BT Development Mentor Program Archives » kaburns1214 and UHCoog's Mentor Group-Closed Rss Feed  
Moderators: alicefoeller Reply

of 86

2013-09-28 1:31 PM
in reply to: tdl1972

User image

Extreme Veteran
Subject: RE: kaburns1214 and UHCoog's Mentor Group-Closed
Originally posted by tdl1972

Did my long ride yesterday so I could go to the UGA/LSU game today. Nothing on the bike until one hour in. Roctane at hour one, waffle at hour two, then another Roctane at hour three. Started feeling discomfort around 3:20ish. Took nothing but Perform the rest of the ride and cut it a little short at 4:30 (instead of 5). At this point, I have to think it's the Roctane. I'm gonna keep the waffles (but cut them down to every other hour) and try something else in between. I've been using the Perform all summer, so I don't think it's the problem. The amount I drink varies with the heat. I'm trying to get at least 24oz/hr, but I sometimes get 30+ when it's warmer.

Jen, you mentioned diluting Gu's ... How do you go about that and what's the ratio?

Why don't you try a gel without caffeine for the bike? Then use caffeine on the run course. I put 8 gels in a 24 oz. water bottle and fill the rest with water. Shake it up and put on frame. I shake really well and drink 1/8 of it every time I want to consume a gel. I did this for my HIM too and it worked like a charm.

What's the discomfort? Gas? Bloating? Nausea?

2013-09-29 9:32 AM
in reply to: jarvy01

User image

Veteran
David - Very cool. You went to the game. I noticed that you said your location is in NW Georgia. Where about? When I was in graduate school in Atlanta, I worked at NW Regional Hospital in Rome. I used to fish the Chatuga and (another river in the western mountains) a lot.

Group - Having finished my first official season, I have begun to think about goals for next year and the next few years. I definitely made a lot of gains this year but that is to be expected. I was wondering for those of you who have been doing this for a while, when did you notice your progress slowing down or have you?
2013-09-29 5:47 PM
in reply to: ccmpsyd

User image

Extreme Veteran
Originally posted by ccmpsyd

David - Very cool. You went to the game. I noticed that you said your location is in NW Georgia. Where about? When I was in graduate school in Atlanta, I worked at NW Regional Hospital in Rome. I used to fish the Chatuga and (another river in the western mountains) a lot.

Group - Having finished my first official season, I have begun to think about goals for next year and the next few years. I definitely made a lot of gains this year but that is to be expected. I was wondering for those of you who have been doing this for a while, when did you notice your progress slowing down or have you?

I've only been doing this for 3 years. My progressed slowed down during year 2. I think year 3 was better, I managed to hit more of my goals, and I improved across the board. I'm still waiting for that super big year where everything falls into place (first season was pretty dam good but there was no where to go but up). I think of training in racing in terms of peaks and valleys. I'm hoping next year is a peak

2013-09-30 9:58 AM

User image

Veteran
Originally posted by jarvy01

I've only been doing this for 3 years. My progressed slowed down during year 2. I think year 3 was better, I managed to hit more of my goals, and I improved across the board. I'm still waiting for that super big year where everything falls into place (first season was pretty dam good but there was no where to go but up). I think of training in racing in terms of peaks and valleys. I'm hoping next year is a peak

You don't think finishing your first IM was a big year?
2013-09-30 11:09 AM

User image

Extreme Veteran

In some ways, yes Now that I have the first time jitters behind me, I'm ready to focus on doing better at this distance.

2013-09-30 2:01 PM

User image

Veteran

In some ways, yes Now that I have the first time jitters behind me, I'm ready to focus on doing better at this distance.

That reminds me, and this is something I have wondered about, after you finished your IM do you find thinking that it was not as hard as you thought and why did you get so nervous? Do you think nerves impacted your performance in anyway?

I know HIM is not IM but after I finished mine, I thought...why the f%% did I get so jacked up about this.

2013-09-30 3:03 PM

User image

Pro
CyFair

Originally posted by ccmpsyd David - Very cool. You went to the game. I noticed that you said your location is in NW Georgia. Where about? When I was in graduate school in Atlanta, I worked at NW Regional Hospital in Rome. I used to fish the Chatuga and (another river in the western mountains) a lot. Group - Having finished my first official season, I have begun to think about goals for next year and the next few years. I definitely made a lot of gains this year but that is to be expected. I was wondering for those of you who have been doing this for a while, when did you notice your progress slowing down or have you?
That reminds me, and this is something I have wondered about, after you finished your IM do you find thinking that it was not as hard as you thought and why did you get so nervous? Do you think nerves impacted your performance in anyway? I know HIM is not IM but after I finished mine, I thought...why the f%% did I get so jacked up about this.

It's not that it's easier than you thought it would be.  It's EVERY bit as hard.  You just realize you can handle it.  Then you start to think of every spot you f'ed up during the race. 

Oh and the nerves go away about 1k into the swim.  Or at least they did for me.

2013-09-30 4:27 PM
in reply to: uhcoog

User image

Veteran
Originally posted by uhcoog

Originally posted by ccmpsyd David - Very cool. You went to the game. I noticed that you said your location is in NW Georgia. Where about? When I was in graduate school in Atlanta, I worked at NW Regional Hospital in Rome. I used to fish the Chatuga and (another river in the western mountains) a lot. Group - Having finished my first official season, I have begun to think about goals for next year and the next few years. I definitely made a lot of gains this year but that is to be expected. I was wondering for those of you who have been doing this for a while, when did you notice your progress slowing down or have you?
That reminds me, and this is something I have wondered about, after you finished your IM do you find thinking that it was not as hard as you thought and why did you get so nervous? Do you think nerves impacted your performance in anyway? I know HIM is not IM but after I finished mine, I thought...why the f%% did I get so jacked up about this.

