General Discussion Triathlon Talk » Recommended road bike upgrades for "cheap" bike Rss Feed  
Moderators: k9car363, alicefoeller Reply

of 2

2013-05-21 7:07 PM

User image

Subject: Recommended road bike upgrades for "cheap" bike

Hello all.  I decided in the last couple weeks to try a tri or 2 this summer.  My bike was a $50 Target brand Magna MTB which I sold for $35 at a garage sale (not bad depreciation for 6yrs!).  I have no one to borrow a bike from.  Not knowing if I was going to like this endeavor, I did not want to spend even the minimum $600 on a new road bike nor $300-400 on a used one since I don't have enough knowledge to know what I would be purchasing.  Because of this I purchased a "cheap" bike on Amazon for $345.  Below is a picture and a link.  It is currently at the LBS right now getting put together.  I plan to leave it stock for some time (again, trying to pinch the pennies).  My main question is: what components would I look to upgrade if I decide to spend a couple dollars?  I'm assuming pedals, but not knowing if I want to do this longer term, is it possible to upgrade them at all without getting into also purchasing biking shoes?  Also, if I decided on some aero bars, would cheap (again) ones be adequate for this bike and a beginner?

I realize I sound like a super cheap bastard, but I don't want to spend money on what can be a very expensive hobby if I haven't even really tried it yet.  Should I enjoy it and want to move forward, I do have to funds to do it "right".  Thank you all for your help.

Duane

http://www.amazon.com/Giordano-Libero-White-Bike-700c-25-Inch/dp/B004Q3U5XO/ref=sr_1_1?ie=UTF8&qid=1369180058&sr=8-1&keywords=giordano+libero+1.6

(Giordano Libero.JPG)

Attachments
----------------
Giordano Libero.JPG (64KB - 11 downloads)

2013-05-21 7:46 PM
in reply to: dbrook1

User image

Veteran
Houston, TX
Subject: RE: Recommended road bike upgrades for "cheap" bike
How much does it cost for the LBS to put it together? After that fee you probably could have gotten a used bike from a LBS. You would need bike shoes to have clipless pedal, so you would be looking at $250 for both.. However, you can get toe clips for a few dollars. They will help performance, but they have their disadvantages over clipless pedals.

You probably can upgrade tires at some point. The product description is a no name brand
2013-05-21 8:01 PM
in reply to: chris00nj

User image

Thanks for your quick reply!  The LBS is charging $50 to put it together.  I checked 4 LBSs (2 major, 2 local) and no one had anything used for less than $450 and they were all fairly old, steel road bikes.  I completely get that mine is a cheapo, but if I don't like triathlons I'm OK swallowing the amount I will have spent.  If I do like it, I plan on upgrading next year.  Thanks again.

Duane

2013-05-21 8:09 PM

User image

Phoenix AZ
none.

that bike isn't worth upgrading.

especially if you are pinching pennies and aren't sure whether you want to do this long term. you might pick up some toe clips, but flat pedals are fine for beginners. really no need for aero bars either. just go to the drops.
2013-05-21 8:11 PM
in reply to: Bunsbert Montcroff

User image

Champion
MA
Originally posted by Bunsbert Montcroff

none.

especially if you are pinching pennies and aren't sure whether you want to do this long term. you might pick up some toe clips, but flat pedals are fine for beginners. really no need for aero bars either. just go to the drops.

2x

Just ride it and enjoy it.

Don't spend money in that bike. If you like tris and want to ride a better buy save your money towards a better bike.
2013-05-21 8:16 PM
in reply to: KathyG

Anything that you decide to upgrade, be sure its transferrable to another bike. Personally, I think shoes/pedals are a no brainer. Get some used stuff on eBay just to see if you like it. I'm still rocking $20 used TR31s that I bought off eBay a year ago. I was in the same boat, wanted a minimal investment before I knew I was going to stick with it. Got a ten year old Trek Equinox off craigslist for $300, couple of tiny upgrades (tires, cages, little nonsense), and now I've got a decent little bike. I've got a lot more work to do on my engine before I need to upgrade the bike.

2013-05-21 8:52 PM
in reply to: Bunsbert Montcroff

User image

Regular
Raleigh
Originally posted by Bunsbert Montcroff

none.

X3

I went with a cheap road bike when I started. I upgraded bought a new seat post and aero bars on mine. Then decided I was hooked and wished I had just saved my money to use on my first tri bike.

Use it as is. No need to upgrade.
2013-05-21 8:57 PM

User image

Regular
Raleigh
...also I should mention that's a slick looking road bike you've picked up.

