BT Development Mentor Program Archives » kenj triathletes in training - IM and HIM focused - Closed Rss Feed  
Moderators: alicefoeller Reply

of 63

2013-10-10 7:38 PM
in reply to: Meulen

User image

Expert
Chugiak, Alaska
Subject: RE: kenj triathletes in training - IM and HIM focused - Closed
Originally posted by Meulen

Originally posted by robingray_260

Heading to Chicago on an overnight flight this evening for the Chicago Marathon! I think I am ready, though I do have some doubts whether I will make the time I originally wanted. Anytime will be a PR though! Super excited!

Good luck Robin!!

I'm having a Halloween party/bonfire Saturday night. If you're still in town you're more than welcome to stop by. Costumes optional. I'm about 45-60 minutes from downtown depending on traffic.

Thanks for the invite Brian! I am staying with my SIL and her brother near Irving Park??? Not sure where that is, but I will find out tomorrow. Going to watch the OU Texas game (go sooners!) - not sure after that but (hopefully) early to bed that night! Run on Sunday.

I should have come down a day early my SIL is at the Bear's game right now!

2013-10-11 8:28 AM
in reply to: robingray_260

User image

Veteran
Northern CT
Good Luck Robin! Have some friends interested in doing Chicago next year so I'd love to hear your thoughts on the setup.

Boring gym and stuff for me still - though prednisone pills and cream seem to be doing the trick..foot hasn't been this pain free in quite a long time.
2013-10-11 10:21 AM
in reply to: rquinn23

User image

Pro
Canandaigua NY

Originally posted by rquinn23 Hi All! I haven't posted in a while because I haven't had much to post! But I've been keeping up with what all of you are doing. Robin, best of luck in Chicago! I have run that marathon twice--in 2002 as my second marathon and absolutely loved it! And again in 2007...the year of the meltdown when they made us stop running because of the temperatures! Even though that was not a great year for the race, it is still an awesome venue and just a spectacular experience. There are truly spectators lining every bit of the course except for maybe a 1/2 mile portion in a somewhat out of the way industrial area. It is just fantastic. Karen, I posted a YouTube video about my bag preparation--I don't know how helpful it will be but here it is: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=XjsrDzdBsXgBill, good for you getting back at it. I have been so lazy! I am finally ready to get back to consistent training. I did get back to masters swim twice last week, and that was nice. I found that I can actually still swim! And our workouts were less than 2000m, which was a nice change from the 3000 - 3800 I had been doing leading up to the IM. I am going to focus on swimming in the off season and also on running to try to qualify for Boston. I might join a coached running group, with a coach who has a 98% success rate with getting his people to PR in their chosen race distance, so we'll see. Good luck to all of you with your upcoming A races!

I did Chicago in 2007 as well Becky! That was crazy! 

Good luck with your BQ efforts, I hope you keep us posted on the coaching, that sounds interesting!

2013-10-11 10:22 AM
in reply to: skitri

User image

Pro
Canandaigua NY

Originally posted by skitri Good Luck Robin! Have some friends interested in doing Chicago next year so I'd love to hear your thoughts on the setup. Boring gym and stuff for me still - though prednisone pills and cream seem to be doing the trick..foot hasn't been this pain free in quite a long time.

Good to hear the treatment is working!!

2013-10-11 10:25 AM
in reply to: kenj

User image

Pro
Canandaigua NY

From what I can see Robin is the only one racing this weekend!  I hope the weather in Chicago is as good as it is supposed to be here! 

I have a long bike tomorrow and a shorter run and swim Sunday.  I need or at least would like to start early tomorrow, which the weather looks good, but the sun doesn't come up very early.  I may start on the trainer and finish outside. 

2013-10-11 10:29 AM

User image

Veteran
Last big weekend for me... Self doubt has tried to creep in, but I have to work with what I got...

Plans for the weekend are to get at least a two mile swim tomorrow after my kids soccer game and then do a six or seven hour workout on Sunday.
Will probably ride around 65 miles and try to run 10 or 12 miles.

2013-10-13 3:05 PM
in reply to: ramiedd

User image

Pro
Canandaigua NY

Originally posted by ramiedd Last big weekend for me... Self doubt has tried to creep in, but I have to work with what I got... Plans for the weekend are to get at least a two mile swim tomorrow after my kids soccer game and then do a six or seven hour workout on Sunday. Will probably ride around 65 miles and try to run 10 or 12 miles.

