BT Development Mentor Program Archives » Mad Manatee Mentors 2013: CLOSED (exc/ Pop Tart bribes) Rss Feed  
Moderators: alicefoeller Reply

of 440

2013-10-25 7:22 AM
in reply to: brigby1

User image

Regular
LHOTP
Subject: RE: Mad Manatee Mentors 2013: CLOSED (exc/ Pop Tart bribes)

Originally posted by brigby1

Originally posted by TriAya SWITCH - def redo the TTs. No way that any part of a straight 1550 (esp one NOT done as a TT) should be faster than 400. That'd be like 5k race splits being faster than a standalone mile. For you I'd rec a long warmup, like 1000, mostly swim but some kick and pull as well, and an easy 100 in addition to rest in betw/TTs. BTW 30x100 you'd build up to, but I would expect with a 1550 that fast you should be able to do 20x100 at CSS on @:10R.

Thinking it'd be best to redo the TT's as well. Also, how possible is it that the 1550 was miscounted? That's a long way to go continuously, easy to miss a 50 or two..

OMG, I can't count a 200 in the pool, lol.  It's all off of my 910 (which is my wooby in the pool), and I haven't had any problems with it counting if I'm doing freestyle.  I could post it if any of that info might be helpful in critiquing my swim...

2013-10-25 7:28 AM
in reply to: switch

Master
Northern IL

Originally posted by switch

Originally posted by StaceyK
Originally posted by TriAya SWITCH - def redo the TTs. No way that any part of a straight 1550 (esp one NOT done as a TT) should be faster than 400. That'd be like 5k race splits being faster than a standalone mile. For you I'd rec a long warmup, like 1000, mostly swim but some kick and pull as well, and an easy 100 in addition to rest in betw/TTs. BTW 30x100 you'd build up to, but I would expect with a 1550 that fast you should be able to do 20x100 at CSS on @:10R.
In my Swim Smooth swim plan this is the session for determining your CSS (critical swim speed): Warm-up - 400 easy f/s long smooth strokes Drill set - 2x200 as up drill back f/s +20s Build - 3x (150 moderate pace +10s, 100fast pace +10s, 50 very fast +10s) Sculling - 4x 50 as scull 20m then 30m f/s Take a few minutes recovery then: Time trial - 400 time trial +a few minutes rest afterwards - 4x50 very easy active recovery +20s - 200 time trial Warm down - 200 very easy Session difficulty 5/5 Total distance 2900 Notes - swim the 400 and 200 time trials as fast as you can but make sure you pace them well and don't start too fast. Record your times for each and use the calculator at www.swimsmooth.com/ccs to find your CSS pace for future sessions. There is another similar session scheduled for about 3 weeks later. It is slightly different and if you want me to post it i can.

OK, thanks guys! 

Stacey, I think I'm going to retest my CSS early next week.  I redid it yesterday, and my 400 time was down to 6:16, 200 still at 2:57, but that gives me a CSS of 1:40 v the 1:45 from the day before, so more accurate I think, but maybe still a bit high?  I definitely didn't space them out like it's described in the set you posted, and I still probably wasn't warmed up, and I think, as Yanti suggested, I may be one of those swimmers who needs a longish warm up to hit my groove.  I think I really struggle with how to pace those TTs.  I worry I'm going to go out too fast and die Like, I literally have a fear still of being overwhelmed and drowning. lol. 

That looks like a good day of swimming.  The SS guys are based in Perth, right?  Do you train with them?

Yanti, our tri-team just got a GoPro, so I should have some video for critiquing sometime soon. 

I think most people need a bit more warm-up than they think. What we've done before a test session isn't much different from what Stacey posted. Swimming, pulling, drill/swim sets, some IM, and some fast worked in there. Works everything around the shoulders and also gets you used to going fast before the important part. Any idea how well your splits within the 400 are going?

2013-10-25 8:30 AM

User image

Simsbury, Connecticut
MORNING TEAM!

