General Discussion Triathlon Talk » Why do I fall apart during my long runs? Rss Feed  
Moderators: k9car363, alicefoeller Reply

of 5

2013-06-03 4:09 PM
in reply to: mehaner

User image

Master
Subject: RE: Why do I fall apart during my long runs?
Originally posted by mehaner

Originally posted by dmiller5 uh oh, a feel another monster thread coming on gatordeb. the reason you are falling apart on your long run is because you do not have the fitness to complete it. You need to run more, more often, and more consistently to accomplish your goals. x10000000 you need a new coach and/or plan, or need to follow your coach's plan correctly if it did include more running.

why do people even bother to give this piece of advice any more???  but i will sit back and enjoy the thread anyway.

x2

2013-06-03 4:37 PM

User image

Pro

Originally posted by dmiller5 uh oh, a feel another monster thread coming on gatordeb. the reason you are falling apart on your long run is because you do not have the fitness to complete it. You need to run more, more often, and more consistently to accomplish your goals. x10000000 you need a new coach and/or plan, or need to follow your coach's plan correctly if it did include more running.

why do people even bother to give this piece of advice any more???  but i will sit back and enjoy the thread anyway.

I am watching as well....but I've moved all sharp objects out of my reach.

2013-06-03 4:47 PM
in reply to: GatorDeb

User image

Extreme Veteran
, Kobenhavns Kommune
Originally posted by GatorDeb

By the time I start walking I'm doing 22 minutes per mile and swaying all over the place.

Just to be clear here: The difference between walking and running is that in running at any time at most one foot touches the ground and there will be brief moments where neither foot touches the ground where as in walking at any time at least one foot touches the ground and there will be brief moments where both feet touch the ground.

I seriously doubt you can run keeping a 22 minute/mile pace unless of course you're a special consultant for the department of silly runs under the ministry of silly walks.
2013-06-03 4:48 PM

User image

Master
San Antone, Texas

Because its still really good advice!

The real question is why does anyone give GatorDeb any type of advice anymore? It never appears that any advice given to her is even listened to.

I have to agree with the person who asked why GatorDeb is asking two triathlon forums this question instead of asking her coach. You either have a coach whom you trust their plan and advice, and you listen to them and them alone. Or you don't trust them and ask a bunch of strangers, get some good advice and don't listen to that either.

So why pay the coach?

I really wish you the best GatorDeb. I hope you can get this all figured out by race day and have a good day out there and not injured.
2013-06-03 4:53 PM

User image

Champion
Montague Gold Mines, Nova Scotia
Also, because it bears repeating:

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Hyponatremia#Complications

Take note of acute hyponatremia - this is nothing to mess around with.

Shane
2013-06-03 6:16 PM
in reply to: 0

User image

Pro
Burbs
NM

Edited by trishie 2013-06-03 6:16 PM

2013-06-03 6:35 PM
in reply to: rick4657

User image

Master
Crab Cake City
I agree with everyone else that its most likely that run fitness is not there. Looking at your logs, where is your build? it just seems so inconsistent. I would also say that a run/walk strategy would be your best bet for IMCDA. You are going to be coming off a hilly bike and your legs are probably not going to feel as fresh as you think they will. The R/W strategy should help make the marathon less painful but it will probably be survival mode at that time. I would also echo what others here and on ST have said....numerous times you have asked for advice and got some really solid advice from very experienced triathletes and that is what the forums are all about (I do it all the time ) but a lot of these questions should be asked to your coach so she can provide you (hopefully) with the right answers on how to fix your problems. Unfortunately, during your IM journey it doesn't seem like your "Coach" really knows what she is doing or isn't paying attention to your logs and progress. I will not pass judgement on her ability as a coach but based only on your logs and the information you provide either you are not following her plan or she really isn't helping you much. After IMCDA I think you need to take a few steps back and make an honest assesment of your training, performance and see what improvements have been made since she became your coach. If you like what you see then GREAT! and if not, lesson learned and maybe her services are not what you need. I really don't want this post to be perceived as negative Deb, I really really really am cheering for you at IMCDA and want you to have your IM moment, I really do. I will be cheering for you this month and I hope it all works out in the end. Keep training and race smart.
2013-06-03 7:47 PM

User image

Veteran
Great White North
not enough base training... not enough speed work, too much fluid and too few kcals.
2013-06-03 7:49 PM
in reply to: Left Brain

User image

Veteran
Great White North
popcorn thread after CDA. OP will be We Told You So.
2013-06-03 8:07 PM
in reply to: simpsonbo

User image

Regular
Las Vegas, NV
Originally posted by simpsonbo

popcorn thread after CDA. OP will be We Told You So.

