BT Development Mentor Program Archives » HILDEBEAST'S Mentor Group, CLOSED! Rss Feed  
Moderators: alicefoeller Reply

of 29

2013-08-02 5:13 PM
in reply to: wrkinprogress

User image

Northern Ontario (near Lake Superior)
Subject: RE: HILDEBEAST'S Mentor Group, CLOSED!
Signed up last minute for a sprint tri. It's about a 4 + hr drive from home. Sprint race 750m 20km bike 5 km run. Likely last tri of the season for me as most every other weekend is spoken for with other stuff. I do have a couple of running events in there.

2013-08-02 6:02 PM
in reply to: Jigger

User image

New user
Originally posted by Jigger

Signed up last minute for a sprint tri. It's about a 4 + hr drive from home. Sprint race 750m 20km bike 5 km run. Likely last tri of the season for me as most every other weekend is spoken for with other stuff. I do have a couple of running events in there.

good luck Scott!
2013-08-02 9:09 PM
in reply to: 0

User image

Middle Tennessee
Originally posted by Evergreen

Ohhh I don't want to hear about dropping weight and clothes fitting different - I'm at the Mellow mushroom waiting on a pizza....

I LOVE the Mellow Mushroom!!

My race report is public but here's the link again
http://www.beginnertriathlete.com/RaceLog/races-edit.asp?raceid=248...

Edited by shadow67 2013-08-02 9:16 PM
2013-08-03 5:36 AM
in reply to: shadow67

User image

Expert
Falls Church
Good luck Michelle and Scott!
2013-08-04 4:11 PM
in reply to: hoffsquared

User image

Expert
Originally posted by hoffsquared

Good luck Michelle and Scott!

X2!! Go Beastie racers, go!!
2013-08-04 6:50 PM

User image

New user
i'm thinking of getting a pair of Shimano R088 SPD-SL Shoes and Shimano R540 Road Pedals. any suggestions or violent reactions?

but i am ok with using my running shoes while riding my bike and i won't be joining any HIM anytime soon.

Edited by oldSAP 2013-08-04 11:58 PM

2013-08-05 7:27 AM
in reply to: oldSAP

User image

Expert
Falls Church

Originally posted by oldSAP i'm thinking of getting a pair of Shimano R088 SPD-SL Shoes and Shimano R540 Road Pedals. any suggestions or violent reactions? but i am ok with using my running shoes while riding my bike and i won't be joining any HIM anytime soon.

You will love being clipped in once you get used to it!  I know others have different kind of pedals but I have Shimano SPD's.

2013-08-05 7:29 AM

User image

Expert
Falls Church

Well I had some equipment malfunction over the weekend.  I was on a 27 mile group ride when I noticed something definitely not right with my back tire.  Turns out my rim broke apart from metal fatigue.  Luckily was able to call someone for a ride back to starting point.  I have a new wheel on order.

(blown rim.jpg)

Attachments
----------------
blown rim.jpg (47KB - 20 downloads)
2013-08-05 2:40 PM

User image

Quick update on results.

- there were 39 participants in the triathlon
- 30th out of the water
- bike time was 14/39 
- run time was 13/39

Overall placement of 18th/39 in the triathlon. (3/5 for men 30-39)

The swim is my nemesis. Ha ha. More work required. But I will get it. Another bronze though.
2013-08-05 4:06 PM

User image

http://www.beginnertriathlete.com/discussion/forums/thread-view.asp...

Race report is up. Great race. Kids loved the hotel three story water slide. We rode it with them as they are still a little small to go solo. Nice warm day. Last tri race of the season for me. The rest of the summer is taken up with other events (running races, wedding, work, etc).
Happy with race need to get the swim locked down though. Staying at the sister and brother in laws place for the night for some post race drinks and homemade ribs. Love barbecue ribs. Sitting here smelling them is killing me.

Edited by Jigger 2013-08-05 4:34 PM
2013-08-05 6:24 PM

User image

New user

Originally posted by oldSAP i'm thinking of getting a pair of Shimano R088 SPD-SL Shoes and Shimano R540 Road Pedals. any suggestions or violent reactions? but i am ok with using my running shoes while riding my bike and i won't be joining any HIM anytime soon.