Friday HOORAY!! Finally got my butt in the pool. Now I remember why I don't go on M W or F - CROWDED!

I'm starting a swim clinic on Sunday that goes weekly through mid December. I'm excited, nervous, freaked etc. I'm so slow compared to the other people going so it should be good for me

GOOD LUCK TO EVERYONE RACING THIS WEEKEND!! YAY!!!!

2013-10-25 9:02 AM

User image

Veteran
Western Australia

In my Swim Smooth swim plan this is the session for determining your CSS (critical swim speed): Warm-up - 400 easy f/s long smooth strokes Drill set - 2x200 as up drill back f/s +20s Build - 3x (150 moderate pace +10s, 100fast pace +10s, 50 very fast +10s) Sculling - 4x 50 as scull 20m then 30m f/s Take a few minutes recovery then: Time trial - 400 time trial +a few minutes rest afterwards - 4x50 very easy active recovery +20s - 200 time trial Warm down - 200 very easy Session difficulty 5/5 Total distance 2900 Notes - swim the 400 and 200 time trials as fast as you can but make sure you pace them well and don't start too fast. Record your times for each and use the calculator at www.swimsmooth.com/ccs to find your CSS pace for future sessions. There is another similar session scheduled for about 3 weeks later. It is slightly different and if you want me to post it i can.

OK, thanks guys! 

Stacey, I think I'm going to retest my CSS early next week.  I redid it yesterday, and my 400 time was down to 6:16, 200 still at 2:57, but that gives me a CSS of 1:40 v the 1:45 from the day before, so more accurate I think, but maybe still a bit high?  I definitely didn't space them out like it's described in the set you posted, and I still probably wasn't warmed up, and I think, as Yanti suggested, I may be one of those swimmers who needs a longish warm up to hit my groove.  I think I really struggle with how to pace those TTs.  I worry I'm going to go out too fast and die Like, I literally have a fear still of being overwhelmed and drowning. lol. 

That looks like a good day of swimming.  The SS guys are based in Perth, right?  Do you train with them?

Yanti, our tri-team just got a GoPro, so I should have some video for critiquing sometime soon. 

Hey Switch yep the SS guys are in Perth. I don't train with them because they are an hours drive away so to get to a session I would need to leave home at about 4am. So I got their intermediate training plan. It has 33 sessions in it. I think that it cost about $50. They have 3 different levels and then have separate ones for Olympic/HIM and another one for IM.

With regards to HR I think that most HRMs are not accurate or don't receive signal when swimming so the only way to swim by HR is to count it yourself which isn't really accurate either.
2013-10-25 9:04 AM

User image

Simsbury, Connecticut

I looked at the BT plans a few months ago, and so I may not have this right, but it seemed like the gold was great because you could actually communicate with a coach about your training and they would design a plan specifically for you?  Can anyone speak to this?  Do I have that right?  I don't know what the cost difference is between silver and gold /month, but maybe that might be another route to consider as well?

Does anyone use this site's coaching?

Looks like it's the silver or gold package PLUS $35 a month for the personal forum and unlimited q&a from coaches
http://www.beginnertriathlete.com/Membership/Coaching

2013-10-25 9:52 AM
in reply to: #4884287

User image

Master
Rio Rancho, NM
Switch I agree about the variables to HR. Like everything in this crazy sport it is hotly debated. Hence my reluctance. Especially concerned about my ability to get an accurate starting point. I like your idea of incorporating JD for the run. I don't currently have TR but it is another tool I considered adding this winter. The downside is that I don't leave my bike set up on the trainer so accuracy could be an issue.

Randee I love the idea of a personal coach but can't bring myself to take that step yet. While $35 a month is not a lot (I spend more than that at Sbux, easily) I guess I think I'm not serious enough or not "deserving" of that yet. I had a serious heart to heart with myself about doing the run focus winter maintenance and the time commitment it entails. If I want to improve I need to put in the time!

2013-10-25 10:01 AM
in reply to: rrrunner

User image

Pennsylvania

Originally posted by rrrunner

I upgraded to a silver membership so I could have access to the winter maintenance plans. Unfortunately they are all HRM.

