BT Development Mentor Program Archives » Beer Drinker Appreciation Society 2 - Closed Rss Feed  
Moderators: alicefoeller Reply

of 70

2013-11-20 9:29 AM
in reply to: 0

User image

Extreme Veteran
Cape Coral, FL
Subject: RE: Baby Steps
I need some opinions. I have been thinking of these extra pounds and trying to figure out how they got here. I am coming up with a theory. My diet hasn't changed except for after my workouts I have been having a recovery drink to rebuild the damage and speed recovery and the weight started shortly after this. It has a 4:1 carb to protein plus a healthy dose of glutamine for repair. My body shape hasn't changed and my clothes fit the same so could it be fat being replaced with lean muscle? Is it true muscle really weighs more than fat? My workouts are getting longer and more intense so could it just be some lean muscle causing the weight increase? I wish there was an easy way I could check fat percentages at home or is there a way? If it is muscle not fat I have no problem with the extra pounds since that would just be better fitness and a stronger body.

Opinions and info please. Am I giving up beer for no reason? Boy wouldn't that be nice to get my beverage back

Edited by Burd 2013-11-20 9:32 AM

2013-11-20 10:19 AM
in reply to: Burd

User image

Extreme Veteran
Alberta

Originally posted by Burd I need some opinions. I have been thinking of these extra pounds and trying to figure out how they got here. I am coming up with a theory. My diet hasn't changed except for after my workouts I have been having a recovery drink to rebuild the damage and speed recovery and the weight started shortly after this. It has a 4:1 carb to protein plus a healthy dose of glutamine for repair. My body shape hasn't changed and my clothes fit the same so could it be fat being replaced with lean muscle? Is it true muscle really weighs more than fat? My workouts are getting longer and more intense so could it just be some lean muscle causing the weight increase? I wish there was an easy way I could check fat percentages at home or is there a way? If it is muscle not fat I have no problem with the extra pounds since that would just be better fitness and a stronger body. Opinions and info please. Am I giving up beer for no reason? Boy wouldn't that be nice to get my beverage back

How much weight have you gained? Over what time period? While muscle can be the answer, it does take time to build up. Gaining fat is much quicker(and easier) than muscle. I would try to track your calorie intake as acurrately as possible. A scale will help you with that. What I think is a cup and what is a cup is very different ! As far as the joy juice(beer), just less. Put only one beer in the fridge for the next day. Saves you from having more than one...

Also get a good beer so you can enjoy it!

Cheers!

2013-11-20 11:31 AM
in reply to: thor67

User image

Extreme Veteran
Cape Coral, FL
Originally posted by thor67

Originally posted by Burd I need some opinions. I have been thinking of these extra pounds and trying to figure out how they got here. I am coming up with a theory. My diet hasn't changed except for after my workouts I have been having a recovery drink to rebuild the damage and speed recovery and the weight started shortly after this. It has a 4:1 carb to protein plus a healthy dose of glutamine for repair. My body shape hasn't changed and my clothes fit the same so could it be fat being replaced with lean muscle? Is it true muscle really weighs more than fat? My workouts are getting longer and more intense so could it just be some lean muscle causing the weight increase? I wish there was an easy way I could check fat percentages at home or is there a way? If it is muscle not fat I have no problem with the extra pounds since that would just be better fitness and a stronger body. Opinions and info please. Am I giving up beer for no reason? Boy wouldn't that be nice to get my beverage back

How much weight have you gained? Over what time period? While muscle can be the answer, it does take time to build up. Gaining fat is much quicker(and easier) than muscle. I would try to track your calorie intake as acurrately as possible. A scale will help you with that. What I think is a cup and what is a cup is very different ! As far as the joy juice(beer), just less. Put only one beer in the fridge for the next day. Saves you from having more than one...

Cheers!

It ranges from 4-7 pounds based on the morning. It started just over a month ago and has been slowly creeping upwards. As for tracking my calories I am religious about logging my food (David can back me up on this one). I have logged my food the exact same way for nearly a year now and am consistently under my budget each day. Could it still be fat or do you think it's likely muscle since it has been over time or is that too short for muscle growth? Could it just be water weight from increased salt and electrolyte intake and that's why it is different each day? Thanks for the speedy reply Thor and trying to help me nail down the cause. Hope this info helps some.
2013-11-20 11:59 AM

User image

Extreme Veteran
Alberta

Originally posted by Burd
Originally posted by thor67

Cheers!