I hope your training went well Eddie!

2013-10-13 3:14 PM

User image

Pro
Canandaigua NY

Long bike went well yesterday, the goal was 115 miles, and I got to about 112.  Started on the trainer and when it warmed into the 50's I went outside.  It was nice to be outside in the middle of October.  But looking ahead, this will be my biggest week on the bike and it doesn't look favorable to get outside, especially since I am flying to FL Saturday for some work meetings for a couple of days. 

Looking forward to how Robin did in Chicago and what she thought about that race!

2013-10-14 7:28 AM

User image

Veteran
Last weekend of heavy training is behind me and I am glad it is.. It started friday with an 8 mile run then saturday had soccer (which our team lost) followed by a 2 mile swim.. Sunday was the last big day with a 70 mile bike ride followed by a 10 mile run. now it is time let the body heal some and rest for the next two weeks. Seems like every joint in my body hurts.. 13 days to go... I will probably still do a longer ride this weekend coming up, but it will be a slow casual ride.

I will say that after the last two weekends of big workouts I am feeling much better about my ability to finish. My goal is to get in the 15 hour range...but I have to focus on what the day brings and how I feel to pace myself.
2013-10-14 9:28 AM
in reply to: #4873019

User image

Expert
Chugiak, Alaska
The Chicago marathon is in the history books! Finished just under 5 hours (which secretly was my goal). Lost my Garmin at about mile9 so had to go by feel. Was an incredible venue! Just over 40,000 runners and just as many or more spectators. It was crazy! I head back to AK tomorrow and will get a race report up then. Happy Columbus Day!
2013-10-14 10:50 AM

User image

Pro
Canandaigua NY

Originally posted by ramiedd Last weekend of heavy training is behind me and I am glad it is.. It started friday with an 8 mile run then saturday had soccer (which our team lost) followed by a 2 mile swim.. Sunday was the last big day with a 70 mile bike ride followed by a 10 mile run. now it is time let the body heal some and rest for the next two weeks. Seems like every joint in my body hurts.. 13 days to go... I will probably still do a longer ride this weekend coming up, but it will be a slow casual ride. I will say that after the last two weekends of big workouts I am feeling much better about my ability to finish. My goal is to get in the 15 hour range...but I have to focus on what the day brings and how I feel to pace myself.

Good work Eddie!  Follow a smart taper!

2013-10-14 10:51 AM

User image

Pro
Canandaigua NY

Originally posted by robingray_260 The Chicago marathon is in the history books! Finished just under 5 hours (which secretly was my goal). Lost my Garmin at about mile9 so had to go by feel. Was an incredible venue! Just over 40,000 runners and just as many or more spectators. It was crazy! I head back to AK tomorrow and will get a race report up then. Happy Columbus Day!

Yay Robin!!  Great job beating your goal time!!  Congratulations!

Have a safe trip home, I am looking forward to reading your RR!

2013-10-14 10:54 AM

User image

Pro
Canandaigua NY

Last big week for me!  Tough part is going to be getting it all in!  Two key metrics to hit this week, one is the 18 mile long run on Wednesday morning and a total combined bike volume of 200 miles.  Plus I should swim at least twice.  The tough part is I have to fly to FL for a conference on Saturday morning, so I have to get all of the biking in between now and then.  I have a little time before heading to the airport, but not much (unless I want to get up at 2am).

Happy Monday!!

2013-10-15 6:10 PM

User image

Veteran
Northern CT
Great job Robin!

Ken - you're a machine. Hope you can get your training time in between travel, etc...

Enjoy your taper Eddie.

Went for a nice fall ride this am -- love the changing leaves. Waiting for Friday hoping I get the final go - ahead to start running again.

Talking a friend down from the ledge - talked her into signing up for MCM last year for her 1st marathon and now because of all this stupid shutdown nonsense -- they may have to cancel -- final decision made Saturday...what a mess!!
2013-10-16 8:50 AM

User image

Elite
Romeoville, Il
Great job Robin! Congrats!! glad you enjoyed it here!