Keep it looking clean, don't overload it with crap as we triathletes are prone to doing. But I suppose that's another thread altogether.
2013-05-21 9:22 PM
in reply to: herkimer81

User image

Thanks everyone.  I see the wisdom in not putting money into it.  I think I'll follow the general consensus and save that money for a "real" bike if I continue on.  More questions will surely come.  Thanks again.

Duane

2013-05-21 9:23 PM
in reply to: herkimer81

User image

Thanks everyone.  I see the wisdom in not putting money into it.  I think I'll follow the general consensus and save that money for a "real" bike if I continue on.  More questions will surely come.  Thanks again.

Duane

2013-05-21 9:33 PM

User image

Veteran
Roll Tide!!

I am certainly NOT an expert,

BUT I think if you invest in bike shoes and clip-less pedals you will enjoy biking in general and triathlon much more AND I think most pedals can be transferred to your new bike if you decide to upgrade later.

Hopefully someone will chime in and correct me if I am wrong.

2013-05-21 9:36 PM

User image

Regular
Raleigh
Originally posted by dbrook1

Duane

Be proud of your steed, it shall take you to majestic places
2013-05-22 8:19 AM
in reply to: Meljoypip

User image

Veteran
Knoxville, TN
Originally posted by Meljoypip

BUT I think if you invest in bike shoes and clip-less pedals you will enjoy biking in general and triathlon much more AND I think most pedals can be transferred to your new bike if you decide to upgrade later.

That bike is fine for a beginner and I agree with the above comment. You are likely to enjoy biking (and triathlon) more if you are using clipless pedals. You can buy brand new Shimano R540's for about $40 and find you some used shoes on ebay or CL. Should be able to get clipped in for around $75. I don't consider that an "upgrade" to that particular bike because they will be completely transferrable to any other bike you decide to purchase later.
2013-05-22 9:37 AM
in reply to: tenninstr

New user
My first bike is very similar in price point and components. I put pedals, a cheap computer, and aero bars on it and left it at that. I did by it used so I put some money in a tune up and tires though. I road it like this for a few years before I got a tri bike, but I kept it for regular road biking. It has never failed me, I'm sure yours won't either as long as you take care of it.

P.S. don't worry about being a cheap bastard. My first two years I did six tris and my total equipment list (bike+add ons, trishorts, goggles, two pairs of shoes) was less than $500.00. I'm sure I wasn't as cool as the big spenders but I didn't notice, I was just having fun.
2013-05-22 10:05 AM

User image

Extreme Veteran
Connecticut
Don't agree. If you like riding, you like riding. Upgrades can be seen as either the pursuit of speed or comfort, but the enjoyment factor doesn't necessarily have anything to do with speed (obviously it CAN, but they aren't pari passu), and I wouldn't say clipless pedals make things significantly more comfortable.

Cycling and triathlon can appear like a giant money pit to beginners, I try to make a point to remind people it's about swimming, biking and running, not gear. A few years ago at a very competitive local sprint a woman tried it for the first time with no wetsuit and a cheap road bike, but an engine built from her youth in swimming and running competitively. She came in second overall female and won her age group. Same year on a lark she entered a HIM while on vacation and did well enough for an invite to Clearwater. She fell in love with the sport, upgraded her gear, came back the next year and won top overall female and FIFTH PLACE OVERALL in that original sprint. She's a monster athlete, of course, but the anecdote is apt. Love for this has very little to do with gear. Well, I guess for some that's not true, but whatever.
in reply to: 0

User image

Extreme Veteran
Connecticut
sorry, double post

Edited by fisherman76 2013-05-22 10:06 AM

User image

Extreme Veteran
Connecticut
sorry, double post

User image

Extreme Veteran
Connecticut
sorry, double post

User image

Extreme Veteran
Connecticut
sorry, double post

Edited by fisherman76 2013-05-22 10:07 AM
2013-05-22 10:16 AM
in reply to: fisherman76

User image

NC
Originally posted by fisherman76

Don't agree.

What is it that you don't agree with?

2013-05-22 10:22 AM

User image

Veteran
Newport, North Carolina
Can I offer some advice.....do not...I repeat do not spend money to upgrade a cheap bike. I started last year with a Schwinn Katana and while it did get me through my first couple races It was not worth the dollars I spent on clip on aero bars and other gizmos and gadgets that fit that bike. After upgrading to a more high end bike, I wish I would have saved my money to invest in my Pinarello instead of running Shimano 105 I could be running Dura Ace or Campy. Your bike is fine the way it is to complete a couple tris and if you decide to stick around then I would highly recommend investing in a new bike with better componets.

