BT Development Mentor Program Archives » ASPHALT JUNKIES Summer Bronzing Crew - CLOSED Rss Feed  
Moderators: alicefoeller Reply

of 114

2013-12-25 8:59 PM
in reply to: 0

User image

Extreme Veteran
Sidney, Ohio
Subject: RE: ASPHALT JUNKIES Summer Bronzing Crew - CLOSED
Time for some post christmas shopping, I want to upgrade my bike from cages to actual shoes, trisports has some decent deals in shoes. I'm curious what brand everyone wears and how close they are to size in your running shoes. For example I wear a running shoe size 11, according to the shimano size this is a 45.5. But they only offer 45 and 46, I'm concerned if I go small they will be tight and if I go big they will be floppy! Also it's odd I cannot even find a place that sells the 1/2 size so not even sure if they exist! I also looked at Pearl Izumi and their chats show 45 right at a size 11 US. Price is roughly the same....Thoughts?

http://www.trisports.com/shimano-pd-r550-spd-sl-pedals.html

http://www.trisports.com/shimano-sh-tr31-triathlon-shoe.html

edited note: my location is in the middle of BFE and the bike shops that are around me only deal with cruisers and such, so going to a store is not easy!

Edited by mambos 2013-12-25 9:04 PM

2013-12-26 8:03 AM
in reply to: mambos

User image

Bronze member

Matt I am shopping for shoes too. I've read a couple of articles and they all say size is not the same as your normal shoe size. The cycling shoes should not be too tight but also not leave much room for your foot to wiggle around. One article said your big toe only needs a millimeter or two of space. Other important factors with cycling shoes are the width, you don't want it too wide or too tight. Make sure there is no pressure to the foot from the fastening system. And finally make sure your heel does not slip.

There are bunches of articles if you want to read more, I just searched How to find the correct size cycling shoe.

After all of that it sounds really complicated but I ordered my first pair of cycling shoes online knowing nothing and they have been fine all these years. They just smell bad from all the sweat and lake water and the velcro is wearing out.

You will also want to read up on how to place the cleat on the bottom of your shoe. I had mine all wrong at first and suffered with hot spots on the balls of my feet for several months. The bike shop caught it when I went for a fitting and it made a huge difference.

One more thing, and it may not bother you, but I will never get white shoes again if I can help it! They show all the dirt.

2013-12-26 9:27 AM

User image

Expert
Mastic Beach, NY
Matt I ordered my shoes online as well. I have a pair of Louis Garneau Tri-Lite tri shoes. I'm a size 11 so I went with a 44.5 and they fit perfectly for me. They are white with some black in there. I didn't want all black shoes. As far as the cleat goes Dina is right about that. I took my shoes in when I got my bike fit and bought the pedals and cleats at the bike shop and they did a proper fit for me when I was getting the bike fitting. When you purchase the pedals you'll need to make sure you get the cleats for them as well. I know it may not be practical to go to a bike shop for a fitting so you may have to adust you cleats more than once to get a proper fitting.

I will say I notice a big difference from riding with and without cleats. I have flat pedals on the MTN bike because I don't think I'm ready for clip in pedals yet but I definitely lose my footing on the pedals at times. I know it's not the same with a road or tri bike but I think I'd ride a better if I had the clips in pedals. I may look to do it though.

Edit - Matt one more thing in checking the website and the sizing the LG shoes I have and the Shimano's you are looking at have totally different sizing so it doesn't look like it is standard across shoes when going from the US sizing to EU sizing. I think if it were me I'd probably look at the size 46 EU for that Shimano shoe and that looks like a pretty good price as well.

Edited by strikyr 2013-12-26 9:39 AM
2013-12-26 11:06 AM
in reply to: strikyr

User image

Extreme Veteran
Racine, Wisconsin
Happy day after Christmas hope you all had an amazing day yesterday!

