General Discussion Triathlon Talk » Recommended road bike upgrades for "cheap" bike Rss Feed  
Moderators: k9car363, alicefoeller Reply

of 2

2013-05-22 1:10 PM
in reply to: RedCorvette

User image

New user
Auburn, AL
Subject: RE: Recommended road bike upgrades for "cheap" bike
That looks like a newer version of my 10 year old ebay bike. I put some pedals I stole off my mountain bike on it and have been pretty happy. I figure if I can use if for a few years and upgrade after I get a good bit more fit.
Would recommend the clipless pedals as they make life a lot easier in the long run and they can transfer to a new bike.

2013-05-22 2:16 PM
in reply to: podemma

User image

You guys are all great!  Thanks for all of the advice.  Looks like it's clipless pedals/shoes if anything at all (since they can be transferred to another bike).

2013-05-22 2:28 PM
in reply to: dbrook1

User image

Elite
Spokane, WA
Originally posted by dbrook1

You guys are all great!  Thanks for all of the advice.  Looks like it's clipless pedals/shoes if anything at all (since they can be transferred to another bike).

That's great, have fun and welcome to the forum. I'll also second what someone else said about a computer. It's so nice to know how fast you're going and how far you've gone. I can't imagine riding without one. And it will transfer to another bike as well.

2013-05-22 2:45 PM
in reply to: zed707

User image

Master
Salt Lake City
Originally posted by zed707

Originally posted by dbrook1

That's great, have fun and welcome to the forum. I'll also second what someone else said about a computer. It's so nice to know how fast you're going and how far you've gone. I can't imagine riding without one. And it will transfer to another bike as well.

If you have a smartphone you can probably skip the computer all together.
2013-05-22 2:59 PM
in reply to: dbrook1

User image

x whatever on not actually swapping out any parts on that bike. Adding clipless pedals or clip on aerobars can be considered because they can be transferred to another bike...whether it's another $300 bike, or a $3000 bike. So they will hold their value.

The real problem with upgrading a bike like that is that if you change one part, you will likely have to change a lot of other parts as well. One issue you're going to have with that bike is the spacing of the shifts. It's a 52/42 chainring crank and a 8 speed 11-30 in the back. Which means each shift is going to feel considerably harder or easier. Thus it makes it difficult to say in your preferred cadence. Again...there really is no way to fix this without changing out half your parts, so just save your money. If you really like the sport, use that saved money towards a higher end bike.
2013-05-22 3:57 PM
in reply to: 0

User image

Pro
Originally posted by RedCorvette

x whatever on not spending any more money on the thing.

Just get a good helmet, a pair of bike shorts and go ride the bike until you wear it out.

Mark

yeah X whatever +1

The bike is what it is. Other than eventually investing in clipless pedals and shoes (which will transfer to any bike you get in the future), you may want to invest in a new saddle if that one doesn't work out for you. (although- chances are, you just need to break in your butt)

Sure, you could make a career out of searching for deals on better components and then bolting them on- but none will be a cost effective upgrade.

ride the hell out of this bike and save your pennies. When you can someday afford the bike of your dreams, you'll appreciate it that much more.

Edited by morey000 2013-05-22 3:58 PM

2013-05-22 4:48 PM
in reply to: morey000

As a fellow cheap bike rider, the only thing I'd think is to go with some cage pedals. Should be able to do that for $25 or less.

The $400 bike you ride is far superior to the $4000 bike you don't.
2013-05-22 4:51 PM
in reply to: merkin4

User image

Pro
Originally posted by merkin4

The $400 bike you ride is far superior to the $4000 bike you don't.

Great Quote!
New Thread
General Discussion Triathlon Talk » Recommended road bike upgrades for "cheap" bike Rss Feed  

of 2

RELATED POSTS

Please Recommend a wheelset for my road bike

Started by TurtleMan77
Views: 1142 Posts: 10

2011-09-04 9:00 AM CraigT

Road bike upgrades for triathlons

Started by psteiner
Views: 1871 Posts: 12

2013-07-20 5:15 PM reecealan

Tri Bike or Upgrade Road Bike?

Started by highenuff
Views: 904 Posts: 4

2009-08-11 9:56 PM ranger5oh

Cheap Shimano Tiagra road bike

Started by ragingferret
Views: 2870 Posts: 7

2007-10-09 7:41 AM Tri3

Recommended bike upgrade?

Started by christyr1978
Views: 1451 Posts: 12

2006-08-22 8:29 PM wsm9363
RELATED ARTICLES
date : February 26, 2013
author : mikericci
comments : 0
If you are a person who feels safer on the trails rather than the road, but you still want to race, this article will help you better train.

date : August 11, 2011
author : FitWerx
comments : 1
Dean from Fitwerx answers a BT member question about what kind of bike should be the "next bike."
date : January 8, 2010
comments : 1
I am in the market for a new road bike, at several local bike stores I will test ride several bikes. Other than basic fit and components, how should I compare them while doing a test ride?

date : December 27, 2008
comments : 9
Are you a beginner triathlete? This video will compare triathlon bikes and road bikes to help you figure out what is best for you as you begin your triathlon training.
date : December 15, 2008
comments : 2
I bought a new road bike in April and want to know how to properly maintain it during the season when I'm riding often and during the off season.

date : December 15, 2008
I own both a road bike and a tri bike. I am wondering which bike I should be riding during off season training, or does it matter?
date : March 6, 2007
author : sportfactory
Bike upgrades to gain speed: better wheelsets, a tri-bike, road bike with aerobars, even getting rid of those love handles before getting that lighter bike.

date : July 30, 2006
author : Valdora Cycles
comments : 8
The triathlon bike vs. road bike quandary. Before you even ask the road bike vs. tri bike question, you should have a couple sprint triathlons or duathlons under your belt.