Soooooo should I suck it up and test for and use HRM? Or should I use the plan as a guide but use RPE?

Thoughts?

BTW... I'm listening to the first college hockey game of one of our hockey boys. He made the FIRST GOAL for the team for the season!!!! So proud. (We were billets for the local hockey team a couple seasons ago)

Very, very cool!  So one of the boys you kept scored the first goal of the season for his team?      I'll be you feel like a proud mama even though he isn't your kid!

2013-10-25 10:04 AM
in reply to: StaceyK

Master
Northern IL

OK, thanks guys! 

Hey Switch yep the SS guys are in Perth. I don't train with them because they are an hours drive away so to get to a session I would need to leave home at about 4am. So I got their intermediate training plan. It has 33 sessions in it. I think that it cost about $50. They have 3 different levels and then have separate ones for Olympic/HIM and another one for IM. With regards to HR I think that most HRMs are not accurate or don't receive signal when swimming so the only way to swim by HR is to count it yourself which isn't really accurate either.

Yeah, very few HR monitors will work underwater. While I really like HR for the other two, it's value seems to be rather limited in swimming. One is how to actually see it while swimming. A change in stroke would throw me off. And the other is because of the skill/technique factor of swimming. One can work quite hard with bad technique, as in less than what they are currently capable of, which would not be an effective session. The pace clock can help catch that, but the amount of weight I put into the the pace clock (and RPE) and the translation of effort into speed make having HR for this of little value.

2013-10-25 10:04 AM
in reply to: mtnbikerchk

User image

Pennsylvania

Originally posted by mtnbikerchk MORNING TEAM! Friday HOORAY!! Finally got my butt in the pool. Now I remember why I don't go on M W or F - CROWDED! I'm starting a swim clinic on Sunday that goes weekly through mid December. I'm excited, nervous, freaked etc. I'm so slow compared to the other people going so it should be good for me GOOD LUCK TO EVERYONE RACING THIS WEEKEND!! YAY!!!!

Hoping you get what you want out of the swim clinic.  I've really been enjoying Masters even though I'm by far the dorkiest, least swim-knowledgeable person there because I know they will eventually turn me into a swimmer.  There's already been small progress in the right direction.

2013-10-25 10:06 AM
in reply to: melbo55

User image

Master
Rio Rancho, NM
Originally posted by melbo55

I upgraded to a silver membership so I could have access to the winter maintenance plans. Unfortunately they are all HRM.

Soooooo should I suck it up and test for and use HRM? Or should I use the plan as a guide but use RPE?

Thoughts?

BTW... I'm listening to the first college hockey game of one of our hockey boys. He made the FIRST GOAL for the team for the season!!!! So proud. (We were billets for the local hockey team a couple seasons ago)

Very, very cool!  So one of the boys you kept scored the first goal of the season for his team?      I'll be you feel like a proud mama even though he isn't your kid!

Very much so!!!! I was texting with his "real" dad the whole time. Was upset they didn't give him star of the game. Heard his name more than any other on the team!
2013-10-25 10:11 AM
in reply to: melbo55

Master
Northern IL

Originally posted by mtnbikerchk MORNING TEAM! Friday HOORAY!! Finally got my butt in the pool. Now I remember why I don't go on M W or F - CROWDED! I'm starting a swim clinic on Sunday that goes weekly through mid December. I'm excited, nervous, freaked etc. I'm so slow compared to the other people going so it should be good for me GOOD LUCK TO EVERYONE RACING THIS WEEKEND!! YAY!!!!

Hoping you get what you want out of the swim clinic.  I've really been enjoying Masters even though I'm by far the dorkiest, least swim-knowledgeable person there because I know they will eventually turn me into a swimmer.  There's already been small progress in the right direction.

Hope so too. Masters has been a tremendous help for me the past year.

