BT Development Mentor Program Archives » ASPHALT JUNKIES Summer Bronzing Crew - CLOSED Rss Feed  
Moderators: alicefoeller Reply

of 114

2013-05-17 9:42 AM
in reply to: #4726455

User image

Master
Fort Wayne
Subject: RE: ASPHALT JUNKIES Summer Bronzing Crew - OPENED

So here is our group right now:

1. Brenda
  2. Dina
  3. Jackie
  4. Jen
  5. Joanne
  6. Tracy
  7. Karl
  8. Matt
  9. Tony
  10. Will
  11. Vero
  12. Derek

This may be a bit of a mistake but I am going to allow one more member to join.  I actually think it will work out well to allow one more member.  There are a large number of return athletes that have a strong balance of training knowledge that we should be alright to pick up one more member.  We will max out at 13 people for this session.............

The next person to join will be the last.

2013-05-17 9:45 AM
in reply to: #4726455

User image

NH

Welcome Derek.  I'm also an ex-hockey player, albeit and American one, and in fact got into this crazy sport rehabbing a hockey injury.

Looks like you've already made some great progress and with a hockey background you'll be hammering the bike in no time.  Good luck this weekend on your half.

Your race schedule looks perfect and we'll help optimize your training to PR along the way.

2013-05-17 12:45 PM
in reply to: BigDaddyD79

User image

Master
Fort Wayne
BigDaddyD79 - 2013-05-17 9:24 AM

Im intrested if there is still room.

Name: Derek

You are in!  And Welcome to a very solid group (however, I may be a little partial). 

Just so you know, many of us have been together for about 2 years so we know a lot about each other.  I hope this does not create some type of disconnect with you.  Feel free to ask any questions you like, at any time.  Remember that there are 4 mentors in the group and we all have varying gifts when it comes to answering the questions you may ask.  Jeff seems to possess a very unique ability to answer just about any question related to training in a very articulate manner.  Warren and Jonathan have a strong balance of knowledge but, my opinion, they have better cycling knowledge than I. 

Tell us a little about your expectations for Sunday's race.  Which one is it?  Time goal, if any?

One thing you will find in the group is a very strong suggestion to run easy, almost all of the time.  Most of the mentors in the group have suffered through injuries related to training foolishness and can relate to what you put yourself through.

Again, welcome!  Now, I need to go replace the brakes on my daughters car.  No training for me today as I take a 1 day taper for tomorrow's Oly.  After my performance last year at this race I have placed a lot of pressure on myself.

2013-05-17 12:47 PM
in reply to: 0

User image

Master
Fort Wayne
Originally posted by BigDaddyD79

Im intrested if there is still room.

Name: Derek

Story: Last June I decided that I needed to make a change in the way I lived my life.  I was 245 lbs.  I had taken up running a few years earlier however I consistantly hit road blocks with injuries to my knees.  Last June I bought a road bike off a friend for $40, a 1990 Specialized Sirus.  I decided that biking would be easier on my knees then running 5-6 times a week.  I had no idea how to train for races and ran 5-6 times a week at race pace.  When I decided that I would do a tri, I began searching the internet and found this site.  It opened up a whole new world of training ideas.  8 weeks later I had lost 20 pounds and complete my first sprint in 1:27:50.  8 weeks earlier I couldn't swim a lap without gasping for breath.

Fast forward 10 months.  Ive lost 40lbs without changing my diet.  Ive gone from a 2:30/100m avg. swimmer, to a 1:45/100m avg. swimmer.  I PR my last 10k of the season in October by over 3 minutes, at 47:26, and I just purchased a new P2. 

FAMILY:  Happily married for 2 years, and the proud father of the baby girl born August 8th.  Shes part of the reason for the change in life style.

THIS YEAR'S RACES: I have my first HM this Sunday. Ive got a sprint lined up in two weeks, and another two weeks after that.  I know alot of racing.  But Im using them as a learing experience more than anything.  Im planning on a Oly in Mid August and another in Mid Sept.

WHAT WILL MAKE ME A GOOD MENTEE:  I have a drive to compete.  I can't exercise for exercise sake.  I need something to drive me forward.  In my early days I played a high level of ice hockey, after I was done with the competition I had nothing to work toward.  Racing has given me a drive to constantly better myself.