It ranges from 4-7 pounds based on the morning. It started just over a month ago and has been slowly creeping upwards. As for tracking my calories I am religious about logging my food (David can back me up on this one). I have logged my food the exact same way for nearly a year now and am consistently under my budget each day. Could it still be fat or do you think it's likely muscle since it has been over time or is that too short for muscle growth? Could it just be water weight from increased salt and electrolyte intake and that's why it is different each day? Thanks for the speedy reply Thor and trying to help me nail down the cause. Hope this info helps some.

If you pants fit than I would say it is definitely water weight. Weigh yourself throughout the day. I can swing 5-7lbs easily. You may have added a bit of muscle but not much over a month. 

I prescribe  limited beer intake and call me in the morning.  If weight increase persists please book another appt....

2013-11-20 1:20 PM

User image

Veteran
Illinois

I need some opinions. I have been thinking of these extra pounds and trying to figure out how they got here. I am coming up with a theory. My diet hasn't changed except for after my workouts I have been having a recovery drink to rebuild the damage and speed recovery and the weight started shortly after this. It has a 4:1 carb to protein plus a healthy dose of glutamine for repair. My body shape hasn't changed and my clothes fit the same so could it be fat being replaced with lean muscle? Is it true muscle really weighs more than fat? My workouts are getting longer and more intense so could it just be some lean muscle causing the weight increase? I wish there was an easy way I could check fat percentages at home or is there a way? If it is muscle not fat I have no problem with the extra pounds since that would just be better fitness and a stronger body.

Opinions and info please. Am I giving up beer for no reason? Boy wouldn't that be nice to get my beverage back

I'm very consistent in how and when I weight (Friday mornings, after the morning necessaries, before I workout or eat). I have an electronic scale that spits out a body fat percentage; while it isn't necessarily accurate, it is generally precise, so I can get an apples-to-apples comparison. The numbers are also in line with my body fat caliper, so it's good enough for me.

Sorry to say, but even putting on 2 or 3 pounds of muscle mass is very difficult for anyone who isn't a teenage boy (with testosterone levels through the roof).

A couple of things: your calorie burn counts are probably high. I quit using Lose It because the numbers were generally 10% to 30% higher than what my Garmin was spitting out (and the Garmin 910xt, with HR monitor, should be about 90% accurate). As you get fitter, the calories required to perform a certain activity diminish. For example, when I first started running, a mile would typically burn 125 calories. Now I'm less than 100 calories per mile, and last night's slow recovery run was only ~82 calories per mile - a 35% decrease in energy expenditure. I used to use 1,000 calories per hour as a standard burn - now anything over 700 per hour wipes me out physically, and this morning's 90 minute ride only burned 472 calories.

You're also probably cheating on your diet. I say this from experience, and having done so myself often and regularly.

Also, as you get thinner and fitter, your BMR will go down accordingly, so the "deficit zone" - that is, between basic energy input needed to sustain and repair, and actual BMR, gets smaller. I'm to the point now (and have been for the last year) that I really can't cut calories any more without having a major impact on the quality of my workouts, so my only loss comes from workouts, and those are easily overcome by one nice splurge dinner.

You're in good company, for what it's worth. Redouble your efforts, and keep on it.
2013-11-20 1:33 PM
in reply to: 0

User image

Extreme Veteran
Cape Coral, FL
Originally posted by mirthfuldragon

I'm very consistent in how and when I weight (Friday mornings, after the morning necessaries, before I workout or eat). I have an electronic scale that spits out a body fat percentage; while it isn't necessarily accurate, it is generally precise, so I can get an apples-to-apples comparison. The numbers are also in line with my body fat caliper, so it's good enough for me.

Sorry to say, but even putting on 2 or 3 pounds of muscle mass is very difficult for anyone who isn't a teenage boy (with testosterone levels through the roof).

A couple of things: your calorie burn counts are probably high. I quit using Lose It because the numbers were generally 10% to 30% higher than what my Garmin was spitting out (and the Garmin 910xt, with HR monitor, should be about 90% accurate). As you get fitter, the calories required to perform a certain activity diminish. For example, when I first started running, a mile would typically burn 125 calories. Now I'm less than 100 calories per mile, and last night's slow recovery run was only ~82 calories per mile - a 35% decrease in energy expenditure. I used to use 1,000 calories per hour as a standard burn - now anything over 700 per hour wipes me out physically, and this morning's 90 minute ride only burned 472 calories.

