United States
70F / 21C
Overcast
Total Time = 1h 08m 31s
Overall Rank = 131/703
Age Group = 25-29
Age Group Rank = 18/40
Pre-race routine:

Got to the race site at 6:00 AM to set up. (Woke up at 4:30 to drive the hour to get there from a friend's house). A friend of mine arrived five minutes after I did, and we went through registration together, and get set up in transition. I had a decent spot on the end of a row.

Others from Team Revolution began showing up, and it looked like we had a good group. We definitely weren't the largest team there, but I think we had 13 people doing the race.
Event warmup:

There were a lot of people in wetsuits for the swim. I was looking at the lake and refusing to get in for a warm up, because it was 70 degrees out, and I didn't want to freeze when I got out of the water. I waded into the water, realized it wasn't really bad at all, and went in for a short 50-100 yard warmup.

I had been thinking of going off in the elite start for the men, because I was pretty sure on a good day I could go under an hour (I still believe that), but it was windy out, it was my first open water swim (OWS), and I'd only been running for a week, so I decided to go with an age group instead. Oh, and I realized I wanted people to pass, not spend the race being passed.
Swim
  • 08m 40s
  • 400 yards
  • 02m 10s / 100 yards
Comments:

After lining up with the 30-39 male age group (confusing how they did this, I had signed up in the 25-29 age group, but they marked 30 on my leg for how old I would be at the end of the year, but I ended up being clocked in the 20-29 age group). I got near the front, since I was sure I was going to do six minutes for the swim. 400 yards isn't that bad, right? I went out pretty quick, and was going ok at the beginning, but at the first buoy, anxiety was starting to pick up, and I had to stop to fight it down. I treaded water for a little bit, and then backstroked before reducing it to just kicking on my back. After a little while of that, I flipped over and was able to do the last 100 or so freestyle. I came out of the water at just about eight minutes flat. I'm really disappointed that didn't go better. I had much higher expectations. I'm not sure if the anxiety came on because I couldn't see, because there were other people around, or because the weeds were just about touchable the entire swim.
What would you do differently?:

I'm hoping that since I've clocked my first OWS now, that I have emptied the tank on the anxiety. The swim isn't that bad. Just settle down and swim.
Transition 1
  • 03m 2s
Comments:

Oh man, this is tragic. I didn't swim with my tri top because it would have been a drag. But when I got to transition to put it on, it got stuck. The bottom kind of rolled up and lodged right below my arm pits. I was pretty much helpless and couldn't do anything about it. One of the volunteers had pity on me and came to help me out. "Wow, you're really stuck aren't you."

Oh bother.

I'm going to try riding without socks to get used to that. Until I get a wetsuit (prob not this year), I'll likely not race with the tri top, and use the team's run top instead. It'll be easier to get into. I also need to get a race belt. The pins tore little holes into my tri top.
Bike
  • 30m 50s
  • 9.94 miles
  • 19.55 mile/hr
Comments:

The bike was probably my best segment here. I was really hoping to average 22 mph, but I guess that's wishful thinking for something that's not super flat, but surely at least over 20 mph.

The wind was at our back on the way out, and there were times when the wind combined with a downhill to send me upwards of 27 mph or so. I was catching lots of riders from the age groups that started ahead of me. There were also a few riders that passed me, but I was headed in a good direction. I was playing tag with one guy. I passed him, he passed me back on hills, I passed him on downhills and flats. I finally shook him on a flat section. In general I was trying to push myself hard and feel some discomfort.

The bike got difficult when we headed back into the wind. Speeds dropped to 17 and 18 mph. Had to keep pushing away at it. In general, this section was as good as I could have expected.

I need to do less of my riding on flat bike trails, and more out on the roads so that I can build more strength.
Transition 2
  • 01m 47s
Comments:

Pretty straigtforward. Just need more practice. The transition area was long and narrow, so that adds time.
Run
  • 24m 14s
  • 3.11 miles
  • 07m 51s  min/mile
Comments:

I knew the run wasn't going to be as fast as I wanted it to be. My knee has been keeping me from running except for the week previous. But I gave it a go. It was really cool to see people from Team Revolution on the trail ahead of me. It gave me something to look for, and I was able to high five people as we passed each other. Definitely a boost.

I got a bit winded toward the midpoint of the 5k. It was such a strange sensation! Winded on a 5k? It's been such a long time since that has happened. That's what being out injured will do for you.