Cheers,

heres to the upcoming season, Derek

DP

Edited by DirkP 2013-05-18 4:37 AM
2013-05-17 1:17 PM
in reply to: DirkP

User image

Veteran
Nova Scotia, Canada
Im running the Bluenose Half in Halifax, NS. The city is on the side of a large hill and the course has quite a bit of elevation change. I had origionally been planning a time of 1:42 however I had a bout of ITBS back in Feb. and then a few other nagging injuries. Having learned from my experience in the past. (I trained for this race in 2011 and ended up with a torn medial meniscus in both knees., part of what lead me to tri's as I hoped the biking would be ggod for cross training. Also ended up with orthotics) I stopped the running and went to see a local physio that I bike with. ITBS was cleared up in a few weeks, hamsting issues have been getting better with massage and stretching. Anyway Its been off and on. I was able to build back up to 20k which I did two weeks ago in a time of 1:56 (5:50 pace) with a avg. HR of 145 (mid zone 2)

So I think my plan now is to go out at about a 5:10-5:15/km pace and see how I feel for the first 10k and then see how I feel. Im not going to try and kill myself to set a crazy fast PR. Id be happy with anything under 1:50, But if I don't, no big deal. Theres lots of races in the future to lower it.

The tri training has been great other than the few running injures. Did a 45k TT last week on the bike last week and had an avg pace of 34km/h. about 3km/h faster than last year. I'm also dropping people on my group rides that used to leave me in their dust. Trainerroad base and build planns have really helped.

Swimming is progressing as well. 750m TT time was recently 11:54. I struggled to get 15min at the end of last summer.

Im hopping for a productive summer that leads to even more gains. Planning on my first HIM next spring.

So far everone in the group seems great. I was in another group last session however is seemed there wasn't too much discussion about training/race plans when questions were posted.

Glad to be part of the team!
2013-05-17 2:06 PM

User image

Extreme Veteran
Racine, Wisconsin
Welcome Derek, good luck this weekend........... with the switch over I believe I missed Karl and Jen Good Luck to both of you too.

YES!! I am in for Tri-Indy

2013-05-17 2:08 PM
in reply to: KWDreamun

User image

Extreme Veteran
Racine, Wisconsin
Originally posted by KWDreamun

Jo, which bike length will you be doing?  Enjoy and have fun!

Tomorrow I plan on riding 31 miles to Jen's town to run a 10K so I'll be leaving early on the bike. Today it is VERY foggy out and they are predicting the same weather tomorrow.  3 weeks ago I set a 10K PR but had only ridden 15 miles prior to the race.  Will it happen again?????

Also next week I will be out of town working so for the new folks, tell them I said "hi".

Good luck to everyone racing or training hard this weekend and next week.

I will be doing the 62 miler Looking forward to your new PR!!
2013-05-17 2:10 PM

User image

Expert
Mastic Beach, NY
Derek good luck this weekend with your HM. You'll find that everybody here is very socialable and we have a good balance of triathlon/endurance sports talk as well as the off topic stuff. It really is a great group of people and Dirk isn't being biased in saying that. I've learned a lot being a part of the group for the last year and half and I hope to continue to do so.
2013-05-17 4:17 PM
in reply to: Jo63

User image

Extreme Veteran
Sidney, Ohio
Originally posted by Jo63

Welcome Derek, good luck this weekend........... with the switch over I believe I missed Karl and Jen Good Luck to both of you too.

YES!! I am in for Tri-Indy

Wow, I think half of he group will be in Indy for this race! Going to be good times!
2013-05-17 4:28 PM
in reply to: mambos

User image

Extreme Veteran
Sidney, Ohio
Seems there will be a lot people racing this weekend! Good luck to all of you,

Karl take good notes on how it feels to ride 30miles and the run a 10k, I assume then you will be riding home? That could be a little rough! Gives me ideas for my 10k in June though!

Dirk: we expect nothing short of last years performance!

Brenda we know how slow dirk can be so make sure to leave him some pancakes!

Derek: Have fun with the HM, the ITBS can be rough! I fought it all spring while trying to prepare for my HM and it was frustrating! I felt like I was at a point I could set some major PR's and then BAMM!

Not to be left out of the race weekend, I have signed up for a 5k tomorrow. Going to see if I can set the bar a little higher (or is it lower) for Warren to get by
2013-05-17 4:51 PM

User image

Veteran
Redding, CA

Thanks for the welcome everyone!

