BT Development Mentor Program Archives » Beer Drinker Appreciation Society 2 - Closed Rss Feed  
Moderators: alicefoeller Reply

of 70

2013-11-18 8:29 AM
in reply to: kevinbe

User image

Extreme Veteran
Alberta
Subject: RE: Baby Steps

Well i am as healthy as I have been in months! Still the nerve issues with numbness in finger and weak tricep but manageable. Foot issues cleared up! Back issues feeling better!(played my first hockey game in about a month!)

My jeans must have shrunk as they are a bit tight....

Time to lose that extra weight. Time to start running/biking and swimming. Spin class tonite and a run or swim tomorrow morning! I guess I should map out some sort of training schedule. It has been a loooonng time coming!

Darren good to see you are back swimming...any tri's planned for next year?

David, glad you are managing to start running again!

Kevin, nice job on coaching wrestling. Kids make you feel young(or old...)

Alex, what kind of wetsuit did you get? With that, you could do some nice ocean swims all winter!

Charles sick of the trainer yet?? Figure out your flat issue yet?

2013-11-18 8:57 AM
in reply to: thor67

User image

Extreme Veteran
Cape Coral, FL
Originally posted by thor67

Well i am as healthy as I have been in months! Still the nerve issues with numbness in finger and weak tricep but manageable. Foot issues cleared up! Back issues feeling better!(played my first hockey game in about a month!)

Time to lose that extra weight. Time to start running/biking and swimming. Spin class tonite and a run or swim tomorrow morning! I guess I should map out some sort of training schedule. It has been a loooonng time coming!

Darren good to see you are back swimming...any tri's planned for next year?

David, glad you are managing to start running again!

Kevin, nice job on coaching wrestling. Kids make you feel young(or old...)

Alex, what kind of wetsuit did you get? With that, you could do some nice ocean swims all winter!

Charles sick of the trainer yet?? Figure out your flat issue yet?

Picked up a Synergy suit. They were kind enough to give me a nice hefty discount and they also own Gray Wheels. I get a discount on all Gray products as well so I see a set of carbon clinchers the beginning of next year. So see you don't need to be fast to get a partial sponsorship just put your name and bio out there with a great story on why. Sock Guy, Fluid, and Feed the Machine also are discounting their products for me as well. Sure doesn't hurt in a sport that is so damn expensive. No way would I be able to afford these things otherwise. The cost of nutrition was killing me

Have a great week everyone!
2013-11-18 9:22 AM

User image

Veteran
Illinois
Charles sick of the trainer yet??

A 2.5 hour trailride in 35 degree temperatures and drizzle serves as a reminder why I love and hate the trainer.

Flat issue was caused by small tear in the tire that allowed the cords to wear through the tube, and later through the duct tape boot and into the tube.
2013-11-18 9:31 AM

User image

Expert
Subject: Weekly Goals
Hi All - Sorry I haven't done these in a while.... Let me know if you still want to do the weekly goals.

DQ - Swim 1500m/Bike 45 miles/Run 2 miles, PT 2x each day, lose 2 pounds (currently at 205)
2013-11-18 10:02 AM
in reply to: Qua17

User image

Extreme Veteran
Alberta
Subject: RE: Weekly Goals

Originally posted by Qua17 Hi All - Sorry I haven't done these in a while.... Let me know if you still want to do the weekly goals. DQ - Swim 1500m/Bike 45 miles/Run 2 miles, PT 2x each day, lose 2 pounds (currently at 205)

Well have not figured out a plan yet but suffice to say swim x2/bike x2/run x2/lose a couple of pounds!

Penalty similar to Alex...NO beer until I am back on track! Please ensure I follow this penalty!

2013-11-18 10:11 AM

User image

Extreme Veteran
Cape Coral, FL

Originally posted by Qua17 Hi All - Sorry I haven't done these in a while.... Let me know if you still want to do the weekly goals. DQ - Swim 1500m/Bike 45 miles/Run 2 miles, PT 2x each day, lose 2 pounds (currently at 205)

Well have not figured out a plan yet but suffice to say swim x2/bike x2/run x2/lose a couple of pounds!

Penalty similar to Alex...NO beer until I am back on track! Please ensure I follow this penalty!

Alex - 2 swim, 3 runs, 4 bikes. P90X Yoga 2x.

