BT Development Mentor Program Archives » kenj triathletes in training - IM and HIM focused - Closed Rss Feed  
Moderators: alicefoeller Reply

of 63

2013-10-05 12:03 PM
in reply to: kenj

User image

Pro
Canandaigua NY
Subject: RE: kenj triathletes in training - IM and HIM focused - Closed

4 hours on the trainer this morning, I hope i don't have to do that again soon, but with 4 weeks till race day, I probably will!

How is everyone else doing?

2013-10-06 3:56 PM
in reply to: #4723784

User image

Veteran
Good day today. 90 mile bike followed by 7 mile run. Not fast, but can't complain based on my limited training time.
2013-10-07 5:43 AM
in reply to: ramiedd

User image

Pro
Canandaigua NY

Originally posted by ramiedd Good day today. 90 mile bike followed by 7 mile run. Not fast, but can't complain based on my limited training time.

Great work Eddie!!

2013-10-07 5:44 AM

User image

Pro
Canandaigua NY

Today is a rest day, other than stretching etc. 

How is everyone doing?

2013-10-07 7:23 AM

User image

Veteran
Originally posted by kenj

Today is a rest day, other than stretching etc. 

How is everyone doing?

[/QUOTE

Taking today off after a good day yesterday.. To elaborate a little more on my big day yesterday I would say that it was a huge win both mentally and physically. I have read the Endurance nation tri booklet and they talk about Ironman is about execution and not fitness. I realized that more yesterday as I managed my self in a way I have not done before. Did it with pacing and keeping a close eye on nutrition and hydration. Last year, during my half, I just rode the bike and when I got off the bike I could hardly walk much less run. I was cramping by about mile 45 and that continued till the end of the run. Yesterday, I had no cramping issues and never felt depleted of energy. This week I will probably try to get in as many swims as I can and do another long day on Sunday of probably over 100..

3 weeks to go.
2013-10-07 9:18 AM
in reply to: 0

User image

Elite
Romeoville, Il
Totally rained out this weekend on our last century ride. cold and rainy here now. I took the opportunity to catch up on life and get back to work on my basement project. Got the workout room all framed and ready for electrical and HVAC. Also ordered up my Wahoo trainer.!!

Edited by Meulen 2013-10-07 11:55 AM

2013-10-07 11:04 AM

User image

Veteran
Northern CT

4 hours on the trainer this morning, I hope i don't have to do that again soon, but with 4 weeks till race day, I probably will!

this is why I worry about late season races...hope you don't have to do too many more of those..ugh! Did a very rainy 5k trail race (more like a swim with puddles up to our knees). But always fun when you're not going for time, etc...

Just started a low dose steroid pill & cream to try and bring down the inflammation in my fascia. Had an ultrasound and my left was twice as big as my right. Dr. thinks the issue is the the chronic inflammation is not allowing the body to heal itself...so it's pill and cream for 2 weeks and we re-check. Looks like I'm probably headed for orthotics at least in the running shoes. Just would like to get back to a regular routine.
2013-10-07 12:03 PM
in reply to: skitri

User image

Pro
Canandaigua NY
Originally posted by skitri

this is why I worry about late season races...hope you don't have to do too many more of those..ugh! Did a very rainy 5k trail race (more like a swim with puddles up to our knees). But always fun when you're not going for time, etc... Just started a low dose steroid pill & cream to try and bring down the inflammation in my fascia. Had an ultrasound and my left was twice as big as my right. Dr. thinks the issue is the the chronic inflammation is not allowing the body to heal itself...so it's pill and cream for 2 weeks and we re-check. Looks like I'm probably headed for orthotics at least in the running shoes. Just would like to get back to a regular routine.

The last time I did Florida I was in So Cal most of the time so I forgot how good I had it then.  Solo centuries are mind numbing either way you slice it.  But for Florida there is some value to trainer rides compared to being outside as it is a flat course with very limited oportunity to coast. 

I hope you get feeling better Maggie!

2013-10-07 12:17 PM
in reply to: Meulen

User image

Pro
Canandaigua NY

Originally posted by Meulen Totally rained out this weekend on our last century ride. cold and rainy here now. I took the opportunity to catch up on life and get back to work on my basement project. Got the workout room all framed and ready for electrical and HVAC. Also ordered up my Wahoo trainer.!!

