2013-12-02 4:37 PM
in reply to: 0

User image

Pearland,Tx
Subject: RE: Hashers and Mashers - Open
Originally posted by PsyTri

HASHERS AND MASHERS BREAKING NEWS!
(see attached file for details)

"Strykergt Takes the Lead", fueled by . . . well, his new profile picture says it all! Putting up over 600 miles on his ride this month. Can he be stopped?
"Trial_Of_Miles: Part Man, Part Fish" 40K+ yards in the water is insane! That's just shy of marathon distance.
"Sarah73: Lost in Mexico? Still Celebrating? Stay Tuned for an Update!" - way to go. Hope it went well. We're looking forward to your RR, amiga.
"Wenceslasz: Turning Up the Heat and Coming on Strong"
"PsyTri: Living in the Shadow and Eating the Dust of Ransick (A.K.A. Road Warrior)", who had another 100+ month of running. 1K miles any time now!
"Tryin' to Tie": Jillebean and Fresno_Joe neck and neck.
"Dance-a-Thon: Miche033 bustin' a move" - way to stay moving with swim-bike-run-soccer-dance-anything else active! (Dance stats not shown here!)
"Bracing for a Come-Back" from ybeal and danywilliams83

Signing off.

G

Whats going on Gary wheres the wheels. Your lucky you are from Florida "No low Season for Triathlons" you're weather is alot better there too!!

Edited by strykergt 2013-12-02 4:38 PM

2013-12-02 6:23 PM
in reply to: PsyTri

User image

Extreme Veteran
Penticton, BC
Psy Tri - Thanks for posting the monthlies. They're always interesting to see. I was really looking forward to a post of the year end numbers in just a few weeks.

I actually came into the forums to post some news here. I haven't had much to report until today but a friend from Calgary wrote my wife saying the IM Calgary 70.3 is 50% sold in the opening 24 hrs of registration so I figured I had better take the leap and sign up so I'm in for July 27th. I'm kind of excited but instantly thinking, "I'm gonna die!!!". Now I just have to win the Cervelo Tri Bike they're raffling off to registrants.

I think the reason the IMCalgary race is selling so fast is the fee is only $199 for this week (then $255 after) plus they are capping the race at 1000 athletes and they have 100 spots for the Mont Tremblant Worlds. A 10% chance of winning. I'm too slow to win a spot but I think I'd go if I got a place.

Carlo - it sure looks like you've been busy. What's coming up for you?
2013-12-02 7:33 PM
in reply to: strykergt

User image

Whats going on Gary wheres the wheels. Your lucky you are from Florida "No low Season for Triathlons" you're weather is alot better there too!!

The bike's hanging in the garage! Where I plan on keeping my hybrid for a while! December is bike-shopping month.

I'm officially in the off-season and working on running/swimming. Want to get faster. Doing a 10k at the end of December. Some other things in the works.

Thanks for asking.
2013-12-02 9:17 PM
in reply to: wenceslasz

User image

Pearland,Tx
Originally posted by wenceslasz

Psy Tri - Thanks for posting the monthlies. They're always interesting to see. I was really looking forward to a post of the year end numbers in just a few weeks.

I actually came into the forums to post some news here. I haven't had much to report until today but a friend from Calgary wrote my wife saying the IM Calgary 70.3 is 50% sold in the opening 24 hrs of registration so I figured I had better take the leap and sign up so I'm in for July 27th. I'm kind of excited but instantly thinking, "I'm gonna die!!!". Now I just have to win the Cervelo Tri Bike they're raffling off to registrants.

I think the reason the IMCalgary race is selling so fast is the fee is only $199 for this week (then $255 after) plus they are capping the race at 1000 athletes and they have 100 spots for the Mont Tremblant Worlds. A 10% chance of winning. I'm too slow to win a spot but I think I'd go if I got a place.

Ok i am saying it now im taking the Iron Distance Plunge i have 5 months to train for our local Iron Distance (not IMTX) i sold my roadie and bought a PM .I am just using the Be Ironfit training plan. C'mmon George we can do it.
2013-12-02 9:33 PM

User image

Veteran
Chicago, Illinois

Wow look at you guys, big plans!  I signed up for the Vineman 70.3, that's July 13th I think.  I'm going to build for the next handful of months and then I'm going to do the 16 week intermediate 70.3 plan on here I think.  We'll see.