2013-11-18 6:16 PM
in reply to: Burd

User image

Expert
Originally posted by Burd

Picked up a Synergy suit. They were kind enough to give me a nice hefty discount and they also own Gray Wheels. I get a discount on all Gray products as well so I see a set of carbon clinchers the beginning of next year. So see you don't need to be fast to get a partial sponsorship just put your name and bio out there with a great story on why. Sock Guy, Fluid, and Feed the Machine also are discounting their products for me as well. Sure doesn't hurt in a sport that is so damn expensive. No way would I be able to afford these things otherwise. The cost of nutrition was killing me

Have a great week everyone!
]

The liquid nutrition that is

Wow - sponsorship... Wish I could get some of that up here. Every week it seems to be something new.
2013-11-18 6:20 PM

User image

Expert

Time to lose that extra weight. Time to start running/biking and swimming. Spin class tonite and a run or swim tomorrow morning!

You and I are in the same boat with the tight pants... Luckily, I gave away all my 36s, 38s, and (shudder) 40's as well. So either I need to lose some weight or it's gonna be awful awkward standing in line in starbucks with only my boxers on...

So happy to hear you are finally mending. You've been on the IR for way to long.
2013-11-18 6:23 PM
in reply to: mirthfuldragon

User image

Expert

A 2.5 hour trailride in 35 degree temperatures and drizzle serves as a reminder why I love and hate the trainer.

Flat issue was caused by small tear in the tire that allowed the cords to wear through the tube, and later through the duct tape boot and into the tube.

I know Darren is getting all big and buff in the weight room but we need him to post some pictures from when he would ride to work in the middle of winter. Glasses frosted over, ice in the beard... Brutal! Those always made me feel a little warmer as I heard out on a cold day....

Good for you for getting out there especially since you had to suffer through a flat.
2013-11-18 6:47 PM

User image

Expert
I had a busy day. Started with a 7am bike "fitting" at my PT clinic. The guy spent about 10-15 minutes with me and said that one of the reasons why my hip might be hurting is because my cleats didn't have enough float in them - thereby forcing my hips to move to compensate for the lack of movement in my feet. Then I was reevaluated by my PT (who is awesome) and he says I'm making progress. Not only am I more flexible - but my abs are starting to do their job. He told me the hip pain should get better the stronger my glute gets and he taught me a couple if exercises for me to work on...

Can I just say blessed I am to be working with this guy. Even though his PTA does most of the work, he spends a ton of time with me and is willing to bring in the other PTs to get their opinion as to what he could be doing to help me. This morning, when I asked him for some triathlon coaching advice, he offered to have me come in for a future appointment so he could spend some time with me to help me with my training. Such a nice guy.

Anyway, I swung by my bike shop later in the day to buy the new cleats - and the guy who did my fitting at the LBS refused to sell them to me after he got me up on the trainer and saw what was happening. He disagreed with the other guy because the cleat that I have allows for 8 degrees of motion - but my foot wasn't moving at all. So long story short - he's going to do a comprehensive fitting with lazers and all that crap but he thinks he can make me more comforable in the saddle. Best part is that he offered to do the fitting for a vastly reduced fee and even suggested that he might be able to give me any new gear at cost. This past year with all the injuries has been a big P.I.T.A. but its nice to know thaty people are willing to go out of their way to help.

Finally, I got to go out for a great ride on what was an absolutely beautiful fall day. while it wasn't as warm as it was for Alex in Cape Coral - 63 in november in MA is downright balmy. Best part - I crushed the ride and scored a fastest time on a map my ride segment. Progress

To celebrate, I'm enjoying a New Castle Brown... yum. Night all!
2013-11-18 7:21 PM

User image

Veteran
Illinois
Originally posted by Qua17

Anyway, I swung by my bike shop later in the day to buy the new cleats - and the guy who did my fitting at the LBS refused to sell them to me after he got me up on the trainer and saw what was happening. He disagreed with the other guy because the cleat that I have allows for 8 degrees of motion - but my foot wasn't moving at all. So long story short - he's going to do a comprehensive fitting with lazers and all that crap but he thinks he can make me more comforable in the saddle. Best part is that he offered to do the fitting for a vastly reduced fee and even suggested that he might be able to give me any new gear at cost.

I love good bike guys.

My road pedals are all look - my road bike shoes have grey cleats (4.5 degrees of float) and my tri shoes have red cleats (9 degrees). My fitter notices a fair amount of lateral movement in my knees due to wide hips, which is an issue of spindle length, which is not really adjustable in Look pedals (or my Vectors). I haven't had any knee issues at all, so I don't worry about it.

I imagine he's probably going to set you up with Speedplays, since they have lots of spindle lengths and fully adjustable float, so they'll get it fixed. Pricey though.