Bio recycled and re edited from last spring:

NAME: John, but most of my online friends call me Vero (It’s a gamer name not my real last name)

STORY: During my school years I was the skinny asthmatic kid. I had almost no involvement in sports. In my early 20’s the asthma went away and I started bike riding. I put a couple thousand miles on my brand new Trek 1000 the first year I bought it. I even rode a couple half century events. A host of life events and bad decisions kept me sitting on my butt for most of the next 20 years. In December 2010 on a trip home from visiting my in-laws we (wife, our 2 daughters, and I) were involved in a fairly major car accident. I ended up with torn ligaments in my neck from the whiplash. Since we were doing regular exercises together as part of rehab from the accident we decided it was time to get healthy. In January 2011 my wife and I started a couch to 5k plan together. We eventually picked a 5k race in May and a super sprint tri in September to shoot for. We did both events together at her pace and we are both hooked on doing more, though now we each race at our own pace.

FAMILY STATUS: Married 15 years to my wonderful wife, sometimes training partner, and mother of my 2 amazing daughters (8 and 12). I also have an adult son (21) who lives in the same town as we do.

JOB: I'm an Engineering Technician. I draw plans for highways, roads, bridges, and retaining walls among other things. I drafted some of the plans for the Rio-Salado Tempe Town Lake where the Ironman Arizona swim takes place. Deadlines are sometimes crazy and as they have done this year can change my race and vacation plans unexpectedly.

CURRENT TRAINING: Just starting back up after finishing my first ever half marathon 2 weeks ago. I've been running a few days a week; open water swim once a week, bike is currently sitting unused next to the trainer. I took up Kung Fu last July as a way to cross train and help me stay in shape. Now Kung Fu training has become as much a part of my life as tri training. I attend Kung Fu classes 2 nights a week. I’m working on a new training plan for this year’s races.

LAST YEAR'S RACES: 2012 was my first “Tri season”. I raced in 4 sprint tris last year, lots of 2 to 5.5 mile run races and, with the encouragement of my fellow Junkies, stretched myself and did a 12k race in March of 2012.Completing that 12k helped build a great deal of confidence for some of my early distance goals for 2013.

2013 RACES past:  Several goals already acheived! I have run almost a dozen running races so far this year. Most of the races (4 to 5.5 miles each) on Saturday mornings January through early March as part of a weekly winter points series. I ran a 10 mile race March 2nd as part of that series, set a new PR in a 5k 2 weeks later, and then finished my first ever half marathon at the beginning of May.

2013 RACES Future: I had planned on my first Olympic tri in mid June, but my work schedule and a current rib injury might postpone that for me. Still hopefull, but also tring to be realistic about being prepared. I do plan on 2 sprints on consecutive weekends in September and I’m signed up for a mud/obstacle course 5 mile run in October.

WEIGHT LOSS: I started this journey almost 21/2 years ago at about 202. I was down to about 181 for most of my tri’s this past year, but I’m back up to about 185 now. I’m hoping to get that back down around the 180 mark again through better dedication to training and eating healthy this summer.

WHAT WILL MAKE ME A GOOD MENTEE: I’m very interested in learning from other’s experience on this quest for better endurance and technique in swimming, biking and running. I check these forums frequently (I guess I’m a bit of an information junkie). I am pretty consistent about keeping my logs updated.

2013-05-17 7:50 PM

User image

Master
Fort Wayne

Im running the Bluenose Half in Halifax, NS. The city is on the side of a large hill and the course has quite a bit of elevation change. I had origionally been planning a time of 1:42 however I had a bout of ITBS back in Feb. and then a few other nagging injuries. Having learned from my experience in the past. (I trained for this race in 2011 and ended up with a torn medial meniscus in both knees., part of what lead me to tri's as I hoped the biking would be ggod for cross training. Also ended up with orthotics) I stopped the running and went to see a local physio that I bike with. ITBS was cleared up in a few weeks, hamsting issues have been getting better with massage and stretching. Anyway Its been off and on. I was able to build back up to 20k which I did two weeks ago in a time of 1:56 (5:50 pace) with a avg. HR of 145 (mid zone 2)

So I think my plan now is to go out at about a 5:10-5:15/km pace and see how I feel for the first 10k and then see how I feel. Im not going to try and kill myself to set a crazy fast PR. Id be happy with anything under 1:50, But if I don't, no big deal. Theres lots of races in the future to lower it.

The tri training has been great other than the few running injures. Did a 45k TT last week on the bike last week and had an avg pace of 34km/h. about 3km/h faster than last year. I'm also dropping people on my group rides that used to leave me in their dust. Trainerroad base and build planns have really helped.

