BT Development Mentor Program Archives » HILDEBEAST'S Mentor Group, CLOSED! Rss Feed  
Moderators: alicefoeller Reply

of 29

2013-08-08 12:21 PM
in reply to: Evergreen

User image

Expert
Falls Church
Subject: RE: HILDEBEAST'S Mentor Group, CLOSED!
Originally posted by Evergreen

one more post: in beach weekends, Homecoming, and other drama related news:

I had a condo for the weekend of my tri 10/3 -10/6. Found out high-school Jr. son's homecoming was 10/4. Called condo owner and due to cancellation was able to change reservation to 9/26- 9/30. Hubby agreed ot get up @ 3 and drive me to race. Just found out today they moved homecoming to 9/27 Frown I give up. I guess we will have 2 days without son Smile but come back & pick him up Saturday morning Undecided only thing is he turns 16 the 29th so no driving. SO if I am gone who picks up flowers & all of the other mom duties???Tongue out

Schedules...

2013-08-08 6:04 PM

User image

New user
Originally posted by Evergreen

I have been clipless  since the beginning of July and have not fell yet- and I am fairly clumsy and unbalanced- BUT it keeps me mindful of my feet :-) Anyway- love it very efficient and my speed had definitely picked up.

i'm convinced! might get the shimano r088 and shimano r540 pedals with cleats.
2013-08-09 3:57 PM
in reply to: hoffsquared

User image

Veteran
South Shore, MA
Originally posted by hoffsquared

Originally posted by kpringle Finally posted my RR: http://www.beginnertriathlete.com/discussion/forums/thread-view.asp... My overall time was 3:12. I could have pushed more on bike and moved my butt faster through T1 and T2. But I'm really happy with how my race went since I'd never done this distance before. I felt great at the end and definitely felt like I could have kept going. It was a really cool race with a laid back vibe. I will definitely always remember this race, such a great experience!

Glad you had a good race and good time.  Pretty fast crowd you were racing with!

thank you for saying that it was a fast crowd! i thought i didn't do too badly until i saw that i was virtually last place in my AG! and only had about 20 people cross the finish line after me. (i'm normally a right in the middle MOPer.) oh well, gives me something to work toward for next season, haha!!
2013-08-10 12:10 PM
in reply to: 0

User image

Northern Ontario (near Lake Superior)
Paju mountain race is done 55:31 time. Top local male. 4th in division. 14th overall for males.

http://www.beginnertriathlete.com/discussion/forums/thread-view.asp...

Edited by Jigger 2013-08-12 2:54 AM
2013-08-12 9:01 AM
in reply to: Jigger

User image

Expert
Temple, TX

I am baaa-aaack, Beasties!!!  Truthfully I did not check any logs while I was gone, although I did check the website now and again.  I find the new BT very difficult to manage on my phone. 

We had a great trip, 2 day drive to Jacksonville, FL to visit Ron's folks and his sister.  His dad is in bad shape with Alzheimers, I really don't think he had any idea what we were talking about or who we were.  He can still dress himself and take care of the bathroom stuff by himself, but he is slipping fast and I guess he has some serious health issues they are choosing not to treat.  We got in some beach walking which was completely negated by this awesome little frozen custard stand!!  The real deal, it was sooo good!  Had some great seafood, and I got in a run... but it was horrid.  Temps were about the same as TX but the humidity was even worse!  And I headed out on an empty stomach, no coffee, no oatmeal, but got some pics of my route!