Eddie/Ken....you guys are soooooo close now that I can even taste it!

I'm coming to terms with things a little more. Having lots of ups/downs with the PF. Plus, I swear, I've been sick for like a month! Came back from Vegas with a sinus infection and ear infection. I'm still coughing during workouts. I'm doing very few workouts just to stay in shape but not really putting in a lot of time. Enjoying working on my car and my house and catching up with so many things I put aside for the last few years. Not sure I'll ever be able to run again, but just having fun cycling when I want to. I signed up for my coaches CA training camp today so I will be training over the winter for that and the 2 cycling races at the Sea Otter Classic I'll do there. But, if I don't get to do tri's or run again I'm starting to be "ok" with that. Plenty of other stuff to occupy my time now.
2013-10-16 8:56 AM

User image

Pro
Canandaigua NY

Originally posted by Meulen Great job Robin! Congrats!! glad you enjoyed it here! Eddie/Ken....you guys are soooooo close now that I can even taste it! I'm coming to terms with things a little more. Having lots of ups/downs with the PF. Plus, I swear, I've been sick for like a month! Came back from Vegas with a sinus infection and ear infection. I'm still coughing during workouts. I'm doing very few workouts just to stay in shape but not really putting in a lot of time. Enjoying working on my car and my house and catching up with so many things I put aside for the last few years. Not sure I'll ever be able to run again, but just having fun cycling when I want to. I signed up for my coaches CA training camp today so I will be training over the winter for that and the 2 cycling races at the Sea Otter Classic I'll do there. But, if I don't get to do tri's or run again I'm starting to be "ok" with that. Plenty of other stuff to occupy my time now.

Sorry you are still feeling the effects of the sinus and ear infections. 

Glad to hear you are going back to CA for his camp, I remember you had a good time on that this year! 

It is amazing the amount of stuff that gets behind when we do this thing.  Add in my travel schedule and its a wonder the house hasn't fallen down around us!!  My wife is a saint! 

2013-10-16 8:59 AM

User image

Pro
Canandaigua NY

Originally posted by skitri Great job Robin! Ken - you're a machine. Hope you can get your training time in between travel, etc... Enjoy your taper Eddie. Went for a nice fall ride this am -- love the changing leaves. Waiting for Friday hoping I get the final go - ahead to start running again. Talking a friend down from the ledge - talked her into signing up for MCM last year for her 1st marathon and now because of all this stupid shutdown nonsense -- they may have to cancel -- final decision made Saturday...what a mess!!

I hope you get the release!  I agree on fall riding, it has been especially nice this year, I just wish I got out of work earlier to take advantage of it. 

I feel for your friend, it has to be frustrating not knowing if your A race is going to happen.  If it does get cancelled, she should find another one.  I really enjoyed the Harrisburg marathon when I did that in 2007.  It never closes for registration so she could add it last minute.  I did it after the debacle that the Chicago marathon was in 2007.

2013-10-16 9:11 AM

User image

Veteran

I'm coming to terms with things a little more. Having lots of ups/downs with the PF. Plus, I swear, I've been sick for like a month! Came back from Vegas with a sinus infection and ear infection. I'm still coughing during workouts. I'm doing very few workouts just to stay in shape but not really putting in a lot of time. Enjoying working on my car and my house and catching up with so many things I put aside for the last few years. Not sure I'll ever be able to run again, but just having fun cycling when I want to. I signed up for my coaches CA training camp today so I will be training over the winter for that and the 2 cycling races at the Sea Otter Classic I'll do there. But, if I don't get to do tri's or run again I'm starting to be "ok" with that. Plenty of other stuff to occupy my time now.

I have a huge to do list which my wife is not letting me forget about. She actually tells me this morning she is expecting a full go at it the weekend following my event. It will be fun to focus on that and sort of change my mindset which seems to be occupied with finishing this race...
2013-10-16 1:15 PM
in reply to: rquinn23

User image

Veteran
Greensburg, PA
Originally posted by rquinn23

Karen, I posted a YouTube video about my bag preparation--I don't know how helpful it will be but here it is:
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=XjsrDzdBsXg

Thanks for posting the video. It is helpful to see everything laid out and organized in baggies. Did you leave your stuff in the baggies inside the bigger bags? And I really think you should have taken the duckie with you on the bike!!!

