BT Development Mentor Program Archives » T3 beginners welcome sprint and OLY = Closed Rss Feed  
Moderators: alicefoeller Reply

of 11

2013-07-31 12:59 AM
in reply to: Dominion

User image

Veteran
jenks
Subject: RE: T3 beginners welcome sprint and OLY = Closed
nice job. Dominion. looks like you had a good race and just keep improving. Keep up the good work.

2013-07-31 10:29 AM

User image

New user

Ft. Lauderdale
Great Job Chris!!!

Dave - thank you for the information! Going to try the 2nd one on tonight's bike ride.

I've been trying to not push myself too hard. Been having dizzy spells and my heart rate has been way too high during exercise. Been to numerous doctors (which i don't normally do...) and a nutritionist. Started on some new supplements yesterday and hoping i'll be back at it 100% soon.

Did a 10K trail run on Sunday...for the last 3 miles my HR averaged 182. Was a rough run...twisted my ankle (but it's better now, iced it immediately and kept it wrapped and elevated) had bloody blisters and fell twice...but STILL ended up with a time of 1.07.44.

I'll let you know how the bike ride goes.
Rhonda
2013-08-01 9:11 AM
in reply to: 0

User image

Regular
Tulsa, OK
Monthly totals are in. Had a good increase in my swim and run from June to July. Also increased my bike milage 10% with nine less minutes in the saddle. Still focused on 8/18 Sprint. Swim has really started to get better. Three weeks ago 50 yards took me 60-65 seconds. Read a book and worked on my arm stroke. 50 yards now takes me 50-53 seconds.

July's totals
Swim: 5h 55m 30s - 12950 Yd
Bike: 7h 30m 55s - 112.27 Mi
Run: 5h 33m 23s - 32.16 Mi

June's totals
Swim: 4h 21m 03s - 8750 Yd
Bike: 7h 39m 37s - 102.24 Mi
Run: 4h 06m 51s - 22.45 Mi

Edited by gr8hope 2013-08-01 9:13 AM
2013-08-01 10:20 AM
in reply to: gr8hope

User image

Ive been having some BIG problems with ITBS (or my IT bands in both legs, mainly my right). Ive been doing a lot of foam rolling and upping my stretching. Im taking a couple weeks off and focusing solely on swimming. Ive done two OWS and will be hitting a local free clinic held by a local tri group in August.... Does anyone else have problems with their IT band? (for those who arent familiar: http://www.rice.edu/~jenky/sports/itband.v2.html)

Lately I cannot seem to run more than 90 minutes, or about 9-10 miles without it crushing me. I have significantly been upping my mileage by the week, around 50-60 miles on foot. I think Im over doing it but yeah.... This really sucks :|
2013-08-01 10:35 AM
in reply to: Tbjeff

User image

Jeff, I am the poster child for strange biomechanical issues, having had surgery for a torn rotator cuff and a snapped tib/fib. I think the best advice I could possibly give is to ease off. As triathletes we are good at pushing through pain, training when we don't want to, and trying not to worry about aches and soreness, but there are times when our body gives us appreciable feedback that we are overdoing things. Tendons and joints tend to be the two aches and pains I take the most seriously. I think backing off of running (and maybe even riding) for a while is a good idea. I know you were looking forward to upping your mileage, but a short break to let your body heal doesn't mean you won't get to that mileage, it just means you'll do so without injury. And who knows what other biomechanical issues a short break might solve.

I'd also work in some one-legged squats, maybe even some solid weight training in the meantime. I would continue to exercise, just avoid anything that irritates your IT band -- you can be the judge of what those limitations are. I'd say odds are good that the issue will heal itself and you'll be able to attack the S,B, and Ring sooner than you expect.