Swimming is progressing as well. 750m TT time was recently 11:54. I struggled to get 15min at the end of last summer.

Im hopping for a productive summer that leads to even more gains. Planning on my first HIM next spring.

So far everone in the group seems great. I was in another group last session however is seemed there wasn't too much discussion about training/race plans when questions were posted.

HOLY COW MAN!! You are really out there. I just checked the map for your location and you are almost in Europe. We have a couple east coasties in New Hampshire but that's as close as it's going to get to you. Unless you're a pilot and have your own aircraft I doubt you'd be making it to the Junkie race that seems to be lining up in August in Indianapolis, Indiana. you'll see a lot of discussion about this race with so many of us attending.

It sounds like your training seems to be on track pretty well and you have the right mind set for training, racing and injury recovery time.
2013-05-17 7:56 PM
in reply to: mambos

User image

Extreme Veteran
Racine, Wisconsin
Originally posted by mambos

Seems there will be a lot people racing this weekend! Good luck to all of you,

Karl take good notes on how it feels to ride 30miles and the run a 10k, I assume then you will be riding home? That could be a little rough! Gives me ideas for my 10k in June though!

Dirk: we expect nothing short of last years performance!

Brenda we know how slow dirk can be so make sure to leave him some pancakes!

Derek: Have fun with the HM, the ITBS can be rough! I fought it all spring while trying to prepare for my HM and it was frustrating! I felt like I was at a point I could set some major PR's and then BAMM!

Not to be left out of the race weekend, I have signed up for a 5k tomorrow. Going to see if I can set the bar a little higher (or is it lower) for Warren to get by

Good Luck Matt!
2013-05-17 7:59 PM

User image

Extreme Veteran
Racine, Wisconsin
Is it recommended to ride my road bike tomorrow? I would prefer my tri bike but I am thinking I read somewhere not to use it for group rides....
2013-05-17 8:11 PM

User image

Expert
Mastic Beach, NY
Matt good luck tomorrow in the 5k tomorrow I knew I would forget someone racing. I sense a little friendly competition going on between you are and Warren. Too bad you guys aren't going to go head to head at Tri-Indy.

JoAnne I think it depends sometimes tri bikes are welcome and sometimes they are not. Any way you can find out before the ride?
2013-05-17 8:27 PM
in reply to: strikyr

User image

Extreme Veteran
Racine, Wisconsin
Originally posted by strikyr

Matt good luck tomorrow in the 5k tomorrow I knew I would forget someone racing. I sense a little friendly competition going on between you are and Warren. Too bad you guys aren't going to go head to head at Tri-Indy.

JoAnne I think it depends sometimes tri bikes are welcome and sometimes they are not. Any way you can find out before the ride?

Thanks Tony ! I threw it out there, hopefully I will get a response before tomorrow morning.

2013-05-17 8:31 PM

User image

Veteran
Huntertown, IN
Oh no! Did I miss the boat again? I miss you guys! Good luck to all of you this season.

Allison
2013-05-17 9:04 PM

User image

Elite
far northern CA

Originally posted by DirkP
Originally posted by BigDaddyD79 Im running the Bluenose Half in Halifax, NS. The city is on the side of a large hill and the course has quite a bit of elevation change. I had origionally been planning a time of 1:42 however I had a bout of ITBS back in Feb. and then a few other nagging injuries. Having learned from my experience in the past. (I trained for this race in 2011 and ended up with a torn medial meniscus in both knees., part of what lead me to tri's as I hoped the biking would be ggod for cross training. Also ended up with orthotics) I stopped the running and went to see a local physio that I bike with. ITBS was cleared up in a few weeks, hamsting issues have been getting better with massage and stretching. Anyway Its been off and on. I was able to build back up to 20k which I did two weeks ago in a time of 1:56 (5:50 pace) with a avg. HR of 145 (mid zone 2) So I think my plan now is to go out at about a 5:10-5:15/km pace and see how I feel for the first 10k and then see how I feel. Im not going to try and kill myself to set a crazy fast PR. Id be happy with anything under 1:50, But if I don't, no big deal. Theres lots of races in the future to lower it. The tri training has been great other than the few running injures. Did a 45k TT last week on the bike last week and had an avg pace of 34km/h. about 3km/h faster than last year. I'm also dropping people on my group rides that used to leave me in their dust. Trainerroad base and build planns have really helped. Swimming is progressing as well. 750m TT time was recently 11:54. I struggled to get 15min at the end of last summer. Im hopping for a productive summer that leads to even more gains. Planning on my first HIM next spring. So far everone in the group seems great. I was in another group last session however is seemed there wasn't too much discussion about training/race plans when questions were posted. Glad to be part of the team!
HOLY COW MAN!! You are really out there. I just checked the map for your location and you are almost in Europe. We have a couple east coasties in New Hampshire but that's as close as it's going to get to you. Unless you're a pilot and have your own aircraft I doubt you'd be making it to the Junkie race that seems to be lining up in August in Indianapolis, Indiana. you'll see a lot of discussion about this race with so many of us attending. It sounds like your training seems to be on track pretty well and you have the right mind set for training, racing and injury recovery time.

