BT Development Mentor Program Archives » kaburns1214 and UHCoog's Mentor Group-Closed Rss Feed  
Moderators: alicefoeller Reply

of 86

2013-09-18 9:01 AM
in reply to: everlong

User image

Pro
CyFair
Subject: RE: kaburns1214 and UHCoog's Mentor Group-Closed

Originally posted by everlong
Originally posted by uhcoog Houston Marathon in January, NOLA 70.3 in April are paid for.  After that I'm looking for a summer and fall half.  I'm thinking maybe Boulder and Austin, or if I can't find a summer one I'll probably go to Miami for the 70.3 in the fall since I have free room and board.
Boulder would be some interesting climbs for you. I've thought about going down to Miami for that one. Looks like a lot of fun.

You know if you look at the bike profile it isn't that bad.  You go 5k feet to 5500 really quick and then it's down hill and rollers.  As far as Miami goes I'm pretty familiar with the bike and run courses.  Flat and fast.  The bike course turnaround in Miami is right about where my Dad puts his boat into the Everglades to fish.

2013-09-18 9:02 AM

User image

Haymarket, VA
No concrete plans for next year as of yet.  I do know I'd like to mix in some olympic distance races, and possibly a HIM.  We'll see how the off season training goes.  I do know that I want to learn flip turns this off season, and I'm going to get a season pass to the OWS at my local quarry at the beginning of the year.
2013-09-18 10:16 AM
in reply to: uhcoog

User image

Expert
Originally posted by uhcoog

Originally posted by everlong
Originally posted by uhcoog Houston Marathon in January, NOLA 70.3 in April are paid for.  After that I'm looking for a summer and fall half.  I'm thinking maybe Boulder and Austin, or if I can't find a summer one I'll probably go to Miami for the 70.3 in the fall since I have free room and board.
Boulder would be some interesting climbs for you. I've thought about going down to Miami for that one. Looks like a lot of fun.

You know if you look at the bike profile it isn't that bad.  You go 5k feet to 5500 really quick and then it's down hill and rollers.  As far as Miami goes I'm pretty familiar with the bike and run courses.  Flat and fast.  The bike course turnaround in Miami is right about where my Dad puts his boat into the Everglades to fish.

Very cool on Miami.

Doing any physical activity over 5000 ft is interesting. My oldest and I were hiking Mount Washington which peaks at 6289 and we were about a mile from the summit when the sky turned black. I really didn't want to be stuck out in hail or even snow so we started really humping it. Just trying to hike at a fast pace I could feel my heart rate was really high.
2013-09-18 6:33 PM
in reply to: #4723981

User image

Veteran
I really don't have a clue what I am going to do. I think i will probably do Pumpkinman again because I want to go under 5 hours and some of the usual road races. I would like to throw in another HIM earlier in the year but no clue which one. There is also a 2.4 mile ocean swim called the Peaks to Portland that I may get up the guts to do.
2013-09-18 10:30 PM
in reply to: ccmpsyd

User image

Extreme Veteran
NW Georgia
I'll start thinking about next year in 46 days. Right now I have no plans whatsoever.
2013-09-19 9:39 AM
in reply to: tdl1972

User image

Pro
CyFair
So apparently they're trying to fit this weekend's 5150 in as wetsuit optional.  Problem is my wetsuit is in Kelly's garage.  LOL.  Speed suit it is

2013-09-19 10:56 AM

User image

Extreme Veteran
Originally posted by uhcoog

So apparently they're trying to fit this weekend's 5150 in as wetsuit optional.  Problem is my wetsuit is in Kelly's garage.  LOL.  Speed suit it is

Is 5150 an olympic? If that's the case, you'll be good with the speed suit.
2013-09-19 12:43 PM
in reply to: jarvy01

User image

Pro
CyFair

Originally posted by jarvy01
Originally posted by uhcoog So apparently they're trying to fit this weekend's 5150 in as wetsuit optional.  Problem is my wetsuit is in Kelly's garage.  LOL.  Speed suit it is
Is 5150 an olympic? If that's the case, you'll be good with the speed suit.

Yeah I just get worried about peoples false sense of courage they get wrapped up in neoprene.

2013-09-20 11:21 AM

User image

Extreme Veteran
Bristow
Hey everyone! Still not news on all the interviews I have had lately. Training stopped last week to me tweaking my ankle at my daughters soccer practice. Not to self, coach don't play I am slowly progressing back this week on it and it feels good so far.

