Moderators: k9car363, alicefoeller Reply

of 2

2013-06-04 4:21 PM

User image

Master
Minnetonka, Minnesota
Bronze member
Subject: Lake Minnetonka Tri - 6/15/2013
Called a bait shop today (6/4) on Tonka and they said water temps range from about 58 in the main lake to 62 in the smaller bays. Come on sun and warmth! Hoping for high 60s by race day.

Who's in this year?

2013-06-04 4:50 PM
in reply to: ejshowers

User image

Champion
, Minnesota
Bronze member
Subject: RE: Lake Minnetonka Tri - 6/15/2013

In the e-mail about the open water swim clinic next week, the RD says he's planning on 65.  I think he pulled that number from his hope chest. 

Anyway, I have glued up all the rips in my wet suit and I'm shivering now just thinking about it!  I can't tell you how NOT excited I am. At the very least, it better be a cool race day overall so we get some benefit from the crazy weather.  I wouldn't mind a sprinkly run again...

2013-06-04 11:11 PM
in reply to: BikerGrrrl

User image

New user
This weather is ridiculous - last year it was in the 80's and now it's like payback for two dry winters in a row. Come on jet stream - pull up some warm southern air, and warm up those lakes! I really don't relish another 59F like Blaine!
2013-06-05 10:07 AM

User image

Veteran
Maple Grove
I'm in (and pumped!!) This will be my first year for this race. With temps next week looking to be mid 70s for highs and low 60s for lows, and sunny all week, I imagine the water will come up to the mid 60s, which should be similar to Buffalo. I think it will be just fine! May also have family watching (including in-laws), so it should be a good time for all.
2013-06-05 12:01 PM
in reply to: rdailey1

User image

Champion
, Minnesota
Bronze member
The nice thing about this race is you can get into the water and just stand off to the side until your heat goes.  So, you don't need to get in and then get back out and freeze waiting.  This is definitely the kind of deal where a quick dip to acclimate is a good idea and should be mandatory.
2013-06-05 12:22 PM

User image

Minneapolis
I'm in! I've been terribly unmotivated to train because of the weather I'm really glad I bought a wet suit though!

2013-06-06 2:38 PM

User image

New user
Chanhassen
I'm in! I plan to go to Monday night's "clinic" just to get in the water! I bought my own wetsuit a month ago (after borrowing one in the past), and I haven't even tried it! I was thinking maybe tomorrow of going to splash around... we'll see!
2013-06-06 3:22 PM
in reply to: Dandy_Girl

User image

Champion
, Minnesota
Bronze member
I'm also going on Monday night. Anyone else?
2013-06-07 3:51 PM

User image

Elite
What time is the swim on Monday? I am signed up but keep bouncing back and forth on if I'll do the race or not. Have not rode my Tri bike since last November, left shoulder is so mucked up I can't really swim anymore and for some reason running has been difficult with the 20 pound weight gain over the winter. Sounds like this could be a real wake up call! Maybe if I hit the practice swim it will ignite some passion.
2013-06-07 5:40 PM
in reply to: mndiver

User image

St. Paul
I may try to get to this too. I believe it is at 6:30. I am going to try to find some last minute motivation, try the new wetsuit, and attempt to make it to the finish line next weekend with little to no run or swim training. Ugggh! It will for sure be a wake up call!
2013-06-08 4:44 PM
in reply to: 0

User image

Champion
, Minnesota
Bronze member

Originally posted by mndiver What time is the swim on Monday? I am signed up but keep bouncing back and forth on if I'll do the race or not. Have not rode my Tri bike since last November, left shoulder is so mucked up I can't really swim anymore and for some reason running has been difficult with the 20 pound weight gain over the winter. Sounds like this could be a real wake up call! Maybe if I hit the practice swim it will ignite some passion.

Well, I really would like to see you there but not if it's going to hurt/injure you further to race!

The swim is at 6:30.

2013-06-08 4:46 PM

User image

Champion
, Minnesota
Bronze member

I just got back from riding the course.  It's as awesome as usual, although I really hope they sweep the shoulders.  There are big rocks and other debris on the first stretch.  I forgot how relatively easy the route is, so I am pumped.

NO, I didn't stick a toe in the water.  Thought about it. 

2013-06-08 11:27 PM

User image

Veteran
Maple Grove
For those who have done this before, where, exactly, does the swim go? I know that it starts on the west-facing beach, goes around the point, and then south to the grassy area near the bandshell where transition will be. But how far out around the point does the course go? There are black and white striped buoys that mark off the rocks just under the surface that extend off the point for a maybe 150 yards. Does the course go as far out as these, or does it cut inside of these? Then on the way in, do you get out of the water close to the tree line at the north end of the park (closer to the band shell), or is it further south down the shoreline? It's kind of hard to get a sense of the actual distance given that the time/100yd that they list is way off (maybe entered as a 500yd race), but best times are around 10 minutes, which would imply a half mile course. Has anyone done it with a garmin?