For a personal anecdote, my ankle is chock full of titanium plates and screws and occasionally gives me grief. I was psyched to do a long run on Saturday and did so, planning on also making a long ride on Sunday with a brick at the end of it. For some reason, the Saturday run really irritated my ankle and I was having trouble putting weight on it. I rode a medium distance on Sunday and didn't run for a few days until my ankle felt better. Now I'm completely back to normal, but there's not a doubt in my mind that if I had pushed things with the ankle, I would have wound up in the orthopedist's office sooner than later.
2013-08-01 10:55 AM
in reply to: tacetman

User image

Originally posted by tacetman

Jeff, I am the poster child for strange biomechanical issues, having had surgery for a torn rotator cuff and a snapped tib/fib. I think the best advice I could possibly give is to ease off. As triathletes we are good at pushing through pain, training when we don't want to, and trying not to worry about aches and soreness, but there are times when our body gives us appreciable feedback that we are overdoing things. Tendons and joints tend to be the two aches and pains I take the most seriously. I think backing off of running (and maybe even riding) for a while is a good idea. I know you were looking forward to upping your mileage, but a short break to let your body heal doesn't mean you won't get to that mileage, it just means you'll do so without injury. And who knows what other biomechanical issues a short break might solve.

I'd also work in some one-legged squats, maybe even some solid weight training in the meantime. I would continue to exercise, just avoid anything that irritates your IT band -- you can be the judge of what those limitations are. I'd say odds are good that the issue will heal itself and you'll be able to attack the S,B, and Ring sooner than you expect.

For a personal anecdote, my ankle is chock full of titanium plates and screws and occasionally gives me grief. I was psyched to do a long run on Saturday and did so, planning on also making a long ride on Sunday with a brick at the end of it. For some reason, the Saturday run really irritated my ankle and I was having trouble putting weight on it. I rode a medium distance on Sunday and didn't run for a few days until my ankle felt better. Now I'm completely back to normal, but there's not a doubt in my mind that if I had pushed things with the ankle, I would have wound up in the orthopedist's office sooner than later.

Damn man, thanks for the quick reply (sorry I havent been posting much, I promise Im reading, just busy with school and work and my wedding in October). Yeah, i hear you. I got an orthogram on my left shoulder about a month and a half ago, thought I had a SLAP tear. Cant remember if I posted here or not but it was negative... Also found out I have a disc slipping out frequently and my sciatica has been killing me lately. WTF? Im only 27 lol.. I guess Im not 16 anymore...Anyhow.. I hear you on trying to push it. Last week I over did it... I hit 60 minutes and started to feel it come on.. I was stupid and pushed it to 90 with the last 15 minutes killing me... Dumb dumb dumb dumb, I know. Its hard for me though. I know I need to be patient. Its hard because I want to succeed so bad and this newfound love for wanting to be a newby triathlete is hard. Its like finding a new hobby that you never knew youd absolutely love. Who knew right? Ill lay off the bike too. That was hurting as well.... Ill start some low impact cardio like the ellyptical, although I dislike it lol. And will be back on the weights (nothing hard on the back though).

hope all is well with everyone

On a side note: If any of you have facebook Id like to follow ya and keep up with ya. I use that more (and too much, Im guilty). I think my profile is private but my name is Jeff Henry with a 3 part pic of me doing a gainer off a diving board lol.. Anyway, hit me up!

2013-08-01 8:37 PM

User image

New user

Virginia USA
I took the entire month off from running due to my heel injury and hope to be able to start it again soon. My fear is that I have really jacked it up and might not be able to run a long period of time as it still hurts often. Lots of stretching and Motrin was the prescription.

My total's aren't the best on the site but I noticed some marked improvement in my bike and swim time/distance ratio. My breathing is still ragged on the swim, but I have been focusing on trying to "stretch" myself while swimming and concentrate on long, smooth lines along with stroke count in the 25M pool. The bike time is still very close to June's totals in terms of distance vs time...but I put in almost 2 additional hours on the bike this month.

