BT Development Mentor Program Archives » T3 beginners welcome sprint and OLY = Closed Rss Feed  
Moderators: alicefoeller Reply

of 11

2013-08-14 7:52 PM
in reply to: handyhammer

User image

Veteran
Deep South, Georgia
Subject: RE: T3 beginners welcome sprint and OLY = Closed
This thread hasn't been bumped in a while, so I'll throw out some news.

Just ordered my new Specialized Shiv Comp-Rival. I was planning to ride out this season on my Raleigh road bike, but found a nice year end closeout deal and decided to go ahead and pull the trigger. Got the black with blue accents for $2599. I pick it up next Friday.

2013-08-14 9:37 PM
in reply to: Dominion

User image

Veteran
jenks
that should be a great bike for you. I hope you like it.

well when are races for people we should be getting close to some now. also post up if you have any goals for the race.
2013-08-15 5:18 PM

User image

Chris -- SWEET bike. Let me know how you like it. I am a huge Shiv fan.

Sorry to be relatively absent lately. My free time is being almost completely eaten up by trying to get everything going on with my work/career back in order (or just generally stop the bleeding) as well as finish buying my first house. My wife is still on deployment until Fall which is definitely complicating things. That plus 100-degree heat in the Central Valley of CA means my training time is pretty limited.

On the plus side, I'm proud to announce I did a good job restoring my old road bike for use as a trainer (and for my wife to ride). I got a great deal on a couple of CycleOps trainers (Wind and a Fluid2) so I'm going to set up an awesome PainCave in my new house.

Dealing with a little bit of an issue as long runs are leading to soreness on the inside of my right ankle. I snapped my tib and fib in that ankle about 18 months ago and had it surgically replaced (still have 12 pins and 2 plates) and I'm hoping it's just a coincidence or at least something relatively benign. Plan of attack is to reduce mileage for the time being and slowly build back up. It's usually only when I do 7+ mile runs so I'm going to limit myself to 5 miles per workout for the next couple weeks, then see what happens.
2013-08-16 11:30 AM
in reply to: tacetman

User image

Veteran
Deep South, Georgia
Thanks Dave and Tacetman. I'm pretty pumped about it. Specialized has been a brand I've wanted to ride for awhile.
I already have some new 105 pedals to put on it, now I just need to order a new computer. I'll get some pics up after I take delivery.
2013-08-16 11:33 AM

User image

What kind of computer are you looking at? If you want my 2 cents, check out Garmin's Forerunner line of watches. I have a 910XT and I love it. Throw a $35 wireless ANT+ sensor on the bike and you have cadence and wheel speed information as well as HR, GPS speed/distance, and a bevy of other helpful features. Not to mention it's pretty fun to run with. If you don't care about swim metrics, the 310XT is much cheaper.
2013-08-16 11:59 AM

User image

Veteran
Deep South, Georgia
Just something basic for now. Remember I still have to be able to afford race wheels for this thing

2013-08-18 10:43 PM

User image

Veteran
jenks
taceman, that sounds like a good plan. if the pain increases take some recovery time. better to miss a few runs and heal that miss a large block from injury that you pushed to hard. I hope it resolves quickly.

Dominion, I have always just had a very basic computer. just want to see my speed and distance. Cant wait to see the pics.

Well I had a new experience on a race today. You might read the race report it get interesting during the bike section. I crashed and did not get a scratch. the bike did but it will buff out. Shoulder is a bit sore but just stretching it is helping. Overall I had a great race, just not quite as planned.

http://beginnertriathlete.com/RaceLog/races-edit.asp?raceid=253332
2013-08-19 3:00 PM

User image

Dave - sounds like a good race. Glad you were OK after the crash!! Wish someone had gotten a video of you sommersaulting.

All - got up at 5 this Saturday to go out on a long ride and it was pretty damn fun. My usual morning routine (on weekends) is to get up pretty early, have an apple with some peanut butter and then head out, come back and eat a ginormous breakfast burrito. I don't have enough time during the weeks to do a lot of volume (which is frustrating) so I really cherish my weekend mornings. Anyway. I left my house RIGHT at the break of dawn with my bike freshly cleaned and lubed, rocking my brand new tri-top. Set out to ride 30 miles on a loop between a few towns near mine. Last time I rode the loop I got a double flat and had to walk a couple miles home. This time went awesome. I actually forgot a turn towards the end wound up riding an extra 5 miles getting back on course so I logged 35 miles -- longest ride this season. Only complaint was my chamois butt'r didn't hold out as long as my legs so my undercarriage was complaining.

Finished it with a humongous coffee and a breakfast burrito.

=D
2013-08-19 6:18 PM

User image

Veteran
Deep South, Georgia
I can't find your report. When I click on the link it keeps taking me to the login page, even though I am already logged in. When i log in again it is just at the BT Home page.
2013-08-19 6:21 PM

User image

Veteran
jenks
taceman - that sounds like a good ride. if you are getting really raw on the ride you might check to make sure your saddle is level. sometimes that causes extra rubbing. or more butter.
2013-08-22 3:02 PM

User image

Veteran
jenks
dominion see if you click on my races if you can access it that way. i did a tuck and roll into t2.

2013-08-22 6:04 PM

User image

Veteran
Deep South, Georgia
Ok, I got it now.
Great race! A crash and still managed AG podium and 12th overall out of 235! Stud!
2013-08-28 8:30 AM

User image

Veteran
jenks
just wanted to check in and see how things are going. I know if you have kids they are starting back to school and it makes training tough.