If you do decide to upgrade your current bike I would upgrade the wheels. Those $50 Target/Walmart specials have some super heavy wheels and you can usually shed a couple pounds by buying some newer race wheels from your LBS. I run Mavic Aksiums and they ran me about $200 but you have to make sure the hub agrees with what ever cassette your running. The Aksiums are entry level good wheels and for the dollar you cant go wrong. On those bikes you are probably running a very basic low end shimano set up. Wheels are somewhat universal so that could be something you could keep if you decide to upgrade your bike down the road.

User image

Veteran
Newport, North Carolina
Can I offer some advice.....do not...I repeat do not spend money to upgrade a cheap bike. I started last year with a Schwinn Katana and while it did get me through my first couple races It was not worth the dollars I spent on clip on aero bars and other gizmos and gadgets that fit that bike. After upgrading to a more high end bike, I wish I would have saved my money to invest in my Pinarello instead of running Shimano 105 I could be running Dura Ace or Campy. Your bike is fine the way it is to complete a couple tris and if you decide to stick around then I would highly recommend investing in a new bike with better componets.

If you do decide to upgrade your current bike I would upgrade the wheels. Those $50 Target/Walmart specials have some super heavy wheels and you can usually shed a couple pounds by buying some newer race wheels from your LBS. I run Mavic Aksiums and they ran me about $200 but you have to make sure the hub agrees with what ever cassette your running. The Aksiums are entry level good wheels and for the dollar you cant go wrong. On those bikes you are probably running a very basic low end shimano set up. Wheels are somewhat universal so that could be something you could keep if you decide to upgrade your bike down the road.

User image

Veteran
Newport, North Carolina

2013-05-22 10:35 AM

User image

Veteran
Cincinnati
Originally posted by tenninstr

Originally posted by Meljoypip

That bike is fine for a beginner and I agree with the above comment. You are likely to enjoy biking (and triathlon) more if you are using clipless pedals. You can buy brand new Shimano R540's for about $40 and find you some used shoes on ebay or CL. Should be able to get clipped in for around $75. I don't consider that an "upgrade" to that particular bike because they will be completely transferrable to any other bike you decide to purchase later.

Check out www.nashbar.com. You can get set up with some cheap shoes and pedals for under 80 dollars..
2013-05-22 12:27 PM

User image

Champion
Sarasota, FL

x whatever on not spending any more money on the thing.

Just get a good helmet, a pair of bike shorts and go ride the bike until you wear it out.

Mark

New Thread
General Discussion Triathlon Talk » Recommended road bike upgrades for "cheap" bike Rss Feed  

of 2

RELATED POSTS

Please Recommend a wheelset for my road bike

Started by TurtleMan77
Views: 1142 Posts: 10

2011-09-04 9:00 AM CraigT

Road bike upgrades for triathlons

Started by psteiner
Views: 1871 Posts: 12

2013-07-20 5:15 PM reecealan

Tri Bike or Upgrade Road Bike?

Started by highenuff
Views: 904 Posts: 4

2009-08-11 9:56 PM ranger5oh

Cheap Shimano Tiagra road bike

Started by ragingferret
Views: 2870 Posts: 7

2007-10-09 7:41 AM Tri3

Recommended bike upgrade?

Started by christyr1978
Views: 1451 Posts: 12

2006-08-22 8:29 PM wsm9363
RELATED ARTICLES
date : February 26, 2013
author : mikericci
comments : 0
If you are a person who feels safer on the trails rather than the road, but you still want to race, this article will help you better train.

date : August 11, 2011
author : FitWerx
comments : 1
Dean from Fitwerx answers a BT member question about what kind of bike should be the "next bike."
date : January 8, 2010
comments : 1
I am in the market for a new road bike, at several local bike stores I will test ride several bikes. Other than basic fit and components, how should I compare them while doing a test ride?

date : December 27, 2008
comments : 9
Are you a beginner triathlete? This video will compare triathlon bikes and road bikes to help you figure out what is best for you as you begin your triathlon training.
date : December 15, 2008
comments : 2
I bought a new road bike in April and want to know how to properly maintain it during the season when I'm riding often and during the off season.

date : December 15, 2008
I own both a road bike and a tri bike. I am wondering which bike I should be riding during off season training, or does it matter?
date : March 6, 2007
author : sportfactory
Bike upgrades to gain speed: better wheelsets, a tri-bike, road bike with aerobars, even getting rid of those love handles before getting that lighter bike.

date : July 30, 2006
author : Valdora Cycles
comments : 8
The triathlon bike vs. road bike quandary. Before you even ask the road bike vs. tri bike question, you should have a couple sprint triathlons or duathlons under your belt.