Just wanted to check in and say I am alive and well. Good to see everyone else is the same.

I will try to be back on more after the baby next week. C-Section is schedule for Thursday!! We really can't wait. I tell you all the preparing the house and everything that goes with that is a workout in itself.

2013-09-20 2:18 PM
in reply to: kidtri33

User image

Expert
Originally posted by kidtri33

Hey everyone! Still not news on all the interviews I have had lately. Training stopped last week to me tweaking my ankle at my daughters soccer practice. Not to self, coach don't play I am slowly progressing back this week on it and it feels good so far.

Just wanted to check in and say I am alive and well. Good to see everyone else is the same.

I will try to be back on more after the baby next week. C-Section is schedule for Thursday!! We really can't wait. I tell you all the preparing the house and everything that goes with that is a workout in itself.

Good luck!
2013-09-20 2:24 PM

User image

Haymarket, VA

Originally posted by kidtri33 Hey everyone! Still not news on all the interviews I have had lately. Training stopped last week to me tweaking my ankle at my daughters soccer practice. Not to self, coach don't play I am slowly progressing back this week on it and it feels good so far. Just wanted to check in and say I am alive and well. Good to see everyone else is the same. I will try to be back on more after the baby next week. C-Section is schedule for Thursday!! We really can't wait. I tell you all the preparing the house and everything that goes with that is a workout in itself.

Best of luck buddy!

2013-09-20 2:30 PM
in reply to: mleech77

User image

Extreme Veteran
Bristow
Thanks guys! I will be sure to update everyone on what we are having! I am so excited to find out!
2013-09-22 7:20 AM

User image

Veteran
Larkin - Good luck and best wishes my friend. Keep us posted. Rest that ankle.

So my two week banishment from training is almost up. It has been great not to train but I have also been rather antsy to get back to it. The first two weekends in a long time in which the majority of my days have not been taken up with s, b, r.

I think I have decided on my two HIMs for next year - Rev 3 Quassy and Pumpkinman. Kind of excited for Quassy as it looks to be a tough race.
2013-09-23 9:48 AM
in reply to: ccmpsyd

User image

Pro
CyFair

So 5150 yesterday was interesting.  We had our first cold front of the year come through on Friday/Saturday and so the winds on the island were rough.  20+ sustained with gusts over 30.  It kicked up the surf so much that they canceled the swim.  Looking at the water I have swam in worse, but given focus on swim safety I understand.  So they started the bike TT style.  In the end I nabbed a HyVee spot with 9th in my AG. 

Today is an off day for me.  I'm fairly sore.

2013-09-23 1:14 PM

User image

Expert
TT starts are fun. Congrats on the finish.

Short swim and run today.
2013-09-23 2:05 PM

User image

Extreme Veteran
NW Georgia
I did my second five hour ride this past weekend with less than desirable results. I'm now regretting making more than one change, because I'm not sure which is to blame for the problems. This week's nutrition was a bagel with Nutella about an hour before. I've done this several times in the past, so I don't think this was the culprit. I started with honey stinger waffles at :30 and continued them at the bottom of each hour. At the top of the hour I went with Gu Roctanes. My fluid intake was lower this week with the temperature about 20 degrees cooler. I started feeling really full around 3:15 and really didn't want the scheduled waffle at 3:30. Forced it down and the 4:00 Roctane seemed ok. Then started having GI issues around the 4:20-4:30 mark. Not bad enough that I had to stop, but I was uncomfortable. I ended up not eating anything after the 4:00 Roctane, which predictably left me low on energy toward the end of my ride. I was able to get back to my truck and rack my bike before needing a pit stop.

I am thinking about cutting the waffles back to every 1.5 or 2 hours and trying something else instead of the Roctane this weekend. Any other suggestions or ideas would really be appreciated.

2013-09-25 1:52 PM

User image

Extreme Veteran
NW Georgia
Apparently I have killed the group. RIP
2013-09-26 2:28 PM

User image

Expert
It's just that time of the year where people don't have events scheduled and are a bit fried from a long season.

I wish I had good advice on nutrition and hydration but I struggle with it myself.