July's totals
Swim: 1h 51m 29s - 2695.1 Yd
Bike: 6h 52m 49s - 102.61 Mi
Strength: 1h 25m

June's totals
Swim: 1h 52m - 2076.38 Yd
Bike: 5h 07m 44s - 72.1 Mi
Run: 3h 07m 37s - 18.37 M
2013-08-02 7:22 PM
in reply to: mheard

User image

Veteran
Deep South, Georgia
July Totals:

S: 5812 Yds
B: 148 miles
R: 57 miles
2013-08-02 11:44 PM
in reply to: mheard

User image

Veteran
jenks
totals.
Swim: 4h 36m 56s - 13643.61 Yd
Bike: 12h 57m 09s - 248.91 Mi
Run: 6h 33m 33s - 59.32 Mi

this was a great month and I hope to build a bit more in Aug for sept race.

mheard, I like the way you are compairing your total month riding distance versus time. It is much more accurrate than compairing single rides. Keep up the good work.
2013-08-02 11:48 PM

User image

Veteran
jenks
jeff I have had some IT band issues at times. It has never been very to bad with me. I also follow mobilitywod.com and he has some stretches on there that might help. you can type in IT band on his sight and see what pops up.

2013-08-03 3:10 PM
in reply to: handyhammer

User image

Originally posted by handyhammer

jeff I have had some IT band issues at times. It has never been very to bad with me. I also follow mobilitywod.com and he has some stretches on there that might help. you can type in IT band on his sight and see what pops up.

Roger. Ill check it out really quick before I head into work. Im taking a couple weeks off and swimming/weights for now. Also purchased some KT tape and a IT strap off Amazon... Sounds like I just need to stretch like a mofo. Hope all is well with everyone

Jeff

2013-08-04 7:59 AM

User image

Veteran
Deep South, Georgia

totals.
Swim: 4h 36m 56s - 13643.61 Yd
Bike: 12h 57m 09s - 248.91 Mi
Run: 6h 33m 33s - 59.32 Mi

Nice job Dave, those are solid numbers all the way around! Especially nice swim month.

----

I was wondering if you could talk about your T3 Club a little bit. Are you just a member or did you help get it started, etc.?
I'm thinking about trying to get a small club/group started in my area. Right now it is just me and two guys that I train with occasionally.
My brother who races in FL is also interested but he would not be local.
Do you guys do weekly group training activities like a Saturday run or a Sunday Long Ride, Monday night swim etc.? I'm basically just asking about the level of organization within the group. Do your members buy their own team kits or do they pay some kind of dues and the team provides the kit?
At this point my friends and I train together but nothing organized and are considering Team kits and T-shirts, to start wearing to races and try to build a brand so to speak on the local level. So I don't know how or if this will ever get off the ground but any insight would be appreciated.

Thanks.

2013-08-04 11:42 AM

User image

Veteran
Deep South, Georgia
Anybody else in a tri-club or group and would like to share anything?
2013-08-05 1:02 AM
in reply to: #4728445

User image

Hi
Anyone ever injure their deltoid in a fall?
Any advice?
It says online to take 2 weeks off !!!
I think it's grade 2
I pretty much know swimming is out, all those actions hurt
Running and cycling are out too, all the arm movement hurt
Help!!
2013-08-05 1:21 PM

User image

Been a busy summer! Haven't had time to stay up with BT like I'd like. Dominion, Great job on your last tri! My July totals aren't what I'd like but they're what I could pull. I had some times when I could have fit in a run but my ankles got pretty torn up on the Colorado Tough Mudder along with a couple other rough runs, so I felt it wise to rest them, I finally was able to run last Tuesday on a cushioned track pretty much pain free, Yay!!! I think my August numbers should be better, I need to build some more before the Redman 70.3 next month, I'm expecting better times for it than the KS 70.3 & the Des Moines tri vs the Omaha tri. Swim 3:46 - 9743, Bike 12 - 216 miles, Run 6:05 - 43.44. Good training & racing to you all! Tim
2013-08-05 6:30 PM
in reply to: BigAirT

User image

Veteran
Deep South, Georgia
Thanks Tim!
Those July numbers look pretty solid to me!
Also, sorry to hear about the ankles. I haven't done a mudder but the injury thing is something I keep hearing about from people who have.
I'll stick to triathlon, at least I can see where I am planting my feet.

2013-08-06 3:24 PM

User image

Originally posted by Dominion

Anybody else in a tri-club or group and would like to share anything?

