BT Development Mentor Program Archives » ASPHALT JUNKIES Summer Bronzing Crew - CLOSED Rss Feed  
Moderators: alicefoeller Reply

of 114

2013-05-18 5:57 AM
in reply to: 0

User image

Veteran
Huntertown, IN
Subject: RE: ASPHALT JUNKIES Summer Bronzing Crew - OPENED

Wow!  Thanks for letting me back in.  I am so happy to be part of the group again Smile

I already know most of you from previous seasons, and it’s great to see all of you.  I can’t wait to get to know more about the newbies and the ones who joined the group in the last go around (although I already know a little bit from stalking the board).

I don’t remember whose idea it was to meet up at the Tri Indy, but I really like it!  The Junkies are going to take over the race.

Good luck to all of you doing the Pokagon triathlon this morning!

Brenda, thanks for meeting me for lunch the other day.  We need to do that more often! I am absolutely thrilled for your daughter!  I’m glad she made it through without her shoes. 

Yesterday in honor of “ride your bike to work day” I decided to ride my bike everywhere.  That included picking up my kids from daycare in the bike trailer, taking them to the church picnic, and then biking home from there.  It was a great idea until I broke down on the side of the road with them in the back.  I’m really lucky that someone who knew more about bikes than I did stopped and put me back together.  I learned a lot about my bike in the process but also realized that I really need to take a class!  If anyone knows of a good one around here, let me know! 

Happy racing and training this weekend!

Edited by abergdol 2013-05-18 5:59 AM

2013-05-18 6:57 AM
in reply to: BigDaddyD79

User image

NH
Originally posted by BigDaddyD79

Lol, ya I live on the southern tip of Nova Scotia. Used to have a ferry that ran to Portland, Maine. It was about a 7 hour ride. But if you think that's far, Google St. John's, Newfoundland, I lived there for 5 years you can't get any farther east. DC Rainmaker's girl is from there, he has a race report from there on his site.

Don't think I be making it to Indy, lol. I am planning on doing the world police and fire games in 2015 in Virginia. Not sure if anyone else falls into that category.

It's a beautiful area. I have a close friend from that area, and I've been up to his family farm a few times. Even from here in New Hampshire it's a loooong drive. We made it out to PEI as well, absolutely stunning area. He didn't play hockey interestingly.

I am doing a trainer road virtual Tour de California, and have completed the first 7 stages. It's been fun to ride everyday, even if it's on the trainer, but the legs are starting to feel the accumulation of the fatigue. In a good way. Watching the tour has been more interesting given the rides we've been doing. Some day I may try to get into the Endurance Nation Tour de California camp - they ride the same course just a few hours ahead of the racers. The couple who got me into tri have done it and said it was absolutely amazing.
2013-05-18 7:03 AM

User image

Veteran
Huntertown, IN
Here's my bio:

USERNAME: abergdol NAME: Allison

STORY:
I started running about 10 years ago for exercise and then started running races about 6 years ago.  I started doing triathlons when my husband said that he didn't really like to run but thought tris would be more fun.  He's not very serious about training these days, but every once in awhile I can still talk him into training and/or racing with me.  I only have 2 triathlons under my belt at this point, but I am determined to keep going.

FAMILY STATUS:
This summer my husband and I will celebrate 10 years of marriage.  We are taking an anniversary trip to Barbados!  We have two beautiful children- Keira will be 4 next month, and Elliott is 1 1/2.  They are my biggest fans and can be seen in our bright yellow jogging stroller/bike trailer at most of my races.

JOB:
After 4 years of college, 4 years of dental school, and 3 years of residency, I finally entered the work world as an orthodontist.  I have my own orthodontic practice and have officially been in business for 3 years now.  It was quite a change to be thrown into the world of running a business when all they teach you in school is how to treat teeth!  I have learned a lot in these first 3 years, and my practice has really taken off this year.  

CURRENT TRAINING:
I have always been run focused because it is the discipline that I enjoy the most and tend to do the best in.  I train a lot during my lunch breaks because it is the time that is slowest at work and allows me to help get the kids ready in the mornings and then spend time with them in the evenings.  I have monthly goals that I am working towards but have recently been set back a little bit due to a back injury. 

THIS YEAR’S RACES:
So far this year I have competed in the Huntington Baptist 5K in March, the Nutri-Run 20K in April, and then the 500 Festival Indianapolis half marathon a couple of weeks ago.

