie switch places, but many seem to have the perception that cyclists do much the same thing. There is a substantial difference between a sprinter that finishes the stage as such and a GC contender. And maybe more still when getting to the short track races.

2013-04-25 10:54 AM
in reply to: #4714361

Master
Centennial, CO

MikeK_PA - 2013-04-25 6:25 AM You have two choices, ride more or ride harder. More and harder is the best option. In order to get faster you are going to need to do intervals. 2 x 20 minute at or slightly above ftp/lthr and 6x4 minute intervals at VO2 max each twice a week is a good start for training for steady state efforts. I would also try to get 2 LSD base mile rides in a week as well. do it for three weeks then take a week off, then do a new 2 x 20 FTP test and start over. You can can do an interval work out and an LSD ride in the same day, but doing two interval workouts in one day is going to be rough.

I'd say this is a little bit of nonsense.  I have never done intervals, never done an FTP test and can ride plenty fast.

Simple truth is you have to work hard.  I found that riding with good riders made me a better cyclist.  I found climbing hills made me better at climbing.  And I found riding lots made me a stronger cyclist.

A little background (I ave. about 20-24 mph in races).  I rode a bunch when I was younger (think 20s).  Now in mid 40's I ride about 100-150/month.  Not a lot, but my base from when I was young (think ~200/week), got me to where I can do just fine.

Oh, and by the way all this FTP stuff really wasn't practiced much back in the days. (Old guy saying).

2013-04-25 11:05 AM
in reply to: #4714717

Master
Northern IL
velocomp - 2013-04-25 10:54 AM

Oh, and by the way all this FTP stuff really wasn't practiced much back in the days. (Old guy saying).

Yes it was, you just didn't know it. Wink

New Thread
General Discussion Triathlon Talk » Best ways to increase biking speed Rss Feed  

of 6