Robin - congrats on a great race and for meeting your goal! Looking forward to your race report!

My last bigger weekend is behind me too. I got in a 54 mile bike and a 12 mile run. Surprisingly, they both felt easy. I had my last meeting with my trainer last night. They tried to convince me not to listen to the voices in my head spreading doubt!! And, at least right now, I am feeling relaxed and prepared. I am sure that will change, but for now I am good. My only concern is that I have been feeling like a cold is trying to start. I have been going crazy with the vitamin C, Zycam, and hand washing!
How are you doing Eddie? It sounds like you had a great weekend of training last weekend. Did you see that bib numbers are posted? I am 228!

The weather here has really taken a nose dive today and the forecast is for cold and rain at least through the weekend. Not so good for my last few bikes!

I hope everyone else is doing well.

2013-10-16 2:11 PM
in reply to: gadgetlaw

User image

Veteran
Originally posted by gadgetlaw

Originally posted by rquinn23

Karen, I posted a YouTube video about my bag preparation--I don't know how helpful it will be but here it is:
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=XjsrDzdBsXg

Thanks for posting the video. It is helpful to see everything laid out and organized in baggies. Did you leave your stuff in the baggies inside the bigger bags? And I really think you should have taken the duckie with you on the bike!!!

Robin - congrats on a great race and for meeting your goal! Looking forward to your race report!

My last bigger weekend is behind me too. I got in a 54 mile bike and a 12 mile run. Surprisingly, they both felt easy. I had my last meeting with my trainer last night. They tried to convince me not to listen to the voices in my head spreading doubt!! And, at least right now, I am feeling relaxed and prepared. I am sure that will change, but for now I am good. My only concern is that I have been feeling like a cold is trying to start. I have been going crazy with the vitamin C, Zycam, and hand washing!
How are you doing Eddie? It sounds like you had a great weekend of training last weekend. Did you see that bib numbers are posted? I am 228!

The weather here has really taken a nose dive today and the forecast is for cold and rain at least through the weekend. Not so good for my last few bikes!

I hope everyone else is doing well.

With two little ones the cold concern is big for me. I started taking Emergen-c immune today. Every kid at daycare seems to have a runny nose.

I wish I could say that my last two big days felt easy, but I would say they felt comfortable. With the limited about of training I have had, the mind games are definitely going to start, but I am not putting any pressure on myself. The bottom line for me is that I have accomplished more during training than I could ever imagine. Through life, I have started a lot of things I never finished, but this I have. I have consistently training and taken care of my body despite any schedule conflicts and can say than other than the last two Sundays, I have not missed a single family activity of event.

Now most importantly, the last few weeks I have learned to ride and run within my self and how that feels. If I could do that in 10 days, I feel confident I could finish. I actually like colder rainy days because I sweat a lot. But of course the wind could become a factor.
I saw the bib numbers, I am 226.... I am starting to separate the items I will need and start getting everything in place. Other than a few swims and bike rides, I don't thing I will be running much. My left Knee and right ankle are a little sore and need them to heal some.

My motto for the race: Bring it.....
2013-10-16 10:49 PM

User image

Expert
Chugiak, Alaska

So sorry the PF still has you on the sidelines, PF sucks! Glad you are getting some projects crossed off the "to do" list!

Back home, and while still sore - I'm recovering .Back to the gym in the next day or two and looking forward to doing something besides run!

2013-10-18 12:31 PM

User image

Pro
Canandaigua NY

TGIF everyone!!!

I don't think we have anyone racing this week, but speak up if I am wrong.

I am leaving work early to get a couple of hours on the trainer this afternoon and a couple more tomorrow to round out the week.  200 miles was the goal for the week and I should hit that.  I have a 10:00 am flight to Orlando in the morning for a work conference, but timing was good as I start tapering.  Still have some longer sessions, but they are getting shorter.  Plus more rest days! 

Had a wonderful massage today at lunch time where she made me want to scream when she was working the hamstrings and ITB, but it always does me good afterwords. 

Have a great weekend everyone and train well!!

2013-10-18 12:31 PM

User image

Veteran
Greensburg, PA
Originally posted by ramiedd

With two little ones the cold concern is big for me. I started taking Emergen-c immune today. Every kid at daycare seems to have a runny nose.