The rest of my race calendar so far looks like this:
6/29 Winona Lake Optimist Triathlon (sprint)
8/4 Tri Indy (I think I am going to make this my first oly)
9/28 Fort 4 Fitness Half Marathon
I will probably add a few more to the list, but we'll see how things are going.

LAST SEASON:
Jan: Snowflake 5K
Feb: Fanny Freezer 5K
Mar: Huntington Baptist 5K (PR 21:27)
(April- injured)
May: Association of Orthodontists 5K
June: Winona Lake Optimist Triathlon (sprint)
August: Amishland and Lake Bike Tour (90 miles)
                  and Warrior Dash
September: Popcorn Panic 5mi (PR 36:39)
                  and Fort 4 Fitness Half Marathon
Oct: Hilly 100 Century Bike Ride
Nov: Mazock's Thanksgiving Day Race

MY BIGGEST SUCCESSES:
I am really proud that I ran through almost my entire pregnancy with Elliott in 2011.  I did a race in each trimester and placed in my age group in each one of them. 
I thought that my pre-pregnancy PRs were not possible for me to beat after having kids and aging a few years, but with the help of the junkies I broke my 5K PR only 6 months after I had Elliott and my 5 mile PR before his 1st birthday.  I also ran in my first half marathon around that same time.

WEIGHTLOSS:
I think my weight is perfect where it is at right now and have no desire to gain or lose any.  Exercise is more of a stress relief and feel-good mechanism for me.  I tend to follow the Matt Ambos diet plan Smile

WHAT WILL MAKE ME A GOOD MENTEE:
I missed the Junkies terribly and can't wait to be a part of the group again!

Edited by abergdol 2013-05-18 7:10 AM
2013-05-18 8:54 AM
in reply to: wbayek

User image

Veteran
Nova Scotia, Canada
Originally posted by wbayek

Originally posted by BigDaddyD79

Lol, ya I live on the southern tip of Nova Scotia. Used to have a ferry that ran to Portland, Maine. It was about a 7 hour ride. But if you think that's far, Google St. John's, Newfoundland, I lived there for 5 years you can't get any farther east. DC Rainmaker's girl is from there, he has a race report from there on his site.

Don't think I be making it to Indy, lol. I am planning on doing the world police and fire games in 2015 in Virginia. Not sure if anyone else falls into that category.

It's a beautiful area. I have a close friend from that area, and I've been up to his family farm a few times. Even from here in New Hampshire it's a loooong drive. We made it out to PEI as well, absolutely stunning area. He didn't play hockey interestingly.

I am doing a trainer road virtual Tour de California, and have completed the first 7 stages. It's been fun to ride everyday, even if it's on the trainer, but the legs are starting to feel the accumulation of the fatigue. In a good way. Watching the tour has been more interesting given the rides we've been doing. Some day I may try to get into the Endurance Nation Tour de California camp - they ride the same course just a few hours ahead of the racers. The couple who got me into tri have done it and said it was absolutely amazing.

I would have done the Tour de California had I not been running the HM this weekend. One of my options for a 70.3 next year is in St. Andrews, New Brunswick. The area is beautiful and only a short trip across the border for some shopping after. PEI is pretty nice, they are having their first Gran Fondo this year. Should be a great time.
2013-05-18 1:44 PM

User image

Master
Fort Wayne

Well my race is over and I kind of did better than last year but didn't do as well as last year.  Kinda. Sorta.  I actually set another PR for the Oly distance today by (unofficially) 4:02.  I will wait for the official results to be posted before I get too excited about my time.  The down side is that I placed 3rd overall, which is one place lower than last year.  So hence my disappointment.

The best part of today was getting to meet up with Brenda again!  I had been waiting months to race with her AND she brought a friend.  Barb totally killed the race too!  She placed 2nd overall in the women's Oly.

Great day!  I'll post a RR later...............after a nap!!  Oh, and prom pics with Kyrie (my daughter).

2013-05-18 2:17 PM
in reply to: DirkP

User image

Veteran
Nova Scotia, Canada
Originally posted by DirkP

Well my race is over and I kind of did better than last year but didn't do as well as last year.  Kinda. Sorta.  I actually set another PR for the Oly distance today by (unofficially) 4:02.  I will wait for the official results to be posted before I get too excited about my time.  The down side is that I placed 3rd overall, which is one place lower than last year.  So hence my disappointment.