You're also probably cheating on your diet. I say this from experience, and having done so myself often and regularly.

Also, as you get thinner and fitter, your BMR will go down accordingly, so the "deficit zone" - that is, between basic energy input needed to sustain and repair, and actual BMR, gets smaller. I'm to the point now (and have been for the last year) that I really can't cut calories any more without having a major impact on the quality of my workouts, so my only loss comes from workouts, and those are easily overcome by one nice splurge dinner.

You're in good company, for what it's worth. Redouble your efforts, and keep on it.

Well put and it makes sense. I assume BMR is something to do with my base metabolic rate, is that right? As for calorie burns you had told me months ago not to use the Lose It ones so I only go by my 910xt with the HR strap. I guess I just need to get strict again and shut the hole under my nose again. Time to up the veggies and fruits again.

I also looked back and the 4-7 pound weight gain has happened over 3.5 months. Could any of it be just water or is that wishful thinking? haha

Thanks.

ETA: How much of a deficit can a person go on while still being able to train hard and not see a decline in performance?

Edited by Burd 2013-11-20 1:41 PM

2013-11-20 2:47 PM

User image

Extreme Veteran
Alberta

I'm very consistent in how and when I weight (Friday mornings, after the morning necessaries, before I workout or eat). I have an electronic scale that spits out a body fat percentage; while it isn't necessarily accurate, it is generally precise, so I can get an apples-to-apples comparison. The numbers are also in line with my body fat caliper, so it's good enough for me. Sorry to say, but even putting on 2 or 3 pounds of muscle mass is very difficult for anyone who isn't a teenage boy (with testosterone levels through the roof). A couple of things: your calorie burn counts are probably high. I quit using Lose It because the numbers were generally 10% to 30% higher than what my Garmin was spitting out (and the Garmin 910xt, with HR monitor, should be about 90% accurate). As you get fitter, the calories required to perform a certain activity diminish. For example, when I first started running, a mile would typically burn 125 calories. Now I'm less than 100 calories per mile, and last night's slow recovery run was only ~82 calories per mile - a 35% decrease in energy expenditure. I used to use 1,000 calories per hour as a standard burn - now anything over 700 per hour wipes me out physically, and this morning's 90 minute ride only burned 472 calories. You're also probably cheating on your diet. I say this from experience, and having done so myself often and regularly. Also, as you get thinner and fitter, your BMR will go down accordingly, so the "deficit zone" - that is, between basic energy input needed to sustain and repair, and actual BMR, gets smaller. I'm to the point now (and have been for the last year) that I really can't cut calories any more without having a major impact on the quality of my workouts, so my only loss comes from workouts, and those are easily overcome by one nice splurge dinner. You're in good company, for what it's worth. Redouble your efforts, and keep on it.
Well put and it makes sense. I assume BMR is something to do with my base metabolic rate, is that right? As for calorie burns you had told me months ago not to use the Lose It ones so I only go by my 910xt with the HR strap. I guess I just need to get strict again and shut the hole under my nose again. Time to up the veggies and fruits again. I also looked back and the 4-7 pound weight gain has happened over 3.5 months. Could any of it be just water or is that wishful thinking? haha Thanks. ETA: How much of a deficit can a person go on while still being able to train hard and not see a decline in performance?

You will know when you hit the decline when you consistenly feel sluggish during your workouts. Well at least for me that was the case...

2013-11-21 8:51 AM
in reply to: Qua17

User image

Veteran
Illinois
Originally posted by Qua17

Anyway, I swung by my bike shop later in the day to buy the new cleats - and the guy who did my fitting at the LBS refused to sell them to me after he got me up on the trainer and saw what was happening. He disagreed with the other guy because the cleat that I have allows for 8 degrees of motion - but my foot wasn't moving at all. So long story short - he's going to do a comprehensive fitting with lazers and all that crap but he thinks he can make me more comforable in the saddle. Best part is that he offered to do the fitting for a vastly reduced fee and even suggested that he might be able to give me any new gear at cost.

I love good bike guys.

