of 41

2013-05-16 9:22 AM
in reply to: #4725974

User image

Veteran
Chicago, Illinois
Subject: RE: Hashers and Mashers

Yeah, looks like we are live now.

Sorry to hear life has been hectic, Jax.  Glad to see you're still in the sandbox though!

Not that I'm stalking everyone's training logs or anything, but how are your ribs, Mike?

2013-05-16 3:26 PM
in reply to: #4725974

User image

Veteran
Chicago, Illinois
Hey all FYI I had my username changed.  I was never overly fond of my last name being in my username.  Shouldn't have made that username in the first place, but didn't realize how easy it is to change.  Sorry for any inconvenience!
2013-05-16 3:39 PM
in reply to: #4745818

User image

New user
Melbourne, Australia

Hey guys,

We've all been pretty quiet on the boards lately. I'm sure it will fire up now we're live. I want to know what everyone's been up to!

I've had a couple of really good strong training weeks, but not much this week. Thats cool, i didnt back off enough during my rest week so having a down week is all good. Having to seriously adjust to the training plans now that winter is here, or at least adjust my mindset to continue with my plan. Cold, dark and wet every morning!

Hope everyone is tracking well.

cheers,
Chrispy
2013-05-16 7:19 PM
in reply to: #4745065

User image

Master
St. Louis
Fresno_Joe - 2013-05-16 9:22 AM

Yeah, looks like we are live now.

Sorry to hear life has been hectic, Jax.  Glad to see you're still in the sandbox though!

Not that I'm stalking everyone's training logs or anything, but how are your ribs, Mike?

Ribs still hurt. :-(. I'm going to try running again Saturday (fingers crossed). I felt one of my ribs move last night which I'm hoping means things went back in place. Doc said if it still hurts pretty bad after a week, you broke something. If its better, you bruised it. We'll know the verdict Saturday. Thanks for asking!
2013-05-17 4:42 PM
in reply to: ransick

User image

Veteran
Roll Tide!!

Hello everyone!! 

I joined another group a few weeks ago that is a little more geared to a newby like me

I will still be popping over to see how your races are going this season!!

Hope you all have a great weekend!! Smile

2013-05-18 6:02 AM
in reply to: Meljoypip

User image

Veteran
Well, on tap today is 1.5-2 hr bike with dh while the kids are at art class. Tomorrow, 4-5 mile run. Been having a lot of migraine headaches this week so training has been low. Probably going to spend some time on the boat this afternoon which should be fun.

Last night I adjusted my cleats, moved them back a little, I hope that will help my calf issue and get rid of the knots I've been experiencing.

Hope everyone has a great weekend!

2013-05-18 2:38 PM
in reply to: Ybeal

User image

Master
St. Louis
Tried running today. Progress but still couldn't run. Took 20 steps before pain level 5 convinced me stop. Better than 10 steps and pain level 8 like I had last weekend. Had a nice 5k walk though.

I'm going to wait another week.
2013-05-18 3:14 PM

User image

Veteran
Chicago, Illinois
Originally posted by ransickTried running today. Progress but still couldn't run. Took 20 steps before pain level 5 convinced me stop. Better than 10 steps and pain level 8 like I had last weekend. Had a nice 5k walk though.I'm going to wait another week.
Really sorry to hear that, Mike. I hope another week does you good.
2013-05-18 3:19 PM
in reply to: Fresno_Joe

User image

Veteran
Chicago, Illinois
I have had a head cold or bad allergies or something since two nights ago. Was having a pretty good month up till then. I'm all doped up now, tired but at least I'm not feeling like I need to sneeze every three minutes. (By the way, needing to sneeze but not being able to is one of the worst feelings there is.) Saturday is usually my best day of the week so I'm pretty disappointed. Have to get my long run in today or tomorrow, ideally today. Going to take an afternoon nap be see how things stand.
2013-05-18 6:32 PM

User image

Master
St. Louis
Originally posted by Fresno_Joe

I have had a head cold or bad allergies or something since two nights ago. Was having a pretty good month up till then. I'm all doped up now, tired but at least I'm not feeling like I need to sneeze every three minutes. (By the way, needing to sneeze but not being able to is one of the worst feelings there is.) Saturday is usually my best day of the week so I'm pretty disappointed. Have to get my long run in today or tomorrow, ideally today. Going to take an afternoon nap be see how things stand.