I've spent the last couple weeks moving to a new house (still in the Fresno area, just a better neighborhood), so haven't been working out much.  With the move coming to a close I'll be back in the saddle in the next day or two.  Our new house is actually in the perfect spot for my tri habit (not that we planned it that way, just happened).  It's very near the start to my favorite bike ride route, and several other great routes, and walking distance to one of the local masters pools.  Great jogging paths too.  Oh and I bought a used bike trainer too.  So hopefully this is a busy offseason for me.

2013-12-02 9:52 PM
in reply to: Fresno_Joe

User image

Hello everyone,

Finally made my way back to training after to much time off. I plan on moving back into it slow, ran 3 miles Saturday, swam 1/2 a mile Sunday and ran 3 miles again today. Now lets hope I can keep this going with the holidays in full swing. The upside is work will really die off soon so finding time before/after works should be a lot less challenging.

2013-12-02 10:23 PM

User image

Master
St. Louis

HASHERS AND MASHERS BREAKING NEWS!
(see attached file for details)

"Strykergt Takes the Lead", fueled by . . . well, his new profile picture says it all! Putting up over 600 miles on his ride this month. Can he be stopped?
"Trial_Of_Miles: Part Man, Part Fish" 40K+ yards in the water is insane! That's just shy of marathon distance.
"Sarah73: Lost in Mexico? Still Celebrating? Stay Tuned for an Update!" - way to go. Hope it went well. We're looking forward to your RR, amiga.
"Wenceslasz: Turning Up the Heat and Coming on Strong"
"PsyTri: Living in the Shadow and Eating the Dust of Ransick (A.K.A. Road Warrior)", who had another 100+ month of running. 1K miles any time now!
"Tryin' to Tie": Jillebean and Fresno_Joe neck and neck.
"Dance-a-Thon: Miche033 bustin' a move" - way to stay moving with swim-bike-run-soccer-dance-anything else active! (Dance stats not shown here!)
"Bracing for a Come-Back" from ybeal and danywilliams83

Signing off.

G

Fun commentary!
2013-12-02 10:44 PM
in reply to: ransick

User image

Master
St. Louis
Looks like it's time to start the 2014 race calendar already!

Carl - Marble Falls 140.6 - 4/26/14
Joe - Vineman 70.3 - 7/13/14
George - Calgary 70.3 - 7/27/14

Who else is signed up for 2014 races?

I signed up for a local trail ultra 12/28. It's self supported (free) and a "last man standing" format. Starting at 8 am we do 4.1 mile loops starting every hour. The sooner you get done, the more rest you get for the next loop. I have no illusions of being anywhere near the last man standing since I know some of the runners have recently completed 50 and 100 mile races. I'll be happy if I complete 20 miles which would be a distance PR for me. We'll see.
2013-12-02 11:31 PM

User image

Extreme Veteran
Penticton, BC
Originally posted by strykergt

Ok i am saying it now im taking the Iron Distance Plunge i have 5 months to train for our local Iron Distance (not IMTX) i sold my roadie and bought a PM .I am just using the Be Ironfit training plan. C'mmon George we can do it.

Carlo - I love your enthusiasm and I would love to do a full distance course but I have to build up a lot slower than you can. I figure I'm looking at 2015 if all goes well in 2014. I'll turn 65 in 2015 so it will be a great way to celebrate. A lady friend I swim with when she's in town (she "snowbirds" in Arizona each winter) figures I could finish an easier IM like Florida even if I just walk the run but I'd rather be better prepared so I can enjoy the event rather than enduring a sufferfest. I will cheer you on for your race day though - will they have live coverage?
2013-12-02 11:37 PM

User image

Extreme Veteran
Penticton, BC
Originally posted by ransick

Looks like it's time to start the 2014 race calendar already!