My road pedals are all look - my road bike shoes have grey cleats (4.5 degrees of float) and my tri shoes have red cleats (9 degrees). My fitter notices a fair amount of lateral movement in my knees due to wide hips, which is an issue of spindle length, which is not really adjustable in Look pedals (or my Vectors). I haven't had any knee issues at all, so I don't worry about it.

I imagine he's probably going to set you up with Speedplays, since they have lots of spindle lengths and fully adjustable float, so they'll get it fixed. Pricey though.

Charles - based upon the fact that I've been injured most of the year - would you say that the investment is worth it? I guess my concern is laying out more money than I have to. On the other hand - if it means I will be able to work out pain free - I wouldn't bat an eye. Thoughts?

I thought I had posted a response to your question, but I guess it got eaten by the server.

Based on my research (when I was deciding between the Vectors and a Quarq), the knee movement either matters or it doesn't. The best article on the issue is probably over at Slowtwitch: http://www.slowtwitch.com/Tech/Stance_Width_2562.html[/url">. The terms "stance width" and "Q factor" are used synonymously, though technically the Q factor is the width from the outside of one crankarm to the outside of the other, while stance width is from pedal to pedal.

Based on my unscientific opinion, lateral knee movement probably isn't a huge deal, unless it causes issues elsewhere. I can see two arguments here:
(1) Minimal lateral movement, in an effort to limit the leg to one plane of motion. It makes sense, and ensures you aren't wasting power on non-essential movement. As a counter to this argument, I wonder about the wear those millions of strokes in the same small area cause on the knee joint.

(2) Lateral movement doesn't really matter, since leg and knee are dynamic joints that evolved to move in a three-dimensional situation; therefore, lateral movement can prevent or reduce knee wear and pain by distributing the load across a larger knee area. The counter is, of course, that lateral movement wastes power and seems strange.

Speedplay pedals run ~$200 for the stainless ones (which have swappable spindles), and the spindles might be another $50 - so pricey, but not prohibitively so. Your fitter might also be able to wedge your cleats to correct the issue, but wedging seems more to deal with differences between legs as opposed to stance width issues.

Another take on the discussion is the fact that, other than Speedplay, nobody else makes different spindle lengths. If there was a demand for it (and the fitters were pushing the issue), we'd see more aftermarket support. Take into account that the general cycling or triathlete is an older male (a demographic known for knee problems), and that's a small argument that lateral movement isn't a big deal.

My fitter, who is one of four FIST certified professional fitters on the planet as of October 2013, fiddled with it but ultimately didn't push the Speedplays on me, even when I brought it up. In fact, he suggested the Vectors because the combination was a bit cheaper than the Speedplay setup.

On the cleat end of things, that seems all about personal preference. My road shoes have 4.5 degree cleats (grey) and my tri shoes have 9 degree cleats (red), and after a few hours on the trainer, I don't like the float of the reds - there's just too much movement for my liking. I'll probably go back to greys across the board when I hit the road in the spring.
2013-11-22 2:06 PM
in reply to: mirthfuldragon

User image

Extreme Veteran
Alberta

Welll another dump of snow....Looks like workout will be shoveling the driveway/sidewalk, followed by happy hour and our Friday night homemade pizza.

Hope to get a bike or run this weekend. 

Have a great weekend everyone!

2013-11-23 8:59 AM

User image

Veteran
Illinois
Subject: RE: Cold Run
I have a Half Marathon Turkey Trot next Saturday, and I've only been doing easy running, and mostly indoors on the treadmill.

So, I decided today was a good day for a tempo run . . .when I got back, my house thermometer said 20 degrees fareneheit, and I was sucking a 20mph headwind all the way back. Weather report indicates a windchill of 8 degrees.

It was a bit cold I haven't ran a long-distance tempo in several months, so it felt good to go out and hammer it for a bit. Hopefully the weather will be better. I'm hoping for a sub-2 hour half, which comes to a 9:09 pace. Today's tempo, without nutrition, averaged 9:34, and I felt dehydrated on the way back. With 40 degree temps, I think a sub-2 is very doable.

2013-11-23 11:38 AM

User image

Expert
Fallon, Nevada
Subject: hello boyz and gurlz!
Still here and have been keeping up on the post. Been hangingback a little; work absolutely drains me emotionaly,mentally , and physically. I love helping all the families but at work I have 99 problems and a b#@ch ain't one, well most days. Yesterday I only had two crying moms to talk off the ledge the other 99 problems just needed solving. School is easy but I am getting B which annoys the heck out of me bc its my fault . Training? What is that? I manage a run once a week and ventured an Insanity workout...ouch. grandson lives here now and no matter how tired I am we play and talk every night I get home befor 9. New German Shepard is like having a baby...I have to be soooo consumed with her poop schedule!