Cold sucks. Nothing like wanting to work out but not being all to take a deep breath or have the energy needed. Get better soon!
2013-05-19 3:06 AM

User image

New user
Melbourne, Australia
Originally posted by ransick

Cold sucks. Nothing like wanting to work out but not being all to take a deep breath or have the energy needed. Get better soon!

X2. It sucks to be healthy but unable to breathe!

2013-05-19 7:08 PM

User image

Veteran

Man, allergies are the worst! I don't know how people live with them for their whole lives. I developed some last year in the fall and luckily that seems to be the only time I get them. Just keep on keeping on....don't beat yourself up about a missed workout or two and feel better!
2013-05-19 7:10 PM

User image

Veteran
Originally posted by ransick

Tried running today. Progress but still couldn't run. Took 20 steps before pain level 5 convinced me stop. Better than 10 steps and pain level 8 like I had last weekend. Had a nice 5k walk though.

I'm going to wait another week.

Mike, sorry you still haven't been able to get back to it! Seems like there is some improvement. It's good you can walk are you able to swim or bike?
2013-05-20 11:34 AM

User image

Veteran
Ocean Springs, MS
Oh my!! I'm late to the party. I've been off BT for the past 4-5 days and everything changed!! At least we're live now!!! Yay! Welcome back everyone...and anyone who wants to drop in from time to time!!

Mike - what happened to you? And how did I miss that something happened??

Glad to be back...can everyone post their upcoming races for the year so I don't have to go back and find them all? Thank you!!
Stats start Wednesday...get it in gear!!!
2013-05-20 1:13 PM
in reply to: 0

User image

Pearland,Tx
Hi

I wish to join your mentor program I dont know exactly how it works. Courtesy wise I guess I have to introduce my self.

NAME: Carlo

HOBBIES:Running and Bike Rides.

BACKGROUND: Runs Half Marathons and Bike Rides with friends,

FAMILY: Married 8 years w/ 4 year old boy full time employee.

CURRENT WEEKLY WORK OUT: 50 Mi Du( 1/49/10) , Run 15 mi a week.

INTERESTS: HALF IRON DU, FULL IRON DU (a clam can out swim me easy)

2013: Signed up events, MS150@April, SF Half Marathon @June,HITS Full iron-Tri Relay@ Dec.(cycling)

Other 2013 Events planned:
70mi Du @ Sept. and Full Marathon Aug,Oct,Nov.

Hoping for some encouragement and more guidance in training that I dont kill myself in the process.

Sincerely

Carl

Edited by strykergt 2013-05-20 1:15 PM
2013-05-20 1:15 PM
in reply to: strykergt

User image

Veteran
Originally posted by strykergt

Hi

I wish to join your mentor program I dont know exactly how it works. Courtesy wise I guess I have to introduce my self.

2013: Signed up events, MS150@April, SF Half Marathon @June,HITS Full iron-Tri Rely@ Dec.(cycling)

Hoping for some encouragement and more guidance in training that I dont kill myself in the process.

Sincerely

Carl

Welcome Carl! If you have questions, ask away, we all try to help and encourage each other!

Yvonne

2013-05-20 1:24 PM

User image

Veteran
Chicago, Illinois

Looks like it was just a head cold, but yeah I was down for three days.  Puts me a week behind in my run mileage plan, but that's alright.  I'm back on as of today.

Sarah, my only planned upcoming race is 8/11, Folsom Long Course (70.3).  The coworkers I did the oly with in April are still searching for another one to do together maybe during the summer or later in the fall but nothing set in stone yet.

2013-05-20 1:34 PM

User image

Cypress, Texas
NAME: Markus (johnthecat)

STORY: Just turned 43 in May. Had signed up for two sprints in 2007, but due to the timing of adopting our oldest daughter was never able to actually compete. Ever since then life was either too busy with kids or injury struck. Low back problems in 2009 and 2010, new baby in 2011 and then a groin/thigh problem in 2012. This year I got hit with a post viral inflammatory response which took about 3 months to clear out of my system. I'm now back to 90% pre virus and completely out of shape . Was a competetive gymnast age 5 through 14 and kept myself active after that until my late twenties with lots of swimming, skating and all kinds of other sports. I'm a German native, living in the Houston area since 1998.

FAMILY STATUS: Married with four kids, 16, 14 and 1 year old girls and a 2 year old boy. The 1 and 2 year old were total unexpected surprises and keep me busy when not working. Almost all of my workouts include the 1 and 2 year old in either the jogging stroller or the bike trailer. My 2 year old also wants to run the last 1/2 to 3/4 of a mile of each workout. (I wish I had his energy levels)

CURRENT TRAINING: I try to get at least 3 workouts in a week. Right now my main focus is on running to build back some base endurance. I'm still running/walking at the moment, but was able to get myself back up to a 4 minute run/1 minute walk regimen and trying to improve on that. Not sure if I would do better without the jogging stroller. Will need to check that one of these days.