I am interested in this as well. I seriously need to find a training group. I am volunteering at the IMAZ in November so I hope to meet some people locally... Off topic: Im thinking about picking up the forerunner 310XT.. I cant remember if I asked anyone before, but has anyone had any experience with it? Im excited to say the least... Now I can REALLY keep track of my outdoor training
2013-08-07 11:54 PM

User image

Veteran
jenks
well that is a good question on T3.

T3 started with 4 of us that were friends and trained some together, I headed up the group to see what we could do. Two basic reasons started the group. First being we did not want to pay the expensive rates to join our local group that is not very friendly unless you are in their in crowd and run tri's for a while. At the time I was new. Second there is buying power in numbers. I went to the local bike shop and talked to the manager, to see if he would be interested in helping a local team out. They gave us a 20% discount, and do race tune ups for our bikes before events. We wear their logo on our team kits and refer them heavily. To date they have tracked 16 bikes have been sold by referances from our team. That makes an impact that they appreciate.

T3 goal is to be good ambassadors to the sport, helping new guys with info or training tips, giving tubes or changing tires. We are structured more like an accountability group than a true team. I know I will have a message from Isaac that he has already hit the streets for his run and I am better get my butt out of bed and get my workout in.

Team workouts. We have a team swim on Wednesday night at our YMCA followed by a track session. this gets anywhere from 2 to 7 people together in the pool. Also we try to do girls and guy rides on the weekend. girls take off in the morning and guys watch the kid clan, when they return we switch. some times this is just one couple babysitting for another. We do some open water swims that we post up on the local sites to let other new triathletes come swim in a group in open water. If you make it out you will get in a swim and might pull a turn in the kayak to keep an eye on the swimmers and boats.

It is a lot of fun, but know if you start it up it takes a lot of time. our team has expanded to 11 people, and it takes me a lot of time to keep track of just what events people are going to and sharing info. Just doing a small team of a few friends would be a great thing too. If you have to order custom kits most companys will do an order if you order 6 pieces.

We went with Canari one pieces this year and it has been our best kit. I hope that helps out a bit.

On another note I have been a bit busy. I was selected for a hiring interview for the fire dept. I have had to retake tests and get through the PT tests with a final interview in 2 weeks. there are 85 of us left from the original 615. I had to get all this done before my vacation which I leave for in the morning. Keep training and be safe.
2013-08-07 11:57 PM
in reply to: Clouddog

User image

Veteran
jenks
Your biggest friend is stretching and rest. This injury can pass quickly if you listen to the previous statement. Over doing a shoulder issue can lead to a scrapped season or long term issues.

Take it easy and build back to your training slowly.
2013-08-07 11:58 PM

User image

Veteran
jenks
Tim,

Those numbers look really good for the month. I cant wait to see what you do at redman. do you have any goals set?
2013-08-08 3:21 AM

User image

well that is a good question on T3.

T3 started with 4 of us that were friends and trained some together, I headed up the group to see what we could do. Two basic reasons started the group. First being we did not want to pay the expensive rates to join our local group that is not very friendly unless you are in their in crowd and run tri's for a while. At the time I was new. Second there is buying power in numbers. I went to the local bike shop and talked to the manager, to see if he would be interested in helping a local team out. They gave us a 20% discount, and do race tune ups for our bikes before events. We wear their logo on our team kits and refer them heavily. To date they have tracked 16 bikes have been sold by referances from our team. That makes an impact that they appreciate.

T3 goal is to be good ambassadors to the sport, helping new guys with info or training tips, giving tubes or changing tires. We are structured more like an accountability group than a true team. I know I will have a message from Isaac that he has already hit the streets for his run and I am better get my butt out of bed and get my workout in.

Team workouts. We have a team swim on Wednesday night at our YMCA followed by a track session. this gets anywhere from 2 to 7 people together in the pool. Also we try to do girls and guy rides on the weekend. girls take off in the morning and guys watch the kid clan, when they return we switch. some times this is just one couple babysitting for another. We do some open water swims that we post up on the local sites to let other new triathletes come swim in a group in open water. If you make it out you will get in a swim and might pull a turn in the kayak to keep an eye on the swimmers and boats.