The best part of today was getting to meet up with Brenda again!  I had been waiting months to race with her AND she brought a friend.  Barb totally killed the race too!  She placed 2nd overall in the women's Oly.

Great day!  I'll post a RR later...............after a nap!!  Oh, and prom pics with Kyrie (my daughter).

Congrats on the PR!

2013-05-18 3:10 PM

User image

Extreme Veteran
Sidney, Ohio
Originally posted by DirkP

looks like a Great race, and you better not be disappointed about knocking 4 minutes off your time! I believe a certain someone always says its more about racing yourself and not the others! Of course it always does make it better when you beat your PR AND beat everyone else!

Of cOurse I say this and I'm also a little disappointed in my race today, finished with a 21:33 which is about 10s off my PR. But I did manage to get my 1st OA podium, with a 3rd place finish. It was a smaller race, but I don't care, podium is podium. Overall my effort was probably my best in a 5k this year, I went into the pain zone and stayed there the entire race. By mile 2.5 my gut felt like it was just about ready to explode because of the pain. Couldn't get a good breath and was a struggle to get through. Odd thing is my legs never felt fatigued, it was just breathing. I think I need to start working on the core if I went to see the 20:@@. Either way it was a Lot of fun!

Edited by mambos 2013-05-18 3:17 PM
2013-05-18 3:31 PM

User image

Expert
Mastic Beach, NY
Great ride for me today, I got in 55 miles in a little over 3 hours. I was hoping for 60 and about 3 1/2 hours but I wanted to get back home before my wife and girls headed out for a baby shower for our niece. It was a group ride and we had 5 of us for the first 20 miles than there were 4 of us up to about 27 miles from there I went solo. I couldn't believe how bad the wind was today and I was nowhere near the water! It was brutal heading south which was the direction of all the hill climbing! I'm convinced it's me and I attract the wind. In any case I'm happy with this ride. Unfortunately I think we will have a group doing a swim at the lake tomorrow and then biking afterwards. I would have liked to have done that but I don't think I'll be able to do it too much stuff to do tomorrow.
2013-05-18 3:43 PM
in reply to: strikyr

User image

Expert
Mastic Beach, NY
Dirk congrats on the PR and the podium in the Oly, I agree with Matt you improved your performance over last year and the is what matter most.

Matt congrats on reaching the podium for your 5K, sounds like a pretty darn good effort being 10s off a PR. You'll probably be getting the PR soon enough the way you've been smoking these 5K's.
2013-05-18 4:00 PM
in reply to: pistuo

User image

Expert
Mastic Beach, NY
Originally posted by pistuo

I feel like I'm a person that is normally good w/ change. Haven't had time to check it all out yet, but just logging training, I'm not liking the new site so far... frowny face!

I got in a great swim today. 3500 meters non-stop for the main set. Not I just have to get stronger on the bike!

To all those racing, represent! And if tracking is available, make sure and post info so we can follow you live!

Will I hear you on the new site. I like it but it's taking some getting used to in order to figure out how do stuff I used to know how to do. Nice swim workout and yes the bike is the ticket. One of the guys I rode with today and has done IM said he was only going to give me one piece of advice for doing IM.

He couldn't emphasize enough how important the bike leg is and he said that's where my focus should be. Not that I should ignore the swim or the run but he really hammered home the importance of training on the bike and making that a strength. I agree, you spend the most time on the bike and a good bike leg with good nutrition will set you up with a good run. I had a very good conversation with him about tactics and strategy for the bike and the run today and IM in general.
2013-05-18 4:38 PM

User image

Bronze member
Holy cow, out of town for a few days and I can't keep up with everything on BT or in the mentor group.

I'm still here, just finding my way around all these new changes. Sounds like everyone is having some great workouts and races this weekend!

Happy to see some old friends and new faces.

2013-05-18 5:08 PM

User image

Extreme Veteran
Tx
Great job on your races everyone! We may need to start a medal count for this group... ha! Dirk, I agree with the others. You got a PR... you cant control who shows up... so relax (or were the guys that beat you local rivals?).

Got in a good 59 mile ride today but it zapped me! Anyone know how to add cadence to the bike WO now???
2013-05-18 6:01 PM

User image

Veteran
Redding, CA

Great races Dirk and Matt!