I wish I could say that my last two big days felt easy, but I would say they felt comfortable. With the limited about of training I have had, the mind games are definitely going to start, but I am not putting any pressure on myself. The bottom line for me is that I have accomplished more during training than I could ever imagine. Through life, I have started a lot of things I never finished, but this I have. I have consistently training and taken care of my body despite any schedule conflicts and can say than other than the last two Sundays, I have not missed a single family activity of event.

Now most importantly, the last few weeks I have learned to ride and run within my self and how that feels. If I could do that in 10 days, I feel confident I could finish. I actually like colder rainy days because I sweat a lot. But of course the wind could become a factor.
I saw the bib numbers, I am 226.... I am starting to separate the items I will need and start getting everything in place. Other than a few swims and bike rides, I don't thing I will be running much. My left Knee and right ankle are a little sore and need them to heal some.

Yes, maybe comfortable is a better word for it. I have never felt so good on my bike as I have since my bike fit. I love my new saddle that I got this year. I really just love being on my bike now and feel like I can ride for hours without discomfort. I find that I just get into a zone when running and the time seems to pass by without me even realizing how many miles I have run. But, I absolutely have doubts! When I think about the day as a whole my mind can just not comprehend the concept of moving myself 140.6 miles! It seems so ridiculous to even attempt!! But I think that the times when I feel excited about the race are outnumbering the times when I am scared - at least for now.
You should be feel good for making your family a priority. I really respect those that have children and are still able to squeeze in the training needed. Congrats on that!
How is the taper feeling? I must admit that I am incredibly restless. I am constantly feeling like I should be out doing something. I just don't know what to do with myself when I went home after work this week instead of riding my bike and when I actually got to sleep in a bit instead of going swimming. But, I think that I am seeing the purpose of tapering, because in my workouts this week I have seen myself faster than ever in all three areas! Enjoy next week!
2013-10-18 1:28 PM
in reply to: gadgetlaw

User image

Veteran
Originally posted by gadgetlaw

Originally posted by ramiedd

Yes, maybe comfortable is a better word for it. I have never felt so good on my bike as I have since my bike fit. I love my new saddle that I got this year. I really just love being on my bike now and feel like I can ride for hours without discomfort. I find that I just get into a zone when running and the time seems to pass by without me even realizing how many miles I have run. But, I absolutely have doubts! When I think about the day as a whole my mind can just not comprehend the concept of moving myself 140.6 miles! It seems so ridiculous to even attempt!! But I think that the times when I feel excited about the race are outnumbering the times when I am scared - at least for now.
You should be feel good for making your family a priority. I really respect those that have children and are still able to squeeze in the training needed. Congrats on that!
How is the taper feeling? I must admit that I am incredibly restless. I am constantly feeling like I should be out doing something. I just don't know what to do with myself when I went home after work this week instead of riding my bike and when I actually got to sleep in a bit instead of going swimming. But, I think that I am seeing the purpose of tapering, because in my workouts this week I have seen myself faster than ever in all three areas! Enjoy next week!

Interesting you talk about thinking of the day. I have tried my best not to think about the day..... In my mind, I have the day broken down into a bunch of small bites. All with a purposed and a mind set within it.
So the swim is the swim get out of the water in time is priority one.
The bike for me is broken down into 4-28 mile segments as far as what the next milestone is but within that, Aid station to aid station as it relates to how much I need to make sure I drink.
On the run, breaking it down into 4 segments of 6.5 miles each since it is an out and back plus this is a distance that I can compare to the running trail I take so I am hoping to relate that to the B2B course.

I did this a lot during the last two big days. I just concentrated in the next section. Not the rest of the day.

In my mind, each segment has a consumption purpose how many bottles to drink, when to eat a cliff bar, when to reward myself with a salty almond bar etc.... I hope it works.
2013-10-19 10:20 AM

User image

Well, my last hard workout is in the bank. My motivation really dropped this last week, but I think it's probably OK. I got my last brick done, anyway. Now I just have to figure out how to get myself and my stuff to Austin in one piece and enjoy the experience!
New Thread
BT Development Mentor Program Archives » kenj triathletes in training - IM and HIM focused - Closed Rss Feed  

of 63