2013 RACES: Undecided at the moment. I've signed up for a 5k in Houston, mid June to make sure I keep my running on a regular schedule at a minimum. There were a couple of sprint Tri's I was interested in but are interfering with my vacation schedule

WEIGHTLOSS: could loose 10-20 pounds but not a primary factor and I think will come on its own

2013-05-20 1:46 PM

User image

Pearland,Tx
Fellow Trainees

I need advice on getting into Aero position. I still have a fear of crashing and wrecking my bike.

Any information i do appreciate.

Sincerely

Karl

2013-05-20 2:13 PM

User image

Veteran
Ocean Springs, MS
Originally posted by strykergt

Hi

2013: Signed up events, MS150@April, SF Half Marathon @June,HITS Full iron-Tri Relay@ Dec.(cycling)

Sincerely

Carl

Welcome Carlo!! So glad you'll be joining us. I'm a pretty slow open water swimmer myself, but the more I do it the more I enjoy it. I think we'll get you in the water before you know it As far as the aero position, is that your bike on your profile pic? I found the best way for me to get comfortable in aero was to start on a road bike with aero bars, and I would only go aero on the straight and flat. After some time you really start becoming more comfortable. I just found the road bike a little more stable and controllable, and easier to transition out of aero. Hopefully the others will give you their advice also, since I'm sure there are quite a few tricks.
2013-05-20 2:13 PM

User image

Veteran
Chicago, Illinois

Originally posted by strykergt Fellow Trainees I need advice on getting into Aero position. I still have a fear of crashing and wrecking my bike. Any information i do appreciate. Sincerely Karl ______________________________________________________________ "I have a friend who only got one pair of tri-suit, old Roubix Fuji, and a pair of running shoes and he managed to finish 2X 70.3"

Hey Karl (is it Karl, Carl, or Carlo?)

Short answer I think is practice practice practice.  Only way to feel more comfortable with it is to spend time in the position and ride in it, and recognize what control you have (and what control you don't have).  I felt the same way when I first started riding aero, but you get used to it.  If you don't have a trainer find a long straight safe road with space and little to no traffic to practice on. 

Have you gone for a bike fitting at your local bike shop?  You will feel more comfortable and in control if you are in the best position possible.

2013-05-20 2:23 PM
in reply to: johnthecat

User image

Veteran
Ocean Springs, MS
Originally posted by johnthecat

NAME: Markus (johnthecat)

STORY: Just turned 43 in May. Had signed up for two sprints in 2007, but due to the timing of adopting our oldest daughter was never able to actually compete. Ever since then life was either too busy with kids or injury struck. Low back problems in 2009 and 2010, new baby in 2011 and then a groin/thigh problem in 2012. This year I got hit with a post viral inflammatory response which took about 3 months to clear out of my system. I'm now back to 90% pre virus and completely out of shape . Was a competetive gymnast age 5 through 14 and kept myself active after that until my late twenties with lots of swimming, skating and all kinds of other sports. I'm a German native, living in the Houston area since 1998.

FAMILY STATUS: Married with four kids, 16, 14 and 1 year old girls and a 2 year old boy. The 1 and 2 year old were total unexpected surprises and keep me busy when not working. Almost all of my workouts include the 1 and 2 year old in either the jogging stroller or the bike trailer. My 2 year old also wants to run the last 1/2 to 3/4 of a mile of each workout. (I wish I had his energy levels)

CURRENT TRAINING: I try to get at least 3 workouts in a week. Right now my main focus is on running to build back some base endurance. I'm still running/walking at the moment, but was able to get myself back up to a 4 minute run/1 minute walk regimen and trying to improve on that. Not sure if I would do better without the jogging stroller. Will need to check that one of these days.

2013 RACES: Undecided at the moment. I've signed up for a 5k in Houston, mid June to make sure I keep my running on a regular schedule at a minimum. There were a couple of sprint Tri's I was interested in but are interfering with my vacation schedule

WEIGHTLOSS: could loose 10-20 pounds but not a primary factor and I think will come on its own

Welcome to the group, Markus. Sounds like you have your hands full. Many of us on this forum are trying to balance kids, work, spouse, and training. Well...what triathlete isn't? I think you'll find good camaraderie in this group!!
2013-05-20 4:45 PM
in reply to: Sarah73

User image

Master
St. Louis
Originally posted by Sarah73

Oh my!! I'm late to the party. I've been off BT for the past 4-5 days and everything changed!! At least we're live now!!! Yay! Welcome back everyone...and anyone who wants to drop in from time to time!!