I got my new kinetics power/ watt meter that hubby is attaching right now and am planning to use this afternoon and the swim speed secret book which is very interesting as I am already on chapter 4 and looking forward to getting in the pool with a different view on swimming than what I have been doing which will hopefully turn into some faster times!

2013-12-26 3:29 PM
in reply to: Jo63

User image

NH
Originally posted by mambosI'm concerned if I go small they will be tight and if I go big they will be floppy! Also it's odd I cannot even find a place that sells the 1/2 size so not even sure if they exist! I also looked at Pearl Izumi and their chats show 45 right at a size 11 US. Price is roughly the same....Thoughts?

If you're ordering online, be sure the site has a return policy. Bike shoe sizes are notoriously weird, so no matter how careful you are you may need to adjust a bit. I have three pairs of shoes, and one is 44.5, one is 45, and one is 46.5 and they all fit great. Width is an issue for me as well, so if you need a wider shoe let us know and maybe the suggestion changes.

Originally posted by Jo63

Happy day after Christmas hope you all had an amazing day yesterday!

I got my new kinetics power/ watt meter that hubby is attaching right now and am planning to use this afternoon and the swim speed secret book which is very interesting as I am already on chapter 4 and looking forward to getting in the pool with a different view on swimming than what I have been doing which will hopefully turn into some faster times!

We had a great day at the Bayeks! Way too much food, but so be it. Awesome news on the power meter. Just ride for a while and get a feel for the numbers, and eventually you'll want to do a test and get your zones nailed down. The power meter used properly is a true game changer.

I got that same swimming book! I'm just starting it but it seems fascinating. We'll see if it's something we can incorporate into actual racing and make real improvements.
2013-12-26 6:19 PM
in reply to: wbayek

User image

Extreme Veteran
Sidney, Ohio
Well you guys have not given me a warm fuzzy about ordering online! I wonder if it might be worth the 1.5hr drive to columbus to find a bike store?

2013-12-27 7:10 AM

User image

Bronze member

Only if they have a wide selection of shoes. I'm in the same boat here. Our local shops are small, don't carry much for ladies and don't stock anything triathlon specific. The shop I go to for tri stuff is 1.5 hours away but their prices are not competitive with online prices so now I am spending the extra money on gas, paying higher prices and don't have very many options when I get there!

I would (& have) try ordering online, just make sure you can return. TriSports, if I remember right, if you buy something from there on sale they don't take a return. I think it was there that I bought 2 pair of zoot shoes on clearance thinking I would try them on, decide what I liked best, and return the other pair. I found out the return policy too late.

2013-12-27 8:11 AM
in reply to: trigal38

User image

Extreme Veteran
Sidney, Ohio

Brenda

I just took another look at the Mohican Endurance festival in June and that looks like it could be a really tough and challenging course, also looks to be fun.  Especially the out and back run course along the river with what is called the "Infamous Dam Hill Trail"!  I noticed registration opens on 1-1-2014, Have you decided if your going to sign up for it?  I am considering having two HIM on my schedule and eliminate alot of the smaller races, I have narrowed my early season options down to the Richmond HIM,  The endurance festival or the HIM at Maumee bay.  I think the one at maumee bay may be a little boring though knowing the terrain and lack of difficulty to it.  

2013-12-27 8:13 AM

User image

Bronze member

And mentors, you may not have to worry about taking on any new group members. Have you checked out the new mentor forum? These groups have been open for almost a week and they are not filling up! What is happening to B.T.? I remember when half the groups were full before I could even join one.

2013-12-27 8:46 AM

User image

Expert
Mastic Beach, NY
Originally posted by trigal38

And mentors, you may not have to worry about taking on any new group members. Have you checked out the new mentor forum? These groups have been open for almost a week and they are not filling up! What is happening to B.T.? I remember when half the groups were full before I could even join one.