Matt, an overall podium is fantastic. I ran in a small 5k for St Patty's Day this year and finished 10th overall and 2nd in my age group. Even though it was a smaller race I'll still remember it as my first top 10 overall and first podium for age group.

And Dirk, you crushed your previous time. Way to go!

as for me I had a good 6.3 mile run this morning and have been replacing fencing ever since. I might try our pool tonight for the first time this year. My wife and girls just finished swimming while our neighbor and I were working on the fence.

Edited by JonnyVero 2013-05-18 6:04 PM
2013-05-18 6:35 PM

User image

Extreme Veteran
Racine, Wisconsin
Welcome back Allison! And holy cow on the races done and scheduled good for you!
Matt Way to go on the podium finsh and Dirk.....you PR'd that's awesome.

Nice rides and runs sounds like everyone is getting some good training in.

As for my group ride, it turned out it wasn't really a group ride people showed up whenever and went out. I ended up getting lost, got my first flat, and took my road bike that I don't ride outside and got terrible quad something, I don't think it was cramping I think it was just fatigue? Despite all that it was a great day, the weather was beautiful, they had 4 loops depending on how many miles you were riding, and each loop came back to a park where they had food, water, Gatorade etc and bathrooms. So in my hurry to get out I failed to get complete details, where I would have found out they had marked the roads. I thought All I had was the map oh yeah.......that had very detailed info too So after the first lonely loop I picked up some people to ride with and this definetly made it funner, so all in all I had a great time!

Edited by Jo63 2013-05-19 6:00 AM
2013-05-19 6:11 AM
in reply to: Jo63

User image

Extreme Veteran
Racine, Wisconsin
So we have a class all day today and then I am meeting with the educator one on one to go over business strategies from 5:30 -6:30 no way to get my 2 hr run in I will have to take today as a rest and run tomorrow followed by my w/o with the trainer I am hoping this is not a bad thing. Seeing as I have another heavy training week.

So.....Big Daddy our educator is from Halifax...he owns the chain of salon called the Head shoppe. Have you heard of them?
2013-05-19 7:23 AM

User image

Expert
Tallahassee
Trying to catch up a little,
Will Fruit Loops...NO!!!!!!!!!! You and Tony have to give that stuff up! Good ride though!
Jen, how was the Tough Mudder?
Dirk, congrats on the PR. Hey remember like you tell us, it is not how you compare to others but how you compare to yourself. lol
Matt and Vero, GREAT jobs on your races.
Tony, way to ride
Jo, great job on the bike and overcoming the flat!

I got up early and rode 30+ miles to a 10K race. It ws a beautiful cool ride. The one mistake I made was leaving to early, 5:15. Once I got out of town it was dark and the oncoming traffic blinded me and I couldn;t see where i was going. But once day broke, it was just amazing watching the sky get lighter, fog over ponds, watching foxes and squjirrels playing. This was a hilly ride and I hammered it upp the hills. When I got to Cairo, I got lost and had to ask for directions so now I know the layout of Cairo, GA, Jen's home town. i got there and had about 30 minutes to spare so I put bike up, drank and ate a little.

This was a rolling hilly course, the 1st few miles were fun, then my legs started getting tired around mile 4 and 5, by 6 I said I'm not going to make it but I did. I'm waiting on the official results but according to my watch it was a PR and I got 2nd AG.
Let me tell ya'll about southern town runs, they are very laid back and at the finish line, gosh at all the food, Tallahassee never has anything like that, They of course had oranges, grapes and bananas but all the homemade brownies and cookies, they had enough for a thousand folks and none of the store bought crap, all homemade! Gosh I miss that, I'll do the race next year just for that...
Then I rode back to a meeting spot for wife to pick me up. I didn't really want to ride to much on the major highway I rode in on due to traffic. The 1st few miles back on the bike were tough, then they felt good for a few miles and about the last 5, I was hurting, I couldn't drink enough. Today my lower back is achy due to riding in the drops 90% of the time but my legs feel GREAT!!!

Sorry to bore ya'll so much! To your relief, I will be out of town this week so ya'll be careful and train hard, I'll bore ya'll when I get back...lol

Oh yea, wife got 3rd in here 10K race.