Next stop was a visit to my parents house... my Dad is doing great, 84 years old still very sharp and active, but does all the care for my Mom who is not very mobile, she's either in a wheelchair that Dad has to push, or uses a cane for very short walking distances.  She has Alzheimers too, not as bad as Ron's Dad yet, but very forgetful and confused.  But we didn't notice it much the first day, she seemed pretty sharp, still remembers a lot, has a sense of humor, etc.  And then there's my 52 year old brother who lives with them... he's probably 350 pounds, no job, not even looking for a job, swears he can't get one because he has a record and has been in jail for a couple of felony's (assault of the elderly for beating up my Dad, I have NO idea why they took him back into their home...).  He's a trained chef, so he does a lot of cooking for them, but other than that he is loud and obnoxious and has a drinking problem.  He and my Dad do NOT get along, they butt heads all the time, but managed to keep things civil while we were there. We got in some beach time and actually got to go in the water... I would have stayed longer but Ron didn't want to wear sunscreen, so we were only there about 30-45 minutes.  More awesome seafood for dinner.  The second day I got in another run, right along the Indian River (Intercoastal waterway) and once again it sucked.  At  least the views were spectacular!  WWe went out to lunch at a really nice hotel right on the ocean and then to a museum.  My brother didn't go with us, but my Mom kept asking where he was... she was obviously not having as good a day as the day before.  We had dinner at their house, and then said our goodbyes, very bittersweet, not knowing if this would be the last time we ever see them.  My dad is very burned out with all the care for my Mom and dealing with my brother... he got to vent to Ron a little bit, but there's really nothing we can do.

Next leg of the trip, Orlando!!  We got out early for the fairly short drive and decided to hit Epcot that first day and we loved it.  Ron is looking at probably surgery for a bulging disc/pinched nerves in his neck, so wild and crazy rides were not in the plan (so sad for me, I LOVE rides!).  So Epcot seemed the perfect park to visit.  The "rides" were very calm, mainly 360 movies and such.  We really enjoyed it and spent the entire day there.  We checked into our luxury hotel around 6 p.m., the Omni, just outside of Orlando, on a golf course.  However, LUXURY, just meant more $$$, it was still just a hotel room, and honestly at least Best Western gave us a free breakfast and we didn't have to pay $16/day for parking!  Ate dinner out at a schlocky touristy steak house.  Next day we drove to the world's largest flea market.... what a bust.... half the booths were closed, and all the stuff was cheap and trashy, made a few purchases for the grandsons, and came close to getting the cutest bulldog puppy!  Thankfully, we didn't do that!  Came back to the hotel and I wanted to use the pool and the lazy river that was included in our "resort fee".  Got changed, put the sunscreen on and went down and there was not a chair available for me to put my towel and stuff on and it was filled with screaming kids and touristy adults, NOT relaxing at all, and I was pissed off.  Didn't go in the pool.  At this point we decided to head back home a day early, and just enjoy our last big event... Blue Man Group at Universal!  It was fantastic, what a show!  Loved it!!  Our show tickets included free entry to Universal's City Walk, where there were tons of restaurants and shops... we played 18 holes of Mini Golf, ate at Pat O'Briens before the show.  I would definitely recommend seeing BMG if they are ever in your area!!  Really entertaining...

So we were up early and back on the road headed for Louisiana the next day... hit some bad rain, visibility was really bad.  Same thing the next day, bad rain through Houston, we finally just pulled over for about 20 minutes.  Finally made it home to our doggies and to find out the upstairs a/c was out, WTF??!!  Downstairs is still working, but the master bedroom is upstairs... so I went to Kati's house to sleep and Ron used the guest room downstairs, and now we are waiting on a call back from the repair guys and hopefully it will get fixed today!!  Ironically the a/c is also out in my car (for the 4th time) so I am taking it in tomorrow and picking up a loaner... eye dr. apt on Wednesday, bike ride date with my tri friend on Thursday, school on Friday, the last hours of summer, sigh... 

And so I am off to check logs and have another cup of coffee!  Hoping to get a bike ride in today (pool is closed this week), but priority is waiting for the a/c call....

2013-08-12 9:44 AM
in reply to: Hildebeast

User image

Veteran
Roll Tide!!

Hilde!!! Glad you had an awesome vacation & got to see your folks. Beautiful pictures!!

I listened to a podcast about coconut oil and Alzheimers the other day that was really informative. The interview was with a neonatal Doctor who's husband had Alzheimers and the effect coconut oil had on him- she wrote a book on it. Anyway- well worth the 30 minute listen.