I'm really excited and nervous about the race. I know it depends more on who shows up on race day, but I think I might have a shot of age group placing if I can achieve the upper limits of projected paces, based on the last couple of years of results (thankfully, Mike Beunting, Brett Lovaas, and several other speed demons in my age group have done this as elites the last couple of years). OK, I'll stop now...
2013-06-09 3:43 AM

User image

RE: Where does the swim go? Here's my garmin results for 2010 if that helps: http://connect.garmin.com/activity/37408640
2013-06-09 9:49 AM
in reply to: shaunjamison

User image

Veteran
Maple Grove
Originally posted by shaunjamison

RE: Where does the swim go? Here's my garmin results for 2010 if that helps: http://connect.garmin.com/activity/37408640

Interesting! so it started on the East beach, headed out and along that point/sandbar, then turned South. Got it! thank you.
2013-06-09 2:21 PM
in reply to: shaunjamison

User image

Champion
, Minnesota
Bronze member

It is a half mile course and yes, it goes pretty far from shore. You definitely don't cut in closer the shore line.  Unless you're in the first wave, and the fastest swimmer, there will be a pretty good draft going in the direction of swim out.  This is a very fast course for me, anyway.  There's a buoy you have to swim to and around.  You can see two corners in Shaun's map, I think there are just two buoys.  The rest is lined with kayaks & paddleboarders. 

I can't remember exactly where the swim out is, but it's pretty close to the point.  Also verified by Shaun's map

They will talk about this as the meeting, but what they do is line the rocky edge with carpet into and coming out of the water.  So you swim until you see carpet.  Along the edge, on both sides, are people in the water who will help you in.  So, swim swim swim until you are pretty much guided up and out of the water.  It's very easy to do if you just look for the carpet.  There's a fair run into transition, so consider that when picking your T area, based on your strengths.  The bike out is at the opposite corner of where you run in.   If you don't like running with  your bike, put your stuff nearest to the park shelter.

2013-06-09 4:22 PM

User image

Veteran
Maple Grove
Originally posted by BikerGrrrl

There's a fair run into transition, so consider that when picking your T area, based on your strengths.  The bike out is at the opposite corner of where you run in.   If you don't like running with  your bike, put your stuff nearest to the park shelter.

Generally everyone has to do the same thing for swim in to bike out, but where is run out in relation to bike in?
2013-06-09 5:36 PM

User image

Champion
, Minnesota
Bronze member

Originally posted by rdailey1
Originally posted by BikerGrrrl There's a fair run into transition, so consider that when picking your T area, based on your strengths.  The bike out is at the opposite corner of where you run in.   If you don't like running with  your bike, put your stuff nearest to the park shelter.
Generally everyone has to do the same thing for swim in to bike out, but where is run out in relation to bike in?

I think it's opposite of bike out/in, but don't quote me on it.

2013-06-09 5:59 PM

User image

Master
Minnetonka, Minnesota
Bronze member
It is oppostie, so T area is generally laid out so there is no advanatge in pure distance moving through it, but like Emily wrote, you can limit your run with the bike in/out if you choose appropriately.
2013-06-10 3:18 PM

User image

New user
Chanhassen
Ok, so I have to tell you this... As I was re-reading this thread today at lunch, I was remembering how last year I would read through these threads and it would scare me! I've since learned, there are very few real beginners on the BT site!

This is only my 2nd Tri... my goals are to finish and not throw up. Transition area strategies are out of my league! None-the-less, it's fun to read everyone's comments.

Looking forward to seeing/meeting some of you at the swim tonight! Finally a warmer day!

2013-06-10 8:15 PM

User image

Veteran
Maple Grove
Originally posted by Dandy_Girl

Ok, so I have to tell you this... As I was re-reading this thread today at lunch, I was remembering how last year I would read through these threads and it would scare me! I've since learned, there are very few real beginners on the BT site!

This is only my 2nd Tri... my goals are to finish and not throw up. Transition area strategies are out of my league! None-the-less, it's fun to read everyone's comments.

Looking forward to seeing/meeting some of you at the swim tonight! Finally a warmer day!

The great thing about this site isn't just that it's beginner friendly. It's that there is an amazing breadth of both talented and experienced people that are willing to share their knowledge in a polite and constructive way (almost always!) There are certainly differences of opinions (find a thread about flip turns ) but that difference of opinions allows those less experienced to try different things in both training and racing to find out what works for them. Two years ago I was a real beginner and had no idea even where to begin. I still have lots of questions, but also feel that I have some knowledge and experience that I love to share. I'm on the site almost every single day, and learning something new almost every time I come here.

