General Discussion Triathlon Talk » Best ways to increase biking speed Rss Feed  
Moderators: k9car363, alicefoeller Reply

of 6

2013-04-25 2:52 PM
in reply to: #4715163

User image

Champion
Montague Gold Mines, Nova Scotia
Subject: RE:
FranzZemen - 2013-04-25 4:45 PM

The % of mass and cross section of the bicycle relative to the human body is small.  Moreover, the % difference between an aero bike and a non-aero bike is even smaller.  So it takes quite a bit of wind to make that small component important.  Not sure you can decipher what that means, but....

You might want to check on common values of Crr and CdA before you make broad staements about the aero drag component compared to the rolling resistance component.

Anyways I feel like I'm taking crazy pills on this thread :-) Don't you guys ride?  You should know when aero becomes relevant.  So getting faster on a bike means being fit enough to get it into the zone where it is important.  And with that, I'm going to go invent the piano key necktie.

The one thing that looking into the physics and then testing with a power meter on the road has taught me is that what feels "fast" or "right" isn't always correct. Our bodies and minds will trick us but classical mechanics don't lie.

Shane

2013-04-25 2:53 PM
in reply to: #4715155

Fred D - 2013-04-25 12:39 PM

One interesting thing about this graph is it makes me think that tires with excellent rolling resistance (low) would be even more important for hill climbing, no?

ie; climbing many hills where I live is at best 10mph and thats where these forces seem to be highest c.f. 20mph speeds.

Is this true?

Crr scales exactly like slope so every improvement in Crr of .001 is exactly like a change in slope of .001 (that is, 0.1%). That is, if you look at the power equation, it looks like

watts = crr * mass * g *v + slope * mass * g * v + 0.5 * rho * CdA * v^3 + acceleration

or

watts = (crr+slope) * mass * g * v + aero and acceleration stuff

That's why if you want to make a good estimate of Crr from field tests you'll want to know the slope, because the effects look the same. But in a larger sense, if you climb a hill, you often get to descend it while increased Crr is always there. Remember that the Crr you see in tables like AFM's are for smooth rollers so you have to multiply by a "surface roughness" for real roads; a typical multiplier is something like 1.5 to 2.0 though for really crappy roads (that's a technical term) it can be higher. The difference between a good rollling resistance tire and a poor rolling resistance tire (*cough* Tufo *cough*) can be something like .003 or .004 which over the length of an 180km IM bike leg is like climbing an extra 500m hill.

2013-04-25 2:54 PM
in reply to: #4715172

User image

Veteran
Grapevine, TX
JohnnyKay - 2013-04-25 2:49 PM
FranzZemen - 2013-04-25 3:45 PM

Anyways I feel like I'm taking crazy pills on this thread :-) Don't you guys ride?  You should know when aero becomes relevant.  So getting faster on a bike means being fit enough to get it into the zone where it is important.  And with that, I'm going to go invent the piano key necktie.

The only crazy part is you not understanding the laws of physics.  Aero becomes relevant as soon as you decide you want to go as fast as possible.  If you don't care about that until you get up to 20mph (or whatever speed you choose), so be it.  Most of us care as soon as the gun goes off.

Duh!   We all have the same disease.

The point is if you want to get faster and you're in the teens mph, focus on fitness.  Buy the aero bike but expect to get the gains only as a function of higher speeds.

2013-04-25 2:56 PM
in reply to: #4715163

Master
Northern IL
FranzZemen - 2013-04-25 2:45 PM

gsmacleod - 2013-04-25 2:32 PM
FranzZemen - 2013-04-25 4:21 PM Yet anyone who rides knows aero equipment, or even being in the aero position has little impact at that point.   This is what happens when "even when you're right, your just plain wrong".  I'm sure someone will disagree, but I'll submit they're riding with a parachute deployed behind them.
Feel free to run the numbers: Power = coefficient of rolling resistance * mass * acceleration due to gravity * velocity + 1/2 * rho * drag coefficient * cross sectional area * veloctiy ^ 3 This assumes a flat course and calm conditions but will give some insight into what happens to power with speed and CdA changes. Shane

The % of mass and cross section of the bicycle relative to the human body is small.  Moreover, the % difference between an aero bike and a non-aero bike is even smaller.  So it takes quite a bit of wind to make that small component important.  Not sure you can decipher what that means, but....

Try working with an online calculator for bike speed to come up with the time savings between various amounts of aero.