It is a lot of fun, but know if you start it up it takes a lot of time. our team has expanded to 11 people, and it takes me a lot of time to keep track of just what events people are going to and sharing info. Just doing a small team of a few friends would be a great thing too. If you have to order custom kits most companys will do an order if you order 6 pieces.

We went with Canari one pieces this year and it has been our best kit. I hope that helps out a bit.

On another note I have been a bit busy. I was selected for a hiring interview for the fire dept. I have had to retake tests and get through the PT tests with a final interview in 2 weeks. there are 85 of us left from the original 615. I had to get all this done before my vacation which I leave for in the morning. Keep training and be safe.

I really want to find some people to train with locally... Theres tons of groups around here and I went to a free OWS swim clinic. A lot of the people if not all were definitely "tight" and were kinda clicky, it was cute but not my style. Ill keep lookin around..

Good luck brother, thats great news. Pretty cool how a few of us here work in EMS/Fire/ER. So Ive figured out my It/knee problems... Ever since Ive significantly been increasing run mileage Ive become lazy in form and have been heel striking fairly heavy. I did 6 miles today, no IT pain, no runners knee problems. I almost feel stupid. Im also going back to my New Balance Minimus shoes. Old and ratty but tried and tested. Hope all is well with everyone.

2013-08-09 2:00 PM

User image

Regular
Tulsa, OK
Dave, good luck on the fire department selection.
2013-08-10 11:42 AM

User image

Veteran
Deep South, Georgia
Thanks for the club info, Dave. That really does help a lot. It seems like we are where you guys started out..just a few guys working out together.
I'm gonna try to pull something together.
Also good luck again on your FD testing and interviews. You say you made the final 85 out of 615 applicants, but how many are they hiring?
You're in a much bigger pool than what I am used to. Around here it is more like 30 or 40 applicants for 3 spots. So much smaller pool but still a tight ratio of only about 10% getting in. Anyway, Good Luck, I'm sure you will have no problem with the PT tests.
2013-08-10 5:23 PM

User image

Veteran
jenks
Well I was the smallest guy there for the PT test and had one of the fastest times. that part went really well. final interview is set for the 19th, I will let you know how that goes. They are taking 12-15.

Back to training. YOu dont have to be a big group. 4 or 5 guys would be great. I will probably cap our group where it is now or I will not be able to keep up with the work it takes.

on vacation I went for an ocean swim, and got my but handed to me. 75 yds through the waves and I was exhausted. finished out roughly a 350ish to 400 and litterally drug myself pack to the hotel to sleep. I do not know how they do 1.2 mile ocean swims.
2013-08-11 9:57 PM

User image

Dominion, I joined the Team Nebraska Triathlon club last month, they do weekly ows & rides after on Saturday mornings as well as a weekly track night (haven't made the track yet), it has been nice having the ows & some different riding routes. It was very reasonable to join at $35.00 for the year & that covers the insurance & I understand a couple picnics, I have met some nice people & done some extra rides with members. Dave, good luck on the job!!! Still working on my goals for the Redman, as of now I'm thinking about a 5:40 but hoping for a 5:30. Oh yea another goal is to be able to see you somewhere way off in the distance ahead of me. I've been working on cleaning up my swim technique, I think it might be starting to pay off, I did a mile ows Saturday & was 3 min faster but the exciting part is the last 2 swims my gps said that I had covered 1.9 & 2.0 miles but this week it said I went 1.25 miles, so I think I at least gained some "bite" with my strokes. Followed up the swim with a 60.5 mile ride with about 3000' of climb, felt pretty good. I've had to clean up my riding as I had gotten sloppy & was relying too heavily on my quads & not enough on my glutes & hammys. I have the Des Moines Hy Vee Oly coming up Labor Day weekend, I'm shooting for about a 2:40 (I went 3:00 at the Omaha race & was not up for it at all) hoping to shave 3 off the swim & t-1, 9 from bike & t-2 & 8 from the run, considering how flat I was, the 2 flat tires I finished on and understanding the course to be faster I think I can do it. Good training & racing to all!!! Tim
New Thread
BT Development Mentor Program Archives » T3 beginners welcome sprint and OLY = Closed Rss Feed  

of 11