I agree that is very surprising to me. Usually the mentoring groups fill up very quickly even during the holidays. Maybe BT is going through a bit of a down cycle here or maybe everyone decided to take a break during the holidays this year.
2013-12-27 2:36 PM

User image

NH
Originally posted by mambos

Well you guys have not given me a warm fuzzy about ordering online! I wonder if it might be worth the 1.5hr drive to columbus to find a bike store?

Don't worry about ordering online as long as you can return. The reason I am strongly in favor of having the ability to return things like shoes is how important and individual shoe fit can be. If there is no return option, you will put up with a less than optimal fit and that could really affect your riding. For instance, if there a slight irritation somewhere, and you just accept it, that could sprout into a blister during your big build up weeks and then you are dealing with something during your race which was completely unnecessary.

This could actually make the online purchase MORE appropriate for you. If you can't get back to the bike shop easily, will you be able to exchange a shoe? An unfortunate truth is that shoes can be a little like saddles. What feels comfortable for a 5 minute test may be very uncomfortable 90 minutes into a 3 hour ride.

2013-12-27 2:37 PM

User image

NH
Originally posted by strikyr

I agree that is very surprising to me. Usually the mentoring groups fill up very quickly even during the holidays. Maybe BT is going through a bit of a down cycle here or maybe everyone decided to take a break during the holidays this year.

I hadn't looked at the groups yet, but this is interesting. The groups used to fill immediately at first. Maybe more people are realizing more groups come and they are cherry picking the group for their particular situation.
2013-12-27 7:37 PM
in reply to: wbayek

User image

Master
Fort Wayne
Originally posted by wbayek
Originally posted by strikyr

I hadn't looked at the groups yet, but this is interesting. The groups used to fill immediately at first. Maybe more people are realizing more groups come and they are cherry picking the group for their particular situation.
I choose to believe that everyone is waiting to get into the Junkies. In fact I'm sure that's what it is!
2013-12-27 7:44 PM

User image

Master
Fort Wayne

Brenda

I just took another look at the Mohican Endurance festival in June and that looks like it could be a really tough and challenging course, also looks to be fun.  Especially the out and back run course along the river with what is called the "Infamous Dam Hill Trail"!  I noticed registration opens on 1-1-2014, Have you decided if your going to sign up for it?  I am considering having two HIM on my schedule and eliminate alot of the smaller races, I have narrowed my early season options down to the Richmond HIM,  The endurance festival or the HIM at Maumee bay.  I think the one at maumee bay may be a little boring though knowing the terrain and lack of difficulty to it.  

I need to find a HIM about 4-6 weeks out from IMWI in order to check nutrition planning and fitness. I'll have to look at the dates and see how these races fit into my plan for next year. In order to feel good about the full distance race I'll need to make use I get the half in.
2013-12-28 7:54 AM
in reply to: DirkP

User image

Bronze member

O.k. Junkies. the New Year is fast approaching. Does anyone have any specific goals you are working towards in the New Year?

I mean obviously I know preparing for and finishing an IM is probably a big enough goal for most of you .

I have a couple - clean up my eating. I've been eating bad this last month.

Take care of the issues with my left foot. Time to see someone I think. It's been almost 2 years I've been dealing with what I thought was a cyst which is now gone but I have more pain than ever. I'm kind of afraid to find out, afraid they will want MRI or other expensive tests but also afraid if I don't take care of it I will end up needing surgery. Yikes. Kinda makes me sick just typing it out but there - I said it.

2013-12-28 2:45 PM

User image

Extreme Veteran
Racine, Wisconsin
Dina...get that foot checked out!!!

Aside form my IM training I have got to loose some weight i am not sure what happened after my birthday but I consumed basically anything that was in front of me so the goal is to loose about 12 pounds before IM training starts.

I have gotten 2 rides in using power the first ride was basically to just get comfortable with it, I also have still been struggling with my seat so I kept getting off and re-adjusting it I think I have finally found a comfortable position.

Today's ride was interesting, I found that it is easier for me to keep my power more consistent and by doing that my Heart rate was more consistent.