Off to bed before work and I will reply tonight, but just wanted to comment on this gem. I'd rather never get faster than 15 minutes per mile running, 10 miles per hour biking, and 3 minutes per hundred swimming than ever wishing someone else doesn't accomplish their goal. You are truly an example of what a person should be inside.
2013-06-03 8:19 PM

User image

Veteran
Great White North
Just commenting on the fact that both BTers and STers are trying to point out reality. I really do hope you achieve your goal, but success for you will probably take longer than you planned. I'm sorry that I find it entertaining that you ignore sound advice on both forums and you pay a so called coach gobs of cash. I know what it's like to come up short on goals in some cases 0.01 seconds short.

2013-06-03 10:24 PM
in reply to: trishie

User image

NC
Originally posted by trishie

NM

x2.

2013-06-04 12:19 AM
in reply to: Goosedog

User image

Regular
Las Vegas, NV
First person I asked for advice was my coach. I'm just picking people's brains now. If everything had one 100% answer as to why something was happening, it'd be different, but specially where the body is concerned most of the time it's trial and error.

I did get advice which I thought was kind of brilliant and I have to try it, sipping water and spitting it back out, gets rid a bit of that thirsty feeling without adding water to the body.

For this week's 12 mi run I plan to take 1 gel, 1 glucose tablet, and 1 SaltStick every 30 minutes. Have taken that before, won't hurt, who knows if it will help, we will see what happens.

If the fitness is not there the only answer to that is to keep training, but in the meantime I can tinker around with stuff to see if any of that will help.

So that's the first plan of attack, the spitting out to try to minimize hydration and the increased salt and nutrition with a bit of sugar. If it works, I will do that exact thing at the IM and then after I can start taking away to pinpoint exactly what it was that helped, just one of them or two or all three.
2013-06-04 5:32 AM

User image

Champion
Montague Gold Mines, Nova Scotia

First person I asked for advice was my coach. I'm just picking people's brains now. If everything had one 100% answer as to why something was happening, it'd be different, but specially where the body is concerned most of the time it's trial and error.

While there are individual differences, people are more alike than they are different which is why most answers have highlighted over hydration, under fueling and lack of fitness. You can play around with these elements but that is exactly what you should have heard from your coach. Especially the over hydration (as that is very dangerous) and the lack of fitness as you just don't have the fitness to run for 3.5 hours based on your training.

Shane
2013-06-04 6:38 AM
in reply to: gsmacleod

User image

Pro
Camp Hill, Pennsylvania
Originally posted by gsmacleod
Originally posted by GatorDebFirst person I asked for advice was my coach. I'm just picking people's brains now. If everything had one 100% answer as to why something was happening, it'd be different, but specially where the body is concerned most of the time it's trial and error.
While there are individual differences, people are more alike than they are different which is why most answers have highlighted over hydration, under fueling and lack of fitness. You can play around with these elements but that is exactly what you should have heard from your coach. Especially the over hydration (as that is very dangerous) and the lack of fitness as you just don't have the fitness to run for 3.5 hours based on your training.Shane
x2. Deb, listen to Shane. He's giving you good advice. BTW, what did your coach say? I'm guessing it was something similar?
2013-06-04 7:38 AM

All of these Gatordeb threads are the same. Just substitute one discipline for another and it goes on forever. Won't listen to any advice, coach is great but gets no results, etc. A couple months from now it'll be "can't swim faster than 3:00, why?