WELCOME BACK!!!!!!!!

2013-08-12 3:20 PM

User image

Expert
Douglaston, NY
Welcome back Hilde! Those are some great photos and I really enjoyed your trip report! While my parents aren't nearly as old, I'll be visiting them next week in North Carolina and probably be dealing with the same mixed emotions...and, of course, trying to train.
2013-08-13 3:14 AM

User image

New user
wonderful scenery and pics Hilde. i'm glad you're back. sorry to hear about your brother and dad, and all the other stuff in between them.
2013-08-16 12:56 PM
in reply to: oldSAP

User image

Expert
Falls Church

Hi all...

Welcome back Hilde...sounds like you had a nice but also challenging trip.  And now school starts!  Back to reality for sure.

Well, IronGirl Columbia is on Sunday.  The girls and I are ready.  We will practice transitions tomorrow or this evening.  It is a big race so we have to rack the bikes tomorrow.  Hopefully, race goodies will be decent.

Sunday the girls go off about 24 minutes ahead of me...it will be a challenge to catch them but I am going to give it a really good effort.

2013-08-16 4:00 PM

User image

Veteran
Roll Tide!!

Melanie!

Good luck with Iron Girl- I bet you do catch your daughters. Have a blast and be so proud of them!! Cool

2013-08-17 10:39 AM

User image

Expert
Temple, TX
I just know you are gonna catch those girls, Melanie... great way to get a PR, chasing after someone, that'll keep your motivation up during the race!!!  Have a great time with your daughters!!

2013-08-17 7:28 PM

User image

Middle Tennessee
Welcome back Hilde!! We sure missed you! Melanie I hope you chased those girls down!! How much fun to race with your kids?! I'm in the midst of tapering for Ironman Louisville. Tapering both rocks and sucks. It's nice to sleep more,train less and see my family,that's the rocking part. The sucking part is emotions all over the place, tweaking out at every little ache,pain or sniffle, and quieting the doubting voices in my head. And the logistics! Good lord, I feel like I'm packing for a lunar expedition! I told my partner this is the only trip we will ever take where I have more bags than her!!!! Thankfully she is taking care of everything else; the hotel,boarding our puppy,the dog nanny for our two older dogs,finding restaurants. Pretty much everything. I just kind of feel like an arrow just waiting to be released from the bow! One week till I leave it all out there on the course. Wheeee!!!
2013-08-17 8:51 PM

atlanta
Welcome back Hilde, nice pics. I have a partial race report, but won't have my time breakdown until I download training peaks. I have a long way to go, thanks for the motivation. I have another sprint tri next month.

http://www.beginnertriathlete.com/RaceLog/races-view-container.asp?...

2013-08-18 8:03 AM
in reply to: jackflash

User image

Expert
Temple, TX

Everyone please keep Shad in your thoughts as she tapers for her first Ironman... if you haven't been keeping up with her logs, she has trained like a BEAST for this race!!!  Enough so, that just reading her logs makes me know I am not going to drink the Koolaid!!

I started school on Friday, full week of inservice this coming week and then it really begins.  I have more details in my blog, but looks like my Dad is coming to stay with us sometime this week from Florida, not sure how long.  We are so happy to have him, but lots to do to get ready, and I'm not 100% sure he won't change his mind, but I should know something for sure by Tuesday.  Just a bit more stress!

The weather has been awesome in TX the past few days... I gotta get off my buttocks and get out there for a run!! 

2013-08-18 2:47 PM

User image

Expert
Falls Church

My race report is up.

Had a great time.  Did very well.  I love these big races.  Lots of healthy, fit, and friendly women.  

(080_edited-2.jpg)

(093_edited-2.jpg)

Attachments
----------------
080_edited-2.jpg (457KB - 12 downloads)
093_edited-2.jpg (388KB - 14 downloads)
2013-08-19 5:20 AM

User image

Expert
Temple, TX

Very nice pics there, Melanie!!!  And you DO have one tiny daughter!  You all look so happy together!