2013-04-25 3:01 PM
in reply to: #4715185

User image

Not a Coach
Media, PA
FranzZemen - 2013-04-25 3:54 PM

The only crazy part is you not understanding the laws of physics.  Aero becomes relevant as soon as you decide you want to go as fast as possible.  If you don't care about that until you get up to 20mph (or whatever speed you choose), so be it.  Most of us care as soon as the gun goes off.

The point is if you want to get faster and you're in the teens mph, focus on fitness.  Buy the aero bike but expect to get the gains only as a function of higher speeds.

NO!!!!!  Expect the gains from aero INDEPENDENT of fitness.  Focus on BOTH!!!

2013-04-25 3:03 PM

User image

FranzZemen - 2013-04-25 9:54 AM

As mentioned by Fred already, the slower you are, the more overall time you will save with aerodynamic improvments over the same distance as someone who rides faster.

2013-04-25 3:17 PM
in reply to: #4712761

User image

Master
San Antone, Texas
Subject: RE: Best ways to increase biking speed

Wow.  So much insanity in this thread.  I don't even know where to begin.

Ride lots of miles easy to get faster? Aero doesn't matter below 20 mph?

I'm leaving before I get banned for saying something mean.

2013-04-25 3:26 PM

Master
, California
FranzZemen - 2013-04-25 12:54 PM

Focus on both.

At 12mph *for you*, it's a very small effort.  30%?  Maybe even less.  If a TT bike / aero gear cuts that to 25%, no, you're not going to feel any difference.  It's all in your easy conversational pace.  You're still more efficient.   You just can't tell at that speed without a way to measure it directly (power meter).

Someone less fit might feel it though.

No single change is going to make a big difference by itself.  It's the sum of the parts that you're looking for.  Good position on the bike, helmet, wheels, tires, tubes, and so on.

You would probably agree a mountain bike isn't a fast choice to compete against other road bikes.  Well, it has a high combination of rolling drag and aero drag that you saw on the chart.

2013-04-25 3:43 PM
in reply to: #4715198

User image

Veteran
Grapevine, TX
tri808 - 2013-04-25 3:03 PM
FranzZemen - 2013-04-25 9:54 AM

As mentioned by Fred already, the slower you are, the more overall time you will save with aerodynamic improvments over the same distance as someone who rides faster.

That's linear thinking, but its not game changing if you want to turn seconds into minutes and you're slow.

The real point is everyone in tri (virtually) ultimately has a good bike, and may get a great bike.  You will see low returns at low speeds if you want to improve your overall speed from aero at those speeds, whereas if you spend most of your time at low speeds you will have increasing returns if you spend time improving your fitness.  And then, on top of it, you will get an increasing return from the aero.

2013-04-25 3:53 PM

Subject: ...
This user's post has been ignored.
2013-04-25 3:56 PM
in reply to: #4715182

Edited by Fred D 2013-04-25 4:05 PM

2013-04-25 3:58 PM
in reply to: #4715198

Extreme Veteran
, Kobenhavns Kommune
tri808 - 2013-04-25 10:03 PM 

??? I'd like to see that calculation. Air resistance increases proportional to speed squared, hence more aero will benefit the faster rider relatively more. Sure, that's not the same as absolute numbers, but there is a point where both relatively and in absolute time the faster rider wins the most from better aero.

If you're a slow rider work on improving the engine. As for aero, take what you can get for free - free as in 0$.

2013-04-25 4:01 PM
in reply to: #4715277

Extreme Veteran
Maryland
erik.norgaard - 2013-04-25 3:58 PM

??? I'd like to see that calculation. Air resistance increases proportional to speed squared, hence more aero will benefit the faster rider relatively more. Sure, that's not the same as absolute numbers, but there is a point where both relatively and in absolute time the faster rider wins the most from better aero.

If you're a slow rider work on improving the engine. As for aero, take what you can get for free - free as in 0$.

a faster rider gains a larger percentage of time (minutes/minute), but a slower rider gains more actual time (minutes). 

2013-04-25 4:02 PM
in reply to: #4715271

Extreme Veteran
Maryland
Fred D - 2013-04-25 3:56 PM
RChung - 2013-04-25 3:53 PM
Fred D - 2013-04-25 12:39 PM

One interesting thing about this graph is it makes me think that tires with excellent rolling resistance (low) would be even more important for hill climbing, no?

ie; climbing many hills where I live is at best 10mph and thats where these forces seem to be highest c.f. 20mph speeds.

Is this true?