2013-06-04 8:08 AM

User image

Pro
Camp Hill, Pennsylvania

Originally posted by cpzoneAll of these Gatordeb threads are the same. Just substitute one discipline for another and it goes on forever. Won't listen to any advice, coach is great but gets no results, etc. A couple months from now it'll be "can't swim faster than 3:00, why?
Eh, Deb just seems to take more time than others to assimilate change, but comparing recent threads to those from a few years ago, she has come a long way.  If I didn't believe that, I would have stopped trying to help 2 years ago.

Edited by TriMyBest 2013-06-04 8:12 AM
2013-06-04 8:49 AM
in reply to: TriMyBest

Originally posted by TriMyBest

Originally posted by cpzoneAll of these Gatordeb threads are the same. Just substitute one discipline for another and it goes on forever. Won't listen to any advice, coach is great but gets no results, etc. A couple months from now it'll be "can't swim faster than 3:00, why?
Eh, Deb just seems to take more time than others to assimilate change, but comparing recent threads to those from a few years ago, she has come a long way.  If I didn't believe that, I would have stopped trying to help 2 years ago.

Ye of pure soul..... I'll take Left Brain's advice and keep sharp objects away. This will hit page 4 soon.
2013-06-04 9:28 AM
in reply to: cpzone

User image

Veteran
Great White North
3:00 /100 m or 3:00/100 y?
2013-06-04 10:04 AM
in reply to: TriMyBest

User image

Expert
Ontario
Originally posted by TriMyBest

This is very true.  I remember when Deb first started posting here.  

I would love to see Deb get a new coach and concentrate on short course for a couple years.  I think she would surprise herself and everyone here at how well she would do.

2013-06-04 10:34 AM
in reply to: cathyd

Regular
While I agree with most of what all of you have said, I do have to give her credit. She has endured all the slings & arrows thrown at her on ST and here. Based on the posts that I have read, she is not a naturally gifted athlete but has persevered in her training. She has already accomplished more than 90% of other americans. Deb...I wish you luck and hope you succeed. If you don't make it, I have no doubt that you will come back even more determined for another try.

2013-06-04 10:39 AM
in reply to: riltri

User image

Extreme Veteran
Originally posted by riltri

While I agree with most of what all of you have said, I do have to give her credit. She has endured all the slings & arrows thrown at her on ST and here. Based on the posts that I have read, she is not a naturally gifted athlete but has persevered in her training. She has already accomplished more than 90% of other americans. Deb...I wish you luck and hope you succeed. If you don't make it, I have no doubt that you will come back even more determined for another try.

x2

There is a fine line between perseverance and stubborn like a mule

I am not sure what side of the line Deb is on :-)

Good luck to her
2013-06-04 11:08 AM

User image

Master
Burlington, Vermont

I did get advice which I thought was kind of brilliant and I have to try it, sipping water and spitting it back out, gets rid a bit of that thirsty feeling without adding water to the body.

For this week's 12 mi run I plan to take 1 gel, 1 glucose tablet, and 1 SaltStick every 30 minutes. Have taken that before, won't hurt, who knows if it will help, we will see what happens.

If the fitness is not there the only answer to that is to keep training, but in the meantime I can tinker around with stuff to see if any of that will help.

So that's the first plan of attack, the spitting out to try to minimize hydration and the increased salt and nutrition with a bit of sugar. If it works, I will do that exact thing at the IM and then after I can start taking away to pinpoint exactly what it was that helped, just one of them or two or all three.

You're looking to the wrong place for the answers. The advice about not drinking so much and taking in more calories is certainly relevant, but that's only to SUPPLEMENT your training. If you're not ready to run 20 miles, Gu is not going to make up the difference. And you're not slowing down because you're thirsty. It's okay to be uncomfortable, and a dry mouth is not where you should be feeling discomfort. That's not a training indicator.

Your fitness does not currently match your hopes/expectations for race day or, for that matter, your training runs.

Run more. From what I can gather, a LOT more.

2013-06-04 11:12 AM

User image

Regular
Las Vegas, NV
Eh, beginning of last year I could barely run two miles, could barely bike 12 miles in an hour, and it took me 65 minutes to go 1600m. Now I can run a half marathon without stopping, I can bike 100 miles at 13+ MPH, and I can go over 2000m in an hour. I've held 2:2X/100m for the swim portion of a HIM. I like all three equally. I have FUN training, I enjoy it.