Yeah.....those of us on the west coast won't be making it to that race, either. Wink

2013-05-17 9:09 PM

User image

Master
Fort Wayne

Originally posted by Jo63 Is it recommended to ride my road bike tomorrow? I would prefer my tri bike but I am thinking I read somewhere not to use it for group rides....

Definitely ride your roadie tomorrow.  It's not good riders etiquette to ride your TT bike with a group.  At least until they know you can ride well.

If you should happen to take your TT bike just stay out of the aerobars when you aren't in the front, pulling.

2013-05-17 9:11 PM
in reply to: abergdol

User image

Master
Fort Wayne

Originally posted by abergdol Oh no! Did I miss the boat again? I miss you guys! Good luck to all of you this season. Allison

Allison you made it!!  It's great to have you back in the group.  And that makes it official........

............We are closed!!!!

Now I have to find out how to change the status of the group.  I don't have the edit button on my screen any longer.

2013-05-17 9:27 PM
in reply to: abergdol

User image

Expert
Mastic Beach, NY
Originally posted by abergdol

Oh no! Did I miss the boat again? I miss you guys! Good luck to all of you this season.

Allison

Allison welcome back we missed you too, glad to see you back here with the rest of the group.

2013-05-17 9:36 PM
in reply to: strikyr

User image

Elite
far northern CA

Originally posted by strikyr
Originally posted by abergdol Oh no! Did I miss the boat again? I miss you guys! Good luck to all of you this season. Allison
Allison welcome back we missed you too, glad to see you back here with the rest of the group.

Hi Allison!  Nice to see you back!

2013-05-17 11:11 PM
in reply to: 0

User image

Extreme Veteran
Tx
I feel like I'm a person that is normally good w/ change. Haven't had time to check it all out yet, but just logging training, I'm not liking the new site so far... frowny face!

I got in a great swim today. 3500 meters non-stop for the main set. Not I just have to get stronger on the bike!

To all those racing, represent! And if tracking is available, make sure and post info so we can follow you live!

Edited by pistuo 2013-05-17 11:13 PM
2013-05-18 3:21 AM
in reply to: pistuo

User image

Expert
Tallahassee
Welcome Allison, Vero and Derek!

Jo, good luck on your ride today.

Just figuring out this site. So far I like a lot of things about it. Well off to go ride and run.

I've got a lot of reading to do to catch up... ya'll be careful today.
2013-05-18 4:02 AM

User image

Veteran
Nova Scotia, Canada
Originally posted by DirkP

HOLY COW MAN!! You are really out there. I just checked the map for your location and you are almost in Europe. We have a couple east coasties in New Hampshire but that's as close as it's going to get to you. Unless you're a pilot and have your own aircraft I doubt you'd be making it to the Junkie race that seems to be lining up in August in Indianapolis, Indiana. you'll see a lot of discussion about this race with so many of us attending.

It sounds like your training seems to be on track pretty well and you have the right mind set for training, racing and injury recovery time.

Lol, ya I live on the southern tip of Nova Scotia. Used to have a ferry that ran to Portland, Maine. It was about a 7 hour ride. But if you think that's far, Google St. John's, Newfoundland, I lived there for 5 years you can't get any farther east. DC Rainmaker's girl is from there, he has a race report from there on his site.

Don't think I be making it to Indy, lol. I am planning on doing the world police and fire games in 2015 in Virginia. Not sure if anyone else falls into that category.
New Thread
BT Development Mentor Program Archives » ASPHALT JUNKIES Summer Bronzing Crew - CLOSED Rss Feed  

of 114