I am heading outside now it is actually 45 out and i am going to get some fresh air before the temp decides to go back down to zero, which I believ is supposed to happen starting tomorrow.

and on a side note THANK GOD Aaron Rogers is back

2013-12-28 4:59 PM

User image

Extreme Veteran
Tx
For shoes, I echo what others have said - make sure and buy from someone with a generous return policy. I know sierratradingpost.com is pretty good... i think you can wear and try stuff for months and still return it for exchange. REI is known to have one of the best return policies ever... people take stuff back there after years of use (although i think they recently changed their policy to one year). Zappos is another great site.

I'd also recommend starting with the most popular shoes... I've seen a lot of the shimano ones that someone posted. I have the Pearl Izumi Tri Fly and love them... I see a lot others wearing them as well.
2013-12-28 10:00 PM
in reply to: pistuo

User image

Expert
Mastic Beach, NY
Dirk I think your right everyone wants to be a Junkie. I think you guys are going to have a tough time deciding on whose going to get those open spots.

Dina I agree I think it's time to get that foot checked out. You've gone way too long trying to deal with this and I think you've really tried just about everything you could and nothing has really worked for you. I can't blame you for not wanting to get it checked out but it's probably time to do that.

As far as goals go I know I have some which you'd hope I would but to be honest I am not sure what I want t accomplish this year. I need to figure it out this week as I'm going to be starting my training for IMMT on 1/6. I will say that my goal for IMMT is to finish in 13 hours. IMWI was about finishing, IMMT is about hitting my time goal and getting faster at the longer distances. I want to improve by 2 hours over IMWI. I need to get faster in all discplines to do that. I'll get the rest of my goals together this coming week but I would say that would be my number one goal this season.
2013-12-29 3:13 PM

User image

Master
Fort Wayne

Ok, a quick post since most of the people I am visiting are napping.  I'll see how much I can get through before everyone wakes up......

I have put the Junkies winter group into the staging area.  I asked that we go live on New Years Day but I don't expect to actually go live until sometime afterward.  I'll try to keep everyone up to date on whats going on as we get closer.  Below is a link to the group; Go ahead and jump in with a bio or that you want to stay in for the winter session to claim your spot. 

New Group

I have been keeping up some semblance of training while in Ohio visiting family.  I have gotten 1 swim, 3 rides and 2 runs in while here.  It has been somewhat easy to get all of this in as most of it has been done in the mornings before others have been awake, or at least not really moving around.  I am also planning another swim tomorrow morning and that may close out my training while visiting.

2013-12-29 9:13 PM
in reply to: DirkP

User image

Extreme Veteran
Sidney, Ohio

While checking my monthly totals I realized that I may be entering into uncharted territory for me.  If you remember I am in the middle (actually end) of the holiday running challenge and also tagging along with a friend as he tried to push for 1000 miles in 2013.  I set up the following schedule for us to follow (starting on Sunday.  (10,3,5,3,5,3,3).  We then increased the long run by roughly 1 mile each week and the short run on Friday to 4 miles.  By following this schedule I have felt almost no stress on my legs and by Tuesday, Wednesday at the latest the affects of the Sunday long run were gone.   Today I ran 13.2 in just under 2 hours and 8 hours later feel very little hang over from it.

Anyway,  it appears that I am going to set a PR for the number of miles in a single month, my previous best was 136 and with 2 days of running left I am sitting at 134.  Not quite sure how it happened as it just kind of snuck up on me.  I am tempted to carry on a resemblance of this schedule but need to get back into tri training before I run the risk of becoming only a runner  

(Capture.PNG)

Attachments
----------------
Capture.PNG (57KB - 14 downloads)
2013-12-31 5:46 AM

User image

Extreme Veteran
Racine, Wisconsin

While checking my monthly totals I realized that I may be entering into uncharted territory for me.  If you remember I am in the middle (actually end) of the holiday running challenge and also tagging along with a friend as he tried to push for 1000 miles in 2013.  I set up the following schedule for us to follow (starting on Sunday.  (10,3,5,3,5,3,3).  We then increased the long run by roughly 1 mile each week and the short run on Friday to 4 miles.  By following this schedule I have felt almost no stress on my legs and by Tuesday, Wednesday at the latest the affects of the Sunday long run were gone.   Today I ran 13.2 in just under 2 hours and 8 hours later feel very little hang over from it.