It's not that it's easier than you thought it would be.  It's EVERY bit as hard.  You just realize you can handle it.  Then you start to think of every spot you f'ed up during the race. 

Oh and the nerves go away about 1k into the swim.  Or at least they did for me.

Good point.
2013-09-30 10:11 PM

User image

Extreme Veteran
NW Georgia

Dallas. 12 miles west of the Marietta Square. I try to get up to Rome a couple times each summer to catch the Braves. Didn't happen this year, though.

2013-10-03 12:07 PM

User image

Extreme Veteran
Bristow
So lots of news...
First, less than 4 weeks till MCM. Training hasn't been like I want but I will take considering everything going on.

Second, Baby Harper Kensington joined us last Thursday! Our baby girl totally surprised us, she was 8lbs5oz and her and Momma are doing great!

Finally, I got a job and start Monday!!

Needless to say life has been busy! Now I can really look forward to MCM, and next tri season. Hopefully....once I get some normal sleep haha!
2013-10-04 11:34 AM
in reply to: kidtri33

User image

Veteran
Congrats (again) Larkin!! Probably too soon to begin running with her in a jogging stroller.

I have a Conconi bike test this weekend...that should be interesting.

2013-10-04 2:12 PM

User image

Expert
That's awesome Larkin congrats on all of your good news you deserve it. Tell mamma I said hi and congrats as well.
2013-10-04 2:29 PM
in reply to: everlong

User image

Extreme Veteran
NW Georgia
Congratulation, Larkin!! Great news on both fronts!

2013-10-07 7:34 AM

User image

Haymarket, VA
That's awesome news Larkin, congrats!
2013-10-07 12:27 PM
in reply to: mleech77

User image

Veteran
So I had a bike test and swim analysis this weekend. Pleased with my fitness and power levels for the bike. Pleased to figure out why I still suck at swimming. Turns out that it is a pretty common problem among males (joke). Specifically, my legs sink and drag causing a funky kick sort of thing going on. So this means lots of kicking and body position drills for me to teach me how to engage those muscles. I think it was the first time that I have been ever told that my legs are kind of muscular. However, it was not the first time that I have been told that I have no butt - which would help keep me afloat.
2013-10-07 1:20 PM

User image

Pro
CyFair

Originally posted by ccmpsyd So I had a bike test and swim analysis this weekend. Pleased with my fitness and power levels for the bike. Pleased to figure out why I still suck at swimming. Turns out that it is a pretty common problem among males (joke). Specifically, my legs sink and drag causing a funky kick sort of thing going on. So this means lots of kicking and body position drills for me to teach me how to engage those muscles. I think it was the first time that I have been ever told that my legs are kind of muscular. However, it was not the first time that I have been told that I have no butt - which would help keep me afloat.

Welcome to the club!!!

2013-10-07 2:19 PM
in reply to: uhcoog

User image

Expert
Half hour swim and 6 mile run this morning. It was July humid on the run.
2013-10-08 10:52 AM

User image

Extreme Veteran
Originally posted by kidtri33

So lots of news...
First, less than 4 weeks till MCM. Training hasn't been like I want but I will take considering everything going on.

Second, Baby Harper Kensington joined us last Thursday! Our baby girl totally surprised us, she was 8lbs5oz and her and Momma are doing great!

Finally, I got a job and start Monday!!

Needless to say life has been busy! Now I can really look forward to MCM, and next tri season. Hopefully....once I get some normal sleep haha!

Congrats Larkin!!! Hoping I get to see you at MCM!!
2013-10-16 8:19 PM
in reply to: DDVMM

User image

Extreme Veteran
NW Georgia
I guess with all my long workouts behind me I am officially tapering. I don't feel like I've done enough, but it is what it is. Got all my bike workouts in, missed a couple of long runs along the way and certainly didn't put enough into the swim. I hope I am as strong as I think I am in the water. Otherwise it will be a short day.

2013-10-18 8:12 AM

User image

Veteran

I guess with all my long workouts behind me I am officially tapering. I don't feel like I've done enough, but it is what it is. Got all my bike workouts in, missed a couple of long runs along the way and certainly didn't put enough into the swim. I hope I am as strong as I think I am in the water. Otherwise it will be a short day.

Enjoy your taper. When do head down? What is your bib number?
2013-10-21 11:10 PM

User image

Extreme Veteran
NW Georgia

Enjoy your taper. When do head down? What is your bib number?

Wednesday. # 2215

2013-10-22 12:50 PM

User image

Expert
Good luck, kick @ss.
2013-10-24 11:05 AM
in reply to: everlong

User image

Veteran
Will be following David. Good luck, be fast and I hope you enjoy yourself.
2013-10-24 11:28 AM

User image

Veteran
Finally uploaded my training data into logs from Training Peaks. Things are up to date.
2013-11-01 10:53 AM

User image

Expert
Decent October building a base again. Lots of low intensity. Diet still sucks.

Swim: 4h 00m - 11000 Yd
Bike: 10h 30m - 178.63 Mi
Run: 15h 40m 31s - 97.38 Mi
New Thread
BT Development Mentor Program Archives » kaburns1214 and UHCoog's Mentor Group-Closed Rss Feed  

of 86