We are getting that rain now.  Good news on the basement.  Interested to know your opinion of the Wahoo.  I thinking computrainer this winter.

2013-10-07 3:01 PM

User image

Elite
Romeoville, Il

Originally posted by Meulen Totally rained out this weekend on our last century ride. cold and rainy here now. I took the opportunity to catch up on life and get back to work on my basement project. Got the workout room all framed and ready for electrical and HVAC. Also ordered up my Wahoo trainer.!!

We are getting that rain now.  Good news on the basement.  Interested to know your opinion of the Wahoo.  I thinking computrainer this winter.

I'll PM you my cell # so you can call me about this sometime. I should have it in a week or two to start playing around with. I've used computrainers for years now in class. I haven't used the wahoo yet, but I've spent the last week reading about it and setting up the apps in anticipation of arrival. If it's everything I'm being told I have no idea why anyone would buy a computrainer these days! That said, I will need to check available content for it when I get it and dig into apps. I'm sure you'll want to know what courses are available and where as I do. We can talk about that when you call. I'll let you know when it's here.
2013-10-07 7:57 PM

User image

I honestly can't figure out how you long course people DO THIS. I've had one day off in the last 6 and had to do a 3 hour ride followed by a one hour run today. My day off is over and I am trying not to go to bed before 7 pm. And I'm just trying to finish (not race) a HALF ironman! You people are NUTS!

2013-10-08 4:13 AM
in reply to: RunningJoke

User image

Pro
Canandaigua NY

Originally posted by RunningJoke I honestly can't figure out how you long course people DO THIS. I've had one day off in the last 6 and had to do a 3 hour ride followed by a one hour run today. My day off is over and I am trying not to go to bed before 7 pm. And I'm just trying to finish (not race) a HALF ironman! You people are NUTS!

I have heard that before, usually not here though! LOL!  It takes some time to train no doubt, that is why I look forward to the off season some.  I probably wont sleep in much, but knowing I can helps with the mental recovery. 

Hang in there Jaime, you are almost there!

2013-10-08 9:42 AM

User image

Elite
Romeoville, Il
You got this Jamie! Don't think....just do!

Hey guys. I think I'm going to be clearing some stuff out. I'm making some changes in equipment and have some things I just don't need. I figured I'd give you guys first crack on them before I send it off to the general forum or ebay. I already got rid of a cateye computer, a KK road machine, and a KK power meter. Next up:

I have a wheelbuilder aerojacket.
Bought this for my wifes bike. She maybe used it a handful of times. It's still in perfect condition. It was made for a set of pretty standard Kyserium Elite wheels so I think this will fit a lot of rims out there. But check the wheelbuilder site to make sure. $50 plus shipping takes it bake here

I also have a re-mold Giant XTC carbon HT MTB
re-mold means the mold was taken by the manufacture and used to make frames without the name brand on them and the Chinese distributers sold them on ebay. I've ridden this bike less than 5 times since I finished building it. It's super light and has great components on it. I built it myself with XO grip shifts, XT FD, XO RD, and SLX hallowtech crankset. It has Easton carbon bars and seat post, and Nocom sealed cables, and XTR ceramic rim brakes. Wheels are the lightest Mavic rim brake wheels I could find and tubless tires. It's a 20.5" size which equates to in between a Lg an XLg frame size in most bikes. I usually don't go the ebay no brand frame direction for things if you know me. But this bike really shocked me. It's probably one of my favorite bikes to ride and I'm not sure why I'm getting rid of it really, other than I just have too many bikes around! LOL Back here price is $1200 plus shipping.

Quintanna Roo hydrofoil wetsuit- full sleeve
Pretty sure it's a M or M/L size. This is in good shape also. I've used it for all my wetsuit legal races and some training. I've taken really good care of it though. I don't believe there are any tears in it but I will look it over and take pictures of it if someone is interested. It was over $400 new, and an added bonus is it's never been pee'd in! LOL . Back here price is $150 plus shipping.