Fitness I can do nothing about in the next two weeks. Nutrition, hydration, supplementation (i.e. salt), pacing, I can.

Plan to do this for the time being so at the end of the day I do something every day I enjoy.

And, prior to July 2009 I had never exercise and prior to Jan 2012 I hadn't done anything other than Zumba/TurboKick/Spin. Jan 2010 I couldn't run 30 seconds straight.

In the grand scheme of things, I'm completely satisfied with the progress It can only get better from here. I'm happy I can run, bike, and swim period, because they are activities I enjoy and are fun in and of themselves and just doing them brings me joy.

My short runs (<7 miles) I can now hold 9:XX and sometimes 8:XX and I ran one mile at 7:XX. Now I just have to do it again And again, and again. I can consistently hammer out a 10K at 10:00/mi.

Edited by GatorDeb 2013-06-04 11:14 AM
2013-06-04 11:16 AM
in reply to: BernardDogs

User image

Regular
Las Vegas, NV
Originally posted by BernardDogs

You're looking to the wrong place for the answers. The advice about not drinking so much and taking in more calories is certainly relevant, but that's only to SUPPLEMENT your training. If you're not ready to run 20 miles, Gu is not going to make up the difference. And you're not slowing down because you're thirsty. It's okay to be uncomfortable, and a dry mouth is not where you should be feeling discomfort. That's not a training indicator.

Your fitness does not currently match your hopes/expectations for race day or, for that matter, your training runs.

Run more. From what I can gather, a LOT more.

Not really planning on stopping the running any time soon.
New Thread
General Discussion Triathlon Talk » Why do I fall apart during my long runs? Rss Feed  

of 5

RELATED POSTS

Why no music during the run? Pages: 1 2

Started by lamb_y2003
Views: 3655 Posts: 44

2011-04-26 4:20 PM Brightbow

Long run during maintenance and other running questions Pages: 1 2

Started by jsiegs
Views: 2349 Posts: 26

2010-11-27 10:50 AM jsiegs

Fell apart!

Started by swatops23
Views: 1456 Posts: 9

2010-06-28 1:00 PM trix

New bike gloves just fell apart

Started by ragingferret
Views: 1435 Posts: 11

2007-03-11 5:58 PM ragingferret

Races and Me and Falling Apart

Started by nliedel
Views: 1359 Posts: 16

2005-08-22 12:04 PM nliedel
RELATED ARTICLES
date : November 23, 2009
author : mikericci
comments : 0
At the midpoint of the run I felt my calves start to cramp. How do I improve my cramping resistance and are there any extra training or exercise for me to improve on?

date : July 6, 2009
author : Amy Kuitse
comments : 9
I am training for my first sprint tri and I am having the hardest time with the run. I just get really winded between the 1-1/12 mile mark.
date : August 17, 2007
author : scoli121
comments : 6
I quickly browsed an article in Men's Health that talked about doing a triathlon, and how it wasn't really that hard. With a "tsk!" I quickly turned the page while thinking, "Yeah, right!"

date : August 7, 2007
author : AMSSM
What would cause my foot to fall asleep after running about 3 miles and then have a numb spot on the top of my instep?
date : June 11, 2007
author : Total Immersion
comments : 3
Most of those thinking about tackling a long swim instinctively feel it’s necessary to Do much to build endurance - more yards, harder laps. But a focus on Receiving is ideal for long distances.

date : April 11, 2007
author : Coach AJ
Discussion on the walk/run technique, run injury and cadence, barefoot running, staying aero on long climbs and HIM preparation
date : March 5, 2006
author : KevinKonczak
Discussion on tapering, treadmill workout, long run issues, insituting run/walk, surrounded by hills and knowing your LT.

date : October 17, 2004
author : chrisandniki
Fall's also the time to shop! In fact, now's the best time to retool some of your triathlon equipment for next year, right before the Christmas season begins to jack prices upward.