I will be off line for a few days gang... feeling extremely stressed right now so please keep me in your thoughts... I should be back on Thursday....

2013-08-19 10:44 AM

User image

Veteran
Roll Tide!!

Melanie- Awesome pictures!!! You are so lucky to have done this with your daughters. I dream of doing one with all three of my boys!!

Hildie & Shad you are both in my prayers and I will be reading some logs doing some catching up!!

2013-08-20 6:15 AM

User image

Expert
Temple, TX
My dad's trip is not happening.... I was packed and ready to leave the house at 3 a.m. to catch a 5:15 flight out of Austin and at 8:30 he cancelled... up till then it was all a go.  He told my brother and mom what his plans were, to come to TX and I was flying out to make the drive with him.  Mom is all confused and doesn't remember anything hour to hour, so she was fine.  However when I talked to my @$$hole brother, he couldn't understand why my Dad would just leave.  I told him he just needed a break from the 24/7 care he has to give my mom and that he knew my brother could handle that while he was gone for a week or so.  I ended up cutting off the conversation so I could talk to Ron before he headed out the door for his one social activity, Monday evening golf league.  I guess that pissed him off, that I DARE cut off a conversation with him, because he called back about 10 minutes later spewing filth and threats, at which time I immediately said, "Goodbye" and hung up on him.  In any case the evening continued with talking to my Dad again, my brother leaving vile voicemails because I refused to take his calls and ended up at 8:30 with my Dad calling saying my brother had called and my mom was going bananas wondering where he was, etc. and that he had to go home.  At which time I literally received another voice mail from my brother with a death threat which I'm not sure if it was meant for me or mistakenly left on my phone for my Dad... literally as in "I will *F*in kill you".  I will talk to my dad this morning  once I get to school, but this whole situation is eating me up!  My stomach is tied in knots, can't sleep, I think my eye crap has flared up, and forget about working out!  My fear is that my brother will get so violent that he will beat my dad up or possible even kill him.  My brother just couldn't stand it that he didn't have any control over the situation, could not give my dad a week's rest to decompress and refresh.  The 52 year old obese P.O.S. could not pick up the slack for my 84 year old Dad.  What a freakin' mess!!!   I can deal with my parents aging, but I cannot deal with my brother, the one person in this world that I hate.  A true waste of a human being.  My dad can't stand him, he has no friends, but my mother worships him, does not see the evil psychotic behavior at all.  Ron and I really wanted to convince my Dad to set up assisted living near us, but at this point the only solution to get my brother out of their lives is to set it up in Florida.  My dad is so fed up he's ready to give my brother money just to leave (he wants to go to Costa Rica?).  Sorry to vent guys... but I gotta let it out!!  Hopefully things will calm down in the next couple of days and things will get back to normal... in any case, off to school today, at least I am saving 2 sick days by not doing the drive...
2013-08-20 7:15 AM