Obviously, I am not managing my tri life like I want a need to gain better focus. Any ideas? What have you done to find balance?

2013-11-23 2:45 PM

User image

Expert
Spokane, WA
Subject: RE: Cold Run

I have a Half Marathon Turkey Trot next Saturday, and I've only been doing easy running, and mostly indoors on the treadmill.

So, I decided today was a good day for a tempo run . . .when I got back, my house thermometer said 20 degrees fareneheit, and I was sucking a 20mph headwind all the way back. Weather report indicates a windchill of 8 degrees.

It was a bit cold I haven't ran a long-distance tempo in several months, so it felt good to go out and hammer it for a bit. Hopefully the weather will be better. I'm hoping for a sub-2 hour half, which comes to a 9:09 pace. Today's tempo, without nutrition, averaged 9:34, and I felt dehydrated on the way back. With 40 degree temps, I think a sub-2 is very doable.

That's funny, a Half marathon TROT! normally those are like 5 and 10K's. Way to go keeping the fitness up. Go after it.
2013-11-23 2:54 PM
in reply to: SportzVision

User image

Expert
Spokane, WA
Subject: RE: hello boyz and gurlz!
Originally posted by SportzVision

Still here and have been keeping up on the post. Been hangingback a little; work absolutely drains me emotionaly,mentally , and physically. I love helping all the families but at work I have 99 problems and a b#@ch ain't one, well most days. Yesterday I only had two crying moms to talk off the ledge the other 99 problems just needed solving. School is easy but I am getting B which annoys the heck out of me bc its my fault . Training? What is that? I manage a run once a week and ventured an Insanity workout...ouch. grandson lives here now and no matter how tired I am we play and talk every night I get home befor 9. New German Shepard is like having a baby...I have to be soooo consumed with her poop schedule!

Obviously, I am not managing my tri life like I want a need to gain better focus. Any ideas? What have you done to find balance?
Cynthia-

I'd recommend setting small, attainable weekly goals for yourself and shoot to achieve them. If your running once a week now, try and up it to 2x next week, or try adding in a bike session, or a workout video. Reward yourself with something you enjoy after achieving goal. If you miss it, try and get it the following week.

Sounds like you've got a million things going on. Keep the workouts light and enjoyable. Use it as stress relief.
2013-11-24 4:34 PM
in reply to: kevinbe

User image

Expert
Fallon, Nevada
Subject: RE: hello boyz and gurlz!
Originally posted by kevinbe

Cynthia-

I'd recommend setting small, attainable weekly goals for yourself and shoot to achieve them. If your running once a week now, try and up it to 2x next week, or try adding in a bike session, or a workout video. Reward yourself with something you enjoy after achieving goal. If you miss it, try and get it the following week.

Sounds like you've got a million things going on. Keep the workouts light and enjoyable. Use it as stress relief.

Thanks Kevin
2013-11-24 4:36 PM

User image

Expert
Fallon, Nevada
Subject: goals
A good friend, that I never met, told me to set small attainable goals..I will start the weeks goals this week...
Each event 1 x .
2013-11-25 7:04 PM

User image

Expert

I know I said no beer until the weight gets under control again but I had a breakthrough swim last night at tri practice. We did 2700 yards total which was the farthest I have ever swam but that's not the breakthrough. After back breaking sprints and crazy breathing drills all of this with only 10 sec rest between sets we got to yard 1900 and it was swam as a fast 100. I hit lap at the start and when I came to the wall again I hit it again. My pace for that 100 was 1:59! This is the first time I broke the 2:00/100 mark. To show how intense last nights swim was my overall average on all 2700 yards was 2:16/100. That average includes my WU and CD which were swam slow and mixed stroke. Can you say hauling a$$. I am super stoked about my swimming starting to get in place. If that didn't earn a beer then nothing will Moral of the story is coming from scared of the water and can't put my face in to this means if I can do it then ANYONE can!

Think of this next time you are in the pool and tired. Just because it's the off season doesn't mean we stop training hard. It's time to suck it up Nancy Boy and get to work. You got this!