Not sure if you guys were in the market for any of this stuff but I figured I'd throw out some deals for the group to see if any of this stuff helps you out before I sell it somewhere else. I probably have more stuff around. I'll put it up here as I find it.
2013-10-08 10:19 AM

User image

Pro
Canandaigua NY

Good luck with the sale Brian! 

I spent some time this morning reading the DC Rainmaker review of the Wahoo trainer.  Seems like a flexable trainer platform that has a lot of potential for 3rd party apps to provide programing for. 

2013-10-08 10:26 AM
in reply to: #4723784

User image

Elite
Romeoville, Il
Thx!

Yeah. I think it already has everything the computrainer has and more. There's imobile intervals for erg mode and kinomap and strava for courses. Kinomap includes video for virtual reality riding! At the very least you could create a strava segment of your previous races and practice on courses
2013-10-08 2:30 PM

User image

Veteran
Greensburg, PA
I can't believe that B2B is getting so close!
Last week I suffered from a severe lack of motivation and an incredible desire to eat everything in the house! This week I am so tired it is ridiculous! I fell asleep at work again this morning! I honestly can't wait at this point for the race to be over! I think that I have put in the training, I just hope I don't sabotage myself in the last couple weeks.
I have had some good long bikes and runs. I was surprised that I enjoyed riding 100 miles by myself! I wore my new tri suit for my last long training days. It seems good - no surprise chaffing! And my nutrition seems like I have dialed it in well. And, I finally found some fig newtons that work great, they are actually the triple berry flavor and I just love them. They should be a perfect treat for special needs! I have found that I don't seem to drink enough, so I have been working on that. Oh, and speaking of special needs, what do you put in your bags? I have a list for both (It seems like I have lists everywhere and for everything!) but is there anything special you put in yours that I am forgetting?
The weather has finally turned to fall here. It was 26 degrees cooler yesterday than it was over the weekend! I wouldn't mind the cooler weather so much if it wasn't such a drastic change!
I hope everyone is doing well!

Karen

2013-10-09 11:26 AM
in reply to: gadgetlaw

User image

Extreme Veteran
Cold Spring, NY
Well, I'm back to the multisport thing and trying to rebuild some base. Got on my bike for the 1st time in a month and started swimming with a gym swim group. I think deciding that this isn't my year to BQ (and maybe never will be) will really help my chances at a successful long course season next year.

Ken, you are an Animal! 4hrs on the trainer sounds harder than any race I've ever done...
2013-10-09 1:06 PM

User image

Pro
Canandaigua NY

Originally posted by gadgetlaw I can't believe that B2B is getting so close! Last week I suffered from a severe lack of motivation and an incredible desire to eat everything in the house! This week I am so tired it is ridiculous! I fell asleep at work again this morning! I honestly can't wait at this point for the race to be over! I think that I have put in the training, I just hope I don't sabotage myself in the last couple weeks. I have had some good long bikes and runs. I was surprised that I enjoyed riding 100 miles by myself! I wore my new tri suit for my last long training days. It seems good - no surprise chaffing! And my nutrition seems like I have dialed it in well. And, I finally found some fig newtons that work great, they are actually the triple berry flavor and I just love them. They should be a perfect treat for special needs! I have found that I don't seem to drink enough, so I have been working on that. Oh, and speaking of special needs, what do you put in your bags? I have a list for both (It seems like I have lists everywhere and for everything!) but is there anything special you put in yours that I am forgetting? The weather has finally turned to fall here. It was 26 degrees cooler yesterday than it was over the weekend! I wouldn't mind the cooler weather so much if it wasn't such a drastic change! I hope everyone is doing well! Karen

Glad to hear that your training is going well Karen!

In bike special needs I will put an extra tube and some CO2 cartridges in case I had a flat in the first part of the race.  I will put a jacket in case it is raining and I didn't use the one in the T1 bag.  Since I will be using EFS on the bike, I will have the nutrition for the second half of the bike in the bag, along with maybe a sandwich or some other snack to supplement. 