Crr scales exactly like slope so every improvement in Crr of .001 is exactly like a change in slope of .001 (that is, 0.1%). That is, if you look at the power equation, it looks like

watts = crr * mass * g *v + slope * mass * g * v + 0.5 * rho * CdA * v^3 + acceleration

or

watts = (crr+slope) * mass * g * v + aero and acceleration stuff

That's why if you want to make a good estimate of Crr from field tests you'll want to know the slope, because the effects look the same. But in a larger sense, if you climb a hill, you often get to descend it while increased Crr is always there. Remember that the Crr you see in tables like AFM's are for smooth rollers so you have to multiply by a "surface roughness" for real roads; a typical multiplier is something like 1.5 to 2.0 though for really crappy roads (that's a technical term) it can be higher. The difference between a good rollling resistance tire and a poor rolling resistance tire (*cough* Tufo *cough*) can be something like .003 or .004 which over the length of an 180km IM bike leg is like climbing an extra 500m hill.

. Thanks! On a pure hill climb TT (say alpe d'huez) it does seem like the crr is more key than aero though does it not?

On a pure hill climb you could probably follow that chart, it all depends on your speed. Andy Schleck might want the aero, you might want the crr, and everyone wants a lighter bike.

2013-04-25 4:09 PM
in reply to: #4715266

Veteran
Grapevine, TX

Fred D - 2013-04-25 3:53 PM Broken record here, but if you run the numbers the aero gains mean MORE minutes for the slower rider than the faster rider. I understand you won't agree, in essence I'm saying this fact so that slower people on this site don't wrongly believe that they aren't fast enough for aero goodies. In fact I would say that the triathlete in an ironman event who is close to missing the bike cutoff would most benefit from aero in a pure minutes saved fashion rather than someone like myself. Work on the engine, become as aero as the budget allows and then go fast as this allows. Waiting until you hit 19-20 mph until you buy a nice bike or aero goodies is not the approach I would recommend. In fact I would suggest its a bit elitist and certainly not smart. If you can't afford a nice bike and aero wheels, I already mentioned some cheap aero goodies that can help.

Actually, I don't disagree.  I'm not suggesting to wait to buy the bike.  I'm answering the question "Best ways to increase biking speed" in the added context of someone who doesn't yet have the fitness to really benefit from the bike.  And I'm being persistent because people are really confusing the physics on the low end - anytime you have a mathematical accelerator like a polynomial formula it is important to understand scale.  

If you're close to any cutoff, of course every iota of gain is worth it!

2013-04-25 4:18 PM
in reply to: #4715282

dmiller5 - 2013-04-25 11:01 AM
erik.norgaard - 2013-04-25 3:58 PM

a faster rider gains a larger percentage of time (minutes/minute), but a slower rider gains more actual time (minutes). 

The main reason the slower rider gains more overall time is becase he's on the course for a longer period of time...thus experiencing the increase in speed (even though it's smaller) for a longer period of time.

2013-04-25 4:41 PM
in reply to: #4715294

Master
Northern IL
FranzZemen - 2013-04-25 4:09 PM

Actually, I don't disagree.  I'm not suggesting to wait to buy the bike.  I'm answering the question "Best ways to increase biking speed" in the added context of someone who doesn't yet have the fitness to really benefit from the bike.  And I'm being persistent because people are really confusing the physics on the low end - anytime you have a mathematical accelerator like a polynomial formula it is important to understand scale.  

Everyone knows that, but the air resistance doesn't go to zero until you stop. You also need to look at it in terms of time saved. So far it's been whether it feels hard or not. Try actually running some numbers through to see what you get.

2013-04-25 4:44 PM
in reply to: #4715271

Fred D - 2013-04-25 1:56 PM  

Thanks! On a pure hill climb TT (say alpe d'huez) it does seem like the crr is more key than aero though does it not? ETA: also in any hilly course even if you get the fast downhills you will spend more time on the uphills as your speed is so much slower during these segments that the total time spent at the lower speeds is greater. Does this make any sense?

Ah, I think I understand what you're asking. Yes, if you are limited in overall power (and aren't we all?) then since Crr scales like slope, on a steep slope an even larger proportion of your limited power is going to be spent on the "linear" component of power demand rather than the cubic component. On very steep slopes you may not be able to get your speed very high so you'll be trapped over on the left side of the plot. Is that what you meant?

2013-04-25 4:44 PM
in reply to: #4715253

Champion
FranzZemen - 2013-04-25 5:43 PM

That's linear thinking, but its not game changing if you want to turn seconds into minutes and you're slow.