Carl - Marble Falls 140.6 - 4/26/14
Joe - Vineman 70.3 - 7/13/14
George - Calgary 70.3 - 7/27/14

Who else is signed up for 2014 races?

I signed up for a local trail ultra 12/28. It's self supported (free) and a "last man standing" format. Starting at 8 am we do 4.1 mile loops starting every hour. The sooner you get done, the more rest you get for the next loop. I have no illusions of being anywhere near the last man standing since I know some of the runners have recently completed 50 and 100 mile races. I'll be happy if I complete 20 miles which would be a distance PR for me. We'll see.

I'll be adding a HIM in Victoria, B.C. later this month. I'm only holding off because I'm debating between the HIM or the Oly distance. I'll probably train just as hard either way so I'm leaning more to the half. I'll wait until next year to sign up for my other races.

I like the Trail Ultra you're running in. It sounds like a fun, different race. Right now I might be able to run 3# times so I'd have to train a lot harder to make it worthwhile but it does sound like a lot of fun.
2013-12-03 2:16 AM

User image

Pearland,Tx

Originally posted by strykergt

No coverage George its a poor man's Full Iron. IMTX is already full for 2014 maybe 2015. For IM florida or IM Arizona i think the only way to get in is thru the c

Carlo - I love your enthusiasm and I would love to do a full distance course but I have to build up a lot slower than you can. I figure I'm looking at 2015 if all goes well in 2014. I'll turn 65 in 2015 so it will be a great way to celebrate. A lady friend I swim with when she's in town (she "snowbirds" in Arizona each winter) figures I could finish an easier IM like Florida even if I just walk the run but I'd rather be better prepared so I can enjoy the event rather than enduring a sufferfest. I will cheer you on for your race day though - will they have live coverage?

No Coverage George its a poormans Full Iron and IMTX is already full for 2014 maybe 2015. If by any chance something goes wrong in this Full Iron
I will sign up for Redman. Its only an 8 hr. drive.

2013-12-03 8:04 PM

User image

Thinking of a small local race December 14. 1000yd pool swim + 5k. When I say small, I mean small. Right now, 20 participants. More like a competitive workout than anything else. I've never swam that distance straight, and so I'm a bit intimidated. I'm sure I can do it. I think it's like, "with such a small field, I would want to place/win, but given how modestly slow I swim, I don't have a chance." Does that matter? Should I just do it for the fun and the challenge and the competitive element of it?

Then, there's a 5k/10k/5k + fitness challenge event 2 weeks later. I'd like to try the 10k since I've never done one before and aspire to move up to Olympic this next season some time. But, the 5k + fitness challenge lets me try out my new wheels and try for a PR at 5k, plus add in some strength/fitness challenges that could spice things up.

January 5 have 5k with my 10 YO. Hopefully by then I'll have a bike and will be back training for a sprint in the spring.

Thoughts/advice?
2013-12-03 8:59 PM

User image

I'm signed up for IM WI 9/7. Probably be adding shorter distances earlier in the year, but haven't registered for anything else yet.
2013-12-03 10:17 PM
in reply to: 0

User image

Extreme Veteran
Penticton, BC

Thinking of a small local race December 14. 1000yd pool swim + 5k. When I say small, I mean small. Right now, 20 participants. More like a competitive workout than anything else. I've never swam that distance straight, and so I'm a bit intimidated. I'm sure I can do it. I think it's like, "with such a small field, I would want to place/win, but given how modestly slow I swim, I don't have a chance." Does that matter? Should I just do it for the fun and the challenge and the competitive element of it?

Then, there's a 5k/10k/5k + fitness challenge event 2 weeks later. I'd like to try the 10k since I've never done one before and aspire to move up to Olympic this next season some time. But, the 5k + fitness challenge lets me try out my new wheels and try for a PR at 5k, plus add in some strength/fitness challenges that could spice things up.

January 5 have 5k with my 10 YO. Hopefully by then I'll have a bike and will be back training for a sprint in the spring.

Thoughts/advice?