2013-11-18 7:24 PM

User image

Veteran
Illinois
Today's treadmill workout, which is to say, self-abuse:

Mile 1 at marathon pace: ~10:15
Mile 2 at HM pace: ~8:45
Mile 3: add 0.10 mph every 0.10 miles until you heart tells you to go $*%& yourself.

I saw 6:45 today. I can't even imagine ever seeing a 5:xx pace.
2013-11-19 9:07 AM

User image

Expert
Spokane, WA
Originally posted by mirthfuldragon

Today's treadmill workout, which is to say, self-abuse:

Mile 1 at marathon pace: ~10:15
Mile 2 at HM pace: ~8:45
Mile 3: add 0.10 mph every 0.10 miles until you heart tells you to go $*%& yourself.

I saw 6:45 today. I can't even imagine ever seeing a 5:xx pace.
That's an incredible mile. I can't even remember the last time I saw 6:anything. Way to go.
2013-11-19 9:10 AM

User image

Expert
Spokane, WA

Hi All - Sorry I haven't done these in a while.... Let me know if you still want to do the weekly goals.

DQ - Swim 1500m/Bike 45 miles/Run 2 miles, PT 2x each day, lose 2 pounds (currently at 205)
3runs for 10 miles
2 bike trainer sessions
1-2 swims
3 strength sessions
195 by Saturday
2013-11-19 9:11 AM

User image

Extreme Veteran
Alberta

Time to lose that extra weight. Time to start running/biking and swimming. Spin class tonite and a run or swim tomorrow morning!

You and I are in the same boat with the tight pants... Luckily, I gave away all my 36s, 38s, and (shudder) 40's as well. So either I need to lose some weight or it's gonna be awful awkward standing in line in starbucks with only my boxers on... So happy to hear you are finally mending. You've been on the IR for way to long.

Don't they give you a free skim latte if you stand in line with boxers?

Yeah I dumped all my 40/42's in the goodwill basket so I am stuck with 33's/34's and one pair of 36. I always have trouble fitting my jeans with my legs. It is worse when I am a tad overweight...As per usual, my goal for spring(yet again) is 190. Gotta a ways to go!

2013-11-19 9:16 AM

User image

Extreme Veteran
Alberta

A 2.5 hour trailride in 35 degree temperatures and drizzle serves as a reminder why I love and hate the trainer. Flat issue was caused by small tear in the tire that allowed the cords to wear through the tube, and later through the duct tape boot and into the tube.
I know Darren is getting all big and buff in the weight room but we need him to post some pictures from when he would ride to work in the middle of winter. Glasses frosted over, ice in the beard... Brutal! Those always made me feel a little warmer as I heard out on a cold day.... Good for you for getting out there especially since you had to suffer through a flat.

Yeah, it snowed just about 6" last night. Over a  foot in the past 4 days total. Seen a guy riding his bike this morning at 5:20am. With windchill, about -13F.

Have fun with your bike ride this morning Darren!!

2013-11-19 9:17 AM

User image

Extreme Veteran
Alberta

Originally posted by mirthfuldragon Today's treadmill workout, which is to say, self-abuse: Mile 1 at marathon pace: ~10:15 Mile 2 at HM pace: ~8:45 Mile 3: add 0.10 mph every 0.10 miles until you heart tells you to go $*%& yourself. I saw 6:45 today. I can't even imagine ever seeing a 5:xx pace.

The only time I see 6:45 is on the clock, or if a bear is chasing me.

2013-11-19 9:20 AM

User image

Extreme Veteran
Alberta

Well got the call for a squash game this morning. First time in about 3 years. Was somewhat hesitant as I am finally off IR but ended up playing this morning. Will pay the price with stiffness tomorrow but really enjoyed it. Got my a$$ handed to me but I will beat him eventually. Funny how much better I feel now that I can start running/biking/swimming again.

Looking at a set of tri bars for christmas....

2013-11-19 1:38 PM

User image

Expert
Originally posted by mirthfuldragon

Anyway, I swung by my bike shop later in the day to buy the new cleats - and the guy who did my fitting at the LBS refused to sell them to me after he got me up on the trainer and saw what was happening. He disagreed with the other guy because the cleat that I have allows for 8 degrees of motion - but my foot wasn't moving at all. So long story short - he's going to do a comprehensive fitting with lazers and all that crap but he thinks he can make me more comforable in the saddle. Best part is that he offered to do the fitting for a vastly reduced fee and even suggested that he might be able to give me any new gear at cost.

I love good bike guys.

My road pedals are all look - my road bike shoes have grey cleats (4.5 degrees of float) and my tri shoes have red cleats (9 degrees). My fitter notices a fair amount of lateral movement in my knees due to wide hips, which is an issue of spindle length, which is not really adjustable in Look pedals (or my Vectors). I haven't had any knee issues at all, so I don't worry about it.