Keep up the good work.
2013-08-29 2:44 PM

User image

Veteran
jenks
two great workouts.

Swim, If going for oly distance or longer do as listed. if you are doing sprints cut in half.

400 WU easy swim.
15 x 200 1st 50 easy 50 build pace 50 easy 50 sprint. 20 second recovery between.
200 CD.

Bike run. workout.

I used my trainer. set a gear that is a difficult push for 40 minutes.

bike 40 minutes.
run 20 minutes at race pace.
bike 40 minutes trying to beat your first bike by 5% or more.
Watch out when you get off. if you get the 5% walking becomes difficult.

2013-08-29 3:16 PM

User image

Veteran
Deep South, Georgia
Nice, I'm always looking for ways to mix up a swim workout.
2013-08-29 5:17 PM

User image

Veteran
Deep South, Georgia
Here is the new Shiv. I can already tell I need to lower the bars a notch, that will be my project for Saturday. Also need to trim the hydration tube down a little.
First ride, 10 miles in...flat rear tire. 1500 miles on my road bike without an incident and I flat 10 miles in on the Shiv! Hope its just a fluke and not a sign of things to come.

(Shiv2.JPG)

Attachments
----------------
Shiv2.JPG (150KB - 16 downloads)

2013-09-01 11:42 PM

User image

Veteran
jenks
love the new ride. it just looks fast.

How were the totals for the month of Aug. I know some sept races are coming up? What would help you for upcoming races?

Aug. totals.
Swim: 4h 22m 50s - 12870 Yd
Bike: 13h 44m 36s - 245.8 Mi
Run: 5h 14m 58s - 41.4 Mi
Strength: 1h 30m

2013-09-02 11:00 AM

User image

Veteran
Deep South, Georgia
August Totals:

S: 7314 yards
B: 139 miles
R: 66 miles

This month was a solid running month for me. Swim was Ok, considering my pool closed and I missed a week it wasn't bad. Bike is low again, I need to break down and get a trainer!
2013-09-02 11:19 AM

User image

Veteran
jenks
Not bad totals for a pool gone for a week. Keep it up, when are you racing next.
2013-09-02 11:27 AM

User image

Veteran
Deep South, Georgia
I'm racing this coming weekend. I have my double. Olympic on Saturday and Sprint on Sunday.
2013-09-03 7:16 AM
in reply to: 0

User image

Nice bike Dominion! Good luck next weekend! August totals, swim 5:30, 14,659 meters, bike 19:18, 366.7 miles, run 4:32, 36.2 miles. Did the Hy Vee Des Moines Oly on Sunday, finished 2:46:02 which was 208th out of 829 & 30th out of 95 in my AG, for the first time my swim was just enough for top 1/2, bike was ok, top 1/3 o/a & AG & my run I was 20th in my AG. I'm pretty pleased by my results, I could have probably gone faster on the bike, I gave what I had for the run. RR is up. Looking forward to the Redman 70.3 in 3 weeks!!! Good training & racing all! Tim

Edited by BigAirT 2013-09-03 7:17 AM

2013-09-03 11:56 AM
in reply to: BigAirT

User image

New user

Virginia USA
Nice looking bike. Hopefully the flat was just a fluke...or maybe you were due a flat since you hadn't had one in such a long time.
2013-09-03 4:32 PM
in reply to: 0

User image

Veteran
Deep South, Georgia
I hope that's all it was. I don't have enough miles on it yet to be confident of that. Only put 2 relatively short rides on it since the flat with no problems. Next ride is racing this weekend. So hopefully I got my flat out of the way for another year.

Edited by Dominion 2013-09-03 4:34 PM
2013-09-04 12:33 PM

User image

Originally posted by Dominion

I hope that's all it was. I don't have enough miles on it yet to be confident of that. Only put 2 relatively short rides on it since the flat with no problems. Next ride is racing this weekend. So hopefully I got my flat out of the way for another year.

Chris -- holy crap. Beautiful bike. I had some problems with my TT bike when I bought it and it was mostly a result of pinch flats. Let's hope it was a one-off, but if the problem recurs consider investing in some higher PSI tires. You wouldn't need to pump them up to max PSI and that way they can maybe handle the pressure spike of a pinch/bump. The roads I ride are really bumpy so I think the "buffer" I've created for myself has helped tremendously.

I'm still struggling finding time to train. I'm stressed in 3 different modalities: my wife and I just bought a house, so dealing with the paperwork and moving // my wife is currently on deployment // my own career hit a major speed bump and I'm sorting it as I also work 60-hour weeks.

On the plus side, I've realized that since I get up at 5:30am for work during the week, it's pretty easy to wake up early on weekends and get some LONG training in before it gets too hot out. Been logging a couple hours on the trainer during the week and then ~35 mile rides on Saturdays and ~6mi runs on Sundays. Considering finding a trainer to give me some help working effective training into my schedule as I'd really like to start competing for a podium spot by next season.
2013-09-04 12:34 PM
in reply to: BigAirT

User image

Veteran
jenks
not a bad race. sounds like it helped you work out some kinks for the next one. Your individual events looked strong.

Dominion. good luck this weekend
New Thread
BT Development Mentor Program Archives » T3 beginners welcome sprint and OLY = Closed Rss Feed  

of 11