Just my opinion (5cents worth - we don't have pennies in Canada anymore) - Based on what you said above I'd go for the 5K + fitness challenge. As you say I'd be keen to try out the new wheels. You can keep working on the 10K's on your own. I enjoyed my couple Sprints last year but I found the Oly distance way more satisfyingly fun. Some day I'd like to do the Key West Oly in December have you ever looked at it?

As for the 1000yd pool swim - Go for it. It's just 20 lengths (assuming its a 25yd pool) and even if you go slow it will still be a new PR for you.

I had to edit this post to add that I think your 5K run with your son is a huge big deal. That really sounds great. If you can I hope you'll post a pic of the two of you. This is the kind of memory he'll cherish for many years.

Edited by wenceslasz 2013-12-03 10:22 PM
2013-12-04 8:32 AM

User image

George,

I'm trying to get some info on the fitness challenge piece. Don't want to be flipping tractor tires on the beach and then just bonk!
I'm going to go for the 1000 swim + 5k run. It'll be a challenge and will give me some more experience at longer distances as I move toward Oly's next year. Have not considered the Key West Oly -- not up for the 7 hour drive and dont' have a real bike to make the trip worthwhile. Saving my tri's for after the 1st of the year.

Getting excited to see my 5k race time. Did a 5k run a couple days after my last tri in October and posted a 7:30/mile time, which is very fast for me. I've been working hard on running the last month and just did a 10k+ run this morning and stayed at or below 8:01/mile, average 7:52/mile. Cardio was great. Hardly breathing hard. I think I can beat the 7:30/mile pace in an actual race. Maybe 7:15.

Looking forward to the father-son race. I'll keep you posted.

Gary
2013-12-04 8:38 AM

User image

Pearland,Tx

George,

I'm trying to get some info on the fitness challenge piece. Don't want to be flipping tractor tires on the beach and then just bonk!
I'm going to go for the 1000 swim + 5k run. It'll be a challenge and will give me some more experience at longer distances as I move toward Oly's next year. Have not considered the Key West Oly -- not up for the 7 hour drive and dont' have a real bike to make the trip worthwhile. Saving my tri's for after the 1st of the year.

Getting excited to see my 5k race time. Did a 5k run a couple days after my last tri in October and posted a 7:30/mile time, which is very fast for me. I've been working hard on running the last month and just did a 10k+ run this morning and stayed at or below 8:01/mile, average 7:52/mile. Cardio was great. Hardly breathing hard. I think I can beat the 7:30/mile pace in an actual race. Maybe 7:15.

Looking forward to the father-son race. I'll keep you posted.

Gary

Gary

You want to get info on fitness about CHALLENGE? Bro thats great!!! and i have no doubt you can do a CHALLENGE Tri
Good luck bro i know you can do it

Cheers

2013-12-04 9:54 AM
in reply to: Sarah73

User image

Hi - my name is Donna and I'm fairly new to Tri. I've been running for 4 years after about a decade of on-again-off-again exercise programs (aerobics, weight training and a couple years of Tae Kwon Do). Since starting to run, I haven't had an "off-again" period. I guess that's because I found out that I'm surprisingly competitive.

I joined a newly formed triathlon club 2 years ago with some running friends who'd decided they were ready to do their first Half, so I had to get a bike, learn to ride and then learn to swim. I did one duathlon the first year. This past season, I did 1 duathlon, 2 sprints and an Olympic relay (I chose bike). Next season I plan on doing 3 sprints, 2 Olympics and probably the same relay again (can't let those hills scare me away!)

I actually do get some good mentoring from the board of my Tri club, but it's nice to get perspective from others too. You might get sick of me, because I tend to overthink things and that leads to a lot of questions!
2013-12-04 9:06 PM

User image

It's not THAT Challenge, dude! It's a local running race. They are tacking on some type of fitness circuit after the 5k as part of that race.
2013-12-04 9:14 PM
in reply to: SmallTriGirl

User image

Master
St. Louis
Originally posted by SmallTriGirl

Hi - my name is Donna and I'm fairly new to Tri. I've been running for 4 years after about a decade of on-again-off-again exercise programs (aerobics, weight training and a couple years of Tae Kwon Do). Since starting to run, I haven't had an "off-again" period. I guess that's because I found out that I'm surprisingly competitive.