2013-05-19 7:54 AM
in reply to: KWDreamun

User image

Expert
Mastic Beach, NY
Originally posted by KWDreamun

Trying to catch up a little,
Will Fruit Loops...NO!!!!!!!!!! You and Tony have to give that stuff up! Good ride though!
Jen, how was the Tough Mudder?
Dirk, congrats on the PR. Hey remember like you tell us, it is not how you compare to others but how you compare to yourself. lol
Matt and Vero, GREAT jobs on your races.
Tony, way to ride
Jo, great job on the bike and overcoming the flat!

I got up early and rode 30+ miles to a 10K race. It ws a beautiful cool ride. The one mistake I made was leaving to early, 5:15. Once I got out of town it was dark and the oncoming traffic blinded me and I couldn;t see where i was going. But once day broke, it was just amazing watching the sky get lighter, fog over ponds, watching foxes and squjirrels playing. This was a hilly ride and I hammered it upp the hills. When I got to Cairo, I got lost and had to ask for directions so now I know the layout of Cairo, GA, Jen's home town. i got there and had about 30 minutes to spare so I put bike up, drank and ate a little.

This was a rolling hilly course, the 1st few miles were fun, then my legs started getting tired around mile 4 and 5, by 6 I said I'm not going to make it but I did. I'm waiting on the official results but according to my watch it was a PR and I got 2nd AG.
Let me tell ya'll about southern town runs, they are very laid back and at the finish line, gosh at all the food, Tallahassee never has anything like that, They of course had oranges, grapes and bananas but all the homemade brownies and cookies, they had enough for a thousand folks and none of the store bought crap, all homemade! Gosh I miss that, I'll do the race next year just for that...
Then I rode back to a meeting spot for wife to pick me up. I didn't really want to ride to much on the major highway I rode in on due to traffic. The 1st few miles back on the bike were tough, then they felt good for a few miles and about the last 5, I was hurting, I couldn't drink enough. Today my lower back is achy due to riding in the drops 90% of the time but my legs feel GREAT!!!

Sorry to bore ya'll so much! To your relief, I will be out of town this week so ya'll be careful and train hard, I'll bore ya'll when I get back...lol

Oh yea, wife got 3rd in here 10K race.

Karl congrats to you and Pam for both placing in your 10K races and you also getting that PR. That is pretty awesome, what's even more impressive is you did it after riding 30 miles to the event. That's a great bike/run workout. Pretty cool that you were able to enjoy the early morning peace and tranquility on the ride and take in the scenery as well. I rode a route yesterday I hadn't done before and it was great, very scenic and peaceful. Some roads little to no traffic. I try and take it all in and enjoy it when I ride in places like that.
2013-05-19 8:04 AM
in reply to: JonnyVero

User image

Master
Fort Wayne

Here's my race report from Pokagon yesterday.  I am satisfied with my performance for sure.  I was a little disappointed that I wasn't able to hold my position from last season.  The reality is, had I not slipped another solid PR out there and simply held the same time as last season's race I would have finished 2 more places down and finished 5th overall.

BTW, I misstated my time yesterday.  I went 2:11:32 NOT 2:10:32.  I finished 1:27 behind the second place finisher.  This was the first race I have used an aero helmet on and I would imagine that made a lot of the difference in my bike time.  Of course I hope I had a few gains on the fitness front in the past year since I completed this same race but I'll give the credit to the helmet.

With that in mind I am wondering just how much faster I could be with some race wheels and a carbon bike??  Maybe some day I'll find out.  I could even get some real racing tires too.  Right now I am riding Conti Grand Prix 4000s.

Another note:  On a warm day I suggest following a race that you drop the air pressure in your tires.  As I was getting ready to leave yesterday I grabbed my bike and was about to push it to the truck when POP!!!!  I blew a tube!  I was running 115 for race pressure and the tire is good for 120PSI.

2013-05-19 8:08 AM
in reply to: mambos

User image

Master
Fort Wayne
Originally posted by mambos

looks like a Great race, and you better not be disappointed about knocking 4 minutes off your time! I believe a certain someone always says its more about racing yourself and not the others! Of course it always does make it better when you beat your PR AND beat everyone else! Of cOurse I say this and I'm also a little disappointed in my race today, finished with a 21:33 which is about 10s off my PR. But I did manage to get my 1st OA podium, with a 3rd place finish. It was a smaller race, but I don't care, podium is podium. Overall my effort was probably my best in a 5k this year, I went into the pain zone and stayed there the entire race. By mile 2.5 my gut felt like it was just about ready to explode because of the pain. Couldn't get a good breath and was a struggle to get through. Odd thing is my legs never felt fatigued, it was just breathing. I think I need to start working on the core if I went to see the 20:@@. Either way it was a Lot of fun!