In the run special needs I will have a long sleeve running shirt, or something like that as the temp will drop after dark in most cases.  I usally put some body glide, dry socks and another pair of running shoes in case, although I haven't used them.  I have always used the long sleeve shirt though.  Some people will put nutrition in the bag if they have a specific plan, but for the run I have lived off the course in my past races.  I have been debating whether to do that for this upcoming race or not, but am currently leaning towards living off the course.  I would also have a pepto or tums or some other product in there just in case.  I didn't at the race in August and regretted it. 

Developing lists is normal behavior for the first time IMer's (and for us repeat offenders, we recycle our lists

2013-10-09 1:08 PM
in reply to: bdenehy

User image

Pro
Canandaigua NY

Originally posted by bdenehy Well, I'm back to the multisport thing and trying to rebuild some base. Got on my bike for the 1st time in a month and started swimming with a gym swim group. I think deciding that this isn't my year to BQ (and maybe never will be) will really help my chances at a successful long course season next year. Ken, you are an Animal! 4hrs on the trainer sounds harder than any race I've ever done...

Welcome back Bill! 

4 hours isn't bad if the pain cave is properly equipped! 

2013-10-09 3:32 PM

User image

Veteran
Northern CT
Karen - same as Ken for special needs. Bike tends to be more mechanical stuff...extra tube, co2 and I brought this rope velco I use just in case anything was coming loose. Run - extra socks, blister band aids, extra body glide and a long sleeve shirt.
2013-10-10 11:52 AM
in reply to: skitri

User image

Expert
Chugiak, Alaska
Heading to Chicago on an overnight flight this evening for the Chicago Marathon! I think I am ready, though I do have some doubts whether I will make the time I originally wanted. Anytime will be a PR though! Super excited!

2013-10-10 12:00 PM
in reply to: robingray_260

User image

Elite
Romeoville, Il
Originally posted by robingray_260

Heading to Chicago on an overnight flight this evening for the Chicago Marathon! I think I am ready, though I do have some doubts whether I will make the time I originally wanted. Anytime will be a PR though! Super excited!

Good luck Robin!!

I'm having a Halloween party/bonfire Saturday night. If you're still in town you're more than welcome to stop by. Costumes optional. I'm about 45-60 minutes from downtown depending on traffic.
2013-10-10 12:16 PM
in reply to: robingray_260

User image

Pro
Canandaigua NY

Originally posted by robingray_260 Heading to Chicago on an overnight flight this evening for the Chicago Marathon! I think I am ready, though I do have some doubts whether I will make the time I originally wanted. Anytime will be a PR though! Super excited!

Have a great trip Robin and an even better race!!  I hope you have a great day!!

2013-10-10 2:33 PM

User image

Veteran
Greensburg, PA
Thanks for the tips about special needs. I am still working on all of my lists!! I find it hard to believe that the race is so close. I have my last longer runs and bikes in the next few days, then taper starts next week. I have a massage scheduled for tomorrow and am hoping it will help me to relax! Today excited is winning out over scared!
2013-10-10 2:59 PM

User image

New user
Hi All! I haven't posted in a while because I haven't had much to post! But I've been keeping up with what all of you are doing. Robin, best of luck in Chicago! I have run that marathon twice--in 2002 as my second marathon and absolutely loved it! And again in 2007...the year of the meltdown when they made us stop running because of the temperatures! Even though that was not a great year for the race, it is still an awesome venue and just a spectacular experience. There are truly spectators lining every bit of the course except for maybe a 1/2 mile portion in a somewhat out of the way industrial area. It is just fantastic.

Karen, I posted a YouTube video about my bag preparation--I don't know how helpful it will be but here it is:
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=XjsrDzdBsXg

Bill, good for you getting back at it.

I have been so lazy! I am finally ready to get back to consistent training. I did get back to masters swim twice last week, and that was nice. I found that I can actually still swim! And our workouts were less than 2000m, which was a nice change from the 3000 - 3800 I had been doing leading up to the IM.

I am going to focus on swimming in the off season and also on running to try to qualify for Boston. I might join a coached running group, with a coach who has a 98% success rate with getting his people to PR in their chosen race distance, so we'll see.

Good luck to all of you with your upcoming A races!
New Thread
BT Development Mentor Program Archives » kenj triathletes in training - IM and HIM focused - Closed Rss Feed  

of 63