You will love being clipped in once you get used to it!  I know others have different kind of pedals but I have Shimano SPD's.

one thing concerning me is the accidents that happens with people in clipless are usually more serious because they almost always never able to unclip. is this true for most? i've had 1 acquaintance dead and 1 with broken leg.

what happened to your rim? how long have you been using it?

2013-08-06 4:50 AM

User image

Expert
Falls Church
Originally posted by JiggerQuick update on results. - there were 39 participants in the triathlon- 30th out of the water- bike time was 14/39 - run time was 13/39Overall placement of 18th/39 in the triathlon. (3/5 for men 30-39)The swim is my nemesis. Ha ha. More work required. But I will get it. Another bronze though.
Good race. Very steady placement in bike and run. Keep swimming and you will get faster!
2013-08-06 7:00 AM

User image

Expert
Falls Church
Originally posted by oldSAP

one thing concerning me is the accidents that happens with people in clipless are usually more serious because they almost always never able to unclip. is this true for most? i've had 1 acquaintance dead and 1 with broken leg. what happened to your rim? how long have you been using it?

It took me about a month to used to being clipless.  I had one bad fall where I forgot to unclip going up a very steep hill.  I fell from a standing position.  Then I had a few others.  I got to the point where I was going to give up if I fell once within a 7 day period.  But I got through those 7 days and now I am fine.  You will be fine.  Just remember to clip out way before you have to stop as you learn.  By way before...25-50 ft!

My rim is pretty old.  Probably came with the bike (1994).  I put about 10,000 miles on it over the past 4 years.  So I think it was just metal fatigue.

2013-08-06 5:21 PM

User image

Veteran
South Shore, MA
Michelle, hope you had a good race! And nice job on 3rd AG, Scott!!

I had a great time at my first Oly. This race was out in the middle of NOWHERE!! Total boonies. But it was fantastic. Beautiful rural venue and the weather turned out to be fantastic. It was raining as I pulled in and set up transition but totally cleared up right before race start. I still have to write up my RR and will post it as soon as I'm able. I think my overall time was about 3:10. I did fine on the swim, held back a bit on the bike to save my legs for the run since I'd never done this distance before. And my run was average. I could have done better on transitions and bike. But overall I'm so happy with the race experience and I felt great during and following the race. So now I'm itching to do an HIM next season, ha! Thanks for the inspires, they really meant a lot!

I think I'm done for tris this summer. Just a HM left on the schedule for next month, so lots of running to do! And we're on vacation next week, so not sure I'll be on BT that much. Have a great week, everyone!
2013-08-06 6:27 PM

User image

New user

It took me about a month to used to being clipless.  I had one bad fall where I forgot to unclip going up a very steep hill.  I fell from a standing position.  Then I had a few others.  I got to the point where I was going to give up if I fell once within a 7 day period.  But I got through those 7 days and now I am fine.  You will be fine.  Just remember to clip out way before you have to stop as you learn.  By way before...25-50 ft!

My rim is pretty old.  Probably came with the bike (1994).  I put about 10,000 miles on it over the past 4 years.  So I think it was just metal fatigue.

so it's a 100% on going clipless.

wow you've got lots of miles on your bike there.
2013-08-07 5:50 PM

User image

Veteran
South Shore, MA
Finally posted my RR: http://www.beginnertriathlete.com/discussion/forums/thread-view.asp...

My overall time was 3:12. I could have pushed more on bike and moved my butt faster through T1 and T2. But I'm really happy with how my race went since I'd never done this distance before. I felt great at the end and definitely felt like I could have kept going. It was a really cool race with a laid back vibe. I will definitely always remember this race, such a great experience!

2013-08-07 7:42 PM

User image

so it's a 100% on going clipless.

wow you've got lots of miles on your bike there.