Just as Warren said: You never know who's going to show up at a race so take that podium and relish it!!  21:33 is a great time regardless of where your PR stands.  You have to love an overall placement!!

2013-05-19 8:15 AM
in reply to: KWDreamun

User image

Master
Fort Wayne

Originally posted by KWDreamun Trying to catch up a little, Will Fruit Loops...NO!!!!!!!!!! You and Tony have to give that stuff up! Good ride though! Jen, how was the Tough Mudder? Dirk, congrats on the PR. Hey remember like you tell us, it is not how you compare to others but how you compare to yourself. lol Matt and Vero, GREAT jobs on your races. Tony, way to ride Jo, great job on the bike and overcoming the flat! I got up early and rode 30+ miles to a 10K race. It ws a beautiful cool ride. The one mistake I made was leaving to early, 5:15. Once I got out of town it was dark and the oncoming traffic blinded me and I couldn;t see where i was going. But once day broke, it was just amazing watching the sky get lighter, fog over ponds, watching foxes and squjirrels playing. This was a hilly ride and I hammered it upp the hills. When I got to Cairo, I got lost and had to ask for directions so now I know the layout of Cairo, GA, Jen's home town. i got there and had about 30 minutes to spare so I put bike up, drank and ate a little. This was a rolling hilly course, the 1st few miles were fun, then my legs started getting tired around mile 4 and 5, by 6 I said I'm not going to make it but I did. I'm waiting on the official results but according to my watch it was a PR and I got 2nd AG. Let me tell ya'll about southern town runs, they are very laid back and at the finish line, gosh at all the food, Tallahassee never has anything like that, They of course had oranges, grapes and bananas but all the homemade brownies and cookies, they had enough for a thousand folks and none of the store bought crap, all homemade! Gosh I miss that, I'll do the race next year just for that... Then I rode back to a meeting spot for wife to pick me up. I didn't really want to ride to much on the major highway I rode in on due to traffic. The 1st few miles back on the bike were tough, then they felt good for a few miles and about the last 5, I was hurting, I couldn't drink enough. Today my lower back is achy due to riding in the drops 90% of the time but my legs feel GREAT!!! Sorry to bore ya'll so much! To your relief, I will be out of town this week so ya'll be careful and train hard, I'll bore ya'll when I get back...lol Oh yea, wife got 3rd in here 10K race.

That's a solid performance Karl!  A nice ride to warm your legs before the run.  That will give yo a perspective on what running a Oly would feel like.  I would venture to say you would have an Oly race wrapped up pretty easily if you wanted to do one soon.  Just make sure you're ready for the swim.

The after race in Cairo sounds like the best thing!  I amy not have been able to ride home at all if I'd been there with that many homemade cookies!

2013-05-19 9:17 AM

User image

Elite
far northern CA
Wow!  Dirk, Matt, Karl and Pam all had great races!  (I hope I didn't forget anyone!)  Good looking bike training going on out there, too!  I'm going to get on my bike on an hour or so and bang out 3 hours.  Not sure if it's going to be hilly or flat so I won't give any milage estimates.  If my bike decides to turn uphill, then I guess I'll go. Laughing

2013-05-19 9:21 AM

User image

Extreme Veteran
Sidney, Ohio
Tomorrow the laziness for me ends, I start the training plan for my HIM. A good thing too because my training time has really dropped over the last 3 weeks and even though the break from scheduled training was nice, I'm ready to get moving again. I do need some input though, probably just a confirmation actually. I am going to use the intermediate plan from BT and it states it should be used for someone wanting to go under 5hrs. Obviously thats not my goal, but wanted to be challenged through the process. As I reviewed the program it appears to be extremely light on the run, most of the weeks are barely 2 1/2hrs of running and the highest is just over 3 hrs. This seems to be extremely light to be able to have a strong showing in the race. My thought is to add a couple easy runs through out the week to get my running to around 25mpw for the majority of the training plan, then add some additional runs in the last month of the plan. To be able to reach this my run time would be around 4 hours per week. Any thoughts? stick with the plan or add the run?
2013-05-19 9:35 AM
in reply to: mambos