The real point is everyone in tri (virtually) ultimately has a good bike, and may get a great bike.  You will see low returns at low speeds if you want to improve your overall speed from aero at those speeds, whereas if you spend most of your time at low speeds you will have increasing returns if you spend time improving your fitness.  And then, on top of it, you will get an increasing return from the aero.

Feel free to run the numbers in the equation I provided or go over to Analytical Cycling and plug some stuff in. This isn't rocket surgery.

Shane
2013-04-25 4:47 PM
in reply to: #4715294

Champion
FranzZemen - 2013-04-25 6:09 PM

And I'm being persistent because people are really confusing the physics on the low end - anytime you have a mathematical accelerator like a polynomial formula it is important to understand scale.  

I assure you, I am not confusing the physics. Please feel free to run the numbers.

Shane
2013-04-25 5:00 PM

Extreme Veteran
Ajo

Wow, look at the can of worms that I opened up... Surprised  I feel like forest gump now... "I'm not a smart man, but...." or Erkle, "did I do that?"

You guys are operating at several pay grades above me... LOL.

My anedotal evidence of the influence of gym work is this:

After my HIM race in late Oct. my season was done, I cut back on volume and intensity... then I had to do the El Tour de Tucson... my longest ride ever for the year was about 80 miles done once back in Aug., I did one long ride about 70 miles about 2 weeks before the El Tour.  Had a good race... then off season and in late Nov. I went to the gym and worked on leg strength and muscular weeknesses.  I cut back on biking by 50%, and upped my running a little bit in Dec.... absolutely no swimming.  I did the gym about 3 x a week.... Then in Jan, I started with an online coach and brand new plan... during the first couple weeks, I had to do the FTP tests and run tests...

Well the evidence was this... my 15 second sprint (and I don't practice sprinting hardly ever) went from 800w to 1250w, my 1 minute went from 350w to 500w and my 5 minute went up to about 360w, my 20' and 60' as well... how am I not supposed to think that the weight training had nothing to do with this?  Am I making the wrong conclusion?

But I'll also say this, I cut back on the gym stuff in late Jan. and a new plan from a coach had me do more lsd at 70% than I've done before and then when retested before Leadman, my 60' FTP went up from 295/300 to the new 325.  So I'll give credit to that... lsd sucks, it's boring and like chinese water torture, but it also seems to have worked.

I'd also give credit to riding more on my road bike, that has definately made me better too, all of the lsd were on the road bike.

My running hasn't changed that much either... the only thing that I'm able to do better at running is stay a threshold a little bit longer, but my pace hasn't improved dramatically.

Edited by tomspharmacy 2013-04-25 5:07 PM

2013-04-25 5:57 PM
in reply to: #4715331

2013-04-25 5:59 PM
in reply to: #4715351

2013-04-25 6:20 PM
in reply to: #4715351

tomspharmacy - 2013-04-25 12:00 PM

Well the evidence was this... my 15 second sprint (and I don't practice sprinting hardly ever) went from 800w to 1250w, my 1 minute went from 350w to 500w and my 5 minute went up to about 360w, my 20' and 60' as well... how am I not supposed to think that the weight training had nothing to do with this?  Am I making the wrong conclusion?

Yes.  And I would suspect that the before and after results were not very good tests.  If your true 1' all out was 350w prior to weight training, you're probably closer to a 3-3.5 hour HIM bike split...or targeting a power much less than 150w. 

2013-04-25 6:42 PM
in reply to: #4715436

Pro
Camp Hill, Pennsylvania
tri808 - 2013-04-25 7:20 PM
tomspharmacy - 2013-04-25 12:00 PM

Yes.  And I would suspect that the before and after results were not very good tests.  If your true 1' all out was 350w prior to weight training, you're probably closer to a 3-3.5 hour HIM bike split...or targeting a power much less than 150w. 

Yes, you are making the wrong conclusion, but not the one that you're questioning.

Strength training will improve your 15 second and 1 minute sprints significantly, plus it will have an impact on your 5 minute effort, because the shorter the effort, the more dependent it is on anaerobic energy pathways.  Efforts under 2 minutes are almost completely anaerobic.  Even at 5 minutes, anaerobic fitness has a large impact on performance capabilities.  The longer the effort, the less anaerobic fitness is a factor, and the more aerobic energy pathways are relied upon.  Strength training primarily utilizes anaerobic energy pathways.

Stop thinking in terms of training muscles, and instead understand that focusing on energy systems and specificity of training are what is important.

Edited by TriMyBest 2013-04-25 6:51 PM
New Thread
General Discussion Triathlon Talk » Best ways to increase biking speed Rss Feed  

of 6