All in all, it was a good time and effort for the condition that I was in.
Post race
Warm down:

I was cheered on to the finish by my teammates, and we stayed at the end of the course until all of our people finished. We went and checked times. One of our teammates is a coach, and had a real solid time. Another of our guys is real strong on the bike, and he posted a good time. I beat a friend of mine by a minute, and we're working on arranging a rematch. We followed up the race with a picnic. Good times. I'm looking forward to doing the race again next year.

Event comments:

I know I am capable of going under an hour on this course. Fixing the swim, doing transitions properly, being healthy on the run, and a bit strong on the bike will make it happen next year.

Last updated: 2013-01-22 12:00 AM
Swimming
00:08:40 | 400 yards | 02m 10s / 100yards
Age Group: 22/40
Overall: 0/703
Performance: Bad
Suit:
Course:
Start type: Run Plus:
Water temp: 0F / 0C Current:
200M Perf. Bad Remainder: Below average
Breathing: Bad Drafting:
Waves: Navigation:
Rounding:
T1
Time: 03:02
Performance: Bad
Cap removal: Good Helmet on/
Suit off:
Wetsuit stuck? Run with bike:
Jump on bike:
Getting up to speed:
Biking
00:30:50 | 9.94 miles | 19.55 mile/hr
Age Group: 12/40
Performance: Good
Wind: Some
Course: The course had some small hills. Nothing huge, but enough to keep me under 20 mph.
Road: Potholes  Cadence:
Turns: Cornering:
Gear changes: Hills:
Race pace: Drinks:
T2
Time: 01:47
Overall:
Riding w/ feet on shoes
Jumping off bike
Running with bike
Racking bike
Shoe and helmet removal
Running
00:24:14 | 03.11 miles | 07m 51s  min/mile
Age Group: 22/40
Performance:
Course: Out and back on a jogging trail.
Keeping cool Drinking
Post race
Weight change: %
Overall:
Mental exertion [1-5]
Physical exertion [1-5]
Good race? Ok
Evaluation
Course challenge Just right
Organized? Yes
Events on-time? Yes
Lots of volunteers? Yes
Plenty of drinks?
Post race activities: Good
Race evaluation [1-5] 4

{postbutton}
2013-06-04 9:03 PM

User image

Veteran
Dayton
Subject: Hawk Island Triathlon

2013-06-05 4:02 AM
in reply to: #4766870

User image

Regular
Caerphilly, Wales, uk.
Subject: RE: Hawk Island Triathlon
Great race Tom. I think I was in the same position as you with regards to ows. My first one I had a total panick attack and spent about 90% of the swim doing breast stroke. My 2nd swim went way better. I still got a bit freaked by the weeds up around my neck, but held it together a lot better.

Ref the tri top. You should try it on when you go to a pool swim to see if there is much drag. Surely they are designed for swimming in?
2013-06-05 5:41 AM
in reply to: Richardsdrr

User image

Veteran
Dayton
I did try swimming in the tri top.  I could feel it slow me down a bit.  Not hugely, but it makes some kind of a difference.  The question being, does it take more time to put it on in transition?
2013-06-05 6:25 AM

User image

Master
Englewood, Florida

Great job on the race Tom. You mention a few things to work on and a few points that you are happy with, so that sounds like success to me. In regards to the top, I have found that the drag you may feel on the swim slows you down WAY less then the dance you are doing trying to get it on while you are wet in T1.  Keep swimming and like Darren stated, you'll be more comfortable in the open water next time.

Great job, nice and speedy!

2013-06-05 8:57 AM
in reply to: cdban66

User image

Master
Raleigh, NC area
Nice season opener!
2013-06-05 9:03 AM
in reply to: jmkizer

User image

Master
Raleigh, NC area
I saw that you mentioned something about the elite group.  If that's the USAT division that you are referring to, you need to qualify for that.

2013-06-05 9:25 AM

User image

Master
Tri top stuck under pits? I might panic on the swim or have shoe issues, but there's a problem I should never have. hahaha. Alrighty! First OWS is under your belt... well, when you buy one. Just make sure it's softer elastic for if you ever have it against your skin. I think swim issues are normal... my second one went 100x better than first. And 1:08? No shame there. My fastest I could ever hope for is still slower than that. LOL. Sounds like a good time with your team! Congrats on learning so much :D
2013-06-05 10:36 AM
in reply to: 4agoodlife

User image

Master
Orlando
Congratulations on a great race, even with the issues you experienced. As far as swimming without the tri top - that's no fair, we women have to wear tops and deal with the drag, so you guys should get that same joy . On second thought, never mind, keep the top off so we get to enjoy both the sight of topless men and the dance you do in T1 trying to shirt up!
2013-06-05 12:48 PM
in reply to: amd723

User image

Master
Rio Rancho, NM

Well done and I like how you've analyzed your day to make changes for your next race.