I joined a newly formed triathlon club 2 years ago with some running friends who'd decided they were ready to do their first Half, so I had to get a bike, learn to ride and then learn to swim. I did one duathlon the first year. This past season, I did 1 duathlon, 2 sprints and an Olympic relay (I chose bike). Next season I plan on doing 3 sprints, 2 Olympics and probably the same relay again (can't let those hills scare me away!)

I actually do get some good mentoring from the board of my Tri club, but it's nice to get perspective from others too. You might get sick of me, because I tend to overthink things and that leads to a lot of questions!

Welcome Donna! We love to talk about tri stuff, so ask away.
2013-12-04 9:55 PM

User image

Pearland,Tx

It's not THAT Challenge, dude! It's a local running race. They are tacking on some type of fitness circuit after the 5k as part of that race.

Just trying Youre still lucky coming from a state that should be the Tri Capital of North America being theres no off season in Fla. The earliest in Texas is Late March.
2013-12-05 12:01 AM
in reply to: SmallTriGirl

User image

Extreme Veteran
Penticton, BC
Originally posted by SmallTriGirl

Hi Donna and welcome to our group. We've been a bit quiet lately but ask questions and we'll perk up a bit and then we'll likely get going again in the new year. I'd like to suggest you start keeping a log on here because Psy Tri posts our totals mid and end of the month - just nice to see what everyone is up to - and sometimes it helps to come up with advice for you when you ask some questions.

I saw your post in the "Introductions" forum and I wanted to say I laughed when I read what you said about Duathlons. If you're interested you could click on my avatar photo, then click on my log profile and then under "Recent Race Reports" click on my Bare Bones Duathlon report and have a read. You don't have to read it I'm only recommending it because it may be similar to your experience. I'll never ask if you read it.

Anytime I answer newbie posts I always recommend reading race reports, especially for races you're interested in doing yourself. Its a great way to learn and to be inspired.

2013-12-05 8:29 AM

User image

Alright. I'm going to try this again. I'm paying attention now.

I'm in the market for my first "real" bike, as a tri friend of mine has called it. Since my purpose is for triathlons, I am looking at triathlon/TT bikes. Trying to stay at the low end of the price range, given that I'll have to buy all the extras. I could use your input.

New vs. Used?
Brand?
Crankset/cassette configuration (knowing that I don't live in a very hilly area)
Anything to be on the lookout for
2013-12-05 8:55 AM

User image

A used bike would save you a lot of money but you would have to make sure it was structurally sound without major flaws. Craigslist and eBay both are viable options. There is no odometer so you don't really have an idea of how many miles it has. That being said used is usually still a great deal and much more affordable for a first bike. Plus it leaves extra money in your pocket for goodies (bike computer, power meter, race wheels, etc.). Now for brand I would recommend getting fitted at your LBS first and then they should be able to tell you what brands and frames will fit you best. Otherwise just try out different bikes and the fastest bike for you is the one that you are most comfortable on. I hope that helps, I know that a bike is a big investment so if you have any other questions feel free to ask.
2013-12-05 2:57 PM

User image

Thanks - when I get my laptop back from my child tonight, I'll take a look! I do have a training log and a nutrition log, but am not super good at keeping the nutrition log updated. So... it might look like I've only eaten 380 calories on one day, but that's SO far from the truth.

I think I training log is set to public, but I'll make sure.

2013-12-06 12:17 AM

User image

Pearland,Tx

Alright. I'm going to try this again. I'm paying attention now.

I'm in the market for my first "real" bike, as a tri friend of mine has called it. Since my purpose is for triathlons, I am looking at triathlon/TT bikes. Trying to stay at the low end of the price range, given that I'll have to buy all the extras. I could use your input.

New vs. Used?
Brand?
Crankset/cassette configuration (knowing that I don't live in a very hilly area)
Anything to be on the lookout for

Do you have a budget in mind? $$$ wise. I have done all the mistakes in buying a bikes in 4 digits. I might be able to help you dodge a bullet?
New Thread
BT Development Mentor Program Archives » Hashers and Mashers - Open Rss Feed  

of 41