2013-10-25 10:18 AM

User image

Master
Englewood, Florida

It is time for Friday's words of Wisdom! Today it comes from Kid President and it is a simple request: "Do something every day that makes the world a little more awesome"

2013-10-25 10:28 AM
in reply to: Asalzwed

User image

Regular
Caerphilly, Wales, uk.
Originally posted by Asalzwed

I kind of feel like I should be on the racing list this weekend, for I am taking two toddlers (2 of my nieces) to a halloween dance party. OMG. I should have trained for this.

Haha, good luck with that!

The biggest dilemma right now is that one niece wants to go in a Duck Dynasty costume, one want's to be a pretty princess but they would like to coordinate. Maybe I will meet them in the middle and be the Duck Dynasty Princess?

Ok, I did not raise girls (thank God!) but toddlers are already concerned about coordinating?!

Well, I don't think they exactly used that word. More like, "I WANT DO BE A PRINCESS. LET'S BE PRINCESSES!" 

Does Auntie Adrienne need to dress like a princess, too, or are you allowed to dress in regular clothes?

If they decide princess, I most certainly will be one as well.

And what is wrong with that

(25 October 2013 219.jpg)

Attachments
----------------
25 October 2013 219.jpg (3403KB - 8 downloads)
2013-10-25 10:38 AM
in reply to: Richardsdrr

User image

Seattle

Originally posted by Richardsdrr

I kind of feel like I should be on the racing list this weekend, for I am taking two toddlers (2 of my nieces) to a halloween dance party. OMG. I should have trained for this.

The biggest dilemma right now is that one niece wants to go in a Duck Dynasty costume, one want's to be a pretty princess but they would like to coordinate. Maybe I will meet them in the middle and be the Duck Dynasty Princess?

Ok, I did not raise girls (thank God!) but toddlers are already concerned about coordinating?!

Well, I don't think they exactly used that word. More like, "I WANT DO BE A PRINCESS. LET'S BE PRINCESSES!" 

Does Auntie Adrienne need to dress like a princess, too, or are you allowed to dress in regular clothes?

Ahahahahaha love it!!!!!!!

2013-10-25 10:41 AM

User image

Melon Presser

Perfect Hallowe'en outfit. SCARY AS HELL

By the way, Snow White has a really nice azz in split-shorts on the trainer

As for the bike fit--looks okay, would help a lot if you could post video as well to see how you and your bits actually move in that position.

Real proof's in the pudding as well. Can you comfortably build up cycling in that position? Can you ride hard in that position? Does it work on the road ... for the long haul? Even the best pro fit will likely need some tweaking, and definitely as you get fitter, too.

2013-10-25 10:52 AM

User image

Master
Englewood, Florida

Dude, I'm trying to eat here, I open up BT and WTF!!!!!

I'm just kidding, that is one awesome ensemble you have going on.

2013-10-25 11:06 AM

User image

Melon Presser

Thinking it'd be best to redo the TT's as well. Also, how possible is it that the 1550 was miscounted? That's a long way to go continuously, easy to miss a 50 or two..

OMG, I can't count a 200 in the pool, lol.  It's all off of my 910 (which is my wooby in the pool), and I haven't had any problems with it counting if I'm doing freestyle.  I could post it if any of that info might be helpful in critiquing my swim...

This, above all things, makes you a real swimmer. They can't count for shyte, unless you're the fastest guy in the fastest lane.

Even then, I've seen more than a few of those break 150m records when they were supposed to be swimming a 200m race. D-OH

2013-10-25 11:08 AM
in reply to: TriAya

User image

Melon Presser

Fair warning that there's gonna be a brand spankin' new Manatees thread sometime soon.

This one's gotten beyond massive and I didn't realize until today what a total batch it is to try to post in from a mobile.

2013-10-25 11:12 AM

User image

Royal(PITA)
West Chester, Ohio

LOVE IT!!

2013-10-25 11:18 AM
in reply to: Asalzwed

User image

Master
Orlando

Ahahahahaha love it!!!!!!!