I imagine he's probably going to set you up with Speedplays, since they have lots of spindle lengths and fully adjustable float, so they'll get it fixed. Pricey though.

Charles - based upon the fact that I've been injured most of the year - would you say that the investment is worth it? I guess my concern is laying out more money than I have to. On the other hand - if it means I will be able to work out pain free - I wouldn't bat an eye. Thoughts?
2013-11-19 1:41 PM

User image

Expert
Sadly I have to run to a funeral (a family friend's dad) so just a quick post.

You guys have heard me bitc# for almost a year about the nagging injuries. Today was the first day that I hardly felt any pain while working out. Granted - it was only a mile. But it was an almost pain free mile. Plus, I felt good from working my butt off doing my exercises and I even had a good swim to top it off.

A good day. Can I get an Amen!

As always - thanks for the support!
2013-11-19 2:54 PM

User image

Extreme Veteran
Cape Coral, FL

Sadly I have to run to a funeral (a family friend's dad) so just a quick post.

You guys have heard me bitc# for almost a year about the nagging injuries. Today was the first day that I hardly felt any pain while working out. Granted - it was only a mile. But it was an almost pain free mile. Plus, I felt good from working my butt off doing my exercises and I even had a good swim to top it off.

A good day. Can I get an Amen!

As always - thanks for the support!

That is a huge AMEN! Great news.

As for pedals, let me chime in. I was using Shimano and having problems with my knees and my ortho suggested speedplays also. I went with the x series that gives something like 25 deg of float. Best $120 I ever spent. Some swear by them and some say they have too much float. I happen to be one that swears by them now. They did feel like I was on ice the first few times I got out of the saddle though but now I don't even notice. It's also nice to be able to clip in from either side and I never had to look down at them. YMMV of course.

2013-11-19 3:10 PM

User image

Extreme Veteran
Cape Coral, FL
I know I said no beer until the weight gets under control again but I had a breakthrough swim last night at tri practice. We did 2700 yards total which was the farthest I have ever swam but that's not the breakthrough. After back breaking sprints and crazy breathing drills all of this with only 10 sec rest between sets we got to yard 1900 and it was swam as a fast 100. I hit lap at the start and when I came to the wall again I hit it again. My pace for that 100 was 1:59! This is the first time I broke the 2:00/100 mark. To show how intense last nights swim was my overall average on all 2700 yards was 2:16/100. That average includes my WU and CD which were swam slow and mixed stroke. Can you say hauling a$$. I am super stoked about my swimming starting to get in place. If that didn't earn a beer then nothing will Moral of the story is coming from scared of the water and can't put my face in to this means if I can do it then ANYONE can!

Think of this next time you are in the pool and tired. Just because it's the off season doesn't mean we stop training hard. It's time to suck it up Nancy Boy and get to work. You got this!
2013-11-19 10:57 PM

User image

Expert
Spokane, WA
Originally posted by Burd

I know I said no beer until the weight gets under control again but I had a breakthrough swim last night at tri practice. We did 2700 yards total which was the farthest I have ever swam but that's not the breakthrough. After back breaking sprints and crazy breathing drills all of this with only 10 sec rest between sets we got to yard 1900 and it was swam as a fast 100. I hit lap at the start and when I came to the wall again I hit it again. My pace for that 100 was 1:59! This is the first time I broke the 2:00/100 mark. To show how intense last nights swim was my overall average on all 2700 yards was 2:16/100. That average includes my WU and CD which were swam slow and mixed stroke. Can you say hauling a$$. I am super stoked about my swimming starting to get in place. If that didn't earn a beer then nothing will Moral of the story is coming from scared of the water and can't put my face in to this means if I can do it then ANYONE can!

Think of this next time you are in the pool and tired. Just because it's the off season doesn't mean we stop training hard. It's time to suck it up Nancy Boy and get to work. You got this!
That's it right there! Way to go man!
2013-11-20 8:52 AM

User image

Extreme Veteran
Alberta

Had a great swim this morning! Must be the week of the swim!

What is on everyone's training agenda today?

Hey Darren, how was the bike ride in today? A wee bit chilly?

2013-11-20 8:53 AM

User image

Extreme Veteran
Alberta

Had a great swim this morning! Must be the week of the swim!

What is on everyone's training agenda today?

Hey Darren, how was the bike ride in today? A wee bit chilly?

New Thread
BT Development Mentor Program Archives » Beer Drinker Appreciation Society 2 - Closed Rss Feed  

of 70