Mike - what happened to you? And how did I miss that something happened??

Glad to be back...can everyone post their upcoming races for the year so I don't have to go back and find them all? Thank you!!
Stats start Wednesday...get it in gear!!!

I feel trail running and landed on a root. I either broke or bruised a couple of ribs :-(.
2013-05-20 9:39 PM

User image

Can I still join the Mentor program? I am new to the website and a newer triathlete.

NAME: Byron

HISTORY: I am 41 years old newer triathlete, cyclist, runner, and all around weekend athlete. I am still a big guy. I run slow, ride fast and swim at a moderate rate. I like to ride with meetup groups and go on supported rides. In the last two years I have run the Army 10 Miler 2012, RNR 1/2 Marathon DC 2012, 10 5Ks, Hot Chocolate 15K, 2 Turkey trot 10ks. Cycling I did 6 supported metric centuries, a 100 mile century, the AF Cycling Classic, and started to mountain bike. I have done 2 mini-tri's and 1 sprint.

FAMILY STATUS: I have been married for 10 years and have a 9 year old autistic daughter.

CURRENT TRAINING: running 2 times a week, doing 2 spin classes a week, and 1 or 2 rides on weekends, swim 1 or 2 times a week. I also do weight training 3 days a week. I always take 1 day off in a week.

THIS YEAR'S RACES: This summer I am doing more sprint tri's to include 2 pook and open water. Already registered for Colonial Beach in July and looking at possibly Ft. Ritchey in Aug. I am doing the AF cycling challenge again shooting for Gold this time. I also plan to do the full century at Civil War Century. I just registered again for the Army 10 Miler.
WEIGHTLOSS: Since December 2009 I have lost 200 lbs. I was 476 and now weigh in at 273. Still a big guy but I have cardio to go all day. I have hit a plateau that doesn't want to go lower. I keep plugging away and doing events to keep my weight in check and make progress if I can.

I am just looking for some support to talk through training and also hope to help others since I am getting more into events.

http://runkeeper.com/user/zadokvk/home
2013-05-20 11:26 PM
in reply to: Super Clydesdale

User image

Veteran
Chicago, Illinois

Originally posted by Super Clydesdale Can I still join the Mentor program? I am new to the website and a newer triathlete. NAME: Byron
Welcome, Byron!

Originally posted by Super Clydesdale HISTORY: I am 41 years old newer triathlete, cyclist, runner, and all around weekend athlete. I am still a big guy. I run slow, ride fast and swim at a moderate rate. I like to ride with meetup groups and go on supported rides. In the last two years I have run the Army 10 Miler 2012, RNR 1/2 Marathon DC 2012, 10 5Ks, Hot Chocolate 15K, 2 Turkey trot 10ks. Cycling I did 6 supported metric centuries, a 100 mile century, the AF Cycling Classic, and started to mountain bike. I have done 2 mini-tri's and 1 sprint.
That's awesome, group rides are so good on so many levels.  I wish I could get out with a group more.  That's some great racing you've done.

Originally posted by Super Clydesdale CURRENT TRAINING: running 2 times a week, doing 2 spin classes a week, and 1 or 2 rides on weekends, swim 1 or 2 times a week. I also do weight training 3 days a week. I always take 1 day off in a week.
Are you following a specific plan, or planning for a specific race?  Or just general training at this point?

Originally posted by Super ClydesdaleTHIS YEAR'S RACES: This summer I am doing more sprint tri's to include 2 pook and open water. Already registered for Colonial Beach in July and looking at possibly Ft. Ritchey in Aug. I am doing the AF cycling challenge again shooting for Gold this time. I also plan to do the full century at Civil War Century. I just registered again for the Army 10 Miler. 40
I'm noticing a trend of military related races, is that just based on where you live or do you have a military background?

Originally posted by Super ClydesdaleWEIGHTLOSS: Since December 2009 I have lost 200 lbs. I was 476 and now weigh in at 273. Still a big guy but I have cardio to go all day. I have hit a plateau that doesn't want to go lower.
WOW!  Kudos to you, buddy.  

New Thread
BT Development Mentor Program Archives » Hashers and Mashers - Open Rss Feed  

of 41