Anyway,  it appears that I am going to set a PR for the number of miles in a single month, my previous best was 136 and with 2 days of running left I am sitting at 134.  Not quite sure how it happened as it just kind of snuck up on me.  I am tempted to carry on a resemblance of this schedule but need to get back into tri training before I run the risk of becoming only a runner  

WOW Matt congratulations that is awesome!!

2013-12-31 7:54 AM

User image

Expert
Mastic Beach, NY
Matt that's a great month and a lot of running. Congrats, on doing it twice. I don't think I've come close to doing that much running for any month this past year.

Speaking of which I did my last swim and bike of the year. I did the obligatory 12 mile spin on the trainer just to hit the 4800 mile mark for the year. The ride was sort of like the last day of the Tour de France lol. I can't say I was working very hard. For the swim I'll fall about 1600 meters sort of 180,000 for the year. That's just over 111 miles, not bad for someone who can't swim too well lol. Today is my last chance for the run so the plan is to get 7 miles in so I can hit the 1000 mile mark. I need 6.9 miles to get there so I'll get out and run early this afternoon. It is freezing out there today, I'm waiting until it warms up and I wake up.
2013-12-31 2:40 PM

User image

Expert
Mastic Beach, NY
What an amazing year! Final workout for the year is in the books. I finished off a 7.7 mile run and hit the 1000 mile mark. The 2013 totals are in and I would say it is a career year for me. I don't think I'll be hitting these numbers anytime soon.

Swim: 78h 56m 26s - 178662.39 Meters (111.01 miles)

Bike: 294h 33m 34s - 4800.62 Miles

Run: 180h 59m 33s - 1000.96 Miles
2014-01-01 6:55 AM

User image

Bronze member

Happy New Year Junkies!

2014-01-01 6:57 AM

User image

Master
Fort Wayne

So here are my 2013 numbers for training.........

Swim: 54h 40m 15s - 187041.64 Yd

Bike: 263h 45m 18s - 5186.81 Mi

Run: 143h 48m 27s - 1041.07 Mi

There are some disappointments in my numbers based on goals I established last January but some of it was unavoidable.  With the bike crash and knee injury I had far too much time off for injury.  I would like to have seen what my numbers would have been had I not been injured because the graph below would seem to point to some numbers that would have been a little bigger.

In the coming year I would like to have a better injury related year and have numbers like....

Swim: - 200,000 Yd

Bike: - 5500 Mi

Run: - 1200 Mi

I am also looking to do the Huff 50k next year too.  They have put the new date for the 2014 race on the calendar and it will fall before Christmas next season (Dec. 20)  If I can stay healthy I would like to run Huff for my first Ultra.  It has been a somewhat long standing goal to be able to complete this race but my schedule for our trip to Ohio has been conflicting for a few years.  I have also considered another run toward Boston but I would need to discuss this with Lis first.  Next year is a big year for a lot of reasons, and financing the race would be the hurdle.  HS graduation, a wedding, IM and whatever else may come up could make for some big $$$!  The good thing about Boston would be that I would not run it until 2016 because I wouldn't try to BQ until after IMWI and by that time Boston registration would long be closed for 2015.

Edited by DirkP 2014-01-01 7:05 AM

(2013 Volume Graph.PNG)

Attachments
----------------
2013 Volume Graph.PNG (116KB - 12 downloads)
New Thread
BT Development Mentor Program Archives » ASPHALT JUNKIES Summer Bronzing Crew - CLOSED Rss Feed  

of 114