2013-06-11 10:35 AM

User image

Elite
Anyone do the swim last night? How was it?
2013-06-11 11:52 AM

User image

Champion
, Minnesota
Bronze member

Originally posted by Dandy_Girl Ok, so I have to tell you this... As I was re-reading this thread today at lunch, I was remembering how last year I would read through these threads and it would scare me! I've since learned, there are very few real beginners on the BT site! This is only my 2nd Tri... my goals are to finish and not throw up. Transition area strategies are out of my league! None-the-less, it's fun to read everyone's comments. Looking forward to seeing/meeting some of you at the swim tonight! Finally a warmer day!

I think there are a TON of "real" beginners on this site, but they just don't speak up.  Can you imagine how boring it would be having beginners give other beginners advice?  Okay, that happens too

I am glad you're still around and glad you're engaging in the community!   And by the way, this race is a LOT LOT LOT easier than Lake Waconia.   You will be far from throw-up mode

When I first came to BT I knew NOTHING. But then I started to chat with people and by the time I got to my first race I felt like I knew what I was doing, even just from reading race reports and other comments.    I like to think about transition strategy because it's one of the few things I can control. I have a coach not because I am any good, but I need someone to tell me what to do.  There's room for all levels.

See you on Saturday, hopefully!

2013-06-11 11:53 AM
in reply to: mndiver

User image

Champion
, Minnesota
Bronze member

Originally posted by mndiver Anyone do the swim last night? How was it?

It was fine.  It was colder, but not the coldest I have encountered.   I felt comfortable after the first few minutes.   The waves from boats are a whole other thing, though.... I am glad there will be less action on the lake Saturday morning. 

2013-06-11 12:44 PM

User image

Veteran
Maple Grove
Originally posted by BikerGrrrl

Originally posted by mndiver Anyone do the swim last night? How was it?

It was fine.  It was colder, but not the coldest I have encountered.   I felt comfortable after the first few minutes.   The waves from boats are a whole other thing, though.... I am glad there will be less action on the lake Saturday morning.[b/] 

Other than fisherman, there shouldn't be a whole lot of boaters at 7:30 in the morning. Especially near Excelsior. Not quite a hotspot for fishing (I don't think...) Wind is supposed to be from south south East, so mainly coming from Maynards/Bayside's (not across the whole lake). Should be a great swim! Now, if I could only breath to the right, I could avoid the sun in my eyes...
New Thread
General Discussion Triathlon Talk » Lake Minnetonka Tri - 6/15/2013 Rss Feed  

of 2

RELATED POSTS

Practice swim for Lake Minnetonka Tri

Started by SoberTriGuy
Views: 1077 Posts: 7

2013-04-19 4:37 PM jheitz11

Lake Minnetonka Tri

Started by mndiver
Views: 2708 Posts: 23

2012-12-27 7:01 PM Cindy63

Lake Minnetonka Tri Pages: 1 2

Started by SoberTriGuy
Views: 2337 Posts: 26

2012-06-19 3:44 PM SoberTriGuy

Lake Minnetonka Tri

Started by Hazelmn
Views: 2675 Posts: 25

2009-06-21 9:47 AM AcesFull

Anyone seen a 2007 Lake Minnetonka Tri Date?

Started by Hazelmn
Views: 775 Posts: 3

2007-01-04 12:15 PM Hazelmn
RELATED ARTICLES
date : March 4, 2010
author : alex jb
comments : 0
The triathlon made a lot of sense as I could fit the training around early mornings and other times that wouldn't eat too much into my family time. Things never go completely to plan do they?

date : September 26, 2009
author : Coach AJ
comments : 2
New products from Prologo, Lake, Avia, Orbea, Ceepo, Jamis, Zipp, Profile, Scott and Specialized.
date : July 12, 2009
author : FitWerx
I have Bontrager Race Lite wheels. I was looking into renting Zipp 303's or 404's for race day for Ironman Lake Placid. What time will I save?

date : September 24, 2008
author : Amy Kuitse
I am running Boston in April and Ironman Lake Placid is in July. I have been told that it is ambitious to think about doing an IM so close to a marathon due to the recovery time. Any suggestions?
date : August 10, 2007
author : Terese Luikens
The first time I ventured into the deep murky green lake and could not see the bottom my muscles tensed and my imagined fears surfaced. What exactly lies beneath?

date : January 7, 2007
author : Writebrained
Both the Lake Triathlon Shoe CX210TRI and the Lake Road Shoe CX225 offer distinct advantages. I tested both shoes and found them to be extremely comfortable, good looking and durable.
date : December 31, 2006
author : TriSquirrel
A description of my experiences during my first triathlon. It was a great experience. I’m in better shape than I’ve ever been.

date : July 30, 2006
author : mhan22
If you are calm while everyone around you is losing it, you probably don’t know what the hell is going on.