No that's funny!!!
2013-10-25 11:18 AM
in reply to: TriAya

User image

Regular
LHOTP

Originally posted by TriAya

This, above all things, makes you a real swimmer. They can't count for shyte, unless you're the fastest guy in the fastest lane.

Even then, I've seen more than a few of those break 150m records when they were supposed to be swimming a 200m race. D-OH

It is completely ridiculous.  The 400 repeats--bwahahaha.  I give myself a pep talk before each one, "You  just have to count to 8.  Every time you touch the wall at the opposite end, just count.  You only have to keep track of 8 faching laps. ...blah, blah, blah" I eff it up more often than not.  350, 500,  300, 450 whatevs.  You know, it's "400ish" Oy.

2013-10-25 11:20 AM

User image

Regular
LHOTP

Darren, you are quite the princess.  Very, very, nice :)

2013-10-25 11:20 AM

User image

Master
Orlando

Originally posted by TriAya

It is completely ridiculous.  The 400 repeats--bwahahaha.  I give myself a pep talk before each one, "You  just have to count to 8.  Every time you touch the wall at the opposite end, just count.  You only have to keep track of 8 faching laps. ...blah, blah, blah" I eff it up more often than not.  350, 500,  300, 450 whatevs.  You know, it's "400ish" Oy.

I often lose track doing 100s. I really try to keep my mind from wandering, but I can't help it; when I start to swim my mind goes far, far away!
2013-10-25 11:23 AM
in reply to: rrrunner

User image

Master
Orlando
Originally posted by rrrunnerSwitch I agree about the variables to HR. Like everything in this crazy sport it is hotly debated. Hence my reluctance. Especially concerned about my ability to get an accurate starting point. I like your idea of incorporating JD for the run. I don't currently have TR but it is another tool I considered adding this winter. The downside is that I don't leave my bike set up on the trainer so accuracy could be an issue.Randee I love the idea of a personal coach but can't bring myself to take that step yet. While $35 a month is not a lot (I spend more than that at Sbux, easily) I guess I think I'm not serious enough or not "deserving" of that yet. I had a serious heart to heart with myself about doing the run focus winter maintenance and the time commitment it entails. If I want to improve I need to put in the time!
I have a HRM and my workouts (run and bike) are written in zones. However, I've never really established my thresholds so it is kind of worthless. I, therefore, just use perceived effort.
2013-10-25 11:23 AM

User image

Regular
LHOTP

OK, thanks guys! 

Stacey, I think I'm going to retest my CSS early next week.  I redid it yesterday, and my 400 time was down to 6:16, 200 still at 2:57, but that gives me a CSS of 1:40 v the 1:45 from the day before, so more accurate I think, but maybe still a bit high?  I definitely didn't space them out like it's described in the set you posted, and I still probably wasn't warmed up, and I think, as Yanti suggested, I may be one of those swimmers who needs a longish warm up to hit my groove.  I think I really struggle with how to pace those TTs.  I worry I'm going to go out too fast and die:) Like, I literally have a fear still of being overwhelmed and drowning. lol. 

I think most people need a bit more warm-up than they think. What we've done before a test session isn't much different from what Stacey posted. Swimming, pulling, drill/swim sets, some IM, and some fast worked in there. Works everything around the shoulders and also gets you used to going fast before the important part. Any idea how well your splits within the 400 are going?

I'm going to try to retest that CSS next week and I'll make sure to do a longer warm up.  One thing that was interesting with that 1550 was that I actually was getting cold at the end of it.  When I'm swimming the 100s and 200s, I don't really get cold.  They're only 5-8 seconds or so faster/100, but that is the difference between warm and sh sh sh shaking.

Ben, my ant + stick is at home, but I will download my Garmin data for the week tomorrow and post the breakout of that 400 and 1550.  My guess is that they're both builds of sorts, but it will be interesting to check my perception against reality. 

New Thread
BT Development Mentor Program Archives » Mad Manatee Mentors 2013: CLOSED (exc/ Pop Tart bribes) Rss Feed  

of 440