User image

Expert
Mastic Beach, NY
Originally posted by mambos

Tomorrow the laziness for me ends, I start the training plan for my HIM. A good thing too because my training time has really dropped over the last 3 weeks and even though the break from scheduled training was nice, I'm ready to get moving again. I do need some input though, probably just a confirmation actually. I am going to use the intermediate plan from BT and it states it should be used for someone wanting to go under 5hrs. Obviously thats not my goal, but wanted to be challenged through the process. As I reviewed the program it appears to be extremely light on the run, most of the weeks are barely 2 1/2hrs of running and the highest is just over 3 hrs. This seems to be extremely light to be able to have a strong showing in the race. My thought is to add a couple easy runs through out the week to get my running to around 25mpw for the majority of the training plan, then add some additional runs in the last month of the plan. To be able to reach this my run time would be around 4 hours per week. Any thoughts? stick with the plan or add the run?

Matt I always defer to the experts here but I don't think it hurts to add some more run time to the plan if you can do that. I usually use these training plans as a baseline and add or modify them as I see fit. If you have the time to get the extra runs in I'd do it.
2013-05-19 11:42 AM

User image

Bronze member
Karl, sounds like a great ride and race today. I don't know if I could eat brownies and get back on and ride though!

Dirk congrats on your race yesterday! You would be smoking fast with race wheels and all the bells and whistles but the fact that you don't have all of that and still pull off those times is even more impressive.

Well I had my first race of the season this morning. Just a small local race I was using as a tune up to check my fitness. I was not nervous and felt good going in. I warmed up in my wetsuit and it felt better than my swim from earlier last week. My arms still got really heavy though and that wetsuit just changes my stroke so much I really HATE wearing it. Water temp was 67 degrees today. I got out of the water and saw my time was almost 9:00 - terrible for me, the worst ever and complete validation that thes wetsuit DOES NOT help my swim.
Out on the bike things were going really well, I was cruising at 23 or 24 mph and did not feel like I was working to my max. I knew this meant we must have the wind at our back. As I got closer to the turn around I watched to see who was in front of me - I was the first woman to hit the turn around! I thought now it is time to get to work but after the turn around my speeds dropped and I just felt like I could not keep it going. I tried changing gears, spinning faster but nothing was helping. My times kept dropping and my legs were burning!! Next thing I know I hear a pop and pssssshhhhhh. FLAT - not far after the turn around. I had taken off my bike bag with all of my spares and CO2 and left them in the van before the race and I ride 650 wheels so no one passing me had anything to help me out. I just started walking. Finally the RD's son came buy and let me use his phone. His Dad picked me up and took me back to transition. Funny thing, we had to pick up another guy who flatted on the way back in!

So I turned in my chip and just completed the run because I was there. My friend Tiff was also racing today and her husband ran the race with her then turned around and ran with me! I saw him coming and thought - crap, here he comes and he's going to make me work ha ha ha! So my first mile was 10:00 min/mile pace because I was just going to take it easy since my race was over. I had stopped to talk to my family who came out to watch, pet the dog etc. Then here he comes and my next 2 miles were 8:40 min/mile and 8:30 min/mile and he was not satisfied because I wasn't running 7's!

I'm really not too upset about it since I was only using this as a tune up race and the RD waived my fee in trade for volunteering at some of his races later in the year. Now I know I really need to step up the training!

Edited by trigal38 2013-05-19 11:43 AM
2013-05-19 12:12 PM

User image

Veteran
Nova Scotia, Canada
Originally posted by Jo63

So we have a class all day today and then I am meeting with the educator one on one to go over business strategies from 5:30 -6:30 no way to get my 2 hr run in I will have to take today as a rest and run tomorrow followed by my w/o with the trainer I am hoping this is not a bad thing. Seeing as I have another heavy training week.

So.....Big Daddy our educator is from Halifax...he owns the chain of salon called the Head shoppe. Have you heard of them?

I have heard of them. I actually live in Yarmouth which is about 3 hours away on the Southern Tip of the province.
New Thread
BT Development Mentor Program Archives » ASPHALT JUNKIES Summer Bronzing Crew - CLOSED Rss Feed  

of 114