Half hour on the trainer and a 6 mile run this morning.
2013-09-27 4:23 AM

User image

Extreme Veteran
Originally posted by tdl1972

I did my second five hour ride this past weekend with less than desirable results. I'm now regretting making more than one change, because I'm not sure which is to blame for the problems. This week's nutrition was a bagel with Nutella about an hour before. I've done this several times in the past, so I don't think this was the culprit. I started with honey stinger waffles at :30 and continued them at the bottom of each hour. At the top of the hour I went with Gu Roctanes. My fluid intake was lower this week with the temperature about 20 degrees cooler. I started feeling really full around 3:15 and really didn't want the scheduled waffle at 3:30. Forced it down and the 4:00 Roctane seemed ok. Then started having GI issues around the 4:20-4:30 mark. Not bad enough that I had to stop, but I was uncomfortable. I ended up not eating anything after the 4:00 Roctane, which predictably left me low on energy toward the end of my ride. I was able to get back to my truck and rack my bike before needing a pit stop.

I am thinking about cutting the waffles back to every 1.5 or 2 hours and trying something else instead of the Roctane this weekend. Any other suggestions or ideas would really be appreciated.

You haven't killed the thread! It's just been a long season. I think you consumed too many waffles. Do you drink sports drink? I would do sports drink + 1 gel every hour, and then a waffle at 1 hour and 3 hour marks (maybe a third waffle in there somewhere). You do not want to start getting GI issues on the bike......that run will be a total beeotch.

How many more long rides do you have left to practice?
2013-09-27 7:19 AM

User image

Extreme Veteran
Is Kelly no longer mentoring here?
2013-09-27 9:07 AM

User image

Extreme Veteran
NW Georgia
Thanks, Jen. I am doing my long ride for this week today. Including that ride, I have three at five hours or more and a four hour ride left on the schedule. I have been drinking Perform since that's what's on the course.

2013-09-27 11:29 AM

User image

Extreme Veteran

Thanks, Jen. I am doing my long ride for this week today. Including that ride, I have three at five hours or more and a four hour ride left on the schedule. I have been drinking Perform since that's what's on the course.

Maybe try fewer waffles and see how it goes? How much sports drink are you consuming per hour?

For my IM next year, I'm doing 100% liquid nutrition in the form of sports drink and gels. Rev 3 will have Performance Energy Blends on the run course, and I'll indulge in those, but they're also liquid. I seriously stopped in almost every port-o-john during the first 18 miles of the marathon portion of IMMT. By the time I hit mile 20, I was completely dehydrated and retching (causing me to abandon all nutrition for the last 10k). My last 10k did me in as far as race time goes. I might have been able to come in 20-30 minute earlier had I not had those GI issues on run. I wasn't exactly speedy for the first 20 miles, but I really hit the wall during those last 6. Bonk Breaker bars are delicious but I don't think I can consume them during an IM. They worked during training, so I thought I'd be fine during the race. It's so incredibly individual. It's good that you're trying different things.
2013-09-27 11:35 AM

User image

Haymarket, VA
I still have one more sprint to go this season and then it's time to figure out what to get going on for the off season.  Talked to the wife and the half iron is definitely a go for next year.  
2013-09-28 9:38 AM

User image

Extreme Veteran
NW Georgia
Did my long ride yesterday so I could go to the UGA/LSU game today. Nothing on the bike until one hour in. Roctane at hour one, waffle at hour two, then another Roctane at hour three. Started feeling discomfort around 3:20ish. Took nothing but Perform the rest of the ride and cut it a little short at 4:30 (instead of 5). At this point, I have to think it's the Roctane. I'm gonna keep the waffles (but cut them down to every other hour) and try something else in between. I've been using the Perform all summer, so I don't think it's the problem. The amount I drink varies with the heat. I'm trying to get at least 24oz/hr, but I sometimes get 30+ when it's warmer.

Jen, you mentioned diluting Gu's ... How do you go about that and what's the ratio?

2013-09-28 10:27 AM

User image

Veteran

I can't really speak to nutrition for IM planning. My nutrition for my HIM was 1/2 waffle at 30 and 1:00 after that it was gels every 30 min or so and drinking perform every 10 min. Eating waffles every hour seems like it would be really filling.
New Thread
BT Development Mentor Program Archives » kaburns1214 and UHCoog's Mentor Group-Closed Rss Feed  

of 86