User image

Expert
Falls Church

Originally posted by Hildebeast My dad's trip is not happening.... I was packed and ready to leave the house at 3 a.m. to catch a 5:15 flight out of Austin and at 8:30 he cancelled... up till then it was all a go.  He told my brother and mom what his plans were, to come to TX and I was flying out to make the drive with him.  Mom is all confused and doesn't remember anything hour to hour, so she was fine.  However when I talked to my @$$hole brother, he couldn't understand why my Dad would just leave.  I told him he just needed a break from the 24/7 care he has to give my mom and that he knew my brother could handle that while he was gone for a week or so.  I ended up cutting off the conversation so I could talk to Ron before he headed out the door for his one social activity, Monday evening golf league.  I guess that pissed him off, that I DARE cut off a conversation with him, because he called back about 10 minutes later spewing filth and threats, at which time I immediately said, "Goodbye" and hung up on him.  In any case the evening continued with talking to my Dad again, my brother leaving vile voicemails because I refused to take his calls and ended up at 8:30 with my Dad calling saying my brother had called and my mom was going bananas wondering where he was, etc. and that he had to go home.  At which time I literally received another voice mail from my brother with a death threat which I'm not sure if it was meant for me or mistakenly left on my phone for my Dad... literally as in "I will *F*in kill you".  I will talk to my dad this morning  once I get to school, but this whole situation is eating me up!  My stomach is tied in knots, can't sleep, I think my eye crap has flared up, and forget about working out!  My fear is that my brother will get so violent that he will beat my dad up or possible even kill him.  My brother just couldn't stand it that he didn't have any control over the situation, could not give my dad a week's rest to decompress and refresh.  The 52 year old obese P.O.S. could not pick up the slack for my 84 year old Dad.  What a freakin' mess!!!   I can deal with my parents aging, but I cannot deal with my brother, the one person in this world that I hate.  A true waste of a human being.  My dad can't stand him, he has no friends, but my mother worships him, does not see the evil psychotic behavior at all.  Ron and I really wanted to convince my Dad to set up assisted living near us, but at this point the only solution to get my brother out of their lives is to set it up in Florida.  My dad is so fed up he's ready to give my brother money just to leave (he wants to go to Costa Rica?).  Sorry to vent guys... but I gotta let it out!!  Hopefully things will calm down in the next couple of days and things will get back to normal... in any case, off to school today, at least I am saving 2 sick days by not doing the drive...

Oh man...I don't really have any suggestions/advice.  Keep writing.  It's a good way to vent.  Did you keep the voicemails?  Might be time to think about legal action.  The voicemails can help if needed.  Sounds like your parents need to be near you.

2013-08-20 10:40 AM

User image

Regular
Let it rip Hilde!! Sometime families are just too much to bear!
2013-08-20 11:40 AM
in reply to: joes

User image

Expert
Temple, TX
Oh yes, I kept the voicemails!!  If anything happens to my Dad I have evidence!!  I'm kind of nervous because his cell has been going to voicemail all morning, hoping he just has it turned off and that he'll call me eventually...

2013-08-21 5:30 AM

User image

Expert
Falls Church
Good morning beasties! It's Wednesday and I'm glad the week is halfway through. I'm feeling recovered from Sunday and pondering an early morning track workout tomorrow. Today will be a swim.
2013-08-21 6:28 AM

User image

Expert
Temple, TX
Finally heard from my dad last night , he made it home safe and said everything was perfectly normal, so just my brother making sure to sabotage his trip. Can't say that I'm missing the drive! I'm feeling much less stressed and figure dad has some decisions to make. Full day of in service but hoping I can get in a bike ride this afternoon.
2013-08-21 8:13 AM
in reply to: 0

User image

Veteran
Roll Tide!!

Hilde- Glad you heard from dad!! 

Melanie- good for you for being motivated- wish I was Tongue out

Hey guys- Charlie posted on facebook about some bad weather (lots of flooding) in his area right now. Keep him and his family in your thoughts and prayers. HERE is what I found on the weather channel.

Wow- Here is more: Misery in Philppines

Edited by Evergreen 2013-08-21 8:16 AM
2013-08-21 9:46 AM

User image

Expert
Missouri

Hilde - glad your dad is OK!

I just signed up to volunteer at a mud run Labor Day weekend.  I'll be working at an aid station in the morning and then I get to join one of the later waves and run the course for freeSmile.  Not going to run for time - although there is the option to be chip-timed and eligible for awards - just doing it for fun.  It'll be a nice change in the training before the 5k on Sept 21st and the tri on the 29th.  I think I'm going to go watch a tri this weekend too.  The lake where it starts is about 5 miles from my house so I think I'll ride my bike up that way Saturday morning and check out the race.  It's one I'd like to do some day (they have both sprint and olympic races). 

New Thread
BT Development Mentor Program Archives » HILDEBEAST'S Mentor Group, CLOSED! Rss Feed  

of 29