I know this is a week late - but I am proud of you Nancy Boy! Way to go buddy!

2013-11-25 7:11 PM

User image

Expert

Anyway, I swung by my bike shop later in the day to buy the new cleats - and the guy who did my fitting at the LBS refused to sell them to me after he got me up on the trainer and saw what was happening. He disagreed with the other guy because the cleat that I have allows for 8 degrees of motion - but my foot wasn't moving at all. So long story short - he's going to do a comprehensive fitting with lazers and all that crap but he thinks he can make me more comforable in the saddle. Best part is that he offered to do the fitting for a vastly reduced fee and even suggested that he might be able to give me any new gear at cost.

I love good bike guys.

My road pedals are all look - my road bike shoes have grey cleats (4.5 degrees of float) and my tri shoes have red cleats (9 degrees). My fitter notices a fair amount of lateral movement in my knees due to wide hips, which is an issue of spindle length, which is not really adjustable in Look pedals (or my Vectors). I haven't had any knee issues at all, so I don't worry about it.

I imagine he's probably going to set you up with Speedplays, since they have lots of spindle lengths and fully adjustable float, so they'll get it fixed. Pricey though.

Charles - based upon the fact that I've been injured most of the year - would you say that the investment is worth it? I guess my concern is laying out more money than I have to. On the other hand - if it means I will be able to work out pain free - I wouldn't bat an eye. Thoughts?

I thought I had posted a response to your question, but I guess it got eaten by the server.

Based on my research (when I was deciding between the Vectors and a Quarq), the knee movement either matters or it doesn't. The best article on the issue is probably over at Slowtwitch: http://www.slowtwitch.com/Tech/Stance_Width_2562.html[/url">. The terms "stance width" and "Q factor" are used synonymously, though technically the Q factor is the width from the outside of one crankarm to the outside of the other, while stance width is from pedal to pedal.

Based on my unscientific opinion, lateral knee movement probably isn't a huge deal, unless it causes issues elsewhere. I can see two arguments here:
(1) Minimal lateral movement, in an effort to limit the leg to one plane of motion. It makes sense, and ensures you aren't wasting power on non-essential movement. As a counter to this argument, I wonder about the wear those millions of strokes in the same small area cause on the knee joint.

(2) Lateral movement doesn't really matter, since leg and knee are dynamic joints that evolved to move in a three-dimensional situation; therefore, lateral movement can prevent or reduce knee wear and pain by distributing the load across a larger knee area. The counter is, of course, that lateral movement wastes power and seems strange.

Speedplay pedals run ~$200 for the stainless ones (which have swappable spindles), and the spindles might be another $50 - so pricey, but not prohibitively so. Your fitter might also be able to wedge your cleats to correct the issue, but wedging seems more to deal with differences between legs as opposed to stance width issues.

Another take on the discussion is the fact that, other than Speedplay, nobody else makes different spindle lengths. If there was a demand for it (and the fitters were pushing the issue), we'd see more aftermarket support. Take into account that the general cycling or triathlete is an older male (a demographic known for knee problems), and that's a small argument that lateral movement isn't a big deal.

My fitter, who is one of four FIST certified professional fitters on the planet as of October 2013, fiddled with it but ultimately didn't push the Speedplays on me, even when I brought it up. In fact, he suggested the Vectors because the combination was a bit cheaper than the Speedplay setup.

On the cleat end of things, that seems all about personal preference. My road shoes have 4.5 degree cleats (grey) and my tri shoes have 9 degree cleats (red), and after a few hours on the trainer, I don't like the float of the reds - there's just too much movement for my liking. I'll probably go back to greys across the board when I hit the road in the spring.

Thanks for the post Charles. I will check out the article. I don't think I will know for sure until the fitting - but I think I'm being unrealistic to believe that I will feel a difference during the fitting. However - I'm willing to spend the money if it feels like it will be worth it. I'd pay a ton of money to be Pain Free...
2013-11-25 7:17 PM

User image

Expert
Subject: RE: goals

A good friend, that I never met, told me to set small attainable goals..I will start the weeks goals this week...
Each event 1 x .
[/QUOTE

A agree with Kevin about the setting small goals and I like the one time in each discipline. My suggestion would be to book the times now. It sounds like you're really busy so putting the workouts on the calendar now will help you to get them done. Also, think of how you will reward yourself for making it happen.
2013-11-25 7:27 PM

User image

Expert
Hi all - I've been bad about being a regular visitor to the BDAS. I've been doing the work, I just haven't been logging it. I will try to do better.