Clip less is the only way.
2013-08-07 7:43 PM
in reply to: kpringle

User image

Originally posted by kpringle

Finally posted my RR: http://www.beginnertriathlete.com/discussion/forums/thread-view.asp...

My overall time was 3:12. I could have pushed more on bike and moved my butt faster through T1 and T2. But I'm really happy with how my race went since I'd never done this distance before. I felt great at the end and definitely felt like I could have kept going. It was a really cool race with a laid back vibe. I will definitely always remember this race, such a great experience!

Sounds like you enjoyed the event commented in your RR.

2013-08-07 7:49 PM

User image

Went for a run tonight started off not sure of distance I was going to run 3-5-10 km. I don't follow a training plan and just train by feel. I might try a plan for next season as I'm kicking the idea around of entering a HIM. Ended up running a 10 km distance and beating my PR by one minute and one second. Running is coming along nicely now I just gotta figure out that swimming part.
2013-08-07 9:40 PM

User image

New user

Went for a run tonight started off not sure of distance I was going to run 3-5-10 km. I don't follow a training plan and just train by feel. I might try a plan for next season as I'm kicking the idea around of entering a HIM. Ended up running a 10 km distance and beating my PR by one minute and one second. Running is coming along nicely now I just gotta figure out that swimming part.

1:01 slashed off your PR? that's huge!
2013-08-07 9:59 PM

User image

1:01 slashed off your PR? that's huge!

Thanks. I'm focusing on running for the next bit. Race this weekend then a hafl marathon in September. I will still swim and bike but my focus will be running. Tri season is done for me. No more local events that I can fit into my schedule. It was a fun first season.going to use the fall winter to get that swimming down then I won't have to chase as many people down on the bike and run next season.
Tri bike shopping starts soon. Looking at the shiv not sure of the fit but I like the look of the bike. Again only if the fit is right.

2013-08-08 8:27 AM

User image

Veteran
Roll Tide!!

so it's a 100% on going clipless. wow you've got lots of miles on your bike there.

I have been clipless  since the beginning of July and have not fell yet- and I am fairly clumsy and unbalanced- BUT it keeps me mindful of my feet :-) Anyway- love it very efficient and my speed had definitely picked up.

2013-08-08 8:33 AM

User image

Veteran
Roll Tide!!

My last tri is 10/5 and I think I will probably not keep up my swimming, just when I am starting to feel so strong in the water but it is such a hassle driving to the pool I really have  to make myself go now, I know i will not when race is over. I really want to keep up my bike and focus on running through the winter and do an HM in the spring.

Scott- I minute off your running PR on a 10K is awesome!!!

Congratulations, Kristen, Michelle, & Scott!! Off to read race reports!!! Love them!!!

2013-08-08 8:54 AM

User image

Veteran
Roll Tide!!

one more post: in beach weekends, Homecoming, and other drama related news:

I had a condo for the weekend of my tri 10/3 -10/6. Found out high-school Jr. son's homecoming was 10/4. Called condo owner and due to cancellation was able to change reservation to 9/26- 9/30. Hubby agreed ot get up @ 3 and drive me to race. Just found out today they moved homecoming to 9/27 Frown I give up. I guess we will have 2 days without son Smile but come back & pick him up Saturday morning Undecided only thing is he turns 16 the 29th so no driving. SO if I am gone who picks up flowers & all of the other mom duties???Tongue out

Edited by Evergreen 2013-08-08 8:56 AM
2013-08-08 12:19 PM
in reply to: kpringle

User image

Expert
Falls Church

Originally posted by kpringle Finally posted my RR: http://www.beginnertriathlete.com/discussion/forums/thread-view.asp... My overall time was 3:12. I could have pushed more on bike and moved my butt faster through T1 and T2. But I'm really happy with how my race went since I'd never done this distance before. I felt great at the end and definitely felt like I could have kept going. It was a really cool race with a laid back vibe. I will definitely always remember this race, such a great experience!

Glad you had a good race and good time.  Pretty fast crowd you were racing with!

New Thread
BT Development Mentor Program Archives » HILDEBEAST'S Mentor Group, CLOSED! Rss Feed  

of 29