General Discussion Triathlon Talk » Saddle sore and moleskin? Little help? Rss Feed  
Moderators: k9car363, alicefoeller Reply
2013-06-02 6:21 PM

User image

Regular
SF Bay area
Subject: Saddle sore and moleskin? Little help?

I've developed a hot spot that is just a step away from becoming a saddle sore on my left side, and a 60 mile ride coming up this week.  This has only occurred after I upped my mileage and specifically first showed up after a ride that included a 45 minute 2200' climb.  Today was a 45 mile ride of rolling hills and smaller climbs, but the little beast was angrier than ever by the time I was done.  I've been consistent in lubing up the chamois with Chamois Butt'r, and that's what probably has held it at bay thus far. So:

1) I'm considering, for the long ride, slapping a large patch of moleskin over the reddened/roughened area to stave off an uncomfortable 3 hours.  I've used this for hot spots on the feet for marathon training, but don't know if this is the right answer for the sit bone.  Anyone tried this?  Other proven alternatives?

2) From what I've pulled up off the interweb, since this is happening only on one side, it may be either a saddle fit issue or, more likely, an uneven stroke.  When I had my fitting the fitter did indicate after watching me that I had a nice even stroke on the right side but a much more pronounced downstroke on the left, so it sounds like some single leg drills may be in order.  Opinions?

2013-06-02 6:42 PM
in reply to: 0

User image

Pro
, New Hampshire
Subject: RE: Saddle sore and moleskin? Little help?
More then likely it has nothing to do with your pedal stroke, but commonly this is related to a shorter stroke on one side. This is from either a leg length discrepancy (which is very common), or a function length difference (shorter hamstring for example on the left side in your case).

Try lowering you saddle ever so slightly. That usually helps a lot.

Also, try a different detergent on your cycling shorts. It could very well be that the detergent you are using left a very small amount of residue, which can cause a small infection (which is exactly what a saddle sore is, an infected abrasive sore).

I doubt mole skin is the solution though... keep it clean and dry for now and stay off the bike for a few days to let it heal. A bad saddle sore can keep you off the bike for the remainder of the season... yes, they can get that bad.

Edited by audiojan 2013-06-02 6:43 PM
New Thread
General Discussion Triathlon Talk » Saddle sore and moleskin? Little help? Rss Feed  
RELATED POSTS

Saddle Sore Help - Please!

Started by PinkPrincess
Views: 1500 Posts: 10

2012-04-15 4:24 PM HillSlugger

Ouuuchhhhh!!! Women please help.....saddle sore question

Started by gomom_shell
Views: 751 Posts: 3

2010-08-24 2:29 AM eggletina

Saddles Sores - help!

Started by DB
Views: 4117 Posts: 21

2010-07-07 4:01 PM Nat the Brat

Saddle sores - help me heal!

Started by slusser
Views: 2546 Posts: 25

2008-04-29 6:54 PM CYCLISTtuRUNsTRI

Help: Saddle sore.

Started by snowriderinfl
Views: 1288 Posts: 13

2007-10-29 3:07 PM davidb
RELATED ARTICLES
date : March 13, 2009
author : FitWerx
comments : 2
I cannot get comfortable without the nose of the saddle being tilted down. I have tried many different seats and had two professional fittings, but still have excessive numbness and discomfort.

date : February 17, 2009
author : sportfactory
comments : 0
Finding the right bicycle saddle is often a confusing process of trial and error for cyclists. However, a little education goes a long way, and will perhaps save you some pain and discomfort as well.
date : November 3, 2008
author : AMSSM
While not the most pleasant topic, saddles sores are a common phenomenon within the cycling community. Learn what causes saddle sores and how to prevent them from occurring.

date : September 5, 2006
author : Writebrained
The ISM Adamo Racing Saddle is difficult to define. It doesn’t look like a bicycle saddle. It doesn’t mount like a bicycle saddle. And yet, it does feel like a bicycle saddle.
date : June 5, 2006
author : acbadger
comments : 8
When I swim I struggle to get a full breath and consequently run down faster. I spend part of my training on the side of the pool gasping for air.

date : January 1, 2006
author : acbadger
comments : 1
I’ve signed up to do the St. Anthony’s Olympic Triathlon in April. I will be 49 in May and need some advice on a good training program to fit into my full time work schedule.
date : July 17, 2005
author : chrisandniki
“Too bad there’s not anything like this for triathletes.” There are a million books and articles on how to train. One of the toughest parts of triathlon training is how to fit them into everyday life.

date : September 10, 2004
author : Ron
comments : 2
Your help is needed to keep BT the best of the best.