I've been thinking about you guys as the weather has turned cold up here in New England. Went for 20 mile ride on Saturday - the wind chill was -13C/8F. To get me out the door - I thought about DH biking to work in the snow and then when I started, I had to tell myself to Suck it Up Nancy Boy - now all of us can live in FL. But the exercise got done.

I'm still doing PT like it's my job - an hour a day. That has allowed me to build up my bike mileage and get me running small bits (1 mile at a time). I'm hoping to go 25 this week and then 30 the week after. Tomorrow is a run day and I'm going to be good and stick with the mile until I talk to my PT on Wednesday.

Speaking of beer - I brewed an IPA yesterday in a way I never have before. We basically just dumped in everything without measuring and we shall see what we get. I'm betting its going to be awesome!
2013-11-26 5:26 PM

User image

Expert
So here is Tuesday's update - just in case the string of posts buggs you...

Inspired by Alex - I decided to hit the pool hard today and did a workout that would make Nancy Boy proud. I put in 5 sets of 100 and managed to finish all of them in under 2:00 which I was stoked about. But the cool thing was that I did my last splint in 1:44 - my fastest 100 ever!

Also want to say I hope the guy who wouldn't share a lane with me steps in a big cold slushy puddle on his way to work sometime in the near future...

I also went out for "a run" even though my hip hurt a bit. I'm hoping that ice, ibuprophin and a trip to the Pt's tomorrow will get it under control. If not, I might have to resort to the medicinal powers of a barley pop or two.

Prost!
2013-11-27 10:40 AM

User image

Veteran
Illinois
To Alex and DQ, and everyone else swimming sub-2:00/100: I make this statement with the utmost of respect to you as my friends, peers, and colleagues in this sport: I hate you from the bottom of the deep, black pit where my lawyer soul used to be, and that hate will continue to grow as I keep bashing against my 2:30/100 wall at Masters. And I hate all the guys in masters group, who've been swimming since age 5 and rip off 1:30/100's without breathing hard, and I especially hate their collegiate swimmer children who seem to be part dolphin at 1:00/100.

Congratulations on the breakthrough.

In a lighter tone, I'm really looking forward to my HM on Saturday. Let's see if I can hold on for a sub-2:00:00 finish (9:00/mile or faster).

Have a happy holiday friends.

2013-11-28 8:13 AM

User image

Extreme Veteran
Cape Coral, FL
Happy Thanksgiving!

Well my sons first 5k is in the books. He did 29:00 and got 18th out of 70 in his age group. I finished at 29:01. I caught him at about 1.5 miles and hung with him because I wanted to finish together. There were about 2000 people there and it was a mad house so it took a while to get started running so his time could have been lower. I was surprised how good I felt and am sure I could have done under 27 if I pushed it. Guess the training is starting to pay off and it will only get better.

Hope everyone has a great Thanksgiving and enjoys their day.
2013-11-28 11:25 AM

User image

Expert
Spokane, WA

Alex, Way to get out there on the run with the boy. That's a strong run.

Charles, looking forward to you race report. Don't worry about the swim times, you'll be passing them all on the bike and run anyway.

David, That beer sounds like a smorgasbord IPA goodness. Glad to hear about the cycling. Do you have a trainer yet for this winter? Hope the legs hold out for you this week and you can build on it for next week. Like Bob, it's all about the "baby steps"

Thor- Good to see you on the board again. Hoping your staying strong.

DH- Any word from the frozen tundra up North?

Cynthia- Did you meet your goal?

Happy Thanksgiving BDAS!

2013-11-28 3:56 PM
in reply to: kevinbe

User image

Extreme Veteran
Alberta

Happy thanksgiving to my southern friends. Enjoy a few beers with your turkey!

2013-11-28 5:00 PM

User image

Champion
Calgary
as long as we are sharing swimming stories:

On Tuesday I blasted out 2000 meters with 11 X 50 meters hard, all in 45 min. Which is nuts. Today I barely managed 1500 in 45 minutes. As my body was absolutely wasted from Stronglifts workout A completed on Wednesday.
New Thread
BT Development Mentor Program Archives » Beer Drinker Appreciation Society 2 - Closed Rss Feed  

of 70