I wonder if rolling your shirt would work similar to the way people roll their socks and sleeves for after the swim...

2013-06-05 6:41 PM
in reply to: amd723

User image

Veteran
Dayton

Originally posted by amd723 Congratulations on a great race, even with the issues you experienced. As far as swimming without the tri top - that's no fair, we women have to wear tops and deal with the drag, so you guys should get that same joy . On second thought, never mind, keep the top off so we get to enjoy both the sight of topless men and the dance you do in T1 trying to shirt up!

Oh you're very funny.

2013-06-05 6:42 PM
in reply to: jmkizer

User image

Veteran
Dayton

Originally posted by jmkizer I saw that you mentioned something about the elite group.  If that's the USAT division that you are referring to, you need to qualify for that.

There was nothing USAT about this event.  That category was for people that could go under 60 min for the course.  On a good day I could do that if I swam well, had good transitions and ran well.

2013-06-05 6:42 PM

User image

Veteran
Dayton
Originally posted by cdban66

Great job on the race Tom. You mention a few things to work on and a few points that you are happy with, so that sounds like success to me. In regards to the top, I have found that the drag you may feel on the swim slows you down WAY less then the dance you are doing trying to get it on while you are wet in T1.  Keep swimming and like Darren stated, you'll be more comfortable in the open water next time.

Great job, nice and speedy!

Good point Chris.  I might just wear it next time.

2013-06-07 9:16 AM

User image

Pennsylvania

Dealing with your first OWS and just coming off an injury, you had a good race, a very good race.  Sounds like your knee performed well and without pain, yay!  How fun to be there with your team and teammates!

I agree with the others on the tri top - as long as it is tight fitting and not loose and doesn't have any pockets that stick out, it shouldn't have much drag, and even if it does it's still gotta be better than trying to fight putting it on over your wet bod. 

Nice job!

2013-06-07 11:05 PM

User image

Melon Presser

FOXAAAAAAAY congratulations!!!

First OWS in the books. You did great. It's called, "experience."

Oh yeah. Tri tops are impossible to get on when wet ... gee such useful information NOW, right?

2013-06-09 4:22 PM
in reply to: TriAya

User image

Veteran
Dayton
Originally posted by TriAya

FOXAAAAAAAY congratulations!!!

First OWS in the books. You did great. It's called, "experience."

Oh yeah. Tri tops are impossible to get on when wet ... gee such useful information NOW, right?

Too true.

General Discussion-> Race Reports!
{postbutton}
General Discussion Race Reports! » Hawk Island Triathlon Rss Feed  
RELATED POSTS

5th Annual Hawk Island Triathlon (Hawk-I-Tri)

Started by hamiltks10
Views: 1554 Posts: 1

2011-06-05 7:35 PM hamiltks10

Started by birdog41
Views: 1384 Posts: 1

2011-06-05 4:11 PM birdog41

Started by erikh7500
Views: 1057 Posts: 1

2011-06-05 3:51 PM erikh7500

Hawk Island Triathlon (Hawk-I-Tri)

Started by Nole Runner
Views: 792 Posts: 1

2009-06-22 7:23 AM Nole Runner

Hawk Island Triathlon

Started by emmr30
Views: 1411 Posts: 1

2007-06-08 6:27 PM emmr30
RELATED ARTICLES
date : January 26, 2012
author : dantheman1123
comments : 1
My first triathlon was at age 56. At first I was just the cameraman at my daughter's first triathlon, then I am doing the races that she has done.

date : November 29, 2011
author : trmat79
comments : 2
A story about the motivation to overcome everyday challenges
date : October 4, 2011
author : MikeyT1298
comments : 6
First time triathlete conquers swim struggle and finishes at the front of the pack

date : August 8, 2011
author : Gina60
comments : 16
I can't run a seven-minute mile anymore, but that doesn't take away from the joy of finishing
date : June 27, 2011
author : pyroman1_1
comments : 3
Lake Havasu Tri 3/19/2011

date : April 27, 2011
author : brumby11
comments : 5
An impending baby inspires a father to become fit, along the way discovering world of triathlon
date : August 21, 2008
author : vm354
comments : 1
How Pilates training helped a wanna-be triathlete realize the goal of completing a half-Ironman, Ironman 70.3 Rhode Island.

date : July 30, 2006
author : bcshoe
comments : 0
My first attempt two years ago was not so successful when a deck nail found its way into my foot a week before the race. But I